• Published 5th Oct 2013
  • 892 Views, 106 Comments

A Shy Pegasi's Wing - Dark Tempest



It's a fine night in Ponyville for Fluttershy, and when a new pegasus arrives, she learns more about life and love. However, when the pair are attacked at the Galloping Gala Hearts night, they learn that their lives will be forever intertwined..

  • ...
29
 106
 892

New Stallion in Town

The train ride from the rest-stop to Ponyville was a very long one, and Matrixwing was starting to become restless. I want to find somepony to talk to... to become friends with... but what would I say? What if they laugh at me, or exchange gossip about me behind my back? He thought long and hard about the bad and good possibilities, but mostly Matrixwing thought of the bad ones. As Matrixwing thought, he lay his muzzle down sadly upon the empty booth seat next to him, and gazed out of the window of his empty compartment.

Never in Matrixwing's life had he ever gone to Ponyville, and he did not know what to expect. He was a quiet and slightly shy pegasus whom hailed from Cloudsdale, a major pegasi city, and as a result, didn't know much about the land below the clouds, as he had usually just worked on the weather. He was so used to feeling the wind flow through his mane and the always soft clouds that when he felt the ground for the first time, he was shocked at its overall solidness. The train lurched a bit as it took a turn over the hill and, feeling rather sick, Matrixwing laid back against the backboard of his seat to avoid letting go of his dinner.
Matrixwing was a stallion who, in spite of his quiet nature, felt great care for his friends. He had never once let them -as few as the were- get bullied or teased by anypony else. Matrixwing had great strength, although he had a very average build for such a strong-willed pony, but he would do whatever necessary to protect himself and his friends. He remembered back to when he was a young colt, when he had single-handedly protected one of the bullied fillies against three heavy-built colts at the junior flight camp. He hadn't felt scared then, so why did he feel so afraid now? He pondered this as the train fell into a steady rhythm of going up, then down again as it edged up and around hills.
Matrixwing had some features that were not too special, like his black mane with emerald-green streaks and violet tips, as well as his golden hide. His eyes were fairly large, but not oversized. What was strange about them though, was they were grey, the color of storm clouds, and there were very noticeable lightning bolts in his irises, which color changed depending on mood and strike rate increased or decreased with anger or placidness. Matrixwing's cutie mark was a very curious thing, a cluster of three overlapping thunderclouds with green, blue, and red lightning bolts exiting the bottom of them.
Just when Matrixwing couldn't stand waiting any longer, the train rounded a corner, and there was Ponyville, lights and all, contrasted against the night. Unfortunately, it was still miles away and he had to wait a little longer. Eventually, for what seemed like an eternity, the train stopped at the Ponyville station. "All passengers may unboard! Next stop: Crystal Empire Station!" Matrixwing grabbed his saddlebags and left the train to see a bustling marketplace with ponies getting last-minute orders and closing their shops.
He avoided being seen, for he didn't want any new friends just yet, and trotted quietly down the cobbled streets to a small sweets store called Sugarcube Corner. Maybe I can find a place to sleep, or at least directions to a place where i can stay temporarily. He walked in to see a very happy and very pink pony tending the counter to a couple of customers. As he waited politely for them to finish their orders, he looked around at all the goodies. All sorts of goodies and delicacies could be seen and the sweet smell of brownies, cake, and other treats made Matrixwing's mouth water with temptation, but he tried to ignore it as he waited.
The customers finally left, and the pink mare beckoned Matrixwing over. He stepped up to the counter, and introduced himself, and the pony did the same, identifying herself as 'Pinkie Pie' and launched into an assault of random conversation topics and, when they finally stopped, Matrixwing asked her if she knew of any place he'd be able to stay for a while. "I know of two very good friends who just might be able to help you," Pinkie Pie told him, "their names are Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle. Hey, did you know that Twilight is a princess?" This conversation was a long one, but Matrixwing didn't mind, he was just glad that this was a friendly pony.
Then she asked him why he was in Ponyville. "Oh uh... I'd thought I'd come here to find my fortune, to discover why I'm who I am..."
Eventually, the mare known as Pinkie gave him a map with the directions to each house in turn, as well as a photo of her friends, so that he would find them easier. Matrixwing thanked her and set off at a slower pace, taking to the skies and following the map and directions that were given to him. First, I'll go to Fluttershy's. He did not know why he made the decision to go there first, but he knew that it just felt... right.
Eventually, after about an hour of getting lost he miraculously found the home. The little cottage was beautiful, and Matrixwing finally set down in front of the door. He saw that lights were on inside, and believed that somepony must have been home. Gathering his courage, he raised his hoof to the artistically crafted door... and knocked.

Author's Note:

Here is a link to the map given to Matrixwing by Pinkie Pie. This is NOT my map.
Link: Map of Ponyville