• ...
6
 119
 2,545

Unworthy

Twilight sat in a room made of white walls, adorned only with a barren table and chairs on either side all made of polished steel. She had been brought here after her failed attempt to lift Mjolnir. Why didnt it work? she asked herself over and over again, unable to comprehend what had happened. She then recalled Steam Bolt's words from earlier.

What if you aren't worthy?” he had asked.

"He is smarter than he seems," she told herself, a sad sigh escaping her. She had been so sure that this would be her way home. That all she had to do was lift her hammer, something she had done countless times before. What had changed? Twilight knew how to use the hammer. It has been my tool for so long, she thought, an idea slowly dawning on her.

A tool. An object one manipulates to accomplish a task. This is what Mjolnir had been to her. More than that, it had been what Raindrops and Blossomforth had been to her. They were her subjects and loyal comrades and she had used them to try and prove herself worthy of the throne. She had even used Minuette to a certain extent. Twilight had known the unicorn could get in trouble for aiding her and had used her desire for knowledge against her.

Mjolnir can only be held by a worthy ruler, she thought. "I am not worthy," she said out loud a tear falling from her eye.

Just then the door to the room opened and a stallion in an official looking suit walked in.

"I'm Agent Toity," he greeted. "How are you feeling?" he asked, in a cultured accent. His voice reminded Twilight of several nobles from her home. Even that made her ache to return home.

Twilight did not answer the question, instead she opted to simply stare at the floor in silence.

"Not feeling chatty?" the stallion asked. "That's fine I can do the talking," he continued. "You see, you broke into a secure facility, which normally wouldn't be all that strange. After all nopony notices when an unsecure facility is robbed. However, you attacked a facility that is currently being guarded by some of the most highly trained security in the world. Yet you made fools of them all," Hoity said, sounding mockingly impressed. "We barely even stopped you from reaching your goal. I suppose my only real question is where does one receive that sort of training?" he asked, ending his rant.

Twilight once again remained silent. Not that answering would have done much good. Agent Hoity would never believe that she had spent nearly two millennia training under the best tacticians and combat specialists in the nine realms. It had taken physical evidence just to convince Minuette that she was who she said she was. Steam Bolt still didn't seem entirely convinced.

Hoity sighed in annoyance when he still didn't get a response. "Well if you aren't going to talk, that's fine. We have every right to keep you here as long as we please," he announced as he made his way to the door. "Anytime you're ready to talk, just let the guard outside the room know and I'll be back," he said as he left shutting the door behind himself.

///////////////////////////////////

Minuette looked at the sky again, noting that the storm from earlier had dissipated. She glanced at the clock on the console of the van and noticed that it had been nearly three hours since Twilight had broken into that compound.

"She should have been back by now," she said, her worry growing every minute.

"She shouldn't have gone in the first place," Bolt countered from the driver's seat. "Come to think of it, we shouldn't have brought her here. That's like aiding a fugitive," he said, starting to panic at the thought of being locked up.

"Not helping," Minuette said angrily. "Oh geeze, what if she got caught?" Minuette asked as another thought occurred. "She doesn't even have an I.D. or anything. She doesn't exist to Equestria," she said as she started digging through the equipment in the back of the van.

"What are you doing?" Bolt asked, both curious and suspicious.

"We brought her here. She's kind of our responsibility, so we're gonna help her out," Minuette said as she pulled out a large black bag and opened it.

"Our responsibility?" Bolt asked in disbelief. "Pretty sure I said this was a bad idea from the get go," he argued, as Minuette pulled a laptop from the bag and turned it on.

"And yet you still drove the van," she countered, shoving the laptop into his grasp. "You said you were majoring in computer science right?" she asked earning a nod from her assistant. "Good. Now make yourself useful and make Twilight a fake identity," she told him as she started to exit the vehicle.

Bolt's eyes widened at the demand. "Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea how long I'd be in jail for fraud?" he asked, slightly shell shocked.

"Not much longer than aiding in a felony," Minuette countered as she started trotting back towards the facility.

Bolt was about to shout after her, but knew it was useless. "Yeah, I bet my parents would be so proud of me," he told himself sarcastically as he started working on the computer. "Whatever. Not like things could get worse," he commented.

////////////////////////////////////////////

Hoity Toity walked through the compound thoroughly annoyed by the nights events. The intruder had been annoyingly silent, almost as if she was ignoring him. Hoity hated to be ignored. He hadn't gotten to being in the Director's inner circle by being ignored.

"Hoity!" a familiar voice shouted. Hoity turned to see Pinkie marching towards him. Hoity groaned in frustration as the angry mare got closer. "How come I'm not allowed to talk to the intruder?" she asked annoyed.

Hoity rolled his eyes. "Because you haven't the slightest idea how to handle an interrogation properly," he answered, smiling as Pinkie's expression grew angrier.

"Oh and you do? Unless you're a telepath and forgot to tell anypony I'm pretty sure you didn't get any answers out of her," Pinkie shot back.

Hoity was about to reply when a guard approached them and saluted. "Sir, there's somepony here. Says the intruder is her sister," he informed.

Hoity nodded to the guard. "Aren't you supposed to be monitoring the weather or something. Why don't you get back to your own task and leave the important work to the adults," Hoity said as he walked away, leaving Pinkie seething in his wake.

//////////////////////////////////////

Twilight sat quietly in the room, as inactive as she had been before Hoity had attempted to interrogate her. She had nothing to do now except hope that she had not gotten Minuette and Steam Bolt in trouble as well.

She had quickly grown ignorant of her surroundings and therefore was startled when she heard a heavy sigh behind her. Twilight turned in her seat and her eyes widened.

"Should I even ask how you got yourself into this mess?" Shining Armor asked, smiling softly as he moved in front of Twilight, taking a seat on the opposite side of the table, wearing his formal robes.

"Shining, what are you doing here?" Twilight asked confused. Then a thought struck her. "Has mother sent you to get me?" she asked hopefully, a smile spreading across her face.

Shining's smile faded at the question. "I'm afraid not. I have only come to tell you the bad news," he said solemnly hanging his head.

Twilight looked at her brother with concern. "What bad news? Has something happened at home?" she asked, her worry growing.

Shining Armor looked his sister in the eye. "Mother has passed on from this life," he said sadly. Twilight was speechless, her mouth hanging open in shock as her eyes began to get misty. "The stress of the war preparations was too much for her. She waited too long to enter the Solar Sleep and she paid the price for it," he explained, to Twilight's dismay.

Twilight sat in stunned silence, struggling to accept what she was being told. "It's my fault," she said, her voice hollow with guilt.

Shining Armor seemed shocked. "No Twilight. None of us saw the signs. We all should have been more prepared," he said, reassuringly.

Twilight shook her head. "If I had done as she told me, if I had left the Windigos to themselves we would have had more time," she argued, tears beginning to form in her eyes. "Who is to succeed her?" Twilight asked, looking away from her brother.

Shining Armor stood up and looked away from his sister. "I was chosen," he said plainly, turning to face Twilight.

Twilight nodded her head as she wiped the tears from her eyes. "Good. You'll make a better ruler than myself," she said.

Shining Armor smiled at his sister's praise. "I apologize, but I have to go now, before I'm missed," he said, receiving only a nod from his sister. "Goodbye Twilight and good luck," he said as he began to vanish, a cloaking spell Twilight guessed.

"Goodbye brother," she said, hanging her head in shame.

//////////////////////////

Hoity Toity sat at the desk in his office in the back of the command center. He had been going over a computer file, trying to find an identity for the intruder in the SHIELD database when a blue unicorn mare was escorted in by an armed guard.

"Ah, you must be the sister I was told about," he said, holding out a hoof to the mare and smiling. "I'm Agent Toity. Please have a seat," he said gesturing to the only other chair in the room.

"Thank you for seeing me, Agent Hoity. I'm Minuette, Twilight's sister," the unicorn said as she sat down.

Hoity raised an eyebrow. "Twilight? I take it that's the mare we have in custody?" he asked as he started searching the name on his computer.

Minuette smiled. "Yes. I apologize if she's been a problem. She's kind of an amateur astronomer and she was upset when she heard she'd missed out on all the fun earlier today. I guess she decided that wouldn't stop her though," she explained smiling.

Hoity looked at his computer as a file came up. "It says here she's a student currently," he commented as a warning flashed over the file he was looking at, telling him the information was falsified.

Minuette seemed lost for words for a moment. "Oh right... uh... She's attending Dodger City University I think," Minuette replied, visibly gulping.

Hoity knew she was lying, but he wanted to know why this mare was trying to protect Twilight. "Can you explain how she was able to best all of my guards?" he asked looking away from the computer, seeing nothing else of use there.

"She's into mixed martial arts," Minuette said as she started to sweat, wiping a hoof across her forehead.

Hoity glanced back at the screen for a second and smiled. "Well, everything seems to check out. You can go collect your sister if you'd like, just be sure to keep her out of trouble," Hoity said, earning a grin from the unicorn.

"Oh thank you so much Agent. I promise she won't be bothering you anymore," Minuette said as she stood up.

"Not a problem. The guard outside will show you the way," he told her as the guard entered the room. "Send for Agents Pie and Belle," he ordered, earning a nod from the guard who escorted Minuette out of the room, Leaving Hoity by himself, smiling. "Pie wants to be more involved? Not a problem," he told himself.

///////////////////////

Shining Armor watched as the Scientists scurried about the room trying to understand more about the hammer that sat in the middle still encased in stone. He shook his head in annoyance that he had to keep himself magically concealed for his second task on Midgard.

"Let's see if you truly do answer only to a ruler of Equinsgard," he said,placing a hoof on the handle and pulling as hard as he could. Mjolnir didn't budge. Shining placed both of his forehooves on the weapon and pulled harder, but to no avail. "Well, that answers that," he said releasing his grip. "I always had my doubts, but now I know it really is nothing more than hammer," he told himself as he vanished once more, this time teleporting himself far from the facility.

////////////////////////////

Twilight hadn't moved since her brother had departed and she suspected that another interrogator would be sent to try and glean something from her, so she wasn't surprised when the door opened. She was surprised by the voice that greeted her.

"I never should have left you alone," Minuette said as she entered the room and approached Twilight.

Twilight was confused, but didn't argue as Minuette helped her up. "You've been drinking again haven't you," the unicorn continued, further confusing Twilight. "Don't worry, we'll have you home and in bed in no time," Minuette continued before Twilight could respond.

On their way out of the door Twilight spotted the Pink mare she had fought earlier that night watching them as they left.

"Why did you return for me?" Twilight asked, turning to Minuette.

Minuette looked around before she answered, making sure nopony was listening. "I shouldn't have let you come in the first place. I guess I felt responsible for putting you in danger just so I could learn something new," she whispered.

Twilight was speechless. "Thank you," she said as she was lead out of the compound. Perhaps a life on Midgard won't be so bad after all, Twilight thought as she was lead to the exit, a small smile playing on her lips.

Author's Note:

And here we are. This was actually ready to go up earlier today and I completely spaced. My bad.

Next chapter, Shining Armor put's his plan into action

Stay Tuned.