• Published 16th Oct 2013
  • 1,470 Views, 119 Comments

Peewee's Big Adventure - AbstractThought



Peewee goes on an epic journey to reunite with Spike and epic hijinks ensue.

  • ...
0
 119
 1,470

Encountering Adventure

Today was a perfect day for adventure! After a good night’s sleep, Peewee was ready to ride the winds of adventure! He could hear just hear the winds excitedly whispering, “Adventure! Adventure!” Or that could have been an adventure-happy tick that had burrowed into Peewee’s earhole while he was asleep. …Nah, that’d just be silly!

Peewee had taken to the skies and was flying as fast as his stubby little wings could take him. He headed in the direction that he remembered coming from before, when Spike had taken him on a long and not-so-exciting journey to where his phoenix family resided. Of course, the “not-so-exciting” part was mainly because the little bird was being supervised by Spike and not allowed to wander off too far. But now, he was able to adventure the way he wanted! He was so excited to get started he hadn’t even eaten or taken his morning poop; all that was on his mind was getting to Spike as soon as possible!

He could just imagine how Spike would react to his return…

----------

“Hey Spike!” Peewee burst into the room with a flare-filled flair that Trixie would be proud of. “I’m BAAAAAAAAACK!”

“GAH! What the hay?!” Spike cried out as he scrambled to cover himself. “I’m using the bathroom over here!”

Peewee stopped and stared blankly. “Oh, was I supposed to wait until you were done?”

“GET OUT!” Spike screamed, his face the color of an apple that had put too much blush on itself.

Peewee felt himself wilt. “Somehow, I thought this would go a little differently…”

----------

“Oof!” Peewee’s train of thought was violently derailed by a collision with something big, brown, and scaly. At first Peewee thought it was a mountain, at least until he heard it yelp in pain and he felt a claw wrap around him. He was pretty sure mountains didn’t have voices or claws, though it could have been a new breed of mountain he was unaware of. It wouldn’t be the strangest thing he’s seen, after all.

“Hey, what gives?” The brown dragon had just been sitting down for a nice breakfast of gems and smooth rocks (to help with his acid reflux) when suddenly, out of nowhere, something pointy struck him in the back! It didn’t hurt him, of course, but still, things don’t just strike him in the back out of nowhere, at least not while he’s sitting down. So he was pleasantly surprised to find out that the thing that hit him wasn’t a stupid rock, but a stupid baby phoenix! “Well, what do we have here?” he asked out loud, even though he already knew what they had here.

“Oh, hello there!” Peewee greeted, cheerfully oblivious to the drool leaking from the pot-bellied dragon’s mouth. “Are you a mountain?”

“Looks like my breakfast just got a whole lot better,” the dragon said with a hungry smile. He was about to chow down on the unsuspecting chick when a voice broke his concentration.

“Hey, Gronkle!” A tall, red dragon walked over with a mean look in his eye, and everywhere else for that matter. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“I was gonna eat this bird here,” Gronkle responded. “What’s it to you?”

Peewee felt his stomach churn at that little tidbit. Oh great…these are the mean dragons my parents warned me about, aren’t they? Why couldn’t I have come across a bunch of cute and cuddly dragons instead? Is that really too much to ask?

“You know phoenixes go against your diet, Gronk,” the red dragon scolded him. He held out a claw and suggested, “Why don’t you give the little morsel over to someone who’s in better shape?”

“Why don’t you go away and mind your own business, Mom?” Gronkle retorted, holding Peewee uncomfortably close to his armpits.

“Why don’t I make you my business and take the runt for myself, anyway?!” the red dragon snapped, looming over him threateningly like a taxidermic bear that’s constantly poised for attack but never actually attacks, the lazybones.

“Uh, do I have a say in this?” Peewee chimed in.

“Oh, you wanna play rough, hotshot?!” Gronkle growled back as he got to his feet surprisingly quickly and looked his taller peer in the eyes.

“Yeah, maybe I do, tubby!” the red dragon shouted, matching his stout counterpart’s glare.

“Guess not,” Peewee said with a sigh.

“Who’re you calling tubby, string bean?!” Gronkle shot back, pressing his head aggressively against the red dragon’s face.

“Nice comeback, lardo!” the red dragon said, pressing back.

“Shish-kebab!”

“Pincushion!”

“One-dimensional!”

“Turd-dimensional!”

“Now kiss!” a black and green dragon called out from the small crowd that had gathered due to all the ruckus.

The two dragons responded by turning and giving the caller a disgusted glare, like one would give to a guy with a huge zit who’s criticizing everyone else’s appearance. Gronkle then got the idea to take advantage of the red dragon’s distracted attention and gave him a good, hard kick in the groin. That brought him to the ground rather quickly.

“Never mess with a dragon’s breakfast,” Gronkle said with a triumphant smirk. He then turned his gaze to the little phoenix in his claws, licked his lips, and continued, “Now, time to chow down!”

However, for some reason, Peewee really wasn’t in the mood to get eaten. So, thinking fast, he took a deep breath and spit some fire right in Gronkle’s eye, the one place dragons weren’t impervious to fire. Gronkle screamed in pain and flailed his arms almost unlike a windmill, something that would have made Peewee lose his lunch if he had eaten any, and if it wasn’t too early for lunch. Thankfully, he was finally released when the rotund dragon stumbled over his assortment of breakfast minerals and flopped on the ground like a really fat flounder.

Peewee sat on the ground for a few seconds, dazedly watching little phoenixes circle around him. “Hey, when’d you guys get here?” he groaned. “And why are you all flying in circles?” By the time he came to his senses, he noticed a few other dragons were closing in on him.

“Come here, little guy,” a lanky purple dragon with what looked like a mop on his head said coaxingly, his claws outstretched. “Don’t be shy, we just wanna eat you, is all.”

“UH-UH!” With a burst of energy, Peewee shot into the air just before the purple dragon made a grab for him. He saw another dragon make a grab for him, so he whizzed over to the side, causing him to miss and grab the mop-headed dragon’s mop instead, which was apparently glued to his head. The little phoenix narrowly missed yet another dragon lunge for him, leading him to collapse onto the other two dragons. The purple dragon was royally steamed with a touch of garnish by this point, so he forgot the bird and a fight broke out between the trio, something that the other dragons found entertaining enough to distract them from the feathery treat fleeing the scene.

All, that is, except for one dragon. The red dragon had recovered enough from his pain to get moving again, and he was not pleased with being made a fool of. With an almighty roar that would have made Spike proud, he made a beeline for the fleeing phoenix. “EEP!” Peewee picked up the pace as much as he could, but he was no match for the flight speed of a rage-filled adolescent dragon. Just as the dragon’s wide-open maw was within reach, Peewee’s bowels failed him and he made his morning poop, a little later than usual. As luck would have it, though, the bird droppings went right down the dragon’s gullet, causing him to choke and fall to the ground. Peewee felt bad and considered trying to help him, but then he thought about how he tried to eat him, and he decided, Sorry, but I only help nice dragons, you mean meanie you! With that, Peewee left the mean dragons and continued on his way towards a very nice dragon who he’d be more than happy to help if he ever choked on bird poop. Because that’s what friends do.

----------

The red dragon writhed and continued to choke, trying to dislodge the gross blockage in his throat, to no avail. He was saved by two other dragons who grabbed the still in pain Gronkle and dropped him on the red dragon’s stomach, causing him to upchuck the dropping, only for it to land right between his eyes. What a great way to start a morning.

“It’s a shame we couldn’t keep the little birdy as a pet or anything,” a white and pink dragon lamented. “I would have called it Tweety.”

“Shut up, Fizzle,” the red dragon growled.

----------

After a few more minutes of aimless flying to make sure he had lost the dragons for good, Peewee stopped by a lake to catch his breath and guzzle down enough water to fill up his father. Wow, what a way to start a journey. I’ve been up less than an hour and I’ve already almost been eaten alive by dragons that act like punk teenagers. That…was SO COOL! No wonder Spike wants to adventure with his pony friends so much! I can’t wait to see what other exciting things will happen on my adventure! Maybe I’ll become a rock star! That’s what happens to people who go on epic journeys, right? Well, it definitely should be!

Peewee decided that surviving a deadly chase definitely called for some breakfast and fished around in his pockets for the berries he had saved for the occasion. Unfortunately, all he felt in there was berry goop. What the…aw, geez, that big brown dragon squished the berries when he was squeezing me, didn’t he? He should have been the one to eat my poop, not that red guy! With a groan, Peewee went to the lake to clean the goop out of his pockets. He normally didn’t mind being dirty, but having dirty stuff in his pockets just felt uncomfortable. Well, that and prickly stuff. That was especially uncomfortable.

He had just about finished cleaning out his pockets when he heard a splash nearby, not a big splash like Paulie makes when he cannonballs into the swimming hole back home, but not a really light splash like Priscilla makes when she gracefully flutters into the swimming hole and floats on the water like a swan (something she likes to brag about, especially to the cannonball-happy Paulie). Somewhere in the middle, he’d say. He turned and saw a red robin bathing on the shoreline next to him, rubbing water over her body in a way he might have described as sensual if he had any idea what the word “sensual” meant. Oh boy, it’s been a while since I’ve seen another bird that wasn’t a phoenix! I wonder if she’ll be my adventure buddy? “Hello there!” he said with an eager wave.

The robin, having been watching him out of the corner of her eye the whole time, turned her head slightly and said with feigned surprise, “Oh! Why, hello, cutie! Didn’t see you there.” Her voice was sweet and high-pitched, yet with a strong flirtatious undertone, like if Pinkie Pie and Rarity had their voices merged due to some sort of magical prank that won’t be discussed here.

“My name’s Peewee! I’m a phoenix!” he greeted in his usual cheery way.

“A phoenix, eh?” The robin hopped closer to Peewee and gave him a good, hard look. “How…exotic,” she said breathily. “My name’s Cresta, by the way.”

Peewee giggled at that. “Cresta, huh? That’s a funny name!”

Cresta knit her brow at that remark. That boy’s lucky he’s cute. “So, Peewee,” she continued, adding a goofy inflection to the phoenix’s name that made him giggle even harder. “What brings a cutie like you over to this neck of the woods?”

“Well,” Peewee explained, “I’m going on an epic journey to return to my caretaker Spike alllllll the way back in Ponyville! I’ve already fought off a bunch of dragons, and I haven’t even eaten breakfast yet! I guess that means I’m going to end up beating up every evil creature ever before I get home. Should be fun. You should come with me! We’ll have so much fun together!”

“Oh, I can just imagine,” Cresta purred as she leaned against Peewee’s cheek. “In fact…why don’t we do something fun right now?”

“Sure, that sounds great!” Peewee replied with a grin. “You wanna see who can swim across the lake the fastest?”

“Hmm…” Cresta paused in mock thought as she rubbed a wing on Peewee’s chest, something that also caused Peewee to giggle, as he had a serious case of the giggles that morning. “I was thinking something where we’d have a little more contact, if you catch my meaning.”

“Oh, I gotcha!” Peewee said excitedly. “You want to have a splash fight, right?”

“Not exactly,” she insisted, doing her best to avoid leaking any of her mounting frustration. “What I had in mind…” She put her wing to Peewee’s neck. “…involves a lot more fun…” She started running her wing down his torso. “…a lot more intimacy…” Lower and lower she went. “…and a lot more…” Her wing stopped just above his legs. “…heat.”

Peewee thought silently for a few seconds, trying to puzzle his way through the riddle she’d set up for him. Boy, she’s certainly not easy to play with! Finally, he decided to guess, “…You want to roast marshmallows?”

“AUGH!” Cresta burst out suddenly, her abrupt change in demeanor and volume startling Peewee enough to cause him to leap back and flop onto the water similarly to Gronkle, only a lot more gracefully. “How dense are you?!”

“Uh…” Geez, what is it with this girl and riddles?! “Well, I remember Twilight mentioning how to measure denseness, but I forget exactly what it was, it was so boring–”

“You stupid bird!” Cresta shouted as she went up to Peewee and violently grabbed him by the wings. “I want to mate with you, you dolt! Make love, make eggs, make the most adorable reddish-orange family the world has ever seen! Do you get it now, you birdbrain?!”

Peewee felt the color in his face drain as realization sunk in. “M…mate?!” he cried. “Uh…aren’t I a little young for that?!”

“Of course not, you adorable fool!” Cresta retorted in her earlier cutesy manner, which somehow creeped out Peewee even more than if she had continued yelling. “My mother always told me, ‘If he can fly, he’s good to go!’ Well, I’m good to go, honey.” She loomed over him and batted her eyes so quickly that hummingbirds would be jealous. “Are you?”

Peewee had a real dilemma to puzzle through this time. On one wing, a girl was interested in him! He didn’t expect that to happen so quickly! On the other wing, this was all happening a little fast! He had always thought he’d at least have a chance to go on a date with the girl of his dreams and impress her with his whistling and playing-his-belly-like-a-bongo abilities before he got to any of that mating stuff, which sounded gross from the way his father had told it. Fortunately, he was rescued from that dilemma by a loud and rough voice.

“Cresta?! What is the meaning of this?!” Both birds turned and saw another robin flying overhead: a male, judging by the voice. He looked similar to Cresta, except his head was darker and his chest was more puffed out, though Peewee couldn’t tell if that was natural or if he had sucked in some air to look bigger like Percival liked to do, especially when he was in an aggressive mood.

“Byron!” Cresta pushed herself away from Peewee and tried to look as sweet and innocent as she could, which is a little difficult to do when one has been coming on to someone with all the subtlety of a gaudily lit billboard in the middle of a quiet village. “It’s not what it looks like, darling! I was just playing a prank on the little guy, is all!”

“Oh, that was a prank?” Peewee said in relief as he rose to his feet. “Phew, you certainly had me fooled! Awesome job, Cresta!”

Cresta and Byron stared blankly at him for a few moments, before Byron cut in with, “Don’t give me that load of bird droppings, Cresta! I know you’ve been flirting with other birds behind my back! Why would you do this to me?!”

“Well, maybe I wouldn’t have to look for other birds if somebirdy would stop playing hard-to-get and mate with me already!” Cresta shot back, her demeanor turning back to aggressive in the blink of an eye, even a hummingbird’s eye.

“We’ve been over this before, Cresta,” Byron said in a weary tone. “I don’t want to mate until I’m certain I’m ready to start a family.”

“And I’ve told you,” Cresta retorted heatedly, “that we’ve been together for over a year now! You’ve had plenty of time to get certain! I’ve met snails that are faster to start a family than you!”

“Oh yes, because the Snail family is such a model family,” Byron replied mockingly (mockingbirdly?), “what with their children sliming everything they can reach and the mother having taken up salt!”

“Well, I don’t care!” Cresta squawked, her eyes full of malice. “I need somebirdy to satisfy me, and you’re clearly not up to the task!” She turned her head away from Byron and said sweetly, “Come on, Peewee, let’s show this clipped wing a thing or two about…”

Cresta stopped short as she realized that the little phoenix wasn’t in sight anymore.

“…Peewee?”

----------

As Peewee hurriedly flew away, he remembered hearing about Spike and his pony friends sending letters to a princess named Celestia whenever they learned something. He never really understood the point of it, but he now felt that if he knew how to write, he’d have a lesson of his own to share with her.

“Dear Princess Celestia,” he wrote in his head. “Love is weird. Your faithful student, Peewee.”

End of Part 2