• ...
6
 119
 2,547

Heritage

Shining Armor awoke, feeling as rested as an insomniac. His dreams had been plagued with further nightmares. His journey to Jotunhiem had stained his mind with them. The dream would take him into the dark and cold abyss with nothing to surround him but shadow. Then from the dark would come the shape of the Windigo. Hundreds of the beasts would soar from the shadows engulfing him in their chilling touch. He screamed in pain as his body turned cold and still. He cried out as his face was encrusted in ice.

They were enough to still his breath and shake his heart. He crawled out of his bed and inspected himself in the mirror in the corner of his room. He couldn't spot anything different about himself, but he knew he didn't feel the same as he did before. He recalled the moment the Windigo had touched him on Jotunhiem, how his fur had changed from snowy white to pale blue.

Somepony knocking on the door startled Shining out of his wondering. "Enter," he said, magnifying his voice with magic.

The door swung open, revealing Cadence. The pink mare stepped into the room and smiled at the prince. "Good morning Prince Shining. Your Aunt Luna has sent me to retrieve you," Cadence said smiling as she stepped further into the room, her eyes wandering over the ornate walls, decorated in trophies of Shining's victories. “Something I was … most honored… to do.” She blushed, keeping her eyes away from him. Shining realized he only had pants on and quickly retrieved a shirt from his wardrobe.

"What for?" Shining asked simply as he put the shirt on, still somewhat distracted by his earlier train of thought. He kept his mind on the dreams and how they tormented him. He was not afraid of those creatures. Yet, still they insisted on driving him mad. He rubbed his head, cursing himself for not conjuring an answer.

Cadence returned her attention to him. "She and your mother have begun talking with the generals. They are making war preparations and Mistress Luna wishes for you to be present," Cadence explained.

Shining looked back to the mirror before speaking. "I see," he said, trying to think of an excuse not to go. He gave a smile and scoffed at his situation. All he wanted to do was lie in bed and forget about the Windigos. Yet, everywhere he turned it seemed that they continued to haunt him, leaving him without peace.

Cadence noted his distracted expression. "If I may be so bold?" she requested looking for permission to continue. Shining nodded. "The previous day’s events still seem to be weighing heavily on your mind. It would be wise to rest for today instead of aggravating your mental state," Cadence suggested, stepping closer to Shining Armor and attempting to look him in the eye.

The stallion turned towards Cadence, inspecting her worried expression. "Your wisdom is appreciated, dear princess.” He stepped towards her and placed his hand on her face. Cadence took a deep breath as his hand gently warmed her. She placed her hand over his. “If you would be so kind as to inform my Aunt I will be absent from today's proceedings," Shining said as he lit up his horn and his closet opened, a white tunic with blue trim flowing out surrounded by his magic aura. "There is a matter I must attend." Shining took a step away.

Cadence nodded as Shining's clothes swirled around his body, soon after leaving him appearing every bit the prince the ponies of Equinsgard saw him as. Cadence gave a smile, desperately trying to hide her embarrassment. She left the room soon after, Shining's eyes following her out. He smiled as he left his room following her. The pink princess entranced his mind with thoughts that he could only imagine. It was as if he had been enchanted. Like she had placed some spell upon him that made her irresistible. If it was a spell, he did not wished to be freed from it.

Once outside his room, he glanced around noticing the absence of a pink alicorn. Instead, his eyes came to rest on a purple dragon in full armor that stood about a head taller than himself, leaning against a wall a few yards away and grinning.

"Well, well Shining, not even royalty is safe from your bedroom it seems," Spike said chuckling at the implications.

Shining blushed at this. "She was only delivering a message, Spike," the Prince explained.

"Oh of course. And I assume the message was well received," Spike replied, nudging his friend.

Shining rolled his eyes at the innuendo. "Did you need me for something or were just planning following me around all day, making suggestive jokes?" the alicorn said, trying to ignore his own blush.

Spike smiled. "I was invited to the war council. I thought we could walk together," Spike suggested.

Shining frowned at this. He made a quick bow and started down the hall ahead of Spike. "I won't be joining you I'm afraid," he said, earning a quizzical look from the dragon.

"Why not?" Spike asked with concern.

Shining sighed in frustration. "I'm just not feeling up to it today," he explained.

Spike took notice of the alicorn's annoyed expression and shrugged. "I'll see you later then," he said as he turned around and started walking down the hall. Shining nodded as he started in the opposite direction.

Now to learn who I truly am, he thought to himself, almost afraid if what he might discover.

/////////////////////////////

Celestia listened intently as General Sky Strike outlined a defensive plan to keep the Windigos from making a second invasion undetected.

"It is of utmost importance that we keep all ballistaes loaded and ready at all times. Otherwise we're simply asking for another invasion," the smoky grey pegasus explained.

Luna looked over the map of the city, Sky Strike's points of interest glowing a bright gold. "And what of our troop placements in allied realms?" Luna asked turning to an old earth pony with a greying navy coat.

"I advise we concentrate forces in Vanaheim. Without the Bifrost, the Windigos will be forced to use the pathways between worlds to reach us. Vanaheim will be the most direct route," the field commander spoke.

Celestia listened intently as she turned her attention to others in the room. She quickly noticed Spike near the front of the crowd, smoke seeping from between his lips. "Is there something you wish to add Spike?" the alicorn asked, earning Spike the attention of the other occupants of the room.

Spike looked around a little surprised. "I believe Nidavellir will be a more likely target, All-Mother," the dragon said, bowing his head.

Sky Strike scoffed at the suggestion. "He only wishes to see his own home protected. He would see our home sacked to protect his!" the general accused.

Before anypony in the room could react Spike had leaped over the table and pinned the general to the ground. The guards in the room immediately pointed spears and swords at the dragon. "Enough!" Celestia shouted, slamming Gungnir on the ground. All eyes turned to the queen. "Spike please release the General," Celestia requested, once things had calmed.

Spike glared at the general before letting him up. "Equinsgard is my home," he said to the general, before turning to the rest of the council. "Nidavellir supplies us with the ammunition and weapons we would need to stave off an attack. If the Windigos were able to conquer the dragons, we would not be able to keep the ballistaes loaded for long," Spike explained. Sky Strike looked stunned.

Sky Strike stepped forward. “And you really think that dragons are in danger against the Windigos?!” He looked up to the giant beast. “Dragons are a powerful and strong race and they would decimate the Windigos!” He then turned to Celestia. “Why can’t we ask the dragons for aid.”

"Because even if we did, the dragons would not aid us.” Luna interjected. She rose up from the chair and glanced at the general. “The dragons are a mighty race yes, but that is where their skills in combat end. They would surely lose to the more tactical fighting style of the Windigos.” She then gazed toward Spike. “Young Spike makes a fair point General, If we lose Nidavellir, the Windigos could have access to the dragon’s greatest armory. Weapons forged since before time existed." Luna turned to Sky Strike. "How long would it take us to send support to Nidavellir?" the lunar alicorn asked.

Sky Strike glared at Spike before answering. "I can have troops deployed and ready within two days," he said.

"Very well. Begin-” Luna took note of her sister’s expression. She looked down at the ground as if something was there that could not be seen. “Celestia? Are you alright, sister?" Luna asked looking at her sister.

Celestia had gotten a familiar feeling in the back of her mind and she had an unsettled look on her face. "There is an intruder in the vault," she said, a light engulfing her for a few seconds. Once the light dissipated, Celestia was gone.

"We must send guards right away," Sky Strike said as he turned to the few in the room.

"That will not be necessary, General," Luna said. "My sister has protected this realm from the darkest evils the universe holds," Luna explained, only receiving an unsatisfied look from the general. Luna sighed. "Very well. You two," she said to a pair if guards who immediately stood straighter. "Head to the weapons vault and provide the All-Mother with support if she requires it."

The two guards left quickly and Luna turned back to the table. "Now Commander Stone Hoof, begin sending troops to Nidavellir right away," she told the earth pony who nodded before departing. "General, have your men move the ammo reserves from the armory to the ballistaes," she ordered as the General followed his colleague's example.

Luna then turned to Spike. "I would like you and your comrades to help Owlowiscious search this realm for any secret passages to the other realms. It is vital we learn where the Windigos entered from the first time," Luna spoke with authority.

"Yes your highness," Spike said, saluting before he departed as well.

Once she was alone Luna sighed, turning back to the map of her home. "I will not allow another evil to plague this realm," she told herself with confidence. She looked up at the moon above through the skylight making her silent vow.

///////////////////////////

Shining Armor quickly found himself at the weapons vault. He walked through the short hallway, his eyes on the small box, sitting on a pedestal at the end. Once he had reached it he placed a hand on the lid and watched in horror as his coat changed once more to pale blue.

"Shining Armor!" a voice behind the stallion shouted. He knew his mother meant to sound angry, but he could hear the concern in her voice.

"Am I cursed?" he asked, his voice emotionless trying to process what he had learned.

"No," Celestia answered. "You are my son," she continued, praying he would not ask anything else.

Shining Armor turned around, his eyes, mane and tail glowing pure white and his coat the same pale blue all over. This appearance began to fade as he stepped toward his mother. Shining could see the regret in his mother's eyes as she searched for an answer. "The casket wasn't the only thing you took that day was it?" he asked, growing impatient.

Celestia couldn’t help but look away. She sighed as Shining took a step towards her.

“Tell me the truth!” Shining shouted, his voice echoing through the halls of the armory.

Celestia took a deep breath and forced herself to stand straighter. "You were an … offspring... of Windigo. Those born as small as you were... are left to die in those frozen waste lands," she explained, a tear beginning to form in her eyes. Her voice began to grow weary. The once majestic and prestigious tone in her voice began to fade into a weak whimper.

Shining scoffed at this. "After lying to me all these years, do you expect me to believe you rescued me from my brethren?" he asked, anger seeping into his tone.

Celestia stumbled as her son drew closer. “I … only wanted you… to live a happy life…”

Shining shook his head violently. "Do you expect me to believe I'm not a trophy to shamelessly flaunt in your enemies face?!" he snarled.

Celestia fell into a sitting position, her fatigue starting to show. “My son… You don’t understand… I loved you…”

“Liar!” Shining spat as he watched Celestia sink into the ground. Shining pressed forward, his anger quickly growing. "Now everything makes sense! The reason I couldn't lift that blasted hammer is because you made it so only Twilight could! You couldn't risk having a Windigo on the throne!" he said, now only a few feet from Celestia.

"Shining please," she pleaded, her eyes beginning to droop. She could feel her son's icy hate piercing through her like a frozen dagger, chilling her to the bone. "I meant for you and Twilight to lead Equinsgard and Jotunhiem into an era of peace," she explained as she started fighting to stay awake. “I’m your mother… and I love you…”

"Lies!" Shining shouted, in disbelief. "I was never your son and you were never my mother!" the angry stallion shouted straight into the All-Mother's face.

Celestia, unable to take any more of the hate wafting off of Shining slumped to the cold floor of the vault unconscious.

Shining Armor looked horrified at what he had done. The image that was found before him felt like a knife stabbing into his flesh, straight into his heart. The blade seemed to slither down into the pit of his stomach as he helplessly watched his mother laying on the ground. She didn’t move, or speak. She was so still he couldn’t even tell if she was drawing breath. His breathing became rapid as the events replayed themselves in his mind. His anger, his rage, blinding him to the irreputible damage he had caused her.

"Guards!" he shouted desperately. "Somepony help!" he yelled. Two guards barged through the doors soon after and saw to the queen.

Shining Armor stepped away, not believing what he was seeing. What have I done? he thought to himself.

Author's Note:

Alright next chapter, Twilight finds Mijolnir, Shining Armor finds a path for himself and Pinkie Pie gets in a fight with a sherrif.... maybe. There will be a little fight though, that I promise.

Okay gonna go start on Flutterage now.

Stay tuned.