• Published 3rd Oct 2013
  • 1,320 Views, 27 Comments

Wendigo May Cry - Ebony Stallion



The time of darkness is nearly upon Equestria. A powerful demon has his pieces in place. The only thing that stands between him and domination is a band of unlikely ponies, lead by an unexpected hero, who must face his own demons.

  • ...
4
 27
 1,320

Chapter One - The Return Of The King

Chapter One: The Return of the King

Celestia’s sun was just rising slowly into the sky as light poured into an infirmary through the blinded windows. The infirmary itself was not a big one, and not so busy, as there were only one occupant in one of the beds.

The occupant in question was Sombra, as he laid in his bed limply, his chest barely rising to a point one might thought he was dead, had it not been for the heart monitor that was hooked up to him, emanating short beeps in alignment with his heart-beat. The stallion looked like he had been through hell, his ebony-colored hair all messed up and his face seemed to be stuck in a perpetual scowl, letting out grunts of pain.

Watching him tossing and turning in his slumber was a stallion, keeping his green-irises eyes on the dark horse. The stallion in question was a rather aged one (apparent by the wrinkles under his eyes), his body about the size of Sombra, bearing a coat of an ash-gray color. His mane was silvery white, as well as the goatee he don on his chin. He appeared to be a unicorn, with his horn being a lighter silver than the rest of his body, and he wore a tattered dark red robe, covering his entire body with the exception of his legs.

The unicorn was lying on a chair that was conveniently placed next to Sombra’s bed. Music suddenly started to play, as on the other side of Sombra’s bed, was a crystal, which started to project a moving image, a video if you will. The video itself seemed sketchy, as static was visible throughout the screen, but it did not hide what it was showing.

In the video was a horse, except the way that it was dressed was rather odd: its entire body was completely dressed in black garments, barely visible by the light shown from behind him, as if it didn’t want anyone to see what he looked like. Its goal of hiding itself became more apparent as the horse was wearing a very creepy mask. It was completely white, contrasting against the rest of its outfit, with a horn sticking up at the top (thus making the being a unicorn as well), but instead of where the eye holes should be, there were two long vertical scars cutting through the entirety of the mask.

Along the top and the bottom of the video, were title bars, as it was being shown on a news cast, with the top red bar saying ‘LIVE’ in bold white letters, and on the bottom, in bold yellow, spelled ‘STALLION WANTED FOR TREASON’. In the bottom right corner, a logo depicting Celestia and Luna in a golden circle, and at the bottom of the logo, was the name, ‘EQUINES News Network’.


“The demons’ have been increasing their powers for over a millennia. They are on the verge of controlling pony-kind.” The being began, it’s voice deeply distorted and unnatural for a normal pony, as the horse closed in on the screen, “Equestria, we have been kept sleeping in deep slumber for too long. We must wake up!”

The video was soon replaced by another video, showing another unicorn, standing in front of a blue screen and at a desk. The unicorn was a middle-aged man, with a pale red coat and a chubby build. He wore a grey suit with a white shirt and a black tie, and short round glasses. His black hair was slicked over in an attempt to cover the bald spot he had, but it was not a very good job.

“The masked lunatic you saw there claims to be representing an organization called ‘Wendigo May Cry’” The unicorn stated, reading from the notes in his hooves, and mockingly emphasizing the name ‘Wendigo May Cry’, “This group had claimed responsibility for several serious attacks in recent weeks.”

“He is undoubtedly a traitor…and a terrorist.” The unicorn explained, the seriousness lined in his tone, as he then laid back,

“And I am not one for killing ponies and all…but there is one way to take care of these kind of ponies…to take the law into our hooves and shoot the son of a bitch.” The news reporter stated, slamming his hooves into the desk…but the unicorn merely calmed down, as he regain his composure, and giving a wry smile, “This is Honest Truth, just doin’ Celestia’s work.”

Instantly, the crystal shut off, “Can you believe all that crap?”

The old stallion watching Sombra looked up and saw a small-horned unicorn, his coat brown and his mane gray, with a scruffy beard on his snout, dressed in usual doctor attire. A smile cracked on the aged horse’s face, “Ah, Dr. Wiley. What brings you here?”

“Oh, just checking up on our ‘undead’ friend. The boss wanted to see if he had woken up yet.” Dr. Wiley smiled in return, although he faded as he saw the unconscious unicorn, “And apparently he hadn’t.”

“Just give it time, Winchester.” The old unicorn explained, “It took a lot out of both our leader and him to bring him back from…you know.”

“Of course. Still though…” The doctor nodded, as he approached the king, “It is unbelievable that you and he managed to pull off the unthinkable…if the Royal Pony Sisters were to find out-“

“They won’t.” The elder interrupted, “Not if we played our cards right.”

“Right…” Winchester frowned, “I still don’t see how the ‘Evil King of the Crystal Empire’ play into all of what we’re doing…can we even trust him?”

“Your concern is well-noted, doctor,” The old unicorn nodded, “But me and the leader would not have brought him back if we did not have a plan.”

“Well, I hope this is a good plan…because if it fails…we will be knee-deep in dragon sh-“

“GAH! “

In an instant flash, Sombra bolted awake screaming, his red eyes wide with shock and body covered in sweat, panting as if he saw a ghost.

“What the flying f-“ Winchester gasped before he was suddenly grasped by an unknown force and thrown against the wall, pinned to it as if an invisible monster was holding him up.

The old unicorn gaped in shock as he looked at Sombra, his red horn glowing a faint red, his eyes expressing anger…and fear?

Then, to the old stallion’s surprise, Sombra spoke, or rather yelled, his eyes darting left and right, “What’s going on?! Where am I?! Who are you ponies?!”

“Ga-Gan, help!” Wiley choked up, as he felt the grip on his neck tightened.

Immediately, the aged unicorn turned to Sombra and said quickly, “Please, calm yourself!”

“Silence, peasant! I am King Sombra! You shall address me as such!” The dark unicorn snarled, glaring at the old unicorn.

Normally for a unicorn as fearsome as Sombra, the pony that was addressing him would had cowered in fear…but, to his surprise, the old stallion did not even flinch at his anger.

The old horse just frowned, “Well, King Sombra, I have trouble discerning you a king…especially without your crown.”

Sombra growled, “What nonsense are you spouting about?! My crown is-“ He reached to feel his crown…only to realize that it was not there. Sombra’s eyes widen as he tried to feel around for it with his hooves…then, to his shock, he realized that his hooves were bare…in fact, he had none of his armor on him as well…simply, he was stark naked.

The dark unicorn then roared at the old unicorn, “What is this?! What had you done with my crown and my regalia?! Answer me, you fool!” He spouted the last part in the old stallion’s face, getting a bit of spit on him.

However, the old unicorn held firm as he wiped the spit off his face, and he calmly stated in a stern tone, “I will answer all of your questions…but first…could you kindly place Doctor Winchester Wiley down?”

Sombra’s anger abated for a bit, as he was a bit surprised…how could a feeble old geezer like him not be shivering in fright of him? Surely he would had suffered a heart attack by now. If he wasn't feeling as light-headed as he was right now, he would had had him against the wall with that ‘doctor’…but if he was going to get any answers as to what was going on…he had to comply with the old man’s demands…for now.

Much to the old stallion’s relief, Sombra calmed down and his horn stopped glowing, dropping Dr. Wiley unceremoniously to the ground. The doctor himself was now quivering under the dark unicorn’s glare, quite close to wetting himself in fear.

“Dr. Wiley…could you please inform our leader that our…guest…had awakened?” The old stallion requested.

The brown-coated unicorn didn't had to be told twice, as he high-tailed it out of the infirmary, trying to not look at the piercing red eyes of the unicorn glaring at him. As soon as Wiley was gone, Sombra instantly glared at the old horse.

“Okay, I let the sniveling whelp go…now, answer my questions…and I might not string your carcass out to dry…” Sombra threatened, his glare seething and intimidating.

However, the old unicorn did not break under his gaze…in fact, he simply chuckled, “Really, Sombra? You think threats like that scare me? I had heard threats much worse than that…”

Sombra blinked in shock. The old geezer was mocking him?! Why that arrogant piece of-

The dark unicorn suddenly gripped his head, as he felt pain surged through it. It felt like he was being trampled by a herd of buffalos right now…

“Whoa…take it easy, child…you are still recovering…” The old horse tried to sooth, as he moved his hoof to comfort him…only for it to be swatted away.

“Don’t patronize me!” Sombra growled, trying to maintain his intimidating stature, betrayed by the pain coursing through his head. “Answer my questions like I asked…or I swear…”

“Okay, okay…” The unicorn sighed, a bit put off by his rudeness, “…Exactly which question would you like answered first?”

Sombra grunted, trying to keep his very short temper in check, “First off…what is your name, old man?”

“Thought you would never ask.” The old stallion smiled, much to Sombra’s confusion, as he cleared his throat, “I am Ganondorf Redgrave…but ponies here calls me Ganon.”

“Hmph, what a freakish name…” Sombra grumbled.

“Says the unicorn whose name is Sombra…honestly, I’m surprised that ponies don’t call you Sombrero.” Ganon rebutted.

“Who asked-“ Sombra was about to scream…before realizing something, “Wait…how is it that you know my name?”

“Well, Som-“

“King Sombra.” Sombra corrected.

Ganondorf frowned before continuing, “Well, King Sombra…your reputation precedes you. Who else could forget the evil king who had risen to rule the Crystal Empire…only to be defeated by the Royal Pony Sisters, only to come about a thousand years later…and get his flank beaten again. Rather odd story it is…”

Sombra growled, “Well, if that damn lizard-“ Another thought occurred to him, “Wait…how could you had known about it? I was only defeated yesterday!”

Ganon looked at him oddly, “Yesterday? S-I mean, King Sombra, do you remember what happened to you?”

“How could I forget?! One moment I was standing atop my spire, ready to put my slaves back in their place, the next, there’s that alicorn whore Cadence shined that bright light on me…and like that, I wake up to find myself here!” Sombra snarled, the memory of his defeat etched deeply in his mind.

The old unicorn remained silent for a moment…before looking at Sombra with serious eyes, “Sombra. All that happened a year ago.”

The evil king glanced at him suspiciously, “What do you mean, peasant?!”

“Exactly as I said. You, King Sombra, was defeated by the joint effort of Princess Cadence and the Crystal Ponies a year ago at the Crystal Empire.” Ganondorf explained.

“What?! That can’t be! I remember every detail so clearly!” Sombra snapped, “All those fools were there…I was moments from taking back what was mine…and then…the Heart…that wretched heart…and everything went white! Then…then…” He trailed off, as his mind was drawing blanks, “I wake up to find myself…here.” The unicorn glared at Ganon, “What is the meaning of this? How is it that I ended up here?!”

Ganondorf said nothing, his frown deepened.

“Answer me, damn you!” Sombra roared.

The old unicorn sighed, “Well, King Sombra…I don’t know how to put this mildly…but a year ago…when you were hit by that light of the Crystal Heart…you were destroyed.”

“Destroyed? Me? What are you saying?!” The dark unicorn asked, as for once, he felt his stomach tightened.

The old unicorn took a deep breath…and looked at Sombra square in the eyes, “You were dead, Sombra.”

Silence echoed throughout the walls of the infirmary, as Sombra looked at Ganon in shock, his mouth gaped.

“I…” Sombra tried to collect his thoughts, but was rendered speechless, “I...I was…what?”

“Dead.” Ganon repeated, “Deceased. Six feet under. Having a fiddling contest with the devil. However you want to interpret it”

Anger returned to Sombra’s face, “That is impossible! If I was dead as you claimed, then why am I breathing the same air as you right now?!”

“I said you were dead. It was because of us that you are returned to live among the living.” The old unicorn answered.

“How can that be?” Sombra sneered, “Not even Celestia herself have the power to bring back the dead, let alone some pony who ‘obviously’ have no idea whom he is dealing with!”

“Oh, he does know, Sombra.” Ganon replied coyly, not bothering to address Sombra properly, “In fact, it was he who brought you here from the dead himself.”

Sombra’s glare turn to disbelief, “Really? Could you be so kind as to telling me why?”

“I think that question is best answered by the big stallion himself.” Ganondorf replied, “If you are feeling well enough, I can take you to meet him right now.”

“Well, if it’s all the same to you…Ganon…” Sombra scowled, saying the old unicorn’s name like an insult, “I rather be directed towards the exit. I have somewhere else to be…” The dark unicorn slowly raised himself from his cot, as he set his hooves on the cold hard floor. However, as soon as Sombra was standing, he felt a bout of light-headedness struck him again, sending him to his knees.

“I wouldn’t recommend going outside.” Ganon advised, “You had just been brought back to life last night, and you need to take time to recover. It was a surprise that you were even able to pull off a telekinesis spell so soon after revival…usually, it takes normal ponies weeks to do so.”

“I am no normal pony…” Sombra seethed, as he tried to get back to his hooves, “And I’m damn sure I don’t need recovery. I have a kingdom to take back and a few fools to smite!” However, his body seem to betray his determination, as he fell to his knees again.

“Uh, what part of ‘just been brought back to life’ seemed to have slipped your mind?” Ganon said in an annoyed tone, “Your magic and your body are in no state to smite anybody, let alone take back any kingdoms. Now if you just come with me…”


“I will do no such things!” Sombra roared, “I am King Sombra, the rightful ruler of the Crystal Empire and I will not take requests of some old coot-GAH!” The dark unicorn fell once more, trying to shake off the light-headedness.

“Stop being stubborn, Sombra.” Ganondorf sighed, as he helped Sombra up to his hooves (much to his displeasure), “You are coming with me to meet the boss and that is that.”

Sombra gave an indignant glare, “Why makes you think you have any authority over me, a king?!”

“Three things actually.” Ganon said with a roll of his green eyes, “One: You are not technically a king without your crown.” Sombra was about to refute, but the old stallion cut him off, “Two: In your state…I could over power you.”

“What?! That is preposterous! I can easily break your neck with my magic!“ The dark horse fumed, his horn glowing…only for the horn to start sputtering, as if it was short-circuiting, and the glow faded. Sombra gave a glance at his horn and looked at Ganon, trying to mask his embarrassment.

“Just as I thought.” Ganon sighed, as Sombra gave an indignant growl, “Lastly...three: my leader did bring you back to life…would it hurt you to meet and actually thank the stallion responsible for your resurrection?”

The stallion was moments away from giving the old unicorn another tongue lashing…but as much as he hated to admit it, this old geezer was right. He was not at his strongest…and a part of him…not sure which part to be exact, wanted to meet this ‘boss’ and figure out his next plan of action.

Besides, it will allow him to bide his time to strike this annoyingly calm unicorn down when he least expect it.

Sombra let out a groan, “Fine. I will go with you.” Ganon gave a small smirk, “But just because I have no idea where the Tartarus I am, not because I am not feeling my best.” The dark stallion added, keeping up the facade of intimidation.

“Whatever it is you must tell yourself…King Sombra.” Ganondorf chortled as he walked out the infirmary’s door, leaving Sombra fuming as the evil ex-king followed him.

Okay, Ganon…I have no bucking idea who you think you are…but one thing is certain…” Sombra distastefully thought to himself.

I do not like him.

Author's Note:

Well, I hoped you enjoyed the second installment of Wendigo May Cry. If you recognize the elements used in some parts of this chapter, good for you, I did mention that this is based off DmC: Devil May Cry. I am glad that everyone enjoyed the first chapter and I hope that everyone had enjoyed this one.

If you have a comment, please post it. Just no flames or I will dowse and delete.

If any of you guys are interested in pre-reading, drop me a pm.

I hope I did a good job of portraying Sombra. I wanted to maintain his villain attitude and I hope I maintain it in this chapter.

Also, keep your eyes on Ganon and Dr. Wiley...they will play a role.