• Published 22nd Sep 2013
  • 5,973 Views, 226 Comments

The Man in Black - Eagle



Johnny Cash introduces Equestria to Country.

  • ...
12
 226
 5,973

A Boy Named Sue

“So does this mean you won’t be stayin’ with us no more?” Apple Bloom asked, obviously scared that her friend would leave now that he had gained fame.

“Ya’ll were kind enough to take me in when I first came here, even though I was totally new ‘round here,” John explained. “Course I’m not leavin’ ya’ll.”

Apple Bloom immediately perked up, now knowing that her friend wouldn’t be leaving her. Johnny thought he also heard I sigh of relief come from Applejack; her attitude was starting to confuse him, lately. Either way, he was saying his goodbyes for the time being and getting on a train with Octavia at to the first stop of the tour, Canterlot.

“You promise?”

“Promise,” Johnny said, kneeling down to pat her head and sending her back to the rest of the group.

“Good luck, Johnny,” Twilight shouted from the platform to the train. “And say hi to the Princesses if you see them!”

“Ok, take care!” he called back before boarding the train.

Johnny took a seat next to Octavia; and as expected, it was a bit small for him. All the same, he could deal with it. It didn’t help that he preferred to carry his guitar with him rather than put it with the rest of the luggage; but, being he felt it was worth it to ensure nothing happened to it.

As he settled into the tight fit, he also noticed the reaction of the other passengers. Some were starring, others were whispering something. It was not just because he was a human, but from what he heard, it was because of who he was.

“You see him?” he heard the two mares in front of him talking quietly. “The one sitting behind us, that’s Johnny Cash!”

This was a familiar sight to him, though he hadn’t seen it in so long.

“So that’s him,” the red one observed, peeking back behind her seat to see.

“Yea, I saw him playing earlier this week; he’s incredible!” the yellow mare next to her whispered loud enough for most to hear her.

“Well, thank you very much, ma’am,” Cash said.

“Oh, could you hear me?” she asked, blushing slightly. “I’m very sorry!”

“Hey, it’s no big deal; I always enjoy meetin’ fans,” he said, smiling.

With that sentence, many others in the car who had been watching got up to meet him.

“Um, I’m really sorry to ask this, but…could you play a song?” she asked. “My friend here didn’t get a chance to hear you play that night.”

“I wouldn’t mind at all,” he said, taking out his guitar.

He started off slowly, eventually strumming out a concise pattern.

“Oh, thank you so much!” she squeed happily, though she had no real clue as to what the song was about.

“My pleasure,” he said. “But if ya’ll don’t mind, I need to talk to my friend concerning some business.”

“Looks like your fame is spreading a bit,” Octavia observed.

“I’m used to that,” John replied, placing his guitar back. “So, what kinda place am I playin’ in tonight?”

“The Princess actually set up a stage in the castle garden,” the pony stated. “Everypony in the city is allowed, which should help spread your name a bit more.”

“Every resident in the city?”

“Don’t worry, you might be famous, but it hasn’t spread that quickly. You only played in one spot, remember? It shouldn’t be too crowded.”

“Hm, ok. What are the people like?”

“Ponies, you mean.”

“Do you really have to correct me every time I mess up with that?” he asked. “Can’t you just leave it? It's not as easy as it seems.”

“Fine, if you insist,” she replied. “Most of the ponies of the city are of the higher class, but I’m not really sure how many of them will want to see you.”

“Eh, I don’t think rich folks would get the message anyways,” Cash said. “Most of my stories are about the lives of normal folks.”

“You never know, Mr. Cash.”


Johnny had to admit that the gardens of the castle were lovely. Filled with flowers and hedges trimmed into shapes; it would have been nice to walk through it on a quiet afternoon. Tonight, much of the vast area had been covered by the medium-sized stage and seats.

At first, Johnny thought they would not come to listen; thinking that they had already heard about the songs he did play and decided it was nothing special. Peeking from the stage’s curtains to get a glimpse, he was greeted by a sea of ponies. Most did seem to be rather well-off, but he saw an ample amount of what he guessed was middle-class.

“Nervous, Mr. Cash?” he turned around to meet Celestia, as well as another, darker alicorn with her.

“Nah, I’ve gotten past that,” he said confidently. “Oh, and Twilight wanted me to say hi.”

“Thank you,” she replied, before turning to stand in-between the other alicorn and the human. “Mr. Cash, I would like to introduce my sister; Princess Luna, ruler of the night.”

“Tis wonderful to finally meet thee,” she said, the old wording taking Johnny by surprise. “Our sister spoke most highly of thee.”

“It’s nice to meet you, too,” he replied. “Must be a lot a work runnin' the night.”

“More or less,” she replied.

“I’d like to keep chattin’, but I think I’m due on in a minute,” he stated.

“Of course, we wish you the best luck, Mr. Cash,” she said, trotting off with her sister.

“Oh, and thanks for lettin’ me play here!” he called out.

“It was no big deal,” Celestia said. “I’m sure we’ll all enjoy it.”

With that Johnny stretched out his muscles and took his place in front of a microphone on the stage. He plucked each string once to make sure it was in tune. Lastly, he took a long sip of water from a glass provided and wiped his hand over his forehead.

“Ladies and Gentlecolts, I am very happy to present to you this astonishing event,” he heard Celestia’s voice. “Here from his home, and the only human in Equestria, musician John R. Cash will be playing some of his native music for us.”

It irked him that she had to use his name so formally; but, he’d correct that soon enough.

“I do hope you all enjoy the show. So, please give a warm welcome to Mr. John R. ‘Johnny’ Cash!”

The curtain rose up, followed by a very respectful, very formal, round of claps.

“Hello, I’m Johnny Cash,” he said, using his classic opening. “I’m happy to be the first one to introduce ya’ll to Country music. I do hope ya’ll will enjoy it. So, sit back and relax, and I’ll tell ya’ll a little love story.”

Johnny really hadn’t expected to crack that pompous, high-class shell so easily. About half way through, many were already clapping wildly. It was like the song had released them from this constant formal attitude they felt forced into. It made him feel good.

“Thanks, thank ya very much,” he yelled over the cheers. “I’m gonna take a quick break, then I’ll be right back for one more.”

Johnny stepped off to the left of the stage and was immediately approached by a blue-coated unicorn stallion. He wasn’t wearing anything except a saddlebag, which told Cash that he was not one of the rich ones. He also seemed to be young; probably in his mid-twenties.

“Hey, Mr. Cash!” he shouted, despite being right in front of him.

“Hey there, how can I help ya?”

“Would you mind if I got an autograph?”

Cash blinked in surprise; it had been so long since anyone had asked him for that.

“I-I’m sorry-”

“No, it’s fine,” Cash stopped him. “Just wasn’t expectin’ somethin’ like that so early on.”

“I was actually in Ponyville the night you were performing,” the pony explained. “I had to come see you in my home town!”

“Heh, alright,” John said, chuckling. “You got a pen and some paper?”

The unicorn produced a piece of small paper and a quill & ink from his saddlebag, magically holding it in front of him. Johnny picked up the quill and began to scribble on the paper. He was surprised how it could be levitated and written on and not need a hard surface to lay it down on.

“Let’s see here,” he said. “To my friend and fan- what’s your name?”

The unicorn looked down slightly.

“It’s…uh…RedRose,” he said quickly and quietly.

“Pardon? I didn’t catch that.”

“Red Rose,” he said shakily, looking back up. “Sorry, it’s just…I don’t know if you know or not but…it’s kind of a mare’s name.”

“Ah, I see now,” Johnny realized.

“Yea, my family has always been florists, and…I’d rather not say why my dad named me that…well it was…he,” the stallion stopped to put his words together. “Sorry, I understand if you think it’s silly.”

“Not at all,” Cash said. “It’s you stick with your family. That’s what’s important, not the name.”

He went back to the paper.

“To my friend and fan Red Rose. Drive On. Johnny Cash.”

He replaced the quill and the three items hovered back into the bag.

“Thanks,” he said.

“Feelin’ better?”

“Kinda, yea.”

“Tell you what, you get back to yer seat, and reeeally listen to the next song. Ok?”

“Ok, thank you.”

Johnny walked back on stage and took another chug of water. Already, some were clapping in approval of his return. He, once more, took his spot in front of the mic.

“I’d like to dedicate this to a boy in the audience called Red Rose,” he said.

Some in the crowd chuckled, and Johnny saw the unicorn hid his face in his hooves.

“Now don’t laugh, now,” he commanded. “I’m no stranger to odd names. In fact, I’ll tell ya’ll a story about a boy who had a girl’s name in my world. And you know what his name was? His name was Sue.”

The crowd seemed a little stunned from the brutal reality of the story; that and the couple of swears. Still, they applauded it all the same heavily. One of which, he saw, was his friend Red Rose.

“Thank ya’ll!” he yelled. “G’night!”

Author's Note:

Thank you again for reading and the response. Comment if you want, feedback's always welcome. Take care until next time.