• Published 14th Sep 2013
  • 1,522 Views, 38 Comments

Magic Fortress - AppleTank



Today, TF Foundries present you with the most powerful persons of Equestria. Nine carefully selected individuals of varying strengths and abilities, brought together just for you. Today, it's time to Meet the Team

  • ...
6
 38
 1,522

9. Meet the Engineer

Meet the Engineer
’Damn it, why do I need to go all the way out back here?,’ I thought as I stumbled over large roots and tall grass. ‘In fact, why is this base located in such a heavily wooded area?’

I sighed, and checked my notebook. ‘Let’s see. The next one is...” As I read, a pink laser dot centered onto my chest. A dot of yellow popped out from behind a tree and daunced around my frozen form, which was wobbling from trying to balance on two hooves.

“Hi there! You’re the interviewer, right?” She danced in place happily. “Usually, I’m the one interviewing somepony, so this is a new experience for me. Why don’t you come over?”

The frozen interviewer frantically pointed her eyeballs at the red light of death on her chest. The yellow hat paused. “Oh, that? Sorry, its a sensor of sorts. It doesn’t actually shoot ponies, it just alerts me. The red laser blinked purple for a moment, then disappeared. The interviewer slowly exhaled, glanced apprehensively at the notes in the notebook, then cautiously stepped forwards.

A couple of feet later I saw the little clearing she had made for herself. There were wires buried into the earth, most of them hooked up to a series of monitors. One of the wires went only a few feet, connected to a strange camera looking device. That must’ve been where the laser came from. It was currently pointed away from the base, slowly scanning left and right. The mare seemed familiar. She had a purple coat and a striped of magenta through her indigo mane. A hard hat was perched over her horn. Large welding goggles covered her eyes. A golden necklace with a magenta gem hung from her neck. I froze again when she turned towards me, her right hoof splitting apart to form an interfacing device with her equipment

“So, what do you want to talk about?”

“Dah, um, yes” the interviewer babbled. “The interview. Yourself. I would like to know about you. what you do here..”

“No problem! My name is Twi-” she paused, as if there was something caught in her throat. “It’s ...Ta ... Wain... Tink...” her eye twitched, and a strand of hair seemed to pop out.

“Twilight?” the interviewer suggested.

“Yes! Sorry about that.”

Oh ‘Lest, this is weird.

She fetched a canteen and drank from it. “Ahem, sorry about that...” She trotted back to where the interviewer was waiting, sitting on a wooden crate. There seemed to be a quite a few of them around.

“As I was saying, my role in this group is called the Engineer. I construct most of my weapons, and sometimes help others modify their own. I help plan most of our assignments, you know, logistics and strategy. I don’t know if Scout told you about it (she probably didn’t) but I helped personally made that shotgun of hers for her.” The pendant flashed red. She ground her teeth a bit. “...that geezer, taking our...” she covered her mouth with both hooves. “Oops. Ah, sorry about that. I ... don’t know where that came from,” she mumbled, nervously looking around. The pendant flickered to yellow for a bit, before reverting back to magenta.

Is that...?

“What were we talking about again?”


The night before the mission...
Twilight stood on a cloud high above the air, looking down at the shadows of the massive building beneath her. Luna floated beside her on silent wings. A small glow appeared on the end of Twilight’s horn. “Ready?” she asked.

A dark cloud of magic manifested itself on the end of Luna’s horn. “Yes, Twi- We mean, Engineer..”

“Alright. Charge me, Medic.” she said.

As Twilight’s horn began to glow, Luna’s cloud enveloped Twilight, slowly cloaking her. Once she was completely covered, she released her supercharged clairvoyance spell. Her awareness briefly flashed through the entire building, causing twitches and clicks from her body. The gem briefly turned blue, but went back to magenta when Twilight collected herself. A holographic map appeared in front of her. “Alright, I got it. Let’s go back.”


“The spells I use most often have specific runes created for them. I can summon a temporary golem to set the runes on, or sometimes on the floor itself, to release the spell.”


Bullets and other projectiles flew through the air as Firefly and Sombra jointly assaulted a small corner. Their sudden rush allowed to quickly repel the defenders, but both knew that in their current position, they could easily be overrun. Despite this knowledge, they had to stick to the plan.

A flash of light behind them indicated that the Engineer had teleported onto the scene. The purple unicorn quickly scrawled a circular rune onto the dirt behind them. With a tap, energy started gathering through the lines. “Point linked,” she declared, tapping the runes. “We can get the rest of our team through here within the minute.”

She emptied some more energy into section of dirt to the side. An adobe column slowly rose out of the ground, covered in swirling, stylish runes. She took a deep breath and exhaled Purple and Orange smoke into it. Energy flashed though the runes, glowing with an ethereal light. Wounds Firefly had sustained began healing. Sombra’s dwindling magic reserves began replenishing.

Yet Firefly was still worried, eyeing the approaching defenders. “I don’t think we have a minute, Engi. Any backup coming through yet?”

“Don’t worry about it, I have it covered,” Twilight replied. “I have had ran through multiple scenarios several times, and this is still within acceptable parameters.” Energized from the Repair Station, she created a pair of steel rods with a bulbous base. Metal claws popped into existence and stabilized itself by grabbing into the dirt.

“Oh right. Your aimbot.”

“It is not mindless!” she said firmly as blue and pink smoke wrapped around the gun like device. “They’re my best [Redacted]


“While I was designing this emplacement gun, I debated whether I needed to sacrifice higher rates of fire for better damage output. I then realized that I could do both. Sniper was already doing so, after all.”


The tube flipped forward, looking vaguely like an over-and-under double barreled air cannon with a pink radar turret. One was a 5 mm rifle, the one fused right below it was a 30 mm. The 30 mm had a massive belt of grenades hanging below it

*Beep Beep* it chirped, the radar dish pointing at a random point in the air. The barrels swiveled and lobbed a grenade, leaving a trail of warm yellow sparks.

“Ha-!” A guard with a rocket launcher said. Right before he ate a 30 mm explosive.

“Told you,” Twilight said. She leaned towards the gun and hugged it. “You guys take care of Sombra for me, okay? I’ll be back soon.” She nodded at Firefly. “Watch my back.” Firefly hopped and flapped her wings into a gentle hover. She held out a hoof, watching it as it split apart and revealed a small caliber machine gun. She racked a bolt on its edge with her magic and nodded to Firefly with a sneer. “Let’s clear the skies,” she said, her voice dripping with malice. Firefly lifted her up into the sky, a dull red glow in Twilight’s eyes as she summoned a mist of red.


The interviewer stepped unsteadily away back towards the facility, somewhat shaken at the Engineer’s descriptions at how her devices worked and at the metal prosthetics popping out of various spot on her body.

Author's Note:

1. Sniper
2. Scout
3. Heavy
4. Engineer
5. Demoman
6. Soldier
7. Spy
8. Medic
9. Pyro

And that is the end of the Interviews. But the beginning of the actual conflict.
Join us next time, for Meet the Director.
Mission Begins in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...