• Published 2nd Oct 2013
  • 2,191 Views, 23 Comments

The Ruby Heart - tobiason-the-chosen-1



Spike has been crushing on Rarity for a long time. Few years after Twilight became princess, and Spike is older, the dragon finally has the courage to ask Rarity out.

  • ...
10
 23
 2,191

The Letter

I

SPIKE

It has been five years since her Royal Highness, Princess Celestia, deemed worthy my very close friend, Twilight Sparkle, as a princess. Twilight and I continued to live the the library of PonyVille.

I've known Twilight ever since the beginning. She was the first pony I saw when I hatched from my purple and green dragon egg. I have been her assistant for the thirteen years of my life and I still remain her assistant, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. When Twilight moved from Canterlot to PonyVille, she made five new friends, among them was the love of my life, Rarity.

I have had a crush on Rarity ever since the day Twilight and I moved the PonyVille eight years ago. Rarity was a unicorn unlike any other. Her talent; fashion. Her snow white coat was always groomed beautifully, and her curled, purple mane went nicely with her sky blue eyes and sapphire cutie mark. I'm just a purple and green scaled dragon that has grown wings over the years. I'm nothing special. Though I can breathe fire...

I have debated on asking out my childhood crush many times before by sending her love letters. Though right before I sent them, Twilight was doing spring cleaning, and found my letters. She read aloud to herself and laughed as hard as she could. So...yeah, That's when plan B has to come in. Though I still haven't exactly made plan B yet. My original idea is to confront Rarity in person and ask her out, but I'm too afraid I'll get rejected. And of course asking Twilight or anypony else for advise will be a huge embarrassment.

Most of this love tornado not only started the first day I met the beautiful, white unicorn (but it was love at first sight), but I have given her a delicious looking ruby gemstone in the shape of a heart, which Rarity made into a necklace. Whenever she wears that necklace, I remember that satisfying (since I made my crush happy) and unsatisfying day (because I was hungry the rest of the day).

"Hey, Twilight?" I ask.

"A little busy right now with this freaking princess stuff!" Twilight shouts in response from downstairs.

"Oh. Well, I was just wondering if I could borrow a quill and some paper."

"There's some on my desk upstairs." she informs me.

"Thanks." I say and head for Twilight's room.

Sure enough, she has a stack of paper and a jar of quills and ink all laid out neatly on her desk. I grab a piece of parchment, a quill and ink jar and head into my room.

I have no idea how to start the letter so I simply wrote what came to my head. I read and re-read, write and re-write what I wrote until I deem it perfect. I'm pretty proud with the results:

My Dearest Rarity,

I am writing this letter in attempt to ask you something I haven't been courageous enough to ask you in person before. Is it possible if we could meet at Sugar Cube Corner for brunch tomorrow? It would be a great pleasure to have a nice chat or something or other. It has been awhile since we have last seen each other. You've been busy with your new fashion line, which I must say is fabulous, and I have been on a tight schedule recently, working for Twilight and all. Anyway, I hope that you will accept my invitation and that we can meet at Sugar Cube Corner at approximately ten o'clock tomorrow morning.

Sincerely,

Spike

With that, I set off to deliver my letter personally.

****

As I walk to the Carousel Boutique, I run into Derpy.

"Hi there, Spike!" the gray mare says. "I can deliver that letter for ya."

"Um...no thanks, Derpy. But thanks for the offer." and with that, I continued my walk to Rarity's.

When I reach my crush's home, I decide to leave my letter in her mailbox since I was too shy to give it to her in person. I mean, yeah, we've known each other for eight years and during that time I had been too chicken to ever ask Rarity out. And I still am. I put my letter in Rarity's mailbox an leave. Normally, I would've hidden in a tree and wait and see her reaction. But I try to be a gentleman (or gentlepony, rather).

I return to the library. I grab a book labeled Love is in Bloom. Twilight had written the book shortly after her brother, Shining Armor, got married to Princess Cadence, Twilight's old foal-sitter. When I pass my friend's study, I hear her murmur to herself in frustration. "Dammit! All the letters I've received from ponies are horribly written! How in Equestria is it possible for ponies to not know proper grammar? Does anypony know how to write a formal letter?"

I head to my room and start reading. The book is about the whole fiasco at the Royal Canterlot Wedding. With Queen Chrysalis disguising herself as Cadence, Celestia being overpowered, Shining Armor and Cadence defeating the Queen of the Changelings, and the real wedding with a happy ending. When I finish reading, I realize it's much later than I'd thought. It was at least ten thirty. I get up, put the book away, and head back to my room. That's when I start to feel sick. I burp up a letter as well as some green fire.

The letter is rolled up and a baby blue, satin ribbon held it together. I unroll the letter and read it. The letter reads:

Dear Spike,

It would be my pleasure to join you for brunch at Sugar Cube Corner tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it until eleven o'clock. I hope this time fits in with your schedule. We have so much to talk about! It has felt like forever since we last acquainted. I'm looking forwards to meeting up with you, darling.

Kind regards,

Rarity

After reading the letter Rarity sent me, I feel proud of myself. Why was I so afraid to ask her to meet up with me before? I'm not entirely sure, but I have a good feeling about tomorrow.