• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 406 Views, 8 Comments

Mercury's Misadventures In Author Land - Mercury Zero



A collection of short 'stories' written in approximately 15 minutes each

  • ...
 8
 406

The Snake and the Angel

The snake didn’t frighten Fluttershy. Even the most ferocious beasts of the forest didn’t frighten Fluttershy. Perhaps they sensed her kindness and love, and that’s why they would always be so calm and gentle around her.

The snake’s scales were a vibrant emerald green, and it was long enough that it could have coiled around Fluttershy three or four times if it ever had the inclination to do so. Snakes like these have even been known to eat ponies, from time to time, in particularly tragic or negligent circumstances.

Even though the dangerous nature of the beast was nothing new or unfamiliar to Fluttershy, she wasn’t completely immune to it. She’s a pony, after all. She knows fear just like any other pony.

Her fear didn’t show, when the snake curled up her leg, and nestled in to cuddle her cheek. Fluttershy just leaned in, to gently cuddle him back with her cheek.

Animals, it’s said, are even more sensitive to the emotions of ponies than even other ponies, and the emerald snake wasn’t any different. Even though it was a simple creature, it had enough awareness to know that the moist feeling on the back of its neck was a teardrop, and, with a snakey brow furrowed, it drew back to gently tilt its head at Fluttershy.

It may not have ever seemed that way, but Fluttershy was a very strong pony. Even if one of her pets dies, she can usually contain her tears. After all, her love for animals was deeper than just an affection for cuddly creatures. Fluttershy appreciated everything about nature, including the beautiful and intricate balance of the cycle of life.

“Don’t worry. It’s okay. I’m not angry.”

The snake tilted his head. His concerned expression had a hint of confusion in it now. He reached out with his nose and proffered tiny nuzzles and drew back after each one to see if they were cheering Fluttershy up. They grew more distressed and nervous as Fluttershy’s pained grimace only got more intense. He hissed and leaned in to curl around Fluttershy’s neck and cuddle tightly.

Fluttershy reached out to stroke over lump in the snake’s midsection, and closed her eyes tightly.

“Goodbye, Angel.”

She couldn’t contain her feelings anymore. The sound of her own words, now finally spoken, released all the pain that was building inside her. Her agonized expression clenched, and her teeth chattered. She sputtered out a tortured sob.

The trees and bushes rustled, and, with cautious steps, dozens of heartbroken animals emerged, and looked up at Fluttershy. Their ears were low and their eyes shaking with sympathetic tears. Several tiny paws reached out to gently touch at Fluttershy’s flank.

“I love you too. I love all of you. D-don’t worry. Don’t worry about me.”

Author's Note:

I've gone and done it again. I turned this one into a 1000 word story.