• Published 9th Oct 2013
  • 1,782 Views, 109 Comments

Emmy - Selbi



Emerald Sky is a young, homeless filly living in a shabby alleyway in Manehatten, her home being made of nothing but cardboard. Her life came to this after a number of tragic events. And yet she keeps smiling even through tough times.

  • ...
13
 109
 1,782

Apple Joe

The song ends on a final chord, and the radio station continues with a less interesting song. I reduce the volume a little and finish eating my apple. I munch at the remaining pieces until only an inedible stump remains. I would eat it too, but even in my situation I have standards.

I get up to walk to the trash container and throw the stump away.

“Wow… I had no idea…”

I quickly turn to the voice, and am shocked to see the vendor I stole the apple from staring at me. “I-I’m sorry! I didn’t have anything to eat for two days now… Please don’t hurt me, sir!” I say while covering my head under my forelegs and starting to whimper.

“Hurt you? Sweet Celestia, I would never do that to a poor filly like you!”

I take my head out of cover and look up at the unicorn stallion looking at me with a soft yet worried expression. He uses his magic to throw the apple stump into the trash.

“I thought you were some fed-up town’s kid, too cheap of herself to spare one bit of her pocket money. If I knew you were really in such a terrible condition I wouldn’t have hesitated for a second to give you an apple.”

Tears fill my eyes again and I sniff a few times, but for the first time today truly because I’m happy. “T-thank you, sir! It really means a lot to me.” I lower my head a little. “I still feel bad about stealing that apple, though…”

“Hey, shut it. Stubborn old me wouldn’t have given in back there. Business has been pretty slow today, so I wasn’t exactly interested in sharing anything for free.” He motions to my cardboard house. “This… changes things a little, though.”

“Heh, if you say so. Thank you again for changing your mind, sir. Though I’m a little confused about something: I didn’t see anypony following me, so how did you find me?” I ask.

In this world we’re living, seven days a week,” he sings. My eyes brighten up a little at the realization. “This is one of my all-time favorite songs, and I heard it coming from this place combined with an amazing voice.” He boops my nose with his hoof. “You have an amazing voice!”

I lower my head in slight embarrassment. “You’re just saying that because of my situation. Besides, I can’t sing well with my constant hoarseness.”

“Nonsense, it’s amazing! You should go to a singing contest or something. I’m sure you will have some luck there.”

I am reminded of the flyer I found earlier. “Now that you mention it… There’s a karaoke contest going on in Manehatten in a few days.” I motion the vendor to follow me and show him the flyer. He picks it curiously up with his magic and reads out loud.

Manehatten searches for the next Karaoke Champion! All fillies and colts between six and nine are welcome!” He stops reading and looks at me, asking, “How old are you?”

“Eight, sir.”

“Right.” He goes back to reading, but interrupts himself. “Oh, and please, don’t call me ‘sir.’ My name is Apple Joe. What’s your name, by the way?”

“Emerald Sky, but you can call me Emmy.”

“Emmy it is. Nice to meet you. Now…” He shifts his focus to the flyer again and continues reading. “Signing up is not required, everypony is welcome! 1st prize is 100 bits! October 14th at Manehatten’s Gym Hall at 8 PM,” he finishes reading out.

“That’s tomorrow already!” I say with excitement, but my mood quickly turns around again. “The Gym Hall is quite a bit away though, and I would have to walk all the way back and forth in the darkness… I don’t think I can make it.”

Joe puts a hoof to his chin and thinks for a while. Then he says, “Well, I don’t have a carriage because my house is just a few minutes away from the market, but I think I have an idea. Say, what is it you do all day?”

“Huh?” I respond confused. “You mean like, what I do all day apart from sitting in this alleyway or begging for something to eat? Not much, really…”

“Then what would you think about giving me a helping hoof at work in exchange for some bits so you can go to the contest by cab?”

I look up at him, unsure if I didn’t just mishear what he said. “W-what? You mean, a job? That would be great!” I say in excitement.

“Yep! As I said earlier, business has been pretty weak recently. I guess it’s because of those Flim-Flom-or-something brothers going around stealing my customers. Do you think you could go around and spread the word about my stand a little?”

“Yes, that shouldn’t be too hard. Thank you, s– I mean, Joe.”

“Oh, that’s alright, Emmy. We can help each other’s hoof that way,” he says while ruffling through my hair in a playful manner. “Can I expect you at eight tomorrow?”

“You can count on it!”

“Haha, alright then. But… do you even have a clock?”

“I’m used to reading the time by looking at the sun’s position in the sky. It’s no problem for me.”

“Wow, that’s a pretty cool talent. Well then, see you tomorrow, Emmy!” With that, he turns around to walk away.

“Bye, Joe!”

“Oh, wait a minute…” Joe says, turning around again. He opens up his saddlebag and lifts a few bits out, then tosses them at my hooves. “Buy yourself a real dinner, please. It pains me to see such an innocent, little filly like this.” He smiles softly.

I gratefully pick up the bits and put them into my box home. “Thank you!”

“No problem. Hopefully you won’t have to starve anymore starting tomorrow. I really need to return to my stand now though. Bye!” he says.

“Bye bye! And thank you, again, Joe!”

And with that, he turns around and leaves my dark alleyway. I look up at the sky, which now feels much brighter than it did minutes ago.

Thank you…


I’m in my box home again, looking out at the starry night sky with a smile on my face.

The most of the previous few hours were spent on finding something to eat that would fill me up, but without spending too many bits on just that. I’m used to not eating much, so it didn’t take a lot to calm my hunger.

Another split of the bits was used to buy myself a new blanket. Or well, if you can call a stack of towels that. It’s still better than a bunch of old newspapers any day.

I used the remaining time to practice my singing for tomorrow’s karaoke contest. I’m still unconvinced about my talent, but Apple Joe sounded pretty serious when he said my voice sounds good. And I must admit, it does sound a little better than before, as I had something great to eat and drink to make my throat feel less sore.

Luck wasn’t with me the entire time though, as the radio station had a marathon of a band I’ve never heard before, so I was unable to sing to most of the songs that were played. Still, there were a few songs I recognized that had allowed me to sing along with them, and it was great to not only do so to pass the time like usual, but because it truly made me feel happy.

Heartstrings FM! It’s eight-thirty-one, and here’s the weather with Cloud Chaser,” the voice from the radio exclaims. I turn it off at that, not being interested in the boring talk about the weather and the news following it.

I snuggle myself into a comfortable position in my upgraded makeshift bed, then close my eyes while smiling.

“Good night, Emerald Sky.”

Author's Note:

Wow, I definitely didn't expect such a great amount of positive feedback. This is easily my most well-received fic yet, so thank you, everyone! I must admit, I felt like a silly little kid when I saw this. :V

So yeah, the story's being continued. I have a loose concept planned, but no clear ending. I'll just go along with whatever hits me while I write. Also, updates should be rather frequent, as I'll try to keep the chapters short.

Just one thing: I hope I didn't rush the change of mood from sad to happy in this chapter. I want to slowly improve Emmy's situation, but without making her seem like a Mary Sue. Tell me if I was too fast; feedback is always appreciated, positive or negative!

Finally, check this first audio draft of this story out if you haven't already, it's awesome!