• ...
6
 119
 2,551

Questions

Shining Armor walked the halls of the palace in silence. The events of the last few hours were weighing heavily on his mind.

Did mother really do what was best? Or is she too tired to think logically? Shining asked himself these and many more questions on his way back to his room.

"Is it usually so easy to sneak up on you?" a voice said to the alicorn's right. Shining looked up from his pondering to see Cadence walking beside him, a soft smile on her face.

"Only when I'm distracted," Shining replied, forcing a smile.

Cadence frowned at the fake grin. "You are right to be troubled," she told him, his face returning to a brooding look. "You can not blame yourself for Twilight's choices. You showed great loyalty in accompanying her and even greater loyalty by informing your mother of Twilight's ill fated expedition," the princess said, attempting to ease Shining's mind. Cadence placed her arm around him, bringing him close.

Shining leaned into her ear. "I know, but with war on the horizon. I believe it may have been more prudent to give Twilight some other punishment," Shining said. The two drifted for a moment, with Cadence giving him a curious glance. "I know better than any pony that my sister needed a lesson in humility, but to send her away when we may need her the most? It seems impractical."

Cadence sighed. "I can not pretend to see the wisdom in the All-Mother's decision, but she has always acted in the best interest of her people. I think it best if we trust in her guidance,” she advised.

Shining thought for a moment, still unsure. "Perhaps," he answered. Shining smiled at Cadence. "Thank you for your company. I'll rest a little easier tonight," he said as they reached his room. "I do wonder though. What is your opinion of my sister's actions?" Shining asked, curious about his companion's thoughts.

"Oh it isn't my place to question the actions of a princess," Cadence replied, shaking her head, uncertain what she would say.

"Please. It would be good to hear your opinion of the matter," Shining Armor pressed.

Cadence loomed unsure, but answered. She turned away from Shining, almost ashamed of what she would say. "I think Twilight was much too rash in her decision. She should have heeded her mother. It is my belief that your sister is simply not suited for the duties she was chosen for," the pink alicorn explained.

Shining thought about this for a moment. "You may be on to something. Twilight was always more at home in a library than a battlefield," Shining agreed. "I do appreciate your honesty Cadence. And I thank you for your company."

"It was my pleasure," Cadence said, giving the stallion a kiss on the cheek before departing. Shining Armor could only blush as he watched the princess walk away, a sway in her hips.

/////////////////////////////

"Would it have killed you to be more understanding of Spike?" Blossomforth asked. "Twilight saved him from the poverty of his realm. She is important to him."

Raindrops rolled her eyes as she and her friend ate dinner. Raindrop bit into her celery stick with a crunch as she spoke. "I believe what I said. Is it not true that Twilight dragged us along on several campaigns into enemy territory? Yes, she always made it seem like we had a choice, but any time we wanted to back out, she'd guilt us into going anyway.” She swallowed her chunk of vegetable.

"That's not entirely true though. She let us be if we were injured or sick," Blossomforth pointed out. She hadn’t even touched her food, her mind was occupied on Twilight and Spike. Their relationship was a strong one, like the bond between a brother and sister. Or mother and son. Spike’s loyalty to Twilight was incorruptible.

Raindrops scowled as she took a bite of her salad. "Only because we would have been a hindrance to Her Royalness," she said mockingly through her mouthful as her teeth ripped into the celery.

Blossomforth wanted to argue, but couldn't. She honestly didn't know if Twilight considered them friends. There were times when Twilight was kind to them, but it was usually to manipulate them into getting what she wanted. They were not her friends, they were her slaves. However, Spike, on the other hand, was always the middle pony… or dragon in his case. He would always try to create peace with everyone and make a situation better for all. He would be their voice to persuade Twilight of her wrong doing. She felt a pit in her stomach. She felt as if she was using Spike, the way Twilight used them. "Well that may be, but Spike has always been there for us. We owe him a great deal," she said, causing Raindrops to lower her head in shame.

"Fine. I'll talk to him after dinner, but I still think Twilight needs to learn to treat us better. We may owe Spike, but she owes us," Raindrops replied before returning to her meal. She and Blossomforth finished their supper in silence.

//////////////////////////

Celestia entered her chambers after a long day in court hearing the woes of her people and helping them as best she could. It was exhausting, but today she felt more drained of energy than usual. "It's almost time," she said to herself.

"I suspected as much." Celestia turned, startled to see Luna sitting in a shadowy corner of the room.

"Luna! You should not sneak up on ponies," Celestia scolded.

"I would not have been able to if you were at full strength," Luna replied, giving her sister a disapproving look. "Why did you not inform me the Solar sleep was upon you?"

Celestia frowned. "I did not want to worry anypony. Especially with Twilight's coronation," she explained, looking down in sadness.

Luna shook her head. "You should have at least told me." Celestia couldn't meet her sister's eyes. Luna sighed before speaking again. "Why did you banish her? It's rather ill timed, is it not?" the blue alicorn inquired.

"She needs to learn the value of what she no longer has," Celestia said simply.

"She has already learned the consequences of misusing her power," Luna pointed out.

"It's not just that. She put the others in danger for no other reason than to prove me wrong. She is arrogant and treats Raindrops and Blossomforth as little more than tools. She needs to know the value of their loyalty," Celestia explained, her brow furrowing the more she spoke.

Luna could only look out into the distance. She had known that Twilight Sparkle had difficulties treating ponies as ponies instead of tools and servants to be used when she pleased. While Luna did agree with her sister that Twilight needs this lesson, she questioned the time and method. Luna gave her sister a hard look. "And what of the war? How are we supposed to fend off the Windigos with Twilight gone and you so exhausted?" the night Princess asked, her expression worried.

"You and Shining Armor are more than capable of leading our forces against Frostmourne. Equinsgard will be in good hands," Celestia assured her sister.

Luna shook her head. "It will not be the same. Our soldiers will be ill at ease without you. Not to mention the guards we will need to post for your protection. Our forces are spread thin as they are. We cannot afford to give the enemy any edge," Luna stated.

"I know," Celestia said, looking at the ceiling, glass roofing providing a clear view of the starry sky above. Luna looked at her sister expectantly. "And so does Twilight. It is up to her to overcome her faults. She can no longer act so commanding over her comrades. Otherwise she would suffer a fate much worse than banishment," Celestia continued. Luna looked unsure. "I have the fullest confidence that she will learn her lesson before it is too late. Now if you'll excuse me I must rest. We will be convening with our generals for a war council in the morning."

Luna walked towards the door. Luna wasn’t entirely convinced, but her sister was far wiser than she was. Celestia had been questioned in the past for various actions, but somehow, they would always work out in the end. Despite her anxiety, she put her faith in her sister. "Very well sister. I pray that you have acted in the best interest of our realm and not just in hopes that Twilight would be more tolerable," she said as she left.

"She will be more than tolerable. Once she returns there will be hardly any threat in the universe who would wish to oppose her," Celestia said as she crawled into bed. The doors closed as Luna departed and Celestia fell into a deep sleep.

////////////////////////////

Spike entered the Bifrost and found Owlowicious with his back turned towards the entrance.

"How may I be of service to you young drake?" the giant owl asked without turning his head to regard his visitor.

Spike puffed up his chest, trying to look as official as possible. "I have been sent for a report on the Windigo's activities. The All-Mother wishes to know how they are preparing for the war," he stated walking around the owl so they were face to face.

"I have already submitted my report and Celestia has just gone to bed," the gatekeeper said. "Why have you come to see me?" Owlowicious asked, turning to look the dragon in the eye.

Spike was unsettled that he had been found out so easily. He sighed before explaining. "I was wondering if you could see Twilight," he said, his face downcast.

The guardian regarded Spike for a moment before responding. "It is often simpler to state what you desire instead of seeking it in a roundabout way," Owlowicious advised, Spike looked up in surprise.

The great owl turned his gaze back to the stars at the edge of the horizon. "She has been sent to Midgard. She is in a land called Equestria," he stated.

"Is she safe?" Spike asked, his voice full of worry.

"Yes. She has been found by a pair of mortals and they have provided her shelter," the owl continued.

Spike smiled at this. "It must have been a surprise for them to meet an alicorn," he mused, trying to picture the reactions of the mortals.

Owlowicious looked troubled, which was rare and Spike noticed immediately. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"The All-Mother has stripped Princess Twilight of her power," Owlowicious stated. Spike's jaw dropped in astonishment.

"That's insane! How is Twilight to protect herself should the need arise?!" the young dragon shouted, smoke trailing from his mouth.

"I will not pretend I fully understand Celestia's motives myself, but perhaps Twilight is meant to learn to trust other ponies with her life," the owl guessed.

"She trusted her friends," Spike said angrily.

"Of which she had few. You are the only one outside of her family that she truly had faith in. She took your comrades trust for granted and they have begun to notice," Owlowicious explained.

Spike was about to make a retort but was interrupted. "Raindrops has been looking for you. She is headed here now. I suggest you restore her faith in Twilight before she loses it entirely," the guardian said, ending the conversation. Spike left without another word, seething at what he had learned. His mind recalling the day he met Twilight.

////////////////////

Spike sat on the ground in the marketplace of Nidavellir. It was the home of the Great Dragon Forges, where some of the most powerful weapons were created. The small purple dragon wasn't concerned by the quality of the weapons the leaders of his realm made. He was more worried about feeding himself for the day.

The day was a hot one, but then all days in Nidavellir were hot. Most creatures couldn’t stand the temperatures for long periods of time. Dragons, however, were accustomed to the heat. Spike slithered out of an alleyway as the crowd of dragons seemed to march on without giving him even a glance.

"What is this place?" said an almost disgusted voice. Spike looked up to see an unexpected sight. The Royal Equinsgardian family was walking through the marketplace of his humble home. The male alicorn almost looked as though he'd rather be someplace else. Spike’s mind went to work as he noted the royal garbs on the three alicorns. He smiled thinking that the garbs of the royal family of Equinsgard would be worth at least one, maybe two, gems. He snuck back into his alley way and watched as the alicorns came closer, following a dragon.

"This is the heart of our civilization. It isn't much to look at, but it is mostly the homeless that reside here," their guide explained. “But further are the great forges, these are where our greatest weapons are made.”

The younger mare in the group gave him a questioning look. “Why are so many here in poverty? They should be taken care of with food and shelter?” She looked around, taking note of dragons, young and old laying in the streets, moaning for either food or medicine.

The dragon snarled. "We do not support each other as well as you do in Equinsgard. Here, if a dragon cannot provide for themselves, they are shunned," said the large dragon leading the family. “Dragons are a proud race.” Spike noticed the purple alicorn looking at him with pity.

"Do you not care for your people?" the purple mare asked. “Why do you mistreat them like this?!” her voice raised to a near yell.

"Twilight, show some respect," the All-Mother said. Spike would recognize her anywhere. She was the subject of many stories he had heard when he was younger and had made several appearances since the war with the Windigos. Spike bit his lip and began to doubt stealing the garbs off them. If Celestia, the All-Mother, the most powerful alicorn in all of Equinsgard was here, and he stole from her… it would surely mean his end. He slunk back into his alleyway, laying in the dirt and ash beneath him.

"It is alright," the older dragon replied, smiling at Twilight's indignation. "We believed that to earn the care of others we must care for ourselves first. Selfishness is grown through greed. And greed is born of pride. A dragon must be willing to be humble and work hard for what they want. We do not accept charity or gifts instead prefer to earn what we desire. This philosophy has provided us with only the best smiths our realm has to offer," he explained.

Twilight didn't seem satisfied with the answer, but kept her thoughts to herself. She then looked at her surroundings and her eyes were almost immediately drawn to Spike. The alicorn approached him and Spike, unsure what to do, simply looked away from her.

"Are you lost?" she asked.

Spike gave her a quizzical look. "No. I know exactly where I am," he replied, unsure where this conversation was going. He started to back away slowly.

"Then why are you here all alone?" Twilight pressed.

Spike looked away in shame. "Because I have no marketable skills. I cannot care for myself," he explained, ashamed.

Twilight's eyes widened. "Even the children are left to fend for themselves?" she asked, seemingly outraged.

Spike would have been surprised by the alicorn's anger if he weren't offended. "I'm no child. I have survived on my own since the end of the war," he defended.

Twilight seemed even more shocked. "That was almost two decade ago. I cannot stand this. You deserve better," she stated, a determined look in her eye.

"Well I won't accept your charity. It’s demeaning. A dragon must earn what he wants," Spike replied, stating his belief in his pride.

Twilight thought for a moment. "What if I offered you a job then?" she asked catching Spike by surprise. "I was named as my mother's successor as All-Mother a few years ago. I was thinking of taking on an assistant," she offered.

Spike thought about this. "I suppose as long as it’s real work, it would still be honorable," he reasoned with himself. He smiled. It was uncommon for a dragon to serve a pony. Hela, even unheard of. However, this pony was offering him food and shelter in exchange for his services. Not even his own kind would do that. He was force to steal and rob others to survive, making him hated even more by his own kind.

"Then you'll take the job?" Twilight asked. Spike nodded. "Good. Then pack your things. You're coming home with me. I'm Twilight by the way. What may I call you?" the alicorn asked.

"I'm Spike," the young Dragon replied, following his new employer as she trotted to catch up with her family.

///////////////////////////

Spike arrived at the other end of the bridge leading to the Bifrost just as Raindrops and Blossomforth arrived. The dragon noticed Raindrops looking a little uncomfortable.

"What do you want?" Spike said coldly.

Blossomforth nudged her fellow pegasus forward. Raindrops looked Spike in the eye and sighed. "I'm sorry for what I said," she apologized. Spike gave her a skeptical look. "I believe what I said, but I was much too harsh in my wording. I guess I'm still a little angry for feeling like I was used so Twilight could prove herself," she explained.

Spike regarded the mare for a moment. "I know Twilight hasn't always been friendly with you, but you can't believe she would ever intentionally put you at risk," Spike told them.

"We know," Blossomforth said. "It’s just a bit difficult to follow a leader who never opened up to you," she continued.

Spike wanted to disagree, but had no argument. "I understand. Twilight has trouble letting others past her guard," the drake replied.

"She didn't seem to have a problem letting you in," Raindrops pointed out.

Spike scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. "Well... that was... different. She saved me. I suspect that being saved by you made her feel she had to prove herself your superior," Spike said, sure of himself.

The two pegasi considered this. "Well, I suppose it isn't the strangest thing we've heard," Blossomforth replied. Raindrops still seemed unsure, but decided to let go of it for now.

"Well it's getting late. I suspect there will be a war council in the morning. We'd best be ready for it," Spike said as he walked past the mares. They all bade their goodbyes and retired for the night.

//////////////////////////

Shining Armor fired a blast of magic, shattering the Windigo as it charged him. Another icy horse snuck up behind him and tackled him to the ground. The Windigo pressed a hand to the alicorn's shoulder blade and Shining could see it turning the same shade of blue his hoof had the previous day.

"Release me you monster!" he snarled at the beast.

The Windigo lowered its head to his so that Shining could see his face. "Who's the real monster here?" it asked, placing it's other hand on the ground on the other side of the alicorn's head, freezing the ground beneath them. Shining Armor looked at the ice beneath himself, but instead of seeing his own reflection, he stared into the cold white eyes of one Windigo pinned down by another.

////////////////////////

Shining Armor woke with a start. His fur covered in a cold sweat, despite the heat of the fire on the other side of the room. The stallion climbed out of bed and walked over to the mirror he used to dress himself for battle. His coat was white and his mane the same two shades of blue he had always remembered. "It was just a dream," he told himself, unable to convince himself that there wasn't more to it.

Shining’s body shivered as his exposed flesh met the warm air. Shining walked closer to the fireplace to warm himself. However the closer he got the smaller the flames got. Once he was standing over the burning wood, the flames had died completely. "What is happening to me?" he asked himself. He stumbled back to his bed and collapsed into the sheets. No matter how much he covered himself he only felt colder as the night grew on. Eventually his exhaustion overtook him and he slept fitfully.

Author's Note:

And here we are again. And great news abound. First Spideremblembrony has agreed to be my co writer on this story and I'm glad I asked him to help. He provided a great amount of detail to this chapter and gave me a lot of suggestions on scenes that could be added. This chapter was almost no more than 2000 words long, but through Spider's suggestions we kept pretty close to my usual quota without a bunch of useless scenes bogging things down. There is a link to His user page in the story summary along with the link to Avenging Hobbits page added. I'd also like a warm seldom to King Candy. He an I are currently discussing characters and plot for the upcoming Captain Equestria story. I'm just looking for so done to help on the next story, Flutterage now. And of course Anoone who helps me with these stories will be asked to help on the finale, The Harmonies. Stay tuned folks.