• Published 19th Mar 2012
  • 1,711 Views, 19 Comments

Unforgiven Winter - Rambo



It has been years and Twilight looks through her Scrap Book that has been collecting dust for time.

  • ...
11
 19
 1,711

Unforgiven Winter

Unforgiven Winter

By: Rambo


"Funny...funny how just a few days ago I was waking up from my bed... hoping to see someone in front of my eyes, someone I could call my own till the day I die. What did I get in return? This endless loop of havoc and mayhem, a nightmare as some may call it. I never wanted any of this to happen, I just wanted to come home and take him back, take everyone I left behind back, instead I only brought them a painful curse that was meant for me, haunting them since the year I left them all. What kind of friend am I? I know what must be done, my friends have done nothing to deserve such misery, but... I don't want to die..."


"I don't want to die... I don't want to die... I don't want to die... I don't want to die... I don't want to die... I don't want to die..."

Twilight couldn't make up whether she was repeating what she had said or her voice echoed through the caverns she flew through. It was an enormous cave indeed, big enough for their to be a city in fact the size of Ponyville. The cave was starting to get smaller but only by a SMALL margin yet enough for it to be noticeable, still very large however. Her horn produced a light to guide her through the pitch black cave with ease. Her eyes may have been fixed on what was ahead but her mind was more focused on the safety of Hubert and Kale. If they were to fail she would certainly lose both Hubert and Rainbow Dash, as for Kale, she's grown up with him long enough to know he can take care of himself. Him being dead was even more reason for her not to worry on him too much. The guardians weren't the main threat though, it was the horde of the wolves she called.

Whether or not they could stun the guards long enough for them to slip through didn't change the fact the entire army of darkness would come chasing after them looking for an actual feast of bone and flesh, not the taste of snow and hate. She flew for what felt like 20 minutes but in reality, the cold made her tired faster, she's only been in flight for 5 minutes at most. The cave was still it's large and empty hollow shape like it was when she first entered it. A few bats that were purely white flew right under her, leaving a trail of a transparent white glow that disappeared a few seconds after they dispersed.

Twilight let out a heavy sigh of fatigue before she settled onto the ground for a rest. "Got to... catch my breath first then back down these caverns, in fact-" she stood up from the rock she sat on. "Might as well kill time with a cool down, i'll make distance this way and rest up the wings"

She began to notice her wings were losing their glow, such a result only means they were starting to become fragile and would shatter either on their own or with a force strong enough to shatter them. While walking down the long and steep caverns; she noticed a small trail of water leading down various paths she could have easily made a mistake with. For example, at one point down the road, there came a moment where there was an option to take a left or right.

Her wing strength was better than before but still needed it's well rest, at the very least warm them a little to make them more flexible instead of having to forcefully move clanky near frozen wings. Walking farther down she came across 6 spaciously laid out flat rocks in a circle with the middle have a hole full of dead dry and frozen grass alone with 2 pieces of charcoal.She noticed the entire cave was covered with many plants but were all dead because of the winter's cold. Aiming her horn directly down the small hole, she fired off a very fiery blast of magic, lighting up a small area, much like a miniature bonfire. Twilight was careful not to warm her wings too much considering the fact she didn't want to suffer the same fate as Rarity's wings had so long ago during Rainbow Dash's contest in Cloudsdale.

She stare into the black and white fire, missing it's notorious red and gold embers that once gave her heat with color before Syra casted the twisted spell that made everything run on some sort of classic horror filter. As deep as she was in the cave, she could hear the yelp and silencing of a timberwolf all the way towards the entrance. Her worry was no longer a factor that affected her, Twilight figured her friends were more than capable of handling two clunky guards.

It was quiet, dark, and she was alone in it, being consumed by the dark she fear she may be slaughtered by some passerbye wolf, hungry to feed on meat. "Where could she be? she asked herself out loudly. "She could be anymore in these caves, I just wish Hubert was here so Rainbow Dash could make out her exact location from x-raying the walls or whatever spiritual garbage it was I saw them do out there... didn't Hubert say he had the ability to see it as well? Nevermind that, I just need to find her before it's too late for not only us but all of Equestria... but where could she be?!"

"But I'm right here Twi-Twi..."

Twilight looked to her right to see that among the flat rocks that were formed in a circle, she had the full company of Syra. Only Syra here was as herself looking of flesh and blood instead of using Rainbow Dash's body and or using her ghastly, spirit identity. Twilight jumped up and stood in a fighting position, charging her horn to create a powerful blast that had enough power to make a small hole in the cave. Syra didn't pay any attention to Twilight at all, instead all she did was raise her hoof at her and out came a very small yet very artic-like breeze at her. It was cold enough to send chills down her spine and force her to cancel her attack.

"S-S-S-Sy-SYRA!" Twilight called out to her in desperation. She acknowledged her call but didn't show any body language. "Twilight, i'm so... cold, so very cold Twilight" said Syra with fumes of her warm breathe escaping to the cold atmosphere around them. Twilight usually almost always trusts her instincts and here she hated to trust them. Her instincts told her that she was non-hostile, in fact, she came seeking for help and guidance, not a fight.

"I'm so cold Twilight... why am I so cold?" she questioned her again. It was faster than the blink of an eye that Syra turned around and was now in direct eye contact with the tired magenta unicorn. Her eyes were there but empty, like a zombie, forever to roam in spirit with no soul or destination. Twilight felt her presence will be harmless and sat on the flat rock she originally sat at before she had jumped off in surprise. Syra just kept breathing slowly having her breathe crystallized into small particles of snow. The living unicorn looked on the ground trying to make out if this was some sick illusion or reality.

"It's been a long time Twilight... it's so good to see you again!" exclaimed Syra. When Twilight turned to face her change of heart friend, her eyes dilated to see the spirit actually smile for once. The apparition stood from the large flat rock and carefully walked over to Twilight, as if she were a fragile ancient being. "Oh Twilight, why must I be so rude? Come and give your bestfriend a hug, just like old times!" she said happily. She sat on her rump and extended her forehooves to welcome in the hug she expected to receive from Twilight.

The purple mare was very confused but feared that not obliging, would anger the spirit. Both mares, friends from so many years ago, locked together in a hug that melted Syra's heart...literally. Twilight broke off from the hug and stepped back; the entire front of her body was wet. She looked back up at Syra only to see her body that appeared to be of flesh was the illusion. "Oh dear... don;t worry Twi, it'll all come back, watch" said Syra before miniature balls of snow formed and jumped straight into the open chest cavity that Twilight melted from her hug. Syra giggled when she noticed Twilight's mouth hit the floor at what she was wtinessing happen.

"It's clear to me that you still have that raging love for our shattered friendship Twilight, your burning love literally just melted my poor...cold...heart...". She patted down the excess amount of snow into her body before she looked back up at her friend with a jolly smile. Twilight had just about enough of the grand illusion at play, her rage returned before she lashed out at Syra angrily but yet calmly. "What the hell do you want from me Syra?! What sick joke are you trying to pull off!" she scolded out. Syra began to pace backwards, avoiding the raging unicorn. "First you call for me, then you haunt me and my friends, what have I done to deserve your reign of terror?! I should strike you down where you stand so I can finally forgive your winter!"

Syra continued to retreat until she hit the wall of the cave and stood their helplessley being scolded by Twilight until she finally spoke out. "Twilight my dear friend! I didn't want this for you... I didn't want any of this for you... it's all a LIE, you have to believe me! That Syra that's haunted you... it was NEVER me!" she yelled out in desperation, cowarding behind a mound of snow and rubble. Twilight melted the snow away with a mighty bolt of magic she shot out while walking forward, continuing to harass her until answers were spilled. "After so much torment, you actually expect me to believe you?!" she fired off another bolt right next to her face, the black putrid smoke from the blast evaporating from the wall.

Syra was at a lost for words, like she couldn't find her voice, her only response was a nod with a wry smile across her face. Twilight couldn't believe after this harassment she still had the nerve to continue with what she assumed was a lie. Again her instinct kicked in and again they told her she was harmless, that Syra was speaking the truth. "Explain, now" said Twilight with her teeth clenched. Syra chuckled lightly before her body became perfectly stiff except for her head. Slowly from the very bottom of her hooves, Twilight could see ice start to grow on her.

"For years i've been imprisoned not by myself, but by winter, forever roaming this cave, still looking for my home, please take me home Twilight... i'm so cold... the deal I can never take back, anger took over and it resulted in my death... in Kale's death, i'm so sorry Twilight! So sorry!" she began to cry in her stiff position quietly enough for her to prevent echoes.

"Save me Twilight"

"What?"

"I'm so cold...save me" with that, the ice started to grow out like patches all over her body until she was one complete ice sculpture, the same look Twilight had seen Rarity had a few days ago after she exited the Bazaar. Right in front of her, the ice sculpture turned into small particles of snow, much like sawdust, and her remains disappeared farther into the cave towards Twilight's destination. "Enough rest..." she thought to herself. Again, Twilight sprinted forward before again taking off to continue the small journey farther into the caverns, following the flakes of snow Syra trailed behind, her journey however wasn't too far, after only 5 minutes of flight, she arrived at a large hold surrounded by blue torches with a black core.

It amazed Twilight how such a large mountain could produce such a complicated and yet breath-taking natural maze. She could see the entrance was the last obstacle she would have to pass before finally entering the domain of the wretched phantom... or so that's what she thought until she took a closer look at the entrance.

Guarding the entrance was a pony larger than Big Macintosh. There a meters away from Twilight stood a huge, white, bulk and muscular pony with a malicious looking helmet decorated in obsidian. He bore a spear mounted onto a make-shift saddle of his. The obsidian that decorated his helmet was there not for show, but to impale an opposing enemy by simply ramming into them. His upper body was armored with many black and white gems while his entire right shoulder was plated in more of the vile black stone. Twilight hovered above the ground before setting foot on it. There she stood yards in front of this monsterous, armored mustang the likes which she has never seen before. He readied his spear and licked the tip of it, drawing what seemed to be blood, from his tounge. "True to Syra, your head will add as a nice trophy to her, then she can finally rest"

"Sartoris, is it? You have mu-"

"HOLD YOUR TOUNGE YOU WITCH!" with that he adjusted his spear and started to rub his left forehoove onto the ground, readying to charge, Twilight did the same. Both stood their giving each other a piercing stare that challenged Fluttershy's. The second a sound broke the silence from within the cave, both charged towards each other with Sartoris having the godlike speed that Twilight couldn't match, she had no time to react/adapt to the situation. She couldn't move from the obsidian tip fast enough.

"RETRIBUTION!"

His voice was thick, fierce, and not to mention frightening. Why Syra created such a monstrous soldier was beyond Twilight's thoughts, all she knew was that his spear was coming and she had little to no time to react, the tip was already millimeters away from her back leg. Twilight had no time to be on the offensive but instead on the defensive, whipping her wing right wing out, she re-guided the spear and had it run the very tip of it along her right backleg instead of having the spear impale it right on the spot. The beginning of their dilemma was much like jousting, except here Twilight had no weapon, or so at least she thought she didn't. Remembering when she summoned her wings, she remembered she crafted them both out of faith and strength, it wasn't the fragile and elegant looking wings she had casted onto Rarity, no, these wings were made for agility and slicing not only air, but foes.

Extending the right wing softly, she could see the edges were aligned with razor sharp, ice-frosted-like feathers. She began to limp lightly but nonetheless, readied herself to attack yet again, another joust. "I figured as much, you really are the wastrel Syra had spoken of, I see no need for a challenge, I'll be sure to leave your corpse rotting in here" said Sartoris as fixed his helmet for a better view on the situation. "I admire your determination Sartoris, but it's such a shame your only a dog to Syra, allow me to put you down like one" replied Twilight. "Oooh, that was a bit too harsh... note to self: Never again say such insults, even if they are your enemy" she said in her mind. Angering Sartoris however was her main goal, adding rage and strength to his next attack would unbalance him, making his move predictable.

The enraged stallion's eyes shone out of his helmet, shooting out a bright beam of white that nearly blinded Twilight. This however was his reaction to his anger, a spurt of blinding light to show his absolute rage, the perfect opportunity for Twilight to strike. He roared out in power and charged, Twilight this time was quick enough to adapt this time and clever enough as well. Why run when you could put the wings to good use? As both of them drew closer and closer, she could see that Sartoris was aiming for her chest, putting in his body nereby. Twilight corkscrewed to deflect the spear and with the next wing, sliced upwards to lay out a clean cut on his lower un-armored abdomen. His scream of pain matched that of the wolf she had blasted away in her nightmare from a few nights ago. She stood there watching him yell out and cursing her.

"THIS ISN'T OVER! I WON'T GO OUT LIKE THIS!"

He snapped the front section of the spear off with his teeth and strapped it onto a similar looking gauntlet a guardian from the outside had. Before she even knew it, he was already sprinting towards her with his obsidian decorated helmet ready to impale. "So..." she side stepped Sartoris, leaving him to sprint only a few meters more before his head slammed into the wall of the cave, "Predictable"

Twilight brushed off the crums of debris that had fallen onto herself from the impact of Sartoris and walked towards the hole that was not guarded by harmless lightposts lit with a blue flame. The cave rubble began to get only a tad bit bigger before she finally looked back to see a stallion, fully consumed by hatred and pent up rage. "YOU MUST DIE NOW SPARKLE" he scorched out. He broke free from his helmet and revealed his face at last. Right there in front of Twilight stood him, the same stallion she had rejected but had left behind to have him defend her from the wolves along with Hubert and Rainbow Dash. There in front of her stood Kale.


Checkpoint

Go get something to drink or whatever. It's always nice to have some water nearby


"What's wrong Twilight, cat got your tongue?"

She was speechless and confused now more than ever. "This can't be real! It can't! I saw him fighting off one of Syra's goons outside! This ISN'T him!" she yelled inside her head. She paced backwards very similarly to how the spirit of Syra did when she was harassing her. The red-eyed Kale got closer and closer, taunting her and putting her down with his words.

"You left me and Syra to die Twilight, how could you live with yourself?"

"I-I didn't! I never did!"

"Rejecting the truth only makes it worse, you killed us, are you still living with this lie you implanted on your head?"

"Wha-what lie?! I made no lies! You're not real!"

Twilight stood in place having her forehooves bash her head in from the insanity she was embracing, Kale was circling her, still taunting her with lies, closing his circle in tighter with every revolution.

"Was my love not enough for us to be together? Did I offend you enough with my love that it cost me my life?"

"I loved you too Kale, but I just didn't want it to be all too quick, we needed time apart!"

"Time apart you say? I guess that time has reached an unlimited destination now that you have slain me"

With that Kale slammed his hoof over her head, making Twilight faceplant onto the stone ground that was covered lightly in snow. Her nose was sore but not broken thankfully, she was still at a lost for words and stood back up again. Kale mocked her before laying a crippling kick to her stomach, knocking the wind out of her. His red eyes grew brighter and brighter with every harming blow he laid on her. Twilight couldn't stand up against Kale, she was convinced it was the real him. "Stand up Sparkle, I want to see your face when you die" he said. Twilight wanted it to end quickly... so she stood up just as Kale had commanded. "Good, now Sparkle, you will now know true power and have your winter forgiven at last" Kale was now lost in his own world, knowing that he was the dominant being.

"You really aren't going to let it end like this are you Twilight?"

"Of course not"

*Giggle* "You're a bold one, i'll be ready to help"

With a wry smile and her mane covering her eyes, she awaited for Kale to pick his gauntlet mounted hoof off the ground to stab Twilight right between the eyes. Once he did, Twilight uppercutted him with her left wing having missed his chin and instead slicing him across his right eye. He was again screaming in pain and jabbing the gauntlet in all directions while stammering around aimlessly. When near by one of the light posts, an invisible force knocked over one, having the fire and the liquid that kept it burning spill onto Kale. It was a tragic yet satisfying thing to see, watching her foe burn alive but then again having the face of the one she loved. Twilight, as kind as she was, couldn't bear to see the being suffer any more. The snow which he was made of melted off quickly, revealing a somewhat ice skeletal structure. Twilight charged her horn with that same bolt of magic before releasing. A direct impact to his head, relinquishing him from his misery. His body stammered around for a few more seconds before it dropped lifelessly onto the ground, having the blue fire melt down his corpse into liquid.

"You aren't Kale, you're just another unforgiven wretch"


"Glad you could make it so soon Sparkle, I'm surpirsed Sartoris didn't prove to be much of an obstacle for you, I guess now I can kill your personally for my sake"

Twilight Sparkle now ventured into the dark cave only to be greeted shortly by a wall of white fog. She knew walking through the fog would finally lead to meeting the ultimate foe, winters spirit, Syra. She was nervous, dreadfully nervous and yet all at the same time, determined. With one last deep breathe, she laid one hoof on the fog and tore inside. Once at the other side, the white fog disappeared and dispersed in all directions, hiding in the shadows. All that was left was a corridor that was large enough for a boulder to pass through... what a horrible thought.

Her horn glow was no use, it was as if the the darkness was eternal in the corridor, her light shone none of it away, instead the darkness consumed her light. It was time that Twilight rely on faith instead of sight. Closing her eyes, she carefully guided herself forward, listening closely to any suspicious activity. Only a few meters in and a growl of a starving wolf interrupted her, Twilight was unphased however, she continued walking forward, no matter how fearsome and near the sound of a barking wolf was, it was all an illusion trying to break her spirit and sanity she was sure of it.

Even with your eyes closed, it is still possible to see a small amount of light through the think skin of your eyelids. Twilight opened her eyes again to see a a dim beam of light in the distance with the silhouette of figure standing in the front. The unicorn narrowed her eyes in anger as she began to trot quickly to the end of the large corridor. When she exited, she was in an enormous room that was in the shape of a dome. The room was the size of half a Colosseum that you would think they have built in Canterlot by now. Twilight felt queezy looking around at the grotesque decorations, let alone stand in the area.

In the center of the room was a massive orb with the aura of all the colors in a spectrum but the core was as black as the night. There was something about the orb that Twilight admired, every time she stare at it, all her troubles went away, she could see her past and all the events she's been through. Every few meters there was one of those lightposts that were similar to the ones placed outside, lighting the walls lowly. The orb was like that of a Gypy's. She got closer to the orb, admiring all her accomplishments of her past she was seeing before her in the orb.

I remember that...

Said Twilight when the scene of defeating Discord had come, the next memory was when she was troubling herself when deciding who was coming with her to the Grand Galloping Gala when she had only received two tickets. Twilight sat down to enjoy the show of her life playing right before her. "That was the day alright" she witnessed herself greeting all her friends she had now the first day she arrived in Ponyville, it felt great to re-see her life, when that memory occurred, the Orb went black and resumed it's original state. Twilight sighed in satisfaction and presumed her sweep of the dome room, there didn't seem to be any exit to the possibility of Syra escaping was unlikely, the real question was why would she want to escape in the first place?

She turned her head to see ancient bones scattered throughout the room, not just of Ponies but of other creatures such as griffons and camels. She felt that same terrifying presence again like something was watching her every move. She jerked her head violently to various directions hoping that something was watching her so she can dismiss the thought, but it was nothing but darkness and the low illuminated walls of the same blue fire that burned outside the dome. Suddenly the orb turned back on again with a loud disoriented sound that curled the ends of Twilight's mane. Caught off guard, she stood on her feet instantly ready to blast the orb into pieces due to the unexpected fright.

Another memory was displayed, a memory she never remembers happening but yet it felt so alive.


The wolves were everywhere on all sides of the ridges during a full moon. It was a memory through the eyes of Twilight herself, standing amongst the many wolves, all of them watching her for some sort of signal. "That places looks... familiar..." Twilight said to herself as she watched the memory. She gasped in shock when she took careful sight at the scenery, it was the same ridges and stairs that were just outside the caverns she ventured through not too long ago, the same area she had left Kale and Hubert behind.

"You think Twilight gave us the right directions Kale?"

"I'm pretty sure Sye, it's not like her to mess up on her plans, you know how Twi is"

"Our Twilight..."

"Sweet Celestia... Kale and Syra!" Twilight whispered to herself.

The Twilight inside the orb was staring at them the entire time until she finally looked back up at the wolves raising her hoof up. "On my signal, I too want bloodshed, I can't let myself be the ending, we were a force, a security, she was the one who put our work to duty, to ensure winter will always be safe. Anger was the only sport me and my brothers danced around, with enough chaos, a new one of us will spawn..." she looked away from Kale and Syra who were merely chatting. "It's been centuries and I'm the last one, I can't let our rule over this season be broken. As if there ponies were even important, Sartoris!" she called out. The same stallion that Twilight had defeated just outside the fog appeared, with the same armor but this time a helmet of stone. His eyes were hidden in the blackness of his helmet and his armor was nothing more than just freshly sanded wood. "Wait for my call, see the one down there to the left? Take his character. He's a bold one, it will match your attitude perfectly, take hers too, trust me on this" she finished saying.

"At once my lov- er I mean lord"

Twilight jumped down from ridge to crevice until she reached the bottom where Syra and Kale were waiting. "Twi-Twi!" shouted out Syra running over to hug her. Kale just rubbed his forehoof softly mumbling out "hi". "Twilight dear, do tell what is it you brought us here for? Are we going to enter this cave? Adventure in the night! I like the sound of it!" said Syra, clapping her hooves together. Kale was uneasy on the subject of going into the cave but went with the flow. Twilight began explaining how there was a secret room in back of the cave where it was said Commander Hurricane, Princess Platinum, and Chancellor Puddinghead settled their disputes between each other's races. Syra's blonde mane shone nicely in the moonlight when she adjusted it correctly. The two agreed to follow Twilight towards the historic site.

The orb showed Twilight, Kale, and Syra all walk into the cave until the moonlight began to disappear; the orb was black and empty, it's rainbow aura was gone, after what Twilight thought was the end of the show the next sound that came were the deadly words.

"STRITUS MAKTOVICH!"


"What?!" the orb went black alright, but no more sound came out, the show really did seem to be over. As soon as Twilight stood up in shock, she began to breathe in heavily and rapidly. "That wasn't me! That couldn't have been me! I never said any of that! the thoughts continued to circle through her head, the memory was real but did she really say and commit such actions? It was beyond her knowledge. Twilight was scared out of her mind, finding the exit, she sprinted towards it trying to leave the dome before he sanity snapped. Something wasn't right, something about that particular area felt evil, it felt like madness, suicidal even. Escaping was the only hope she had. "Going somewhere Sparkle?"

Twilight turned around to see a life drained Rainbow Dash's hoof inches away her face before it connected. Rainbow Dash held Twilight's head in place while she used the other hoof to bash the side of Twilight's skull viciously. Now nearly senseless, Rainbow Dash then proceeded to twirl her bashing fist before delivering a crippling blow to her chest, making Twilight fly a few feet and clash onto the ground having her back scrape against the rough ground. Syra's voice emitted from Rainbow Dash's body, making the end of Twilight's hairs curl. "You actually think I'm letting you escape after all these years have passed? After you killed me you really think i can just let you waltz out of here?! NEVER!"

The beaten mare stood wobbily stood back up spitting out a tooth that had fallen out. "You're aren't her... you aren't Syra!" Twilight ran straight to the bodily possessed Rainbow Dash until she was only a few feet away which then she turned around and bucked with her hind legs straight delivering a blow to the stomach. The wind was completely wiped out from Rainbow Dash forcing her to drop to her knees. "Damn... these... mortal bodies" she mumbled. Seeing as how Syra was weakened, Twilight resumed her assault on her. Just as Twilight was going in for a headbutt, the corrupted Dash used the same method as Twilight had used on Sartoris, use the razor talons to slice her. Syra may have been fast but Twilight was faster, seeing the oncoming attack, she jerked her head back, only receiving the very edge of her throat slit, didn't even go through the windpipe.

"Damn you Sparkle! Just DIE!"

The ghost flew upwards towards the ceiling of the dome which was covered in darkness, Twilight lost sight of her, but a sound of cracking ice kept her on the alert. Out from the dome ceiling came hundreds of stakes, icicles to be exact. Being the clover pony she is, Twilight stood perfectly still and only fired at the only single stake that was dropping on her spot. The small blast radius however sent out very small shards of the ice in all directions and producing a obscuring smoke. When the smoke died down, Twilight hovered a little above the ground to avoid stepping on the now-melting ice shards.

"You aren't Syra! You're a monster!" she yelled out. She expected for Syra to be hiding in the shadows just as she did in her nightmare. "Words like that can get you killed Sparkle, allow me to demonstrate" It was like a bolt of lightning just shot out, all Twilight could see was a pegasus of various shades of black (such as gray, light gray, dark gray etc) burst out from the shadows at blazing speed. It was now clear being in Rainbow Dash's body gave her the abilities of Rainbow herself. Syra got hold of Twilight only to corkscrew her headfirst down onto the ground making the earth vibrate and having created a small crater containing a heavily bruised Twilight Sparkle.

Both of them moaned in frustration, the two of them were near exhaustion and panting like dogs without water. Twilight was seeing double, the massive blow to the head was too much to bare. She shook her head to snap out of the double vision to see Syra standing looking at her. "You never were a fighter Twilight" she said followed by howlings of laughter. Twilight was beyond vulnerable having herself corkscrewed to the ground and beaten violently, she was wide open for an attack. After her piercing laugh, Syra bucked the unarmed mare in the face anyways she could with her left forehoof in a steady tempo. Blood was filling up her mouth, her vision was blurring to her death, everything was going dim until nothing but black consumed her eyes.

"Don't lose faith Twilight, don't be a martyr, stay true to what you believe, you know the truth, even if it wasn't presented directly. I love you, don't fail on me when I need you most... when WE need you most, being a wandering spirit like us? Don't let it happen, forgive her, forgive her!"

Forgive her... forgive her... don't be a martyr... need you most...I love you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Already giving up aren't you Sparkle? Such crude actions deserve crude torture" she paused momentarally to examine the surroundings that were lit up partially with full color by the glowing orb in the center of the dome. "When I kill you right now, just remember it's an act of mercy, I'd really love to stay and continue bludeoning you until you beg for death, but I have other plans. Let me end your life, swiftly" Syra dropped the beaten Twilight, having her flop to the ground, lifeless. She dipped her right wing in the snow and blew out an artic breath straight from her mouth, freezing the snow wherever she blew on it. With only her breath, she shaped it to be as razor as obsidian. Picking Twilight back up, she readied her wing.

"It's not my time... not yet"

"Say again sweetie?"

"The time has come for you..."

Twilight used that same sword like spell to her horn again as she did during her nightmare in the twin veteran stallion homes. Her magic now created a medium sized blade of about 2 feet long, slicing the side of Syra's cheek, forcing her to release Twilight. As Syra cowarded back attempting to recover, Twilight beamed up her horn, disarming her sword and fired off a bolt of magic straight at Syra's chest, sending her flying back with a black spot of the blast on her chest. Twilight limped over to Syra, dizzy and weakened. The only thing that kept her going were the last words of Kale and her strong will.

At last she reached her, she lay on the ground motioneless and lifeless, it was all over, Syra had been killed by Twilight after all that trouble. She plopped to the ground with her jaw open, it was not her intention to deliver a killing blow, the mystery of the memory she had seen in the orb will never solved. Did Twilight really kill Syra and Kale? Was that really Twilight herself? Did she just kill Syra out of defense or bloodthirst? the questions overloaded her head.

You're a killer, Twilight! A KILLER! You did what had to be done MURDER! Your own friend attacked you and your friends! She deserves no sympathy! Was that Syra?! Or was it a phony?!

The questions nearly caused her to bash her head onto the wall repeatedly until her brains were rammed out. Did Twilight kill her best friend? Was it Syra? She sat down staring down at the lifeless body of the possessed Rainbow Dash, she closed her eyes and let tears stream down her face. It was over...

The End


"This is FAR from over Twilight!"

"Huh?!" she opened her eyes to see black foul putrid fog-like liquid ooze out from Rainbow Dash's mouth until it seeped into the snow. The ground began to shake, icicles of all sized fell around Twilight and the body of Rainbow Dash. The orb in the middle was shapeshifting into grotesque shapes and featuring various memories of Syra, Kale, and Twilight like an out of control slideshow. It still bore it's Rainbow Aura but it the presence no longer felt like happiness and joy, it's presence was evil, dark, hideous. It was like the orb was crafting something from inside, some sort of inner demon was awakening. Twilight stood as ready as she could for the the next event. Her left beaten eye gave her terrible vision and the multiple blows to her head had everything blur for a few seconds and back then back into focus.

A duel of fates would be decided here and now. it was obvious to Twilight whatever would come from the orb was Syra, her perks overpowers Twilight's by a large margin. Out from the liquidy state of the orb came out a hoof then another, then a head that bled black smoke until the entire figure was revealed. Her theory stood correct only Syra had a grotesque pattern to her fur, it was all lined with evil symbols and tattoo like lines that resembled malicious objects. Her eyes were glowing blue this time, a bright cyan blue and her mane have a beautiful breathtaking glow. Tear like patterns formed around her eyes, glowing as well to add the ghostly effect. Her horn was as clear and as beautiful as diamond, how can something so graceful turn out to be such a monster. "Allow me Sparkle, to send you towards the afterlife"

With godlike speed, Syra sprinted to deliver a mindblowing strike to her chest, enough for it to nearly break her rib cage. It was of no use, Twilight had no energy or strength to take her on alone...

Some sound just outside the exit of the dome began to rattle the ceiling and echo through the caverns, a machine like sound. The sounds of the machine going rat-tata-tata-tata-tata-tata in an endless motion. Both of the battling mares looked at the exit listening in closely at the intruder interrupting their fight. They could make the the little faint words of a few ponies speaking. "Twi Twi?" "Do Lung!" "Te- Offensi- 'Ol Relia- tounge Twister with the Rainbo-"

Twilight, full of hope and faith, charged at Syra who was still focusing on the exit, toppling on top of her attempting to pin her down, Syra quickly changed her situation with blasting Twilight away with her own horn and enchanting it with the sword spell. Quick to react, Twilight did the same action. "You could have just stayed home Twilight, you could have just let it all go, you forgot about us before, why come back when we never needed you?!"

She responded with her horn, both unicorns locked into a furious test of strength, seeing which will be the first one to let up. Twilight, having her sight blurred again, wasn't able to hold onto the lock anylonger, the pressure pressed against her forehead was too much for her to handle. Just as the lock was going to come to a conclusion, a pony cried out "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" followed by an explosion that caused debris to fly in all directions.

"Syra Swirlz, meet 'Ol Reliable!"

A beam shot out from the debris, a bright white beam that shone brighter than the surrounding blue torches aimed towards Twilight and Syra. From the debris came out 4 life saving ponies.

Twilight coughed to clean her lungs from the clogging smoke of the wall debris. "I said not a scratch Victor! Damnit!" said Hubert emerging from the gray smoke with his silehoutte being lit up by the strobe light coming from behind him. "Lighten up Hue...". "You cant put a price on Twilight Huey, lighten up" responded the red stallion. When all the debris in the room cleared, there stood four faithful friends ready to assist Twilight. Behind them was a parked contraction that bore a propeller on the top and a pod like body. Mounted under the body was a searchlight and on the right side was a mounted black box with a long black barrel with smoke emerging from it.

"Well well, Syra, it's been a longtime since we last met, tell me, how's it feel to be a major bitch?" asked Charlie with sarcasm. Forgetting the main target that is Twilight, she began walking towards him slowly. "what's your name again you little runt? I'll have you begging for death when i'm through with you!".

"Oh cry me a river, we've put up with shit from Cong, you ain't much" said Victor going to the side of Syra. Twilight was watching the arguement rise amongst the friends but noticed Kale was nowhere to be found. Looking around closely while Syra was distracted, Kale was in the most obvious of spots, right behind her. Down to a whisper he began to brief in Twilight on the plan. "Listen and listen good, this is going to be quick. As far as I know, that black orb is the only thing preventing us from bringing back our colors and spawning a new demon and or creation of evil, it lives and feeds off evil. ALSO, Victor and Charlie have a with with words if you have't noticed by now, attack whenever you have the go, you'll know it when you see it, also, protect Hubert, call this what you may but he has to kiss Rainbow Dash's body... sounds gross but her soul will be able to be safely planted back inside her body" he finished saying.

Twilight was absolutely speechless, her questions of how they were able to survive the wolf invasion, how he knew so much about the situation, even how Charlie and Victor were able to go through the mountain storm... and whatever the hell that 'Ol Reliable machine is! "Questions later... if there are any, now obey and pay attention for the signal!" he demanded. Twilight nodded with her moth partially open, still not too secure of the plan. Kale leaned it to kiss her lightly on the lips before his colors began to fade until his colors faded out completely until nothing but air was there. Twilight could see him materialliaze back to reality in the machine the twins have flown in.

"I'm liking that new glow to your eyes Syra, really makes it shine more than the hair"

"You are too kind Hubert, sadly I can't say the same about your Rainbow Dash's ugly drained mane"

Whatever event played next would be the last. The fate of everyone was decided on that night not by what their actions, but by Twilight's measure of forgivness.


Couldn't post, worked a night shift. Yeah you know the next chapter isn't so long, it's the end though. I can assure you that... at least... you CHOOSE the ending that is. Will you pick Retribution or Redemption?