• Published 5th Oct 2013
  • 889 Views, 106 Comments

A Shy Pegasi's Wing - Dark Tempest



It's a fine night in Ponyville for Fluttershy, and when a new pegasus arrives, she learns more about life and love. However, when the pair are attacked at the Galloping Gala Hearts night, they learn that their lives will be forever intertwined..

  • ...
29
 106
 889

Shy Greetings

Fluttershy was tending to one of her sick squirrel friends, Chesty, when there was a knock on the door. At first, she thought it might've been Twilight, or maybe Pinkie Pie, but as she opened the door, she found a pony she had never seen before. Fluttershy's heart leaped to her throat in surprise at this completely new face standing on the other side of the threshold of her door.
"Erm... hi," the stallion spoke quietly as he gazed at the pale yellow pegasus in the doorway," I-I thought I'd come and ask if I could stay here for a bit... I'm new in town and... A pony named Pinkie Pie pointed me in this direction so..." Fluttershy understood the poor stallion and relaxed.
She then queried: "Is it ok if I ask your name?" The stallion stood up a little straighter, feeling a bit more confident, and replied: "My name is Matrixwing. Are you alright? He asked Fluttershy this because her irises had become smaller with fear. "Yes," she replied in a higher pitched voice, then regained control of it and commented politely: "Oh, my... it's just... you are very tall..." Indeed this was true, Matrixwing stood slightly taller than Princess Luna, but a little shorter than Princess Celestia, which was a very rare occurrence. Her cheeks took on a pink hue, and Matrixwing, who upon seeing the color in them, also felt his face grow warm.
Fluttershy then quickly turned away and began talking to... someone. Matrixwing could hear only snippets of conversation, a variety of squeaks and what sounded like tiny thumps on the wooden flooring and Fluttershy's voice. Whoever she was talking to, it was about him, and he waited patiently. After waiting a bit, Fluttershy turned back to Matrixwing and spoke to him quietly, telling him: "If you want to stay for a while, you can... You can even have my bed. I'll sleep on the couch."
Matrixwing was very surprised at the generous offer, but he knew that Fluttershy was the host, and he the guest, and he answered her as such, telling her gently that he would sleep on the couch.
Fluttershy agreed, feeling rather silly, and mentally facehoofing for not actually thinking her reply through, and invited Matrixwing inside.
Matrixwing had a weakness for anything small, cute, and furry, so when he stepped across the threshold, his mouth literally hit the floor. He had never seen so many types of animals in one place before. Even more surprising was how they were all in harmony with one another.
Fluttershy noticed Matrixwing's open-mouthed look and lowered her eyes to the ground, afraid of what he might say. "I-I've never seen so many animals... It's amazing!" Fluttershy gasped and looked up, feeling very relieved that the stallion had not low-rated her. She then looked into his eyes for the first time. He had no pupils, but his stormcloud-colored eyes had little orange bolts of what seemed like electricity (or lightning) striking in random points of where his pupils should have been. Fluttershy wanted to ask if he was blind, but staunched the urge.
"Do you take care of all of them by yourself?" Matrixwing gestured all around the room with a tilt of his head. "Yes," Fluttershy replied, "but it's no trouble, I love them all, as if they were my family." Matrixwing smiled warmly at her when he was told this, and thought hard before he said: "You seem like the kindest and most caring pony I've ever met. Is there anything special going on anytime soon?" He blushed, "I'm curious..." Fluttershy told him about the Hearts and Hooves special opening of the Galloping Gala that was happening in a week, and taking place in Canterlot. "Last time I went," she recalled sadly, "I chased after the animals that lived only there, and wrecked the party..." As she mentioned this memory, her eyes began glistening with tears and lip began quivering.
Matrixwing, who sensed that Fluttershy was about to cry, sat on his hind hooves and held out his forelegs. Fluttershy hesitated for a moment, but made up her mind and hugged him, tears rolling down her cheeks. Matrixwing didn't know how else to calm her down, but he attempted to sooth her with words. "Fluttershy, it's alright, I'm sure we all get a little frustrated now and then, don't worry about a thing..." He said these words gently, and eventually Fluttershy calmed down, and he let go. "I have an idea," Matrixwing talked quietly, "what if I took you to the Gala? I mean, if you want to..."
Fluttershy was both startled and pleasantly surprised indeed. He wants to take me to the Gala? She thought for a bit and she decided to go with him. Without thinking, she said out loud: "A date? Sounds wonderful!" Immediately, her face burned with embarrassment, but Matirixwing felt happy. Fluttershy found that she too, was inwardly sighing with joy: she had finally gotten a date.
"I'm sure it'll be a long day tomorrow, I'm going to bed now, have a good night," Fluttershy yawned. Matrixwing called to her as she was going up her staircase: "Thank you Fluttershy, for your hospitality, I really appreciate it." Fluttershy turned her head towards him to give a shy, but sweet smile in reply, then ascended up to her room.