• Published 27th Oct 2013
  • 3,401 Views, 153 Comments

Time Lord: The Story of Polaris - Thrawn1800



A human wakes up in Equestria, but NOT in the time of the Mane 6. He struggles to come to terms with this new world, full of magic and strange creatures. Will he ever be able to live his life in this new place?

  • ...
19
 153
 3,401

Chapter 5: Mountains Are Cool, Snowstorms... Not So Much

Chapter 5



The stallion was brown and had a brown mane with some grey streaks. He had a wide smile on his face. He didn’t seem even the slightly fazed by the looks on Luna and I’s faces.

“Hello. I’m the Doctor!” he said. “Who’re you?”

“Um…” I said. Luna stayed silent.

“I-I’m Polaris.” I managed to say. “Doctor… doctor who?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” he said, still smiling widely. “Just the Doctor. Now, when and where are we… as this is clearly not the Canterlot Castle.”

“This… this is the Everfree Hospital.” Luna said.

Something he’d said struck me as weird. “What do you mean? When?”

Before he could say answer, Luna asked “Who are you? What is that?”

“I’m the Doctor. A thousand year old time lord from the planet Gallifrey. That’s the Tardis.”

“A what? The what?” asked Luna incredulously.

“I’m the Doctor. That’s Tardis. Time and Relative Dimensions in Space.”

Luna’s shocked silence gave me a chance to ask, “What… what are you doing here?”

“Well,” the Doctor said, popping up between Luna and me, causing us to jump. “I was trying to visit Canterlot Castle. Clearly, however, that isn’t what happened.”

Before anyone else could speak, the Tardis started to make the weird sounds again. The light on the top started flashing, and the box started fading in and out.

“Oi!” shouted the Doctor. "Now what?" Walls began to materialize around us.

“Doctor, what’s going-?” I started.

“The Tardis is moving by herself!” shouted the Doctor, cutting me off.

The walls solidified around us, the Tardis continuing to whoosh.

“Where are we?” I asked. “What is this?”

“What’s going on here?” said the Doctor. “How did this happen?”

The sounds continued as the Doctor ran around, fiddling with the controls frantically. With a loud thump, the sounds stopped. The Doctor pulled a view screen over. After taking a quick look at it, he pushed it out of the way and sat down on one of the seats.

“I don’t believe it.” he said quietly.

“What is it?” I asked, concerned. “What’s wrong?”

“She moved.” he said.

“So?”

“She moved by herself.”

“And?”

“And she’s not meant to do that!” he said bluntly.

“Oh.”

After a moment of silence, I asked, “What is this thing Doctor?”

He looked up. “It’s a time-and-space machine.”

“What?”

“It can move through time and space.”

“Really? Cool.”

“You’re taking this pretty well. At this point, most people are still stuck on it’s being bigger on the inside.” On the other side of the room, Luna was turning in circles, mumbling gibberish.

“I guess… I guess the idea isn’t so hard to accept.” I hesitated. “Compared to what happened to me anyway.”

The Doctor looked directly at me. “What do you mean?”

I looked him in the eyes. They were a dark blue. But I looked past that. They were very old and kind. But they were also sad and lonely. With what I saw, I couldn't help but trust him, and feel sorry for him. Whatever had happened to this stallion, I thought it might have hurt him a great deal.

I told him what had happened to me, explaining in as much detail as I could manage. He listened carefully, not interrupting, not questioning. Just listening. Once I’d finished, he looked away, frowning slightly.

After a while, he looked back, wide smile back. “Right. Let’s take a look around shall we?”

He walked over to the doors and pulled them both open. I walked to his side and looked outside. We were on the peak of a mountain. We could see the peaks of mountains, fading out of sight in the distance. Far below, glaciers glistened in the sunlight, sparkling all shades of blue and white.

“Wow.” I said.

“I know.” said the Doctor. “It’s fantastic. It's a mountain. Mountains are cool.”

I looked back at Luna, who was still standing by the consoles.

“Luna? What is it?”

“How can you trust him so easily?” She asked, eyeing the Doctor warily.

“What?”

“He just crashed into your room and abducted us!”

“I trust him,” I said, “but I don’t know why. I just do.” I glanced over at the Doctor, who was monologuing about something, leaning out through the Tardis's doors.

She didn’t answer, but she did come to the door. She exclaimed in wonder. I looked back outside. Eventually, we all stepped back from the door.

“Well,” said the Doctor, “I assume you want to go home now?”

“Yes.” said Luna.

The Doctor went over to the consoles and started messing with the controls again. After a second, the Tardis began to whoosh. Once we’d landed, the Doctor opened the doors for us. Luna left, but I stayed where I was.

“Doctor?” I said.

“Yes?”

“Where are you going next?”

“I don’t really know.”

I hesitated, then asked “Can… Can I go with you?”

“What?” he asked, startled.

“Can I go with you?” I said slowly.

“W-Why?”

“Because I don’t think you should be alone. You’ve been alone a long time, haven’t you?”

The Doctor’s jaw hung slightly open. “You really mean it?”

“Yes.”

Luna looked at me, eyebrow raised.

“You- you really want to stay?” the Doctor asked. He seemed to be having a hard time accepting this.

“I want to see more.” I said.

The Doctor’s face was expressionless, his eyes searching mine. I stared back, resolute.

“Really?” he asked again. “You really want to travel with me?”

“Yes!” I said. “I do!”

The Doctor beamed. “Okay then!”

“You're leaving?” asked Luna.

“I guess so. Are... are you angry?”

She hesitated. “Well... no, not really. Just surprised.”

I looked back at the Doctor.

“We can leave whenever you’re ready.” he said.

“I turned to Luna. “Goodbye.” I said.

“G-goodbye.” she said.

“It’s a time machine,” said the Doctor. “We could be back by tomorrow.”

“Oh. Okay.” She looked less worried.

I hugged her. “B-Bye.” I whispered into her ear.

“Bye.” she whispered back.

I got in the Tardis, and the Doctor followed. He closed the door then turned to me.

“So, where do you want to go?” he asked.

“I… I don’t know.” I said. “Where can we go?”

“Anywhere, anywhen.”

“So… could you… could you-?”

“Take you home?” he asked, clearly expecting the question. “No. I’m sorry.”

“Didn’t think so.”

I hadn’t expected him to be able to, but I had to ask. To know, to be certain.

“Well.” said the Doctor, breaking the silence. “We could visit another planet?”

“Sure!”

The Doctor pulled a lever, and we were off.


___________________________________________
Unknown time later
___________________________________________



After a long time travelling with the Doctor, including several dangerous adventures, a trip through a not one, but two supernovas (one of which turned into a black hole),a cruise along the Mediterranean coast of France, and an extremely unpleasant run in with the Spanish Inquisition, we made it back. By that time, my leg and ribs had healed, and I’d helped the Doctor find a new companion, a grey pegasus mare called Ditzy Doo. We had all become pretty good friends during our travels, and I felt I’d done my job. I was ready to go back.

“Are you sure?” asked the Doctor persistently. “There’s still so many places we could go. Like-”

“I’m sure.” I said quickly, not wanting to be on the receiving end of one of the Doctor’s dissertations.

“Okay then! Let’s get to it!” The Doctor began to mess with the controls, piloting us home. We landed with a faint thump, and I walked to the doors.

“Here we go, the Everfree Hospital.” the Doctor announced. “Safe and sound.”

“Thank you Doctor.” I said. “Bye Ditzy.”

“Bye!” said Ditzy, smiling widely. “And thank you!”

I walked out the doors, confident in my decision. I knew the Doctor would be fine, Ditzy could take care of him (and he could take care of her). As the Tardis whooshed and faded away, flashing. I left the room, still thinking about what’d happened over the past several weeks. I decided to get something to eat. When I reached the cafeteria, I got some food and sat down at the table. I was glad for the food, since I’d spent several days at sea with the Doctor. Fresh food wasn’t exactly the Tardis’s specialty either.


___________________________________________


While I was eating, May Breeze walked over.

“Hi Polaris!” she said, grinning. “Where you been?”

“I went on a trip.” I said.

“Really, where?”

I quickly tried to come up with a convincing story. I knew better than to try and tell her where I’d really gone. She’d definitely think I was a mad-pony.

“Oh, you know, just… out of town.”

“Cool! Mind if I join you?”

“Sure, go ahead.”

She sat down next to me. We talked for a while. She told me more about her job, and I told her about some interesting things I’d seen while traveling. I didn’t say how I knew what I did though. While she didn’t seem as interested as I was, I was grateful for someone to listen. While I was explaining about the Spanish Inquisition (which I knew more about than I would have liked), Blue walked in.

“Where have you been?!” he demanded angrily. “Luna came to me three days ago and told me you'd left!”

“I took a trip out of town.” I said quickly, instinctively backing away slightly.

“Without telling me?”

I’d forgotten that Blue was my doctor as well as my friend. I guess I should’ve told him I was leaving. However, he might have tried to stop me, and that would have been unpleasant.

“Sorry.” I said. “I should’ve told you.”

“Yes, you should have.” he said. “So, where did you go?”

I was saved from having to answer when Luna ran into the room. She was panting, and looked like she’d just run a marathon. After several deep breathes, she managed to get my name out.

“Polaris!”

“Yes?”

“I need your help.” She looked tense.

“What with?”

“Storm. Really big storm.”

“Could you explain better?”

“I need you to help me get the city ready.” She rushed through the sentence, clearly eager to be going.

“Why? How?”

“I'll explain on the way.”

I nodded. “Sure. Let’s go.”

“Wait!” said May Breeze.

“Yes?” asked Luna.

“We can help to.” She pointed to herself and Blue.

“But-” started Blue.

“Ah! No buts.” she said, cutting him off. “We can help.”

“Fine.” he said, defeated.

“Sure, the more the merrier.” said Luna. “Now come on!”

As we went she explained what was going on. Apparently, there was a snowstorm coming from the north, and the city needed to be surrounded with special enchanted stones that would shield it. But, we only had half an hour to do it in. We were to take care of the area near the hospital, the northeastern side. Luna already had our stones in some saddlebags, which we picked up on our way out. The streets were lined with houses, and ponies were galloping about, preparing for the coming storm.

“What’s been happening while I was gone?” I asked.

“Not much.” said Blue. “I was just worrying about where my patient was!”

“I said I was sorry!”

“Yes, I know. But still.”

“Next time I decide to take a trip, I’ll tell you. Happy?”

“Very.”

As we went, May Breeze trotted next to me. She examining the storm clouds in the distance. She looked worried, her eyes wandering over the clouds.

“What is it?” I asked, seeing the concerned look on her face.

“Those seem too... big.” she said, her eyes still on the storm.

“They are storm clouds.”

“Yes, but these seem wrong. They are… unnatural.”

I wondered if it might something to do with some sort of Pegasi magic, or maybe just a natural instinct. But I did agree with May Breeze. The storm clouds’ intensity was- well, unnatural. I wasn’t sure how we could tell, but I guessed in a place so full of magic, anyone who lived here had some amount of abnormal perception.

Eventually, we reached the edge of the city. It was a hill gently sloping down into the forest. In front of us, the storm clouds towered over us, grey and menacing. They were moving rapidly towards us. Far in the distance, you could see the forest rippling under the torrential winds moving with the storm, the lighter undersides of the evergreen branches flashing.

“Go!” shouted Luna, putting down the saddle bags, and opening them. Inside were gray rocks, each one looking completely ordinary. When I picked one up, I could feel a static charge around them. I guessed that was the magic in them.

We immediately started placing the stones along the top of the hill. We worked quickly, not talking. I kept glancing up at the approaching storm clouds, seeing them draw nearer. Immediately after Luna had placed the last of the stones, the storm hit us full on. The wind was howling with such terrifying force that it was bending trees over and breaking them. Then I realized that I was inside the barrier... but Luna wasn’t! She couldn’t move, trapped between the powerful winds and the protective barrier the stones were creating.

Without thinking about what I was doing, I charged up my horn and disrupted the barrier. I ran through I pushed Luna back inside. My magic failed, the barrier’s magic reasserting itself. I looked back at Luna. Our eyes met, then a sharp pain blazed through my body, and I blacked out.


___________________________________________
Luna’s Point of View
___________________________________________


Polaris shoved me through the barrier. His emerald eyes met mine, and I watched, frozen with horror, as a splintered fragment of a tree trunk smashed into him. It knocked him into the barrier, and he fell to the now snowy ground, unmoving. I tried to replicate his spell, failing several times before I managed to reach out and pull him through the barrier.

He was unconscious, and struggling to breathe. He was bleeding profusely from several deep cuts on his left side and a gash across the side of his head. I held him close, not sure what to do. I didn’t know how to help him. I knew that if I tried something with magic, I might kill him.

“What happened?!” shouted Blue, who came running over.

I couldn’t answer him. The words wouldn’t come. Blue came over to me, and started trying to help Polaris. He couldn’t seem to make any headway. He gave a frustrated yell.

“Gah! I cannot stop the bleeding!” he raged as May Breeze approached.

“What happened?!” she asked, worried. “Why is Blue so…?” She faltered when she saw Polaris.

After a minute, I started to hear something besides the wind. A whooshing sound. I looked behind me, and saw the Tardis materializing, light flashing. As soon as the door opened, the door opened. The Doctor, wearing a black jacket, and a grey pegasus mare with yellow eyes emerged and ran over to us.

“What happened?!” asked the Doctor, stopping in front of me, looking down at Polaris.

I tried several times to explain, but I just mouthed wordlessly.

“Never mind that.” said the Doctor. “Let me see him!”

He began to examine Polaris. He pulled something out of a pocket, and pointed it at various parts of Polaris’s body. It made a whirring and the tip glowed green. As he worked, the Doctor looked more and more panicked. He kept gravitating back to Polaris’s chest.

“Argh! His heart’s failing!” he said, stomping angrily. “And the sonic can’t do a thing! Does anyone have a defibrillator?”

“A what?” Blue asked, completely confused by the strange request.

“Stupid archaic pony civilization!” stormed the Doctor, stamping a hoof on the ground. “No blasted defibrillators!” He paced back and forward, having a shouted argument with himself over how to proceed.

“Doctor!” I shouted, unable to stand it. “Do something!”

“I am!” he yelled back. “But I can’t be clever if everyone is yelling at me!”

He continued to pace, still talking to himself. I looked at Polaris’s face. His mouth was open, and he was hardly breathing anymore. I started to tear up. He’d saved me from this, but I couldn’t do anything. I stared at him, bleeding and dying, unable to help him. The Tardis’s light blazed to life, glowing like a lighthouse's beacon. We all looked over at it. However, this just seemed to make the Doctor more agitated.

“Now what!” he yelled, looking frenzied. He tried to open the Tardis’s doors, but they didn’t move.

The Tardis began to make its whooshing sound. But it didn’t fade, and it didn’t move. The light was flashing blindingly. The doors flew open, the inside of the Tardis glowing with a bright yellow light. A warmth spread through the air, and I felt a deep vibration resonating through the air and ground. I looked back down at Polaris. A faint golden light spread around his body, glowing like soft yellow flames.

I watched in wonder as his cuts stopped bleeding. They started to heal over, and soon it was impossible to tell they had been there, the only evidence his bloodstained coat. I looked over at the Doctor. He was silent, expressionless, just watching Polaris. I jumped as Polaris gasped and opened his eyes, breathing hard.

___________________________________________
Polaris’s Point of View
___________________________________________


I opened my eyes and gasped in the cold, sharp air. I felt sore, my limbs heavy. I looked up to see everyone standing around me and Luna, who was holding me upright.

“W-what?” I managed, breathlessly.

“Stay still.” someone said. It was the Doctor. He was standing next to me, his face blank, just watching.

I obeyed, not really feeling up to moving anyway. Luna was holding me tight against her. I could feel her tears rolling down my back.

“What happened?” I whispered, my voice weak. “What...?”

“Um…” started Blue. “Well, you see… um…”

“What?” I asked, now feeling anxious.

“You were hit by something.” said May Breeze quietly. “You were bleeding pretty badly, and your... your heart was giving out. You… you were... dying.”

I stared at her. “And…?” I said.

“Then… then the Tardis, it did… something. I do not know what, but it stopped the bleeding, and… and got rid of the cuts.” I looked at the Doctor.

“I don’t know what happened.” he said flatly.

“Luna?” I asked, concerned. “Luna, I’m fine now.”

She nodded, but didn’t let me go. Her tears continued to fall onto my back. I shivered in the cold air. I raised my left foreleg. It was bloodstained, but there weren’t any cuts or other injuries, nothing to have bled. Eventually, Luna let me go, and wiped her eyes with a hoof.

“Why…?” she asked quietly.

She didn’t have to finish, I knew what she meant. Why had I pushed her out of the way? I looked into her sapphire eyes, and she looked into mine. I tried to speak, but words failed me. Instead, I reached forward and gently brushed her cheek. She started, but she didn’t move away. I slowly leaned forward and pressed my lips to hers. My heart raced, I went deaf. She was kissing me back!

When we broke apart, I hugged her tightly and whispered in her ear. “That’s why.”

She hugged me, and I hugged her back. I looked at the others. They’d been respectfully looking elsewhere. Now they were again looking at us. I blushed, avoiding their eyes.

“Well,” said Blue, “how about we get you back to the hospital. Check you over and see if there is anything else.”

I nodded. Luna and I got up, and we started to follow the other two. I looked back at the Doctor and Ditzy.

“Doctor?” I called.

“You go ahead.” he said. “Ditzy and I’ll see you... around.”

“Okay.”

Luna and I walked next to each other, leaning on one another. I didn’t know what to say, especially after what had happened. I guess I knew my feelings now, but I wasn’t sure how to say it out loud. I was filled with doubt. Did she… well, you know? I was scared, but I was happy too. I tried to think about something else. How was I alive? According to them, I’d been nearly dead. What had the Tardis done? Luna nudged me, and I looked over at her.

“Yes?” I asked quietly.

“Is something wrong?” she asked, equally quiet.

I told the truth. “I don’t know.” She didn’t say anything else, and we continued walking.

When we reached the Everfree Hospital, I held the door open for Luna. She smiled at me. I followed her in. Blue led us back to my room. Everything seemed normal. Through the occasional window, you could see the storm raging against the barrier. Everyone we passed stared at me. I was still covered in blood, so I guess they were wondering how I was even walking. In my room, Blue had me sit in a chair while he checked me over. He didn’t seem to find anything.

“You seem fine.” he said. “You just need to clean up, and you will be fine.”

“Okay.” I said. “Where…?”

Blue walked over to a door which stood next to the one to the hallway. He opened it. It was a bathroom.

“Here you go.” he said, gesturing with a hoof.

“Um… could you…?” I asked, motioning for them to leave.

“Oh! Sure.” Blue and May Breeze left, and Luna started to follow.

“Luna?” I called.

She stopped. “Yes?” she asked.

I tried to say something, but I couldn’t, not yet. “I... N-nothing.” I said.

She nodded, and left. I think she knew, and understood. I went into the bathroom. I was glad that I at least still had some basic memories. I turned the shower on, and stepped into the stream of water.

I gasped. The sensations caused by the water flowing through my coat were overpowering. My brain went numb from an immense wave of nerve signals. Eventually, I managed to regain control of myself. I washed the blood out of my coat. After I’d dried myself off, I went to the mirror. I looked at myself. Brown coat, black mane, green eyes. I decided I should do something to my mane, make it look less… messy. I charged up my horn, and went to work.

When I’d finished, I walked out into the hall. Luna, Blue, and May Breeze were waiting. I was glad they were here. I didn’t feel like being alone. I felt the need for company. I smiled faintly at them.

“Let’s get something to eat.” I suggested. My stomach was gnawing on itself.

“Sure.” said Blue. Luna just nodded, a smile like mine on her face.

We walked down the hallways to the cafeteria. I kept glancing at Luna out of the corner of my eye. I didn’t know what to say to her. Once we had our food, we chose a table in the corner and sat down. The other three managed a conversation, but I stayed silent, eating my food. I felt a hoof on my shoulder. It was Luna.

“Are you okay?” Luna asked. I nodded absentmindedly, disconcerted by the day’s events.

“Are you sure?” she persisted.

“What caused the storm?” I asked. “That wasn’t a natural storm, so where did it come from?” May Breeze nodded in agreement from across the table.

“I don’t know.” said Luna. “But… maybe someone in the Crystal Empire does? Since it’s to the north.”

“Can we go to the Crystal Empire?”

“We should ask Celestia,” she said “but I think it is a good idea.”

“Well then, lets’ go ask her.”

“Bye you two.” said Blue, grinning roguishly. I blushed and looked away from him and May Breeze. Luna and I left the cafeteria together. Unbeknownst to us, the two of them shared a knowing smile.