• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 1,196 Views, 27 Comments

Innocent - Puzzle Piece



A ferocious warrior. A solemn soldier. A calculating archer. Their skills and violent history give them mixed feelings in this world of peaceful ponies. But the horizon is darkening with danger. Equestria’s peace may soon be its greatest weakness.

  • ...
4
 27
 1,196

PreviousChapters Next
Act II: Chapter Ten: A Foul Scent on the Winds

The early morning light that filtered into the throne room through the stained glass cast a dazzling array of colors across the floor and the ponies that occupied it. A meeting was in progress and the delegates of the visiting party presented their information and received a response in turn.

The former Captain of the Guard, Shining Armor, stood at attention beside the throne itself. The light reflecting off of his white coat gleamed almost as brightly as on the gold edges of his purple-plated Captain’s uniform. The multi-shaded bands of his blue mane swept back from the crest of his helmet. He may be a Prince now through his marriage to Princess Cadence of the Crystal Empire, but he was an officer at heart. While visiting Canterlot to see his parents, he’d dropped by the palace to look in on his old command.

After some jokes and good natured prodding from a few friends in the ranks, he’d asked Celestia if he could stand in as Captain for old time’s sake. Of course, she graciously agreed. Now, his eyes studied every movement of every pony present as his training insisted, but he didn’t really expect to see anything. It was only the representatives of the towns in eastern Equestria meeting with the Princess to report the regions' latest news.

It was a monthly event and hardly high profile; one of the reasons he’d even considered requesting to stand in. He didn’t neglect his duties just because an incident was unlikely, but he didn’t stand rigid the entire time either. Besides himself, there were ten other Guards on call. Two outside the great-doors and two inside, two flanking the dais the thrones of the Princesses rested on, and four at intervals along the walls. It was a fairly standard roster for a scheduled meeting such as this and was almost entirely for show.

The concerns raised in these reports were hardly ever more than mundane inconveniences. Shining Armor had heard some of the Guards, mostly the ones who hadn’t been around the Royal Sisters very long, question why they even bothered with such things. Minor concerns could be dealt with just as well by a lower ranking official, they argued. He disliked this kind of talk and put a stop to it whenever he overheard it.

Celestia was aware of these opinions as well. The one time Shining Armor had mentioned it, she had told him that there was no need to discuss it. She had reassured him that it was harmless talk and that she would not wish to discourage openness of opinions among her subjects. She did, however, make her reasons clear to all very shortly afterward. Calling the entire active Guard together, she made a formal announcement.

She held personal audience with her subjects because she wished to show how much she cared for each and every one of them. No matter how small the issue or simple the question, she wanted to be there for her little ponies. It was not only her duty but her joy to help them in any way she could. When she let them speak to her in person, it helped remove a barrier between Royal and subject that she had never been fond of.

Shining Armor took no small amount of pride in his Princess and had been almost overwhelmed when he’d learned that he’d been chosen as the Captain of the Guard. He had been one of fifteen candidates. When the decision was made, Celestia called him to her and told him the news herself. He was so overjoyed that he could hardly contain himself. For the rest of the day, the rest of the week in fact, he’d felt in danger of crying out his happiness and dancing for joy. He smiled even now thinking back on it all.

The reports were just concluding and the representatives were preparing to leave when the doors burst open from the outside. Two Pegasus Guards landed and bowed before the Princess. Once she had acknowledged them, the leader stepped forward and hoofed her a scroll.

“This was given to me by a scout who says he was on patrol near the western mountains. He’s being treated for his injuries now and is unable to deliver it himself.” The Guard bowed and backed away from the throne. “His comrade escorted him to the infirmary but will report here after his companion has been seen to.”

Celestia nodded gravely and unfurled the parchment. Her eyes widened with every line they passed over.

“What is it, your Highness?” Shining Armor asked, stepping closer.

She put the scroll aside and took a steadying breath. “It appears there are hostile creatures in the northwest. They have crossed the Equestrian border in force.” She looked around at her Guards. Her face tightened with sadness. “The patrol was attacked on sight. Of the five ponies, only two made it back.”

The other Guards began muttering amongst themselves. Shining Armor was shocked. He hadn’t quite pulled himself back together before another pair of Guards entered. The first was helping the second limp in. The other was bloodied and partially bandaged. Before they reached the throne, Celestia left it to meet them halfway. Her eyes softened at the sight of his injuries and she frowned in concern. He attempted to bow but she interrupted to spare him the strain.

“Your Highness, I apologize for the delay. My commanding officer was in need of medical attention,” the wounded Pegasus said.

“Your apology is unnecessary. I am glad he is being tended to,” she replied, nodding her approval. “Do you have anything to add to the report?”

“Yes. The report does not include numbers or what they are. I’ve been on the high mountain station for several years now and I know that they are a species of troll. Their fur patterns point to a cold but dry climate and the build of the upper body suggests a hardier breed. My guess would be the Deep Troll from the caves in the northern peaks.”

“Trolls? What could they be doing here?” Shining Armor asked, crossing the room to stand beside the Princess once more.

“I can’t be sure,” the guard shook his head. “But it could be that they are looking for new resources. The north is relatively barren, especially the mountainous regions.”

Celestia nodded. “Your knowledge of their traits and territory will be invaluable in the coming days. I would request that you remain to give counsel on our course of action.”

The Guard bowed as low as he could manage. “I would be honored, Princess.”

“Also, I believe you mentioned numbers?”

“Yes,” he said, straightening once more. “We saw their camp from a distance and were ambushed by their sentries. We estimate that there are more than three thousand of them.”

If Celestia’s coat wasn’t already pure white, Shining Armor was sure he would have seen it pale. Her eyes went wide and lost focus. She took a few steps away and stopped. Hanging her head slightly, she asked, “Shining Armor? Even removed from your position as you are, I would ask for your experience in this. What do you think our chances are?”

Surprised by the negative tone of the question, all eyes turned to him expectantly. He met their gazes while he did some mental calculations. He saw fear and conviction in almost equal parts. They were loyal, there was no questioning that. But even so, they could still be afraid. He took a breath to steady himself before speaking.

“Our forces include four hundred Royal Guard and, if pressed, the Wonderbolts, who number about fifty.” He winced at the next words he spoke. “We cannot stand against such numbers. There simply aren’t enough of us to stop them all.”

Celestia nodded as her fears were confirmed. “What do you recommend?”

Shining Armor hesitated again. “Your Highness, I wish I could think of another way. But the only solution I see is to increase the number of troops available to us. We need to draft an army.”

Mutters filled the hall. A draft? There had never been a draft.

Celestia was silent for a long time. The room grew tense as they waited for her answer.

“I will not force any pony to go to war against their will. We will ask for emergency volunteers. I consider a draft our last option.” She turned back to the scout. “Do you think it is possible to negotiate peace?”

“No,” he answered immediately. “They attacked us without provocation and were savage fighters. They obviously had no interest in peace.”

“I hadn’t thought so. But I must still try. I won’t give up any chance to keep my subjects from harm. I will do everything in my power to protect my little ponies.” She met the eyes of all of her Guards. “All I ask is that you will do the same.”

Shining Armor stepped forward. “You don’t have to ask us that. We would never do anything less!”

Cries of agreement and approval rang from the others.

Celestia smiled even as tears filled her eyes. “Thank you. Your devotion will give me the strength to see these dark days behind us.” Straightening to her full height, Celestia suddenly radiated a commanding energy. “Sergeant White Hail! Assemble a group of your swiftest fliers. Warn the cities and towns on the border of the danger and tell them to evacuate. I want you to send them before the hour is out.”

The officer at the door saluted and left in a flurry of wing-beats.

“Lieutenant Flourishing Banner! Muster the entire Guard. I want them equipped and ready for action by tomorrow morning. We will not let them simply march into our lands unopposed.” She turned to the nearest guard. “See that Corporal Heralding Winds is treated for his injuries.”

The startled scout was led away by the guard, boggling at her as he tried to recall if he’d ever mentioned his name to her.

She swept the throne room with a hard gaze. “Everypony else, make preparations for war.” As the others scattered, she took Shining Armor aside. “I hesitate to ask this of you, but I wish you to lead the Guard at my side. Captain Gallant Lance will have the new army to train and I need your experience in the field.”

Shining Armor nodded. “Of course, your Highness.”

“Good,” she smiled briefly. Turning to a stunned scribe who still lingered after the original court session, she spoke crisply. “Take note. This is to be the announcement sent to the citizens of Equestria to ask for their service in the army.”

The startled scribe whipped out a roll of parchment and readied his quill.

~*~*~

It was just after midday and the scattering of wispy clouds that dotted the sky over Ponyville drifted lazily in the cool breeze. As he, Cor, and Zacon walked through town, Jason noticed a large group of ponies near city hall. Trotting over, they spotted Twilight and her friends.

“What’s going on?” Jason asked in greeting.

“There’s some sort of trouble in the far west,” Rarity answered. “The Princess sent out these declarations to every town in Equestria.”

“It says that there are reports of ‘mountain trolls’, and that volunteers are being called on to join the army,” Twilight said, reading the notice pinned to the announcements board over the heads of the ponies in front of them. “We haven’t had a standing army since…um…actually, I don’t remember reading anything about an Equestrian Army. It’s always been just the Royal Guard.”

“I wouldn’t have thought this land had enemies,” Cor observed.

“We don’t really. I mean, the Changelings count I guess, but they’re probably the only ones,” Twilight said, concerned. “I wonder who these trolls are…and why they would attack us.”

Before the speculation could continue, Rainbow Dash burst into the air to emphasize her words. “It doesn’t matter who or why! We’ve got an enemy who thinks they can mess with Equestria and we’ll show ‘em how wrong they are!”

“Easy now, dear. We aren’t about to go charging off this very second.” Rarity waved a dismissive hoof at Dash’s performance. “Besides, it’ll be the army that’ll ‘show them’.”

“Well, maybe that’s where I want to be.” Dash crossed her hooves indignantly.

Rarity started in shock but not as much as Jason did.

“What?” Jason exclaimed. “You’re thinking of joining the army?”

“Well yeah! They want volunteers. What kind of ponies did you think they’re looking for?” She jerked her eyes in Fluttershy’s direction. The bashful Pegasus blushed in embarrassment.

“I don’t like it,” Jason said. “Do you even know what you’re getting into?”

“If I don’t, does it make any difference?” Dash shot back. “I’ve never hesitated before and now that there’s something really, truly important, I’m not about to start. Getting into the Wonderbolts has been my dream since forever and I’ve been training to be the best for just as long. That makes me a perfect candidate to volunteer. Maybe this is what I’m meant to use my talent for.”

Unable to come up with a response, Jason turned away bitterly. Many of the ponies around them began turning their attention to the exchange. They glanced back and forth between the defiant Pegasus and the concerned Unicorn. Some whispered their own thoughts on the matter to their neighbors but most waited to see what would happen next.

At last, without turning back to Dash, Jason said, “If you do this, you’ll lose something sacred.”

“Sacred?” she repeated skeptically. “What would I lose that’s sacred? I’d be doing what I thought was right, and that’s helping everypony. I wouldn’t lose anything.”

“Everyone holds something sacred,” he replied curtly, still not looking. “For me, it is innocence. And that’s precisely what you’d lose.”

“Hah, that’s rich coming from you. Didn’t you say you were a warrior yourself?” Dash spread her hooves in exasperation. “Why would you care about something like innocence?”

Jason rounded on her and practically yelled, “Because I’ve spent my whole life defending innocence while losing my own!” The moment the words left his mouth, his face crumbled under the weight of restrained emotion that refused to be hidden any longer. He looked away again quickly. It had cost him dearly to admit it.

Dash hovered for a moment longer before dropping back to the ground, stunned. Any of the ponies who had been talking fell quiet and looked on with concern. The same uncomfortable silence had fallen over the rest of the group. Fluttershy was on the verge of tears. Rarity was covering her mouth to suppress a gasp. Twilight’s eyes were as wide as saucers. Applejack had taken her hat off and was holding it before her to conceal her expression. Pinkie seemed to be having trouble understanding what had happened, but at a glance from Rarity, she made an effort to contain herself.

“I didn’t mean…I just…,” Rainbow Dash said, trying to put a hoof on Jason’s shoulder. Jason jerked away at the touch. Tears stained the ground, shaken loose by his movement. Dash looked to her friends for help.

Twilight walked around in front of Jason and lifted his chin to look her in the eyes. He had regained control of himself but his eyes still showed the turmoil within.

“I’m sure Dash didn’t mean to upset you. Would you like to talk about it?”

Jason let her hold his gaze for a moment longer and then turned away gently. Twilight looked back at the others, none of whom knew what to do. She then turned to Cor and Zacon to try to gauge how his friends were reacting. Zacon was a statue, his powerful form rigid and immovable. His eyes and ears followed them all and missed no detail but she could not divine any of the thoughts that lay beneath. Cor was fiddling with a stone near his hooves. There was a knowing cast to his expression and he directed sad glances at both Jason and Twilight’s friends from time to time.

They obviously knew what this was all about, or at least Cor did. They didn’t look any more likely to offer any explanations though.
Before Twilight could do anything, Pinkie Pie reached her limits of self-restraint.

“What did Jason mean by that? I don’t get what he lost. It wasn’t a favorite toy, was it? I would hate to lose a really fun toy. Maybe we can help you look for it!”

“Pinkie! Shhhh!” Applejack cut her off before she could get too much momentum.

To their surprise, Jason chuckled. “No, it wasn’t a toy, Pinkie.” He turned back to them as he continued solemnly. “It’s a state of being. Innocence is something you happen to have in abundance. And no, you cannot give any of it to me,” he said, cutting off her offer before she could make it.

“Yes, I am a warrior. I’ve fought in several wars, which means I’ve killed. I’ve never enjoyed it but I’ve done it, many times. You lose a part of yourself when you kill. When you take another’s life, you lose some sense of the value in it. To look at another living being as just an ‘enemy’ and not as a being with a soul and a mind and a family is a terrible thing, but many soldiers do this so that they can accept the fact that they are killing them.

“I’ve fought all my life to stay above that way of thinking. I know how easy it is to fall into it. And I don’t want that to happen to you, Rainbow Dash. When you’ve lost your innocence, you can’t get it back; you can’t un-see the horrors of war.”

Rainbow thought for a moment before answering. “You’re talking about desensitization to killing others, but they’re just troll. They aren’t ponies, so fighting them wouldn’t be the same as…”

“No, Rainbow Dash!” Jason wasn’t yelling, but the edge in his voice produced the same effect. “They are not ponies, but what difference does that make? It isn’t a long step from ‘not ponies’ to ‘not Pegasi’ or ‘not Unicorns’. Have you forgotten that I am not a pony? What of my people? Since they aren’t ponies, fighting them wouldn’t be like that, is that right?”

“N-no. I…I’m sorry. I didn’t…Uhhnng!” Rainbow Dash dragged her forehooves across her face in frustration. “I get it, okay? War is bad. But Princess Celestia sent out a call to arms. She’s asking for ponies to defend Equestria. If I don’t go, how will I ever face those who did, knowing that I could have done my part? How could I live with myself knowing that I just hid back at home while other ponies are out there fighting to keep me safe? I want to join up and fight. I want to protect others; my friends and our homes and all of the ponies in Equestria. Don’t you see, Jason?”

Jason sighed. “Yes. I do understand; more than you know. And though I still wish you wouldn’t, I can’t stop you.” He looked at her intensely. “But if you fight, so will I. This may not be my country, but you are my friends and I would protect you with my life.”

Dash and her friends were greatly surprised but they weren’t the only ones. Zacon’s ears stuck straight up and Cor started in astonishment.

“You will?” Cor asked, stepping forward.

“Look, even if we had a way home right now, I’d still stay until this land was safe once more. Since we don’t have the option of leaving in the first place, I won’t do anything less.”

“In that case, I’m in too,” Cor declared.

All eyes turned to Zacon. Zacon cast a glance around before he spoke.

“With all due respect to Jason,” his bass voice rumbled as a small grin appeared, “Regardless of my feelings for this place, I’ve never felt right sitting out a fight. I would be insulted if you believed I would do so now.”

Other ponies around them began voicing encouragement and even declarations of their own resolve to join. Jason realized that the idea had been romanticized by the exchange but he couldn’t possibly downplay it now. Not after what Rainbow Dash had said. They would see it as a solemn responsibility, an honorable duty. Were they wrong? No, he admitted to himself. But they weren’t even half right. They saw glory in being the ones defending their homes. They hadn’t yet thought of what it would require.

Three ponies emerged from town hall and the crowd fell silent. Mayor Mare, a Royal Guard Pegasus, and a Pegasus in a blue and yellow jumpsuit stood at the top of the steps looking down at the waiting ponies. They exchanged a few words quietly.

“Is that Spitfire?” Twilight asked as a wave of whispers passed through the crowd.

“As if it could be any other pony,” Dash said reproachfully. “The real question is, what is she doing here?”

“Fillies and Gentlecolts,” the Mayor began. “It is my grave duty to inform you that Equestria is under attack. Princess Celestia has requested that volunteers step forward to join the Army. She stresses that no pony will be forced to fight but she implores you all to consider joining if you are able. Even now, she is leading the Royal Guard, under the command of Prince Shining Armor, to meet the threat. With me here are representatives of the two branches of the army being formed. I will turn it over to them to explain the situation.”

The Mayor stepped aside and the Guard took her place. He considered the crowd before speaking. His deep voice was soft but grave.

“In the service of the Princesses, my fellow Guardsponies and I have sworn an oath to defend Equestria. Now, we find ourselves in a dire situation and must ask for ponies to take up this responsibility alongside us. Any pony who believes they can serve in the defense of our country is encouraged to step forward and join the army. None of you are required to do so, but we as a country need brave souls to stand beside us.”

Mayor Mare set a table next to the city hall’s stairs and placed a quill and parchment on it. She and the Guard stood beside it.

“Anypony who is willing should sign up here.”

Spitfire stepped forward.

“Any Pegasi that want to join the Air Corps specifically are to talk to me. The Wonderbolts have committed themselves to the army as well. We are looking for new members with considerable flight experience to join us.”

Rainbow Dash didn’t even try to hide her gleeful expression. “I’m going to join the Wonderbolts?” she whispered to herself. “The actual Wonderbolts?” She made an effort to keep herself on the ground, but was having trouble doing so.

“We will wait for the rest of the day before the first group of recruits is sent to the training camps,” the Guard continued. “We will still accept later applicants, but we cannot wait long before moving to form the army.”

The crowd buzzed as friends and families discussed their options. A few ponies stepped up to the table to sign on and Rainbow was at the front.

“I’m here to join the Air Corps, ma’am,” Rainbow announced with a sharp salute.

Spitfire considered her for a short moment. “You’re Rainbow Dash right?” she asked casually.

“Yes ma’am.”

“I thought I recognized you. From the Best Young Fliers Competition I believe. It will be good to know that we have some real power in our new wings.” She scribbled Rainbow’s name on the parchment and her voice turned businesslike. “We’ll be meeting here again at seven o’clock sharp to ship out to training. You have until then to make preparations to leave.” Spitfire turned to the next applicant.

“Um, ma’am?” Rainbow asked hesitantly.

“What is it?” she replied without looking up from the name she was jotting down.

“Does this mean I’m a Wonderbolt?”

Spitfire stopped and looked at her squarely. “Listen, the Wonderbolts need numbers to be any help to the army. You aren’t a member of the flying team; you’re a member of the Air Corps. I’ve seen you in action and you’ve got the talent to try to make the team, but now isn’t the time.”

With that, Spitfire considered Rainbow dismissed and she continued taking down names. Rainbow felt a bit crestfallen at first but she buoyed back up on the vote of confidence Spitfire had shown toward her. Strutting off like she was already dressed in the blue and yellow flight suit, Rainbow made her way through the crowd.

Jason watched as more than a dozen ponies approached the table and had their names recorded. He thought back to when he joined the army. It was hundreds of years ago…

Has it really been that long?

He too had flocked to the recruitment desk and penned his name onto the list of eager young Elves. They would fight the enemy; defend their homes; save the country! It was a bitter thought, thinking back on how bright their faces had been and how cheery their voices were. It was eerily similar here. He looked over at Cor to avoid memorizing the image, lest it torment him in the future.

Cor took it as a sign that Jason was ready for their own preparations. He nodded to Zacon and they all started walking. Twilight saw them leaving and called out to them.

“Where are you going?”

“To the library,” Cor replied.

“But the registry for the army is over here,” she said.

“We know.”

“You said you’d help us fight. Why are you going to the library instead?” Twilight trailed off in confusion.

“Because our weapons are still there. In either case, we’re not about to become foot soldiers in your military.” Cor blew a raspberry. “Two of us are royalty for crying out loud! That would be the most degrading demotion in history.”

Zacon nodded in agreement.

“Then what are you going to do?” Twilight asked.

“We’ll fight alongside you,” Jason explained. “But not as part of your army. Think of us as mercenaries.”

Cor grimaced at that term.

Jason noticed and shoved him gently. “Deal with it. It didn’t turn out half bad last time, right?”

Cor muttered crossly but the words were indistinct.

Twilight was nonplussed, but they didn’t expand on it and she moved on. “Alright. And what is your plan?”

“We need to gather equipment and supplies, learn about the lands we’ll be fighting in, and find a way to coordinate with the army, for starters.”

“I have maps you can use, and depending on what you’ll need, supplies should be easy to come by. As for communicating with the army, it would probably be best to talk to them.” She gestured at the Guard and Spitfire.

Jason nodded. “We appreciate it. I just hope we’ll be able to find everything we’ll need.”

They all headed toward the library as the line to sign on with the army thinned. Most of the ponies who had decided to go were saying goodbyes to their neighbors before hurrying off to pack.

~*~*~

Ponyville was an anthill of activity for the rest of the day. The blacksmith, under normal circumstances, would see enough business in the course of a week to stay busy. Now, it had to take on every skilled apprentice in town full time to keep up with the new orders. Any business that could contribute had gone into overdrive to produce whatever they could for the army’s use. In just a few short hours, the town had turned from a quiet village, to an industrialized camp.

But despite the clamor during the day, it was unusually quiet that evening. The birds of the day retired early and the birds of the night seemed reluctant to rouse themselves. The wind was dead calm and the insects had gone into hiding. Nopony roamed the streets. They had all retreated to their homes following the departure of the ponies who had volunteered to fight.

The recruits had left to fanfare and cheering just after seven o’clock. The recruits gathered at the north side of town and their families saw them off with extended farewells. The Mayor gave a stirring speech about bringing glory to Equestria and the hearts of Ponyville going with them. Then Spitfire led them out of town toward one of the nearest training camps that had been set up for the new army. In total, forty ponies had left. It wasn’t a huge number compared to the rest of the town, but to the families it affected, it was half of the world.

When Rainbow had waved to them from the head of the group, Fluttershy had burst into tears. It took Cor, Applejack and Twilight more than an hour to calm her down. The absence of their friend left them all in a subdued mood for the rest of the day. Even with all of the preparations yet to be made to support the army, they didn’t have the heart for it. Nopony in town felt much like continuing to work either. Their thoughts were on their departed friends. It was decided that everypony would leave their work for tomorrow and take the night to observe the solemn occasion.

Long after sundown at Sweet Apple Acres, Cor and Jason sat in the living room, piles of materials and equipment scattered around them. They were still awake and working, knowing that they needed to finish their own preparations as soon as possible. Cor was preparing arrows, seeing as his bow hadn’t come with any. Jason was putting a sheath together for his sword from the spare leather used for their outfits. Cor worked soundlessly but Jason kept putting his materials down and staring off into space.

“You’re worried.” Cor made the question a statement as he fitted another arrowhead to a shaft.

“You heard them. They don’t have any concept of what war really is.” Jason looked up the stairs that Apple Bloom and Applejack had gone up less than an hour ago. “I’m not worried. I’m terrified.”

“Why?”

“How could I not be?” Jason picked up the leather strips again and secured a bronze clasp to one end.

“We’ve protected civilian populations before. How is this one different?”

Jason dropped the sheath again. “I’m not sure. This place…It seems different. Special somehow.”

Cor stopped working and considered him critically. “I think I know what you mean. It’s like it needs to be protected? It’s too pure to be violated?”

Jason nodded absently while staring at nothing. “Yes. Like that.”

Cor nodded resolutely. “It’s the same feeling as standing in one of the Sacred Glades. That need; to defend it from any intrusion? It’s not unusual. And plus, we’ve only just arrived here a week ago. It’s bound to feel unspoiled, right?”

Jason contemplated the idea silently until Cor waved the sheath under his nose.

“You’d best keep working or this’ll never get done.”

They worked for a long time without saying anything. The Apple family had gone to bed shortly after sundown. Big Macintosh had been the last one when he returned to the farm with the cart full of supplies Cor and Jason were now working with. Bronze buckles and clasps, steel arrowheads, and iron rivets fresh from the blacksmith, as well as the leather from Rarity and feathers donated by Pegasi who weren’t going to fight.

In addition to handpicking each feather, which the Pegasi showed surprising amounts of patience for, Cor had gone into the woods with Fluttershy to find a tree. He had consulted her on his choice to be sure it was alright to use it, and when she gave him her consent, he converted the entire tree into arrow shafts with his magic. It had left him badly drained, but he was beginning to recover now.

On one side of the room were the raw materials in sorted stacks. On the other were finished products. Three quivers that Jason had already completed held the arrows that Cor was done assembling. Each one held twenty arrows and a stack of fifty more waited beside them. Cor put the last one on the pile and stood up, stretching.

“It’s late and I’m out of arrowheads.” He counted the arrows. “I’ll need more but we’ll have to wait until morning to do anything about it.” He yawned. “Will you be turning in soon?”

Jason fidgeted with a strap before answering. “I’ll finish these first. Good night.”

Cor nodded and walked upstairs. Jason fitted the last clasp onto the sheath and held it up for inspection. It was broader than strictly necessary for his blade, but that was intentional. It had a catch that would hold the guard in place and keep the blade from rattling in the sheath. Otherwise, it was a simple sheath of unadorned leather and bronze.

He slid the blade in and snapped the catch closed. He held it before him and contemplated it. He looped one of the belts he’d made through the sheath and strapped it to his armor. Then he slipped it on and looked himself over. It fit together without restricting him and was easy to access. He undid the clasp and drew the sword in a fluid motion. The black blade gleamed in front of him.

He twirled it slowly to experiment with his control of it. The path of the blade grew wider and his twirling turned to full swings. He stepped this way and that as the blade danced around him. Without needing to hold it in a hand, he could move it from one side to the other seamlessly. Each stroke flowed into the next almost without effort. Jason flourished a swing and launched into a full offensive practice routine.

The air hissed as the blade cut through it and Jason spun across the room in its wake. Even on hooves, his movement came naturally. The unity with his blade, the feel and sound of each cut and stroke; everything clicked like clockwork. It was a dance as much as a combat form: Art as much as war. He and the blade were held together by only his telekinesis, but they moved simultaneously, one shadowing the other.

With a final flurry, Jason spun in a wide arch and sheathed the blade in the same motion. When all was still again, he became aware of Zacon watching him from the front door.

“At least your form isn’t lost.”

Jason put the sword aside and pulled more pieces of leather to him.

“I’m not sure if it’s easier not having to hold it or harder not being able to hold it. Somewhere in between I think?”

“I’ve encountered no such dilemmas. My bond with the Axe is as strong as ever.” Zacon hefted it on his shoulder. “I was able to find a comfortable stance and balance while I was practicing…and we won’t need to worry about firewood for a long time.”

“Just as long as you didn’t cut down any trees you weren’t supposed to.” Jason looped the leather into a sling and used thinner strips to tie it off. He slipped a clasp over the end to keep the loose ends together.

Zacon was suspiciously silent. He just stood at the bottom of the steps for a second before walking up. Jason sighed. He tied another sling together, longer this time. They would be connected by a larger piece to form a pouch to hold Cor’s bow. But now, he only finished the slings. He felt tired. More tired than normal. He supposed it was because of all of the thoughts weighing on his mind right now.

He put the pieces down and decided that if he was going to be of any use tomorrow, he’d need a decent night’s sleep. He climbed the stairs reluctantly, and left the makings of a war behind him.

PreviousChapters Next