• Published 19th Mar 2012
  • 1,710 Views, 19 Comments

Unforgiven Winter - Rambo



It has been years and Twilight looks through her Scrap Book that has been collecting dust for time.

  • ...
11
 19
 1,710

Colors of Reunion - Part 1/2

By the way, I DID make an update saying I would make this 2 parts long but deleted the update. Read the ending statements, they will make you happy. Alright? Good.


Previously on Unforgiven Winter...

Twilight gasped when she heard the voice...that damn voice...the same one that has haunted her ever since she discovered the scrap book. "W-W-Who's there?" Stuttered the mare.

"Twilight...

Twilight didn't wait; she created a light with her horn and illuminated the figure from the neck down with her pinkish light. After recognizing the body for a moment, she took a step back so she was barely revealed from the moonlight. "SHOW YOURSELF DAMNIT!" scorched out Twilight. The mysterious pony, stepped forward to finally reveal itself. Right there in the beam of the moonlight, in flesh and bone, not ice like before, stood Syra with her eyes glowing the darkest of all reds to a point where it was nearly black. Syra grinned in Twilight's direction with a mischievous look on her face.

"Twilight dear, come out of the darkness, come, lets dance with the angels"


Mini Update: In case you all are wondering how exactly the Ice Prison looks like (When Rarity was turning to Ice in chapter 2 and such), to give you a visual picture, it's similar to the iceification (is that even a word) in the episode: Hearths Warming Eve, when they were arguing in the cave EXCEPT it's not just a block of ice. Do you all remember Twilight being made out of stone by that cockatrice thing? Well think of both of them combined. Just a heads up if you want a visual picture.


Unforgiven Winter

Chapter 6

Colors of Reunion

Note: Most intense chapter of the story yet. Prepare yourselves.


"Sy-Syra! I can't believe it's you...after all these years..." Twilight started to say but the sentence was finished by the demonic unicorn, "After all these years you remembered us. If it wasn't for that scrapbook of yours you and Kale put together, we would have all been lost forever in your mind."

Twilight was disheartened to hear the words she knew were true. Syra stepped out of the moonlight and began to walk around the shine to Twilight. "You see what you've done here Twilight? Do you see this pain you brought upon all of us? You should have listened to Tyco back in the Bazaar, he warned you not to come back, we all did." said Syra. Twilight's heart began to beat at a normal pace once again, knowing that although Syra meant harm, she was certainly not on the offensive at the moment. Twilight didn't respond, she knew that Syra craved for a response.


"No comment? Nothing at all? Hmph...well then, I can't say I'm not surprised. So many years... so many years it's been... since I've gotten rid of you. So many years it's been since you... killed us" Syra finished with a grin of evil. "I DIDN'T KILL ANYPONY!" yelled back Twilight with rage in her voice. "Says YOU Ms. Sparkle!" Twilight's horn began to glow at the tip, ready to cast a spell at the ghostly pony. "I wouldn't do that if I were you, Sparkle." she paused momentarily. "Who are you to judge your own actions, Twilight? I know what you did, you might not remember, you might have even brushed the thought away from your mind, but Twilight, it has never left your life."


"What are you talking about? You know I would never kill anypony, especially my best friends!" Twilight was starting to get aggravated by Syra's mind games. "That's what I THOUGHT of you, but then we both became victims of you" Syra paused and during her pause, Twilight cut in "You know damn well I didn't do anything! What do you want from me?! Why are you doing this to me Syra!? I loved you, you know it!" Tears were beginning to ease Twilight's rage, but have yet to extinguish it.


"You said it yourself, LOVED. You LOVED me, but more importantly, you LOVED him. Such a sad tale isn't it, Sparkle? You neglect your actions to yourself AND to me? After killing me, you still continue to hide the lie! Sad... very very... sad. You live a lie Twilight... probably the work of that wicked Princess Celestia... you killed me... you killed...Kale" Syra finished, her dark blood eyes narrowed accompanied with a demonic smile that shone as brightly as freshly laid out snow.

"SHUT UP!!!"

Twilight's horn began to illuminate the entire room, before she released not only her tears, but a bolt of a purple projectile right towards the devilish apparition. "It appears I hit a soft spot, haven't I?" said Syra as she laughed away not caring of the incoming projectile. Just before the bolt of magic struck down Syra, she disappeared in the blink of an eye, leaving behind remains of snowflakes and the ice her hooves left behind. The bolt didn't stop, however, it went down the corridor of the house leading towards door, illuminating the walls momentarilly as it passed by before giving off a small explosion as it collided against the wall.


Twilight's sweat was running down her face and splattered on the floor, drop by drop echoed through the house. "SYRA! WHERE ARE YOU!?" the unicorn's behavior was unreal, something greater than anything she's ever felt before, rage. Twilight felt something brush right along her tail that was moist and yet cold. She quickly turned around to fire another leathal bolt of magic at the moving figure. Again, the bolt flew across the room lighting up a small area as it flew by and it hit the wall. She stepped into the light of the moon and planted her feet there to have maximum visibility of the area.

"You never really were the 'fighter' type Twi, I guess that's why you didn't fight for what you loved" said Syra with her voice sounding disoriented. "Show yourself!" yelled out the mare in frustration. "Right over here!" Syra said from across the room, a blue light from the tip of her horn revealed her position.

Twilight cast another shot of the magic bolt straight towards Syra, only to see that she had missed again. "You just have the worst aim" giggled the apparition. "Face me you coward!” The pattern continued for about a minute until Twilight was exhausted from firing multiple bursts of the lethal magic. The entire black room had no change of scenery but it did in fact smell of smoke and ashes.

"I-I-I can't do it anymore!" cried out Twilight before she continued her sentence once she took another breath. "I can't do it anymore! I can't! Syra! What do you want from me!? I don't ever remember killing anypony, I would NEVER kill anypony!" Twilight collapsed onto the ground breathing heavily, trying to regain the stamina she had lost in the useless fight. "I expected so much more from you, but as I said already, you're not much of a fighter" Twilight could feel the presence of Syra right behind her. Syra laughed from her regular tone of voice into a demonic laughter from the bowels of hell.

"Gotcha..." whispered Twilight to herself. She formed a smirk on her face as her horn began to glow once again. Syra was lost in her own laughter that it had been un-noticeable for her to see Twilight's new actions. With the purple aura surrounding her horn, Twilight formed a wedge around it (her horn) while she still lay on the ground. Twilight concentrated her last remaining amount of strength to her legs timing her action perfectly. "I'm so sorry Syra..." With those last words leaving her mouth, Twilight stood up in a flash and faced her once best friend.

Still in her deep trance of laughter, Syra still had not noticed Twilight until she heard her hooves smack against the wooden floorboards. "I'M SORRY!" yelled Twilight just as she lunged at Syra with the magical wedge formed around her horn. "Twilight NO, wa- UGH!" Syra stood with her fore-hooves up into the air, attempting to ward off Twilight's attack but it was no use. The magenta unicorn sank her enchanted horn deep into Syra's heart, feeling the pain she has caused to her friend. "W-Wa-Wait..." Syra finished saying, her dark blood eyes began to go darker and darker. Just before the color in her eyes went black, Twilight whispered once again "I'm sorry..."


She continued to stand with her horn lodged into Syra's heart with tears streaming out from her eyes like a trail of water going down a hill. "I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry..." Twilight kept repeating those two words for what seemed like an eternity. After a few seconds, Syra's dead weight fell onto Twilight, giving more pressure onto Twilight's neck. She looked down on the floor, seeing nothing but her tattered hooves and never once looked up to see the dead face of Syra.


She didn't mind, didn't mind at all of her dead friend lying on her. Twilight had killed her best friend and for what reason? For driving Twilight to near insanity? After killing Syra, Twilight began to wonder if this was the final push it took for her to step into the mad world. Liquid trickled down Twilight's still lightly glowing horn and onto her face to accompany her tears to the bottom of her cheeks. Twilight knew the blood of her friend was sliding down her face but there was something off of the blood, Syra's blood was ice cold. A small droplet landed upon her top lip, edging its way slowly to bottom one.


Twilight couldn't help it; she had licked the cold blood droplet straight from her lip to taste the odd blood. "Wait... this isn't..." the taste of the supposed blood was cold and flavorless. It was no blood that had been spilling onto her face; it was very icy water that had been spilled. After realizing it was just mere water, a small stream suddenly started to pour down onto Twilight's face from where she had impaled Syra. While her entire head was being drenched by the unfamiliar liquid, she stood there trying to decipher whether it be blood or water she was being covered with.

"Was Syra so evil that her heart ran as cold as her blood? Was she really a cold blood lunatic, or is it just plain regular water I am bathing in?" Her imagination ran wild with the several ideas that came to mind and the thoughts only made her shiver in fear, until a sudden action in the scene took place.


Twilight stood there being covered in whatever type of liquid it was with Syra's deadweight, when Syra began to move again. She was completely caught off guard and was not prepared for such a shocking event to follow her murder. Slowly, Twilight moved her eyes from the floor to the face of Syra. The slayed unicorn's skin was whitening more than it already was and a blue-ish tone was being mixed in as well.

"I'm amazed at you Twilight, I really am" said Syra in a faint voice. Twilight's heart skipped a beat, making her nearly pass out. "She's...she's ALIVE?" she said in her mind. "No dear, I'm not, I never was to begin with". said Syra , followed by a pattern of light laughs. "How did she even know what I was-", Twilight was cut off. "Thinking?" Syra finished her sentence.


The purple unicorn's jaw dropped to not only see Syra's blood red eye color returning, but to also hear her speak, even after impaling her. "Bu-but-but how did you know I was about to say that?" Twilight demanded. Syra's entire body was starting to liquefy into a cold water, drip by drip hitting the floor. "You can't kill what's already dead Twi" laughed out Syra. After saying that, she completely turned to water and drenched Twilight with herself. The cold water completely soaked Twilight from head to hoof and with the combination of the winter's weather blowing through the window, the water started to freeze right onto Twilight.


The icy coffin started to trap Twilight in place, forcing her hooves to stick to the ground. She was still weak from the excessive magic repulsions she was unleashing earlier and barely had any strength to break free from Syra's attack. "What's wrong dear? Just a few minutes ago you killed me, oh wait, never mind. That was a few YEARS ago" it was is if the laughter was coming from inside of Twilight's mind, but how exactly, Twilight did not know. Just as the ice was forming around the base of her neck, the entire case of the cold coffin forming around Twilight cracked right along the center where her spine was located.


Knowing of the newfound weakness in the ice prison, she attempted to break free. "What do you think you are doing?! BE STILL AND SUFFER!" said the voice of Syra inside of Twilight's head. "Why is it I hear her in my mind? I don't understand!" Twilight paused her thought momentarily, focusing more on breaking free before continuing."It doesn't matter now, I'm not letting her get inside my head", "I'M ALREADY INSIDE YOUR HEAD" boomed out the malicious voice.


Twilight's strength was not enough to shatter her demise, forcing her to give up on breaking free. "There you go, relax. I promise you won't feel a thing" said the insane unicorn. As her laughter filled Twilight's head, the doomed mare expelled a final tear before she had lost all hope in her survival and her love. "I'm so sorry Kale, I'm so sorry Syra, so sorry..."

As doomed as she was, she still had a single strand of hope left in her. The many memories she shared with her friends in Canterlot and Ponyville all came to mind at once. Never did she see her life ending so suddenly and so slowly, it was enough time to look at the last of the bleak scenery before she had been fully consumed by the ice and fall victim to her friend Syra.

Not too far from the end of the room, Twilight saw herself being covered by Syra's attack."Wait...why is it I can...BINGO!" Twilight grinned and a flush of happiness filled her body with hope once more. Using her magic, she spurted out a flare like spell, a ball of energy that let off a fiery purple glow to the middle of the room, just a far enough so it is out of the moonlights view and far enough to light up the few objects around the area.

It was as she had hoped it would be, at the end of the room, lay a nearly shattered mirror that had fell from the ceiling. It was fortunate for the mirror to land straight upwards but unfortunate it was a bit broken from the bottom. "It's all of nothing right now; I'm not leaving this place without answers!" Twilight said loudly. Just what in Equestria are you... NO!" Syra had seen her prey's plan but was too slow to react to her sudden action.

Twilight took in her last deep icy breath and held it in her lungs just before she had let out the final amount of stamina in her body to release the last bolt of magic straight at the mirror ahead of her. "NOOOOO!!!" the voice boomed through Twilight's skull. She exhaled the final breath she held in her lungs and smiled. The last thing she saw, was her magic bolt hitting the mirror and it bouncing right back towards her. The ice prison was completely covering Twilight now with the smile now frozen onto her face; however, her frozen demise was not strong enough to withstand the mighty blast of energy the clever unicorn summoned.

Syra's plan was completely shattered in an instant once the energy bolt struck the ice prison. Twilight opened her eyes once the impact had passed away and she was completely free from deaths reach. Looking around the bleak scenery, the feeling in the atmosphere was far beyond safe. She trotted quickly into the darkness to avoid being seen from Syra, if she was even there. "You just couldn't accept death, could you Twilight?" said Syra's voice, as if though it was coming out of thin air.

Twilight stood nearby the holy light of the moon but not close enough to reveal her position. "Hiding in the shadows for your safety is probably the last thing you want to do" whispered Syra's disembodied voice right next to Twilight. She shrieked out in both surprise and terror, jumping into the moonlight's view.

Panting heavily from the current fatal events, Twilight was completely thrown off guard when a gust of the winter wind swept in 3 piles of snow, all aligned and massive. She stood their confused for a few seconds before the snow moved on its own. She took a few steps back, fearing it was yet another one of Syra's traps to kill her. "I already told you Twilight, you can't kill what's already dead" Syra's ghastly voice paused before she continued, "Have you no shame Twilight? You killed me... twice; you really want me dead don't you?" a series of giggles followed her words.

"Syra please, you know this entire thing must be a misunderstanding, I've never done anything to you, to Kale, to anyone"

"No harm to anyone? Just look around you, Sparkle! You brought our deaths, you brought forth the destruction of the home of your friends, for all I know, and they’re probably dead! Listen closely and you'll notice this entire time, not a single noise by them was made. You bring death wherever you walk Twilight."

"I don't believe in your words, Swirlz. A grand illusion is what this whole act is and you know it!"

"I know nothing except for the fact you need to be condemned for your actions"

"Then what have you been waiting for? You have more than enough power to have me dead yet you let me live every time we run into each other. Are you a coward or do you still possess the feelings that-"

"ENOUGH! No more of this petty talk, you are right... then again not right. I wanted to make you suffer, make you lose your sanity so you take your own life...but I see now that your blinding arrogance is the only thing that saves you"

The pile of snow that lay in the middle began to move violently and ceased its movement. Slowly the snow started to build up on each other and began to take figure. right before Twilight, Syra was beginning to re-animate back to life but in her ice form. "I've said it once and i'll say it again, you can't kill what's already dead" the pile of snow formed quickly to create Syra but instead of having her icy cold skin staying that way, magically she turned into flesh and bone. She shook her head violently to shake off the water that was still in her mane and to position it correctly so that her eyes still shone the bloody red.

"You're right Twilight. I have more than enough power to kill you, I've been taking my sweet time to do so, but no more" she closed her eyes and held her head high before she revealed her trick with the other two piles of snow. She smirked and clapped her hooves together 3 times as she chanted "Hell frozen rain falls down". The left and right piles of snow shifted up and down quickly only to settle in a state of being completely flat. Snow from the outskirts of the pile jumped towards the middle forming a small mound of snow.

In only a few seconds, the snow started to take shape of the vicious predator that has been stalking Twilight for some time. Both on the left and right side of Syra, were two fully built timberwolves made of snow. The eyes shone a brighter more sinister red that Syra's and their teeth were licked to a shine with the saliva, hungry for food.

"See here darling, these are my pets, the same things that you brought upon us at the mountains, the same things that killed us this very day, 5 winters ago." Syra raised her left hoof and shook her head with eyes closed. "You know Twilight, it pains me to see you join the ranks of me and Kale, but your crimes can never be forgiven, goodbye dear friend, let your red blood bring color to this black reunion." Syra shouted in a powerful tone towards Twilight that is shook the floors of the house. " Listen to me beasts of the winter season, I am Syra Swirlz, the victim that has fallen by your claws, that has fallen by your hunger, that has fallen because of HER! Give Twilight her redemption, obey the one who was betrayed by the hooves of a friend, obey me, Syra, OBEY THE PRAETOR OF THIS UNFORGIVEN WINTER! "

Howls...the dreadful howls of the twin timberwolves breaking the winter’s harsh atmosphere were too much. As tired as Twilight was, she wasn't going to stand there and let the beasts tear her to pieces, no. Instead... she shot out the same bolt of energy she had casted to scatter the shadows in all directions to reveal the mirror at the far end of the living room to blind and fend off the wolves considering how the bolt had an extremely high temperature.

Just as predicted, the mare sprinted towards the end of the corridor where she had previously shot out a bolt of magic which turns out she hit nothing but the wall, The pink flare burned out a few seconds after Twilight burst through the door. "The guards, the city, the princess! I need to get to the city!" Twilight sprinted in full throttle at half the speed of a Wonderbolt to make it to the haven of the city. The home of Charlie and Victor lay on the outskirts of Canterlot where the "high class living" status was lowered down greatly.

The falling snow obscured her vision but it didn't slow her speed down at all, instead it only forced her to sprint faster. The timberwolves were hot on her tail angry over the obstacle Twilight laid to delay their movements. "Hold on a second..." she slowed her running down slowly until she was at a complete stop. She regained the very little breath she had used during the sprint but her heart still pounded hard from breaking free of the ice.

"They are made of snow, my magic is made up energy and heat, a well-placed shot can blast a hole right through them!" she grinned in delight, knowing that her newly created plan is just stupid enough to work. She was about to face two fully grown mature timberwolves the size of 2 ponies together, she was starting to question her plan but by then it was too late, their howls shook the snow off of the nearby leafless trees.

She slammed her fore hooves on either side of herself in a battle stance ready for the oncoming winter beasts. Their foolish behavior to howl every once in a while gave their position away easily to the battle ready Twilight. Her breath was steady and her attitude was eager to vanquish her foes, but her heart was beyond the stage of being mended together.

In the short distance of the starry night a two pairs of glowing red slits in the black, were racing at an incredible speed towards her. She sighed out a warm breath that it showed up in the night in front of her. When the last shout of the Timberwolf was made, she shot out the same exact spell she had used to make illuminate the room back at Charlie's home, the same glowing fiery ball.

The night was silent, the red eyes disappeared and the tension rose faster than ever before. The only sound this time was just the wind passing through the dead trees and the small light snowflakes hitting the floor to mix in with the rest of the snow.


The second a drop of sweat struck the ground, the purple flare was starting to die down very slowly and rapidly. The sizzling of melting snow could be heard and the crackling of the energy bolt was beginning to die down until finally the light was completely extinguished. Twilight already had her horn pre-ready by having the very tip glow the dull purple aura she always carried with her. What felt like eons were actually just the passing seconds of tension? Small soft growls were made but no sight of them at all.


They're close... they're very close, I could not see it yet but I could feel it, whatever was going to happen, it wasn't the way this winter was going to end

The growls turned into a roar of an attack and then at that moment, Twilight barrel rolled to the left and saw that both of the wolves collided into each other head first and plopped to the ground. Both were now blinded with rage and fury that made them careless but more dangerous nonetheless. She used their careless behavior to her advantage, making it easier to shoot her bolts.

In rapid succession, Twilight fired off 5 small but quick shots of the purple bullet-like energy at her foe. It was as if these wolves were winter itself, the harder they fought, and the more severe the snow fell on them all. The moon being covered by the black clouds of this damned night made it nearly impossible to see in the dark but it hadn't stopped Twilight from fighting to the fullest of her abilities.

One of the wolves launched itself into the air to attempt a pounce on Twilight; it was its biggest mistake. As the timberwolf flew downwards with its claws ready to sink into Twilight's skin and mouth open to gnaw on her flesh, she charged up a powerful spell of energy that was shot straight towards the beast’s heart. It yelped in pain and landed straight on its head, breaking his skull open. Amazingly it stood right back up only to wildly yelp in pain and frustration at his defeat.

The wolf stood on its hind legs while his front legs clawed at its split open skull hoping it would stop the pain in any way. The 2nd wolf ran off into the night but the battle-ready unicorn knew it's only leaving so she would put down her guard; it wasn't going to perform a sneak attack on her.

She eyed the pained winter beast to see the damage she had done to it, what she had seen was un-explainable. There was a rather large hole in his chest from where Twilight had laid her blast and split skull resulting from the fall, that was disturbed her though, black spewed from its wounds. A mysterious flow of black shadow was spilling out of the wounds and stained the white virgin snow.

"What in Celestia's name..." she spoke softly to herself. Even though it was an enemy, Twilight couldn't bear to see the ghostly wolf suffer any longer. Aiming straight for the head, she shot out a bolt of energy, forcing the top of the timberwolve's head to be blown off. It fell to the ground lifeless as the black shadow continued to spew out from its skull making a small puddle around its body. Twilight rested, the presence of the 2nd wolf weren't felt, and she knew the night ...was for the moment safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She sat down and sobbed, getting her mane covering her eyes and snow falling calmly on the floor and on her.

The black clouds moved away and the Luna's graceful light shone once more revealing the entire field on the bleak winter now painted gray and black with the vengeance and death all caused by the hatred between two rival mares. Once they were the greatest of friends and now both of them to have a goal of wanting the other out of their lives. For what caused the hatred between two friends was still unknown to Twilight, but she knew at last that blood will be the only thing that can bring color to this reunion.



Twilight...it's okay, everything is ok.

She turned around slowly upon hearing the familiar voice, the voice that she had rejected so many years ago. Perhaps there was still hope to avenge fallen friends.


Important Notice

Is this the end of the chapter? Nope, Sorry to say but this is the end of part 1, part 2 will be released POSSIBLY tomorrow OR Wednesday. Part 1 has been finished for some time but I have been working on part 2 so I don't make you all wait for so long. Part 2 is at the conclusion and I estimate it's about 2-3 thousand words long.It will contain the rest of the action, somepony has a turn for the worse, the return of Syra and Kale and the 2nd to last chapter, I will go into detail about when I release it.