• ...
6
 119
 2,545

Legends Reborn

Hoity shielded his eyes as the dust storm touched the sand. "Everypony get back!" he ordered as he ducked behind one of the vehicles. The other agents followed his lead. "Fall back! We'll wait for the storm to pass and come back!" Hoity shouted to his team as he opened the door to an SUV.

Then, as suddenly as the storm had appeared it began to dissipate, the roaring winds dying down as the dust settled. Hoity stepped away from the vehicle, confused by the strange weather. Hoity's eyes widened as the dust cleared, revealing what looked like a giant suit of armor standing where the storm had been.

Hoity cautiously stepped out from hiding and looked at the metal behemoth. "You are in possession of unregistered weapons technology. I'm going to have to ask you to step out of the armor and come with me!" Hoity shouted, doubting whoever was inside would comply.

The armor's head turned to the pony and several slats in the helmet slid out of place revealing the interior.

"That wasn't so hard," Hoity told himself, thinking that the pilot was about to exit the armor. His eyes widened as the opening began to glow like fire. "Retreat!" Hoity shouted as he dove out of the way, a blast of energy missing him by inches and blowing up the car that had been behind him.

The armor continued its assault as the agents started shooting at it, unleashing beams of energy that incinerated everything it touched.

////////////////////////

Twilight watched in horror as she and the others witnessed the distant battle. They couldn't see much other than the explosions, but it was instantly clear that Shining Armor hadn't sent any Windigos.

"What is that?" Minuette asked in shock as the citizens of Appleloosa seemed to take notice of the explosions in the desert.

"If I am correct, it is the Destroyer. A powerful weapon. My brother is taking no chances. He intends to leave no survivors," Twilight informed the others.

"Why is your brother so mean?" the pink S.H.I.E.L.D. agent asked, earning a glare from Spike.

"Stay quiet," the dragon told her menacingly, shoving his face into hers.

"No, no. We already played the quiet game, silly. Sweetie Belle won," the mare said with a smile. "Between you and me though, I think she cheated," she whispered loudly to the drake.

Before Spike could overcome his confusion, Twilight approached the agent. "What is your name pink one?" she asked, hoping the erratic mare could help them.

"Agent Pie," the mare said with a salute and a grimace. "But you can call me Pinkie," she continued, her smile returning in a flash.

"And I thought Twilight was crazy," Bolt said, shaking his head at the agent.

"This is Sweetie Belle," Pinkie said ignoring the stallion and gesturing at her companion. Sweetie Belle waved nervously.

Twilight looked Pinkie in the eye for a moment. "Can you get your comrades here? It would help to have as large a force as possible to distract the Destroyer while we evacuate the townsfolk," Twilight explained.

Pinkie thought for a moment. "I'll help however I can, but S.H.I.E.L.D. is stretched thin right now. Lottsa crazy in the world and secret organization's don't get a lot of wiggle room to begin with," Pinkie said, frowning.

"How do we know she speaks the truth?" Raindrops asked, giving Pinkie a suspicious look.

"Does it matter?" Minuette asked. "If she's lying or not, it doesn't look like the cavalry is coming," she explained. Raindrops seemed to think about this for a moment before silently agreeing.

"Lady, if I could drop a flying battleship on that thing I would, but I can't. What I can do is shoot it in the face with exploding arrows," Pinkie told the yellow pegasi, who looked at her in confusion.

"Your assistance will be appreciated," Twilight told her before anyone else could continue the argument. "Agent Pie, Spike, Blossomforth and Raindrops will keep the Destroyer's attention focused on them," Twilight said as she addressed the ponies and dragon around her. "They will buy time for the rest of us to evacuate the towns ponies," she finished.

"You aren't fighting with us?" Raindrops asked, suspiciously.

Spike glared at the mare as Twilight turned to her. "In my mortal form, I would only serve as a detriment in combat. If I fought, I'd only get one of you killed and that is something I could not live with," she told Raindrops. Raindrops seemed surprised by the answer, but smiled and nodded her head in agreement.

"Anypony else got something to say?" Pinkie asked the group. "Once this gets started there won't be anytime for chit chat."

"Yes actually," Sweetie Belle said, approaching Pinkie. "We aren't heroes, we're agents. We'll get in trouble if we get involved with this," she told her mentor, unsure how to feel about the situation.

Pinkie smiled before replying. "There's a lot more at stake here than our jobs. If we don't help and every pony in this town dies, than we have to live wondering what we could have done," she told the younger mare. "Or we help now, take the chance and even if we don't make it, we die knowing we did all we could," Pinkie finished.

Sweetie looked at her mentor in wonder. "Sounds good," she replied, smiling. "Any details in this plan?" she asked, looking to Twilight along with the rest of the group.

"We start at the south end of town and move the civilians north. Ask any that have large vehicles for assistance," Twilight said as she started walking into the street. "The combat team should try to get in positions of advantage before the Destroyer arrives."

"Sounds good to me. Let's get started," Bolt said, following Twilight.

Spike was about to follow as the group got moving, but Pinkie stepped in his way. "You left my arrows on the roof. Mind giving me a lift?" she asked with a smile.

"You can't retrieve them yourself?" Spike asked confused.

"I could, but I figure riding a dragon into battle will be more fun," she giggled. Spike couldn't help but smile as he picked the pink pony up.

//////////////////////////////

Shining Armor smiled as Frostmourne and a small force of Windigos landed in the Bifrost. "Welcome, my friends to the dawn of a new peace," he greeted as the icy king approached him.

"It would be wise to be quick All-Father. Cloak us so we may begin," Frostmourne demanded.

Shining frowned at the order. "I'm afraid an earlier encounter has left my magic drained," he explained, gesturing to the frozen owl outside of the dome. "It will take longer for us to reach the my mother, but the end result will be the same," he assured.

King Frostmourne smiled at the imprisoned owl. "The ice is a fitting touch," he commented as he exited the dome. "Let us be on our way then. You two stay here and keep an eye on the owl," the older king ordered two of his soldiers. The Windigos nodded in confirmation, taking up positions in either side of the owl.

Shining Armor smiled as he followed his allies, happy his plan had begun to come together.

////////////////////////////////

Spike stood at the edge of the small town, Raindrops and Blossomforth on his right and Pinkie on his left. The pegasi had drawn their swords and Pinkie had an arrow notched in her bow. The small group watched nervously as the Destroyer approached from the desert. At its current pace it would reach them in minutes

"How are the others doing?" Spike asked Pinkie, hoping that the Twilight and her team cleared enough of the civilians to be safe.

Pinkie put a finger to her ear. "How's it going, Sweetie?" she asked into her earpiece.

’The south end if town is clear. Twilight and Minuette are working in the east and me and Bolt are on the west. Words spreading quickly. The town should be clear in the next half hour," Sweetie Belle replied.

"You might wanna pick up the pace. It's almost here," Pinkie told her partner as she turned to Spike. "We got a defensive strategy?" she asked.

Spike looked at the surrounding buildings and the desert in front of them. "We need to block its path. We could....," Spike said trailing off as he watched the Destroyer change course. "It's going east," he said, confused.

The others looked at the armor confused. "Twilight and Minuette are in the east part of town," Pinkie told the group.

"Its targeting, Twilight," Raindrops said, no doubt in her voice. "We need to head it off," she suggested.

"Right, you two make a dust storm around it," Spike said to the two pegasi who jumped into the air. "Pinkie, keep it busy. Don't let it hit the other two," the dragon told the agent as they followed the pegasi on foot. Pinkie smiled and saluted as she took aim and launched the arrow at the Destroyer. The arrow stuck to it's target's head before exploding.

The Destroyer turned to it's attackers as Blossomforth and Raindrops started circling it creating a dust storm around the armor. The Destroyer began charging an energy blast only for another arrow to explode on its head, sending the beam shooting in a line across the desert and away from the pegasi.

It didn't take long for the dust storm to become an opaque mass of swirling sand, towering high above the Destroyer. Spike stepped forward, smoke billowing from his mouth as he approached the storm. "Retreat!" he shouted as he spewed fire at the airborne sand. Blossomforth and Raindrops abandoned the storm as the inferno arrived.

The group watched in awe as Spike melted the sand. The liquid glass seeped into the Destroyers joints and started to cool as Spike cut off his flames. The Destroyers joints groaned to a stop. Spike smiled at his handy work.

"Well done Spike. This should buy the others enough time," Blossomforth said, happily.

"Uh-oh," Pinkie said, catching the warriors attention. The glass in the Destroyers joints began to crack as more pressure was applied to it. After only a few seconds the obstructions shattered and the Destroyer continued on it's path.

"Damn!" Spike cursed. "Stopping it isn't an option. We're going to have to confront it," he told the others. "If we don't make it through this, I want you all to know it was an honor," the dragon said with a heavy tone.

Blossomforth and Raindrops smiled and nodded. "Don't be so dramatic," Pinkie replied, surprising the others. "I've fought reptiles that were scarier than that thing. So, let's get moving," the agent finished chasing after the Destroyer.

"That mare is strange, even by our standards," Blossomforth said with a confused look. Spike and Raindrops murmered their agreement.

/////////////////////////////

Twilight looked over the crowd of scurrying ponies as they all tried to pile onto vehicles, shouting in fear as they were told by Minuette which direction to drive. A cry for help caught her attention and Twilight spotted a young colt not far away. She rushed to the foal's side and picked him up.

"Where are your parents, little one?" she asked, trying to keep her tone calm. The explosions of the nearing battle didn't help.

"I dunno," the colt said sadly as he looked around. "Over there!" he shouted after a moment, jabbing his finger at a mare down the street. The mare was dodging through the crowd a look of panic on her face. Twilight cursed as she noticed the mare was moving towards the fight.

Twilight spotted Minuette not far away and trotted over to her. "Look after him!" she shouted as she ran to stop the mare. She quickly caught up and stood in the mare's path. "Your son is safe. He's with my friend over there," she told the frantic mother, pointing at Minuette and the colt. The mare turned and saw the pair, smiling in relief.

"Oh thank Celestia! Thank you so much," the mare gasped as she ran to her child.

They started to head back when a loud crash sounded behind Twilight. Twilight turned and saw Blossomforth picking herself off of a car she'd just landed on. Before Twilight could react the Destroyer came into sight and its opening began to glow. Twilight looked around and spotted a large rock on the ground. She picked up the rock and threw it at the Destroyer as hard as she could, creating a dinging sound when it hit.

The Destroyer and Blossomforth turned towards Twilight and the armor's opening began to glow again.

"Twilight! Run!" Blossomforth shouted as an arrow hit the side of the Destroyer. The arrow exploded, throwing off the armor's aim, but the beam hit the ground next to Twilight and the explosion threw her off her feet. She felt herself go numb as she hit the side of a building, falling to the ground with a dull thud. The world around her became a blur of color and the angry shouts of her friends sounded distant.

////////////////////////////////

Minuette watched in horror as Twilight's body hit the ground like a rag doll. "Twilight!" she shouted as Spike and his team appeared on a rooftop down the street. The rest of the towns ponies quickly vacated the area, some even running on foot just to get away.

"Raindrops, get Minuette out of here!" Spike shouted.

Raindrops swooped down and tried to push the frantic unicorn away from the fight, but Minuette resisted. "There's nothing you can do! Now, go!" the pegasi shouted as the Destroyer turned to them, it's opening glowing.

"Look out!" Pinkie shouted, shooting an arrow that exploded on the behemoth's head, throwing its aim off. The beam of energy cut off the top corner of the building next to Raindrops and Minuette. Raindrops pushed Minuette harder, clearing the unicorn of the debris, but getting her own wing trapped under a chunk of the roof while a brick smashed into the back of her head, disorienting her.

"Oh crap, don't move," Minuette told the pegasus as she tried to shift the stone holding her wing down. A shadow loomed over the pair and Minuette looked up in horror at the Destroyer.

///////////////////////////

Twilight's vision swam for a second as she tried to think past the pain. Her head rolled to the side to see the Destroyer standing over Minuette and Raindrops. No, she thought, feeling a familiar desire to protect her friends.

//////////////////////////////

At the S.H.I.E.L.D. base to the west, a stallion watched his monitor as the same strange energy from the night before fluctuated around the hammer. "Hey I got something here," he said turning to his superior. A loud booming sound startled every agent in the room and the stallion looked back to his screen in shock. The hammer was gone.

///////////////////////////////////

Minuette looked at the Destroyer in shock, before she remembered Raindrops. The unicorn started pushing on the debris as hard as she could, but couldn't move it.

"I'm out of arrows! Run!" Pinkie shouted at the unicorn. Minuette looked at the Destroyer as it charged another beam.

Just as it was about to fire a whistling sound from above caught everyone's attention as an object fell from the sky directly above Twilight. Right before it landed a purple hand shot up and caught the the hammer followed by a brilliant flash of lightning and a deafening crack of thunder.

The Destroyer turned away from Minuette only for a bright projectile to shoot out of the Lightning and take it off its feet. Minuette watched in shock as the Destroyer flew over her head and landed on its back further up the street. Before anyone could move a pony landed in front of Minuette. The unicorn's jaw dropped as she looked the pony over.

Twilight stood in full armor, wings spread on either side of her body. A horn glowed on her head and her cape billowed in a wind that was quickly growing stronger. Mjolnir flew back to her hand, electricity crackling along its surface as the sky darkened. "Do not attempt to hurt my friends," the alicorn princess said, in low dark tone.

After several moments of silence Minuette found her voice. "Holy mother of Celestia," she whispered.

"Daughter actually," Raindrops said, rubbing her head and shaking off the pain.

///////////////////////////

Twilight watched the Destroyer as it struggled to right itself.

"Well, that was shocking," a bubbly voice joked. Twilight turned to see Spike, Blossomforth and Pinkie arriving. Raindrops, no longer dazed, shoved the debris off of her wing and flexed the sore appendage. Minuette was the only one not moving at all.

"Are the two of you all right?" Twilight asked Raindrops and Minuette.

Raindrops shrugged. "I've been through worse," she replied, before smiling at Twilight. "This will be a good story back home," she finished, earning a smile from the princess.

Minuette seemed to shake off her shock as she responded. "Uh... I'll be fine... I think. Not really sure how I'm supposed to react to any of this, but I'll try to hold back an emotional breakdown until after all this," she explained with a nervous smile.

"I'm enjoying the touching moment, but that thing’s getting back up," Pinkie said, nervously as the Destroyer finally rolled off of its back.

"Everyone stand back. I'm not sure if even I am powerful enough to defeat the Destroyer, but I'll have to try," Twilight stated, readying herself for the coming fight.

Spike placed a hand on his friends shoulder. "It took four of us to slow it down and even then we were hardly effective," the dragon said. "I'm sorry Twilight, but I know you can't win, even with all your power restored," he finished.

Twilight knew her friend was right. "Then what would you have me do? There is no other choice," she replied.

"I can't believe that," Minuette argued. "You have a magic hammer and a rainbow bridge that can send you to any one of nine worlds. Don't tell me there's nothing we can do," the unicorn said defiantly.

Twilight was about to reply when an idea came to her. "The Bifrost," she said. "We don't need to kill it. We just need it gone," she stated. The warriors smiled in understanding while Pinkie tilted her head in confusion.

"I think I'm starting to see my superiors' problem with me. I have no clue what's going on right now," the pink made said, baffled.

Twilight turned back to the Destroyer as it stood up. "Spike, Blossomforth, Raindrops, get to the Bifrost sight and tell Owlowiscious to be ready. He should already know our plan," the princess told her comrades. The pegasi nodded, grabbing Spike's hands and leaping into the air. "Minuette, Pinkie, I need you to meet up with Steam Bolt and Sweetie Belle. Help them with the evacuation," she said.

"Roger dodger," Pinkie replied.

"What are you going to do?" Minuette asked, concerned.

Twilight watched as the Destroyer turned to them, it's opening glowing as it prepared to attack. "It is after me," she stated as she started swinging Miolnir. "Then it shall have me." Twilight threw her weapon, hitting the behemoth in the head and throwing off its aim. The beam cut through a building causing it to collapse as the hammer flew back to Twilight's hand. "Now go," Twilight told her friend.

"I think she'll be fine. Come on," Pinkie said, dragging a once more surprised Minuette away from the fight.

The Destroyer righted itself once more just as Minuette and Pinkie rounded the street corner. The alicorn stared at the Destroyer as it charged another beam. "There will be no holding back any longer," Twilight told it as she raised her hammer over her head, a bolt of lightning connecting it to the sky.

///////////////////////////////

Spike and the two pegasi arrived at the Bifrost site, shocked at the destroyed vehicles they found. The three approached the circle only for a stallion in a suit to get in their way.

"I'm Agent Toity of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to leave. This area is restricted," the stallion told them, not seeming the least bit surprised at the sight if Spike.

Spike leaned down until he was eye level with the pony. "Even if you hadn't already met the Destroyer, you still wouldn't have the means to stop me," Spike growled angrily. He was in no mood play games with this mortal.

Hoity gulped as smoke trailed from the dragon's mouth. "What business do you have here?" the stallion asked, as though trying to maintain control of the situation.

Spike walked past the stallion with Blossomforth and Raindrops in tow. "We intend to save your planet," he replied, confusing the agent.

"Are we sure Owlowiscious knows our plan?" Raindrops asked, uncertainly.

Spike thought for a moment. "He should, but it would be good to have a sign," he said as he cupped his claws around his mouth. "Owlowiscious, show us if you're listening send us a sign!" the dragon called out. Several minutes went by and nothing happened.

"That's not good," Raindrops said, staring at the sky, devoid of any other worldly disturbance.

A crack of thunder caught everyone's attention and they all looked back at the town where Twilight was luring the Destroyer to them. Bright lights flashed and lightning struck from the dark skies.

"Owlowiscious!" Spike called again. "We need your help! Owlowiscious!"

//////////////////////////////

Owlowiscious!

The Guardian heard the cry of his ally and he began struggling once more. He had given up the task, deciding it would be better to save his strength for when he was needed. Now he was needed.

The owl started flexing his talons against the ice, weakening it slowly. At the same time, Owlowiscious pushed his head forward as hard as he could, trying to force his beak through the ice in front of him. It didn't take long for a small crack to form in his prison, extending from the tip of his beak and down the right side if his head. The guardian pushed harder and the crack began to grow. The owl put more force into his efforts and finally the crack jolted through his prison and the owl broke through, surprising the Windigo guards.

Owlowiscious landed on his front, his wings too heavy with frost to be of use. The sound of feet pounding on the bridge brought him back to the moment and he flipped himself over just in time to catch the blade of the first Windigo in his talons. The owl pushed the blade to the side and into the other invader. With the two connected, Owlowiscious pushed them with all his might and sent the pair tumbling into the dark abyss below the bridge.

With that done, the owl struggled to his feet and began walking back to the Bifrost, his wings still in no shape to carry him there.

//////////////////////////

Twilight flew slowly down the streets of Appleoosa, being sure not to lose the Destroyer. She wanted to keep it in sight so she could minimize what damage it did. Whenever it began to charge an attack, she would fly higher and dodge the attack so it would shoot harmlessly into the sky.

Twilight checked the distance between her current position and the Bifrost sight. "At this rate it will take a day," she complained as she noted they were only now reaching the edge of the town. "I'm sorry, but I must hurry this along," she said turning back to the Destroyer and raising Mjolnir over her head. Twilight swung the hammer in a wide circle creating a vortex of wind that quickly turned into a miniature tornado. She directed the funnel cloud over the Destroyer and spun the hammer faster. Before long the wind became strong enough and the metal behemoth slowly rose from the ground.

With her package in tow Twilight began steering the tornado out of town. She had only made it half a mile before the Destroyer charged another shot. Twilight, deciding she was far enough from the town, let the tornado die away and dropped her opponent on the ground.

The Destroyer landed on its feet and fired it's shot. Twilight quickly threw her hammer into the beam, deflecting the destructive blast all around her, before connecting with the Destroyer and knocking it off of it's feet again.

"With the town no longer in danger, I no longer need to hold back," Twilight said as she caught Mjolnir. Without waiting for the Destroyer to stand, she threw her weapon again hammering the Destroyer several hundred more feet into the desert.

Twilight caught Mjolnir again and started swinging it again. Lightning danced along it's surface and when Twilight threw it again she caught hold of the leather strap, the force of her throw carrying her along for the ride. Twilight waited until she hit the Destroyer and then started flapping her wings with force, doing everything in her power to reach the Bifrost site quickly. Her horn began to glow and gale force winds pushed her and the Destroyer forward.

The Destroyer began charging another beam and Twilight peered around its side and noticed they were almost on top of their destination. "In coming!" Twilight shouted as she slowed herself down and separated from the Destroyer. The walking weapon flew over the heads of the surprised agents and the three warriors, landing with a thud in the sand several yards past the glyphs Twilight had been aiming for.

The Alicorn landed in the center of the circle and turned to her friends. "Are we ready?" she asked Spike as the dragon approached.

Spike shook his head. "We don't know. We tried to contact Owlowiscious, but he hasn't responded. We may need a new plan," the drake said as Hoity joined them.

"Ms. Sparkle," the stallion called, catching the mare's attention. "I don't think your sister was entirely honest with me last night," he said, interested in learning the truth.

Twilight glared at the stallion. "You have no need to fear me. I seek only to protect this world as you do. Now stand back, so I may do just that," Twilight told the agent before turning back to the Destroyer.

"We can't rely on Owlowiscious now," Raindrops stated, concerned.

Twilight smirked. "He will come through. First, we must put his target in his sights," she said as she watched the behemoth pick itself up once more. The alicorn turned to Hoity. "You and your comrades should take cover," she advised.

"Right, all agents fall back," Hoity shouted to his subordinates. The agents made a hasty retreat as Twilight swung her hammer in a circle again.

Dark clouds formed over head as Twilight summoned a storm. Lightning flashed from the sky and rain poured from above, turning the sandy desert to mud. Twilight took to the air and flew around the Destroyer as it fired a beam at her. Twilight waited until she was on the other side of the Destroyer before attacking. She threw her hammer once more knocking the behemoth towards the circle of glyphs. She pushed her adversary until it landed in the circle.

Once there, Twilight called Mjolnir back to her, raising the hammer as it connected with her hand. Lightning shot down from above, connecting with the top of the hammer. Mjolnir began to glow a bright blue color as it was charged with electricity. When she felt she had enough, Twilight severed the connection and pointed her weapon at the Destroyer as it stood. She unleashed a blast of electricity at the Destroyer, holding it down as long as she could.

After several minutes, Mjolnir ran out of power and the Destroyer stood once again. Just as it began to charge an attack, the sky lit up with color as the familiar vortex of the Bifrost encircled the Destroyer and just as quick vanished along with the walking weapon.

"Thank you my friend," Twilight said, breathing a sigh of relief.

//////////////////////////

Owlowiscious watched the Destroyer land in the dome of the Bifrost. "If you had a soul, I would consider your fate unfortunate," the owl said as he redirected the Bifrost to a new point in space. The Destroyer's opening began to light up, but Owlowiscious had already activated the portal and the Destroyer was launched through space.

"You may destroy everything safely in the barren wastes of Svartalfheim," Owlowiscious said as he watched the Destroyer land on the empty world.

Author's Note:

Really running up on the end here quickly. I actually have something to say about thus chapter though. That might be a first. Not sure.

Anyways, when I first saw Thor I was a bit weirded out seeing Thor actually kill the Destroyer. To my knowledge Thor couldn't have done that so early in his career. He wasn't that powerful at the time. I also had a problem with the Asgardians leaving the remains of an extremely powerful weapon on earth and within SHIELD's reach. I figured that all needed to be rectified. So it was. Well that's all really.

Stay Tuned.