• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 1,190 Views, 27 Comments

Innocent - Puzzle Piece



A ferocious warrior. A solemn soldier. A calculating archer. Their skills and violent history give them mixed feelings in this world of peaceful ponies. But the horizon is darkening with danger. Equestria’s peace may soon be its greatest weakness.

  • ...
4
 27
 1,190

PreviousChapters Next
Act I: Chapter Seven: Under Moon and Star, Part 1

While waiting for the train that would take them to Canterlot, Twilight darted to and fro anxiously. Rarity held a notepad before her, sketching concepts for a new outfit. Pinkie Pie bounced alongside Twilight, matching her movement step for step. Applejack was lying back against the station building, her eyes closed and her hat pulled down over her face. Fluttershy and Cor were waiting off the platform, discussing something in low voices. Between them, Cor was waving his hoof over a flower that turned and swayed at his direction. Zacon had fixed the horizon with an unblinking stare, straining to catch sight of the train. Jason watched Twilight’s steady descent into hysterics with a wary eye.

“For crying out loud Pinkie! Will you just sit still?!” she exploded suddenly.

“But you’re going around in circles too,” Pinkie pointed out.

Twilight had no response so she just groaned and kept pacing.

“What’s bothering you so much?” Jason asked.

“We’re taking too long. We should be on our way to Canterlot right now.” She rounded on him. “We can’t keep Celestia waiting!”

“How long ago did you get the summons?”

“It came this morning, around ten o’clock.”

Jason glanced at the clock tower in town. It read half past one. “That isn’t that long ago. She can’t expect you to get your friends and guests together from all across town and set off for another city in one afternoon, can she?”

The face she gave him made it clear Twilight expected exactly that.

“Spiiike! Where are you?” she called out to the platform. Despite her plea, it remained empty of dragons. “I told him exactly what to get. How hard could it be to bring it down here?”

“What did you need to bring for a meeting with the Princess, darling?” Rarity asked absently.

“Just my research notes on the experiments,” Twilight shrugged. “I figured if she’s asking for these three, she’ll want to know about the work I’ve been doing with them.”

Rarity lowered her notepad to look at her. “And what work is that?”

“Oh, that’s right! I haven’t told you all.” She swept them all with her gaze and prepared to speak but then turned to Jason. “Of course, if you’d rather I didn’t…”

Jason shrugged. “I suppose it wouldn’t hurt. They’re your friends. If you don’t think they’ll react unpleasantly, then by all means.”

Beaming, Twilight took a deep breath…and was interrupted by Zacon.

“Train’s coming. It’s about a mile out.”

Before Twilight could express her irritation, a distant, shrill whistle confirmed his report. Resuming her frantic pacing, she called out for Spike again with no more luck than before.

“Oooh! If he’s not here, we’ll miss the train.” Her hooves produced a rapid pattering sound as she danced in place nervously. “Or we’ll have to leave him behind. No, we won’t leave him. We can’t leave him. Ooh!” She continued to worry herself into a panic.

“Did anypony notice Rainbow ain’t here either?” Applejack spoke up, scanning the skies.

This new realization only caused Twilight to begin hyperventilating. The smokestack of the train was now visible, the steadily approaching steam cloud that gently billowed above it made sinister by their friends’ absence. As the engine itself chugged into view, a gust of air and the clatter of hooves announced Rainbow’s arrival. And down from her back climbed a book-laden dragon.

“Thanks for the lift R.D.” Spike said, speaking through a thick layer of paper. “I wouldn’t have made it otherwise.”

“No problem. I’d never leave one of my friends hanging.” Rainbow brushed it off with the wave of a hoof.

With a gasp of relief, Twilight lunged at her assistant and wrapped him in an affectionate hug. “You made it! And you brought everything. I knew I could count on you. And you too, Rainbow. You’re a lifesaver.”

“It was nothing. Seriously, any time,” she said, but it was obvious she relished the praise.

The whistle sounded again and they were joined by Cor and Fluttershy. All together, they watched the train pull into the station. A hiss of steam and the shouts of the conductor welcomed them to board. They took seats in one of the otherwise empty cars. Cor leaned against the window, gazing out at the countryside. Zacon sat next to the door, as if being close to the exit would make the trip go faster. The others piled into two rows and shifted around excitedly, discussing what the Princess wanted.

Jason settled into the first seat he reached and faced the wall in front of him. The train lurched as it pulled out of the station. He let his eyes glaze over as he too contemplated the meaning of this summons. She had asked for the three of them specifically. It couldn’t be a coincidence and he wasn’t inclined to believe that Twilight’s experiments were the only reason. She had to know. And if the Princess knew, did she have a solution? Would she be able to send them home? Or would she insist on it?

The thought of leaving was suddenly unpleasant. He’d grown to like this place. He glanced over his shoulder as a bout of laughter from the ponies drew his attention. They were so happy; so nice and thoughtful and peaceful. He wished he could share it with them longer.

He shook his head. He was getting ahead of himself. She might not be planning to send them back. She might only wish to know where they came from, what they were doing there. That could end up requiring a long winded explanation and he was barely able to make sense of it himself. He would have to put it in order in his own head first if he was going to explain it to someone else. He was interrupted in his efforts by Cor falling off the seat in front of him.

“How are we supposed to sit with these things?” He waved a hind leg in the air from where he lay.

Jason blinked down at him as he shifted in the seat he was having no difficulties occupying. Zacon walked over to look at him, his amused smirk speaking volumes of payback for his discomfort in recent days.

“Oh, shut up.” Cor righted himself and plopped back into the seat defiantly. Zacon just chuckled. His cheerful attitude had stuck around for an unusually long time. Ever since the fight in the Everfree, he hadn’t complained about anything. If that was what it took to keep him happy, Jason didn’t regret it. He just hoped he wouldn’t have to repeat the experience.

As if reading his thoughts, the conversation turned to reviewing the fight.

“If only your dexterity in battle could be displayed everywhere else,” the warrior rumbled.

Cor grimaced as he caught himself from slipping again. “Yeah. Battle instinct is one thing but managing this body is weird. I’m so used to being able to lean backwards, but I can’t do that with my legs pointed this way. There goes half of my dodging tactics!” He waved his hoof at the mentioned tactics as they flew out the window. “On that subject, thanks for covering me. I still don’t have arrows or I’d have dropped those last two myself.”

Zacon shrugged. “Not at all. You were off balance and they had you flanked. No warrior honest with himself would have left you to stand alone. And you returned the favor when you took that one off my back. He was quite irritating.”

“Still, I probably owe you for drawing the attention of most of them in the first place,” Cor returned. “The way you jumped into the middle of that group kept the pressure off me long enough to get ready.”

“You two can talk about how many assists you got off of each other until you decompose where you sit,” Jason interrupted them lazily. “I don’t hear anything about how much you owe me.”

“Your assistance is appreciated but a given. It’s your job.” Zacon looked down his nose at him. Cor nodded in sarcastic agreement.

Jason balked at him in mock disbelief.

“I do want to thank you though,” Cor said, returning to serious discussion. “Their eyes…I just looked at one and it looked back, and I felt so cold. It was like it was freezing me solid.”

“That’s not far from the truth. I saw you stop suddenly and I knew something was wrong. When I cut it down, I saw that your hindquarters had begun to turn to stone.”

Cor swallowed apprehensively at the thought.

Zacon frowned. “Are you saying that’s what I was feeling? Being turned to stone?”

“You felt it too?” Cor asked.

“Well, yes, I think. I stared down a good deal of them and I felt very cold every time. It didn’t cause me much pause though.”

Jason glanced at him with a grin. “Why am I not surprised?”

“Because you admit that my strength has merit your speed cannot counter?”

They locked eyes on each other for a second in good-natured challenge. Then they both chuckled. Jason’s laugh was a bit darker because he knew that Zacon was only half-joking. Their rivalry knew no bounds, from battle to battle, and now, from world to world. He shook his head with a sigh.

“I feel a little worried,” Cor said suddenly.

“Why would that be?” Jason said, pulling his legs up to lie on the seat lengthwise. He looked out the window, seeing the tree-spotted valley Ponyville rested in spread out below them. They had traveled into the mountains now and left the small town behind.

“We fought a small battle inside the borders of a foreign country.” Cor answered. “We killed denizens of this land. I wonder if the princess is somehow displeased with this.”

“They attacked us,” Zacon stated as if it left no room for argument.

“Even so, this is their country,” Cor pressed. “What if their laws state we aren’t allowed to fight those creatures?”

“Not allowed to fight them?” Zacon repeated in disbelief. “How could a law be put in place that would stop citizens from defending themselves?”

Cor held up a hoof defensively. “I’m just saying. I’ve seen weirder laws, you know. And we aren’t citizens either.”

Jason thought it over for a moment. “I can hardly believe that’s the reason. Why would the others be along?”

Cor had no answers and shrugged. “I’m just speculating. We should be prepared for anything.”

Jason grunted and looked out the window. “You mean you should be prepared. I’m just an officer, remember? You’re responsible for all of my actions.”

Cor frowned at him. “Thanks. Now I feel much better.”

Cor happened to look over at the others and stopped. The group had fallen silent momentarily. Applejack was looking back at them appraisingly while Rainbow Dash had crossed her forelegs and fixed them with a stare of scorching suspicion. Though she hid behind her mane when they saw her, Fluttershy’s eyes were wide in surprise. They weren’t as wide as Rarity’s though. She seemed torn between shock and enchantment.

Pinkie Pie seemed to be completely absorbed in a different dilemma. She frowned in annoyance as she closely inspected the back of the hoof on her left foreleg. Twilight was giving them an apologetic smile. Spike was hardly paying attention, only looking up from a book he’d snuck in amongst the notes when all talking had stopped.

“I probably didn’t explain that very well. Maybe we should wait to hear from them,” Twilight said, throwing the other three a pained look. “I have a feeling it will come up with the Princess anyway.”

The rest of the trip was spent in an uncomfortable silence. The two groups kept apart, not as much out of suspicion as for a sense of familiarity. Zacon sat on his haunches beside the door, staring at nothing. Cor shifted every minute or so between sitting positions, trying to get a handle on one. The girls all huddled together, casting a glance at them from time to time. Jason watched the valley grow distant through the window as they traveled higher into the mountains. His view was impeded when they went through a series of tunnels.

When they emerged, Canterlot stood before them. Cor now joined Jason at the window to look at it curiously. A large portion of the castle-city hung over the edge of the mountain, supported either by some masterful design in the architecture or the power of mysterious magic. Spires rose up against the sky from behind gold-capped alabaster walls. The minarets were plated with gold and bronze and ornamented with flagpoles and sculptures of stars and flowers. The sun glinted off the rooftops and windows, making the entire city sparkle.

A waterfall cascaded down the slopes behind the castle, filling a small lake that ran past the gates and spilled down the mountainside. The wide arching gates were open wide, the portcullis raised, and the drawbridge down. Ponies crossed in and out in a light but steady stream under the watchful eyes of a small squad of guards in gleaming gold armor posted at the gate and on the battlements.

The train pulled onto a bridge that led to an access in the walls and began its deceleration. Once they were through, the rest of the city, which had been hidden by the high mountain walls that surrounded it, was revealed to them. In a vale tucked back into the face of the mountain, residences and businesses extended out from the visible portion and tapering off into open parks that led smoothly up to the mountain. There was much more to the city than they had been able to see from the approach.

The train rode the border of the buildings into a rail yard. With a last bump, it stopped and the doors opened. Zacon was the first one out. His face was impassive but his haste betrayed his impatience. Cor and Jason exited and stood in appreciative silence as they took in the feel of the city.

Their six pony companions shuffled out onto the platform as if falling into a routine of sorts. Twilight glanced around with wistful reminiscence while Applejack scanned the big city streets and buildings critically. Rarity’s attention homed in on the nearest ponies’ outfits, obviously comparing them to some mental image.

Everything Fluttershy looked at except the ground was given a look that seemed afraid of insulting it somehow. She gave the ground a look that seemed to apologize for staring at it so much. Rainbow Dash took to the air and drifted above them. Pinkie Pie just bounced alongside the group as they left the platform and started up a main street toward the palace. Spike huffed along under the books and papers without complaint.

The first thing Cor noticed was the change in the ponies’ attitudes. Most held their noses in the air and were all well-dressed. Their steps were measured and sure and implied superiority. Cor felt sick at the thought of being forced to speak with them. If it were possible, they looked more snobbish than the courtiers of his own country.

The roads were seamless flagstones, pale green in color to resemble grass. Unlike Ponyville, the streets were straight and lined by sidewalks and lamp posts. The shops were all high class and served luxury wares almost exclusively. Another thing that Cor noted was that almost every pony he saw was a Unicorn. A Pegasus or two happened by, but there were next to no Earth Ponies. He frowned in thought as they went on.

Zacon glanced with disdain at the ponies they passed. They all looked as if they thought themselves to be the center of their worlds. He repressed a hearty laugh at their self importance. His mind had worked through several plans to show them how wrong they were before he realized Cor would stop him somehow. He made the decision not to try any of his plans but kept thinking up new ones for the fun of it.

Jason’s eyes were locked on the palace they were fast approaching. Its high walls and towers were imposing in the strength that emanated from their very stone. Despite this, they seemed to look down on the surrounding buildings with benevolence. Guards patrolled the battlements and countless banners snapped in the wind atop poles on the walls and towers. There was a precision to it that drew him in. It was almost hypnotic. He took almost a minute to figure out why.

It was the familiarity of military drilling, his element, and he could follow it easily. It was the last thing he expected to find in a place like this. He shrugged at it, realizing that it was foolish to assume anything about foreign worlds. As they passed through the gates, Jason noticed that the guards nodded in recognition to Twilight.

Jason had been told that she was the one to talk to about magic and she was obviously respected in Ponyville, but now that he saw this, he began to suspect she was more than a well known librarian.

There’s more to her than meets the eye, he mused with a slight grin. Much like ourselves.

The ponies walked with a sense of familiarity, Twilight most of all. They didn’t gawk at the towers reaching high above them nor did they give more than a passing glance at the magnificent sculptures in the courtyard. They trotted briskly through the wide double doors that swung open at their approach.

Cor and Zacon both silently appraised the palace, exchanging mildly impressed glances from time to time. Several passages left the entrance hall from the first level but the group passed them by and ascended the magnificent, sweeping stairs into a long hall with high ceilings. Pillars adorned with a multitude of banners and tapestries separated the floor length windows. Deep plush carpeting ran down the middle of the hall to another, more imposing double door. A pair of Unicorn guards flanked it in a state of unblinking attention.

At their approach, one of the guards spoke. “State your business.”

“The Princess has requested our presence,” Twilight stated confidently.

The guard nodded and he and his counterpart lit up the door with their combined telekinetic grip and it swung inward. The throne room was much the same as any of the other halls in the palace. It had lavender walls with gold trim and floor length windows spaced by pillars and banners. Its ceiling was vaulted and a luxurious carpet ran down the center of the room.

The thing that made it different from any other room was the radiant Alicorn sitting on the throne at the top of the dais across from the door. Even the light streaming in through the many windows that lined the hall seemed dull and dim in her presence. The purity of her white coat was at once strikingly intense, yet invitingly soft. Her mane flowed gently even though there was no wind in the hall. Its range of soft colors stood out sharply against her coat.

A golden crown rested behind her horn and a gold collar set with a single amethyst hung from her neck. Gold shoes were fitted to her hooves. Her expansive wings were tucked back gracefully. Her Cutie Mark was an intricate sun. Her pink eyes looked back at them warmly but the warriors could feel them probe and measure them.

Twilight ran in ahead of the others, who walked in leisurely. Jason, Cor, and Zacon followed their lead and stayed in the back of the group. Twilight closed the distance between herself and the Princess before speaking.

“Princess Celestia!” she said enthusiastically. “We came as quickly as we could.”

“Twilight.” The Princess gave her a genuine smile of amusement. A palpable ripple of energy crossed the room with the sound of her voice. Like a wave on the shore, it was gentle and soothing but held hidden power. “You treat every request of mine like an emergency of the highest urgency.” She rose and strode down the steps to nuzzle Twilight affectionately. “That is why I know I can always count on you.”

“So, this isn’t an emergency?” Twilight asked.

“That is what I intend to find out.” She turned to address them all. “Through the means at my disposal, I have become aware of the presence of outsiders in Equestria. Not just from another country but from another world. I wish to know who they are and what their intent is.”

She paused for a moment and looked at them all expectantly. Jason, Cor, and Zacon stepped forward. Twilight’s friends moved aside to let them approach the Princess. Twilight stood just to Celestia’s side. Cor bowed low to Celestia as he spoke.

“I am Cor Hightalon, Prince of the Elven Alliance. This is Zacon Crimsontide, Prince of the Dragonite Pact. And this is Jason Faircastle, an officer under my command.” Zacon and Jason bowed briefly in respect as they were introduced.

The ponies stared in surprise at hearing the titles. Celestia simply nodded to each them.

“And what is your reason for coming to a world other than your own?”

Cor took another step forward. “Actually, your Highness, our being sent here was unintentional. We do not know the exact cause but we have theorized that it resulted from a magically charged explosion. With the help of Twilight Sparkle here, we’ve begun searching for a way home. Twilight has been immeasurably gracious in helping us not just in research but in acclimating to our new forms.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow at this.

Jason stepped forward. “Our forms were changed from what we are in our world to that of ponies. Twilight and her friends, the ones that know at least, have been accommodating beyond our greatest expectations.” Jason smiled at Applejack, who returned it with a hint of embarrassment mixed with pride.

The others continued to look more and more surprised with each new piece of information. It was one thing to hear that the ponies they knew weren’t at all who they had thought them to be. It was entirely another to hear it discussed and accepted so nonchalantly.

Celestia beamed. “I am glad to hear that my little ponies have made your time here agreeable. I would also like to offer you any assistance you may require in your journey home.”

Cor looked back at Twilight. “Is there anything you might need to continue?”

“I don’t know,” she said. “A little help wouldn’t be unwelcome. I just don’t know what kind I need. You see, I don’t have any experience with other worlds.”

She looked at Celestia imploringly. The Princess seemed to lose focus, staring off into space as her mind worked through some unfathomable process. At last, Celestia closed her eyes and sighed.

“I cannot tell you any more than you already know. But I have every confidence that you will find what is needed, my faithful
student.” She gave Twilight a bright smile.

Twilight nodded with determination.

“Now,” Celestia went on. “Have you found accommodations for yourselves? I’m sure I can find a place in Canterlot for you to stay until it is time to send you home.”

“We have accommodations in Ponyville, although we wouldn’t want to intrude on their hospitality.” Cor glanced at Applejack.

“Shucks, it ain’t nothin’.” Applejack shrugged. “And all the help ya’ll have been ‘round the farm is more than enough to compensate.”

“I see. Do any of you have anything to add?” Celestia turned her gaze to the others.

They all remained silent as they attempted to get past their shock. Only Pinkie seemed to have resisted being overwhelmed completely and she was still scrunching up her muzzle as she worked through it all. Celesita smiled at them.

“It seems you wish to have some time to process what you have heard. Very well. My intentions in this meeting have been fulfilled. I will not keep you from your own undoubtedly full schedule.” She turned to address the warriors. “Your being here is most unexpected and it was essential for me to determine the nature of the incursion. It is plain to me that you are not here on hostile business. While I hope for you to be returned to your home swiftly, I also hope that you find the time you spend here to be pleasant.”

With that, she bowed to them all in dismissal and they filed out.

“That seemed a little brief for all the hurry we put into getting there,” Cor observed as they made their way back through the castle. “I don’t know of any court meetings that I’ve attended that were shorter than an hour.”

“She likes to keep things concise,” Twilight said.

“Ah, I see. She needs to keep to her busy agenda.”

“Well, yes,” Twilight nodded. “But that’s not the whole reason. She doesn’t want to waste our time. She doesn’t care for formality when it distracts from helping the ponies she is taking the time to help.”

“Huh. What a concept.” Cor muttered. “If only our courtiers could think that way.”

Silence fell over them as they each mulled over what they had heard.

“Wait,” Spike spoke up suddenly as they came into the train station. “I carried these notes and books all the way here for nothing?”

“No, not for nothing,” Twilight explained patiently. “You carried them here in case we needed them.”

“But we didn’t,” Spike replied, incredulously.

Twilight turned and strode onto the train imperiously. “There’s no harm in being prepared.”

“Yeah, no harm except to my aching back,” he muttered, but he kept his voice down so nopony would hear him. He dutifully loaded the books and papers before following them all aboard.

As they took their seats again, Cor noticed that Rainbow Dash was staring at him suspiciously. Cor glanced around uncomfortably. The train got under way and still she would not stop looking at him.

“Yes?” he asked slowly.

“You’re a prince.” She made it a statement rather than a question.

“So it would seem,” he said ruefully. “What about it?”

“We’ve been hanging around royalty for a couple of days now without knowing it, that’s what!” She threw her hooves in the air in exasperation. “You didn’t think it might have been important information to mention a little earlier?”

“Why would it matter to you what our titles are?” Cor responded aloofly.

“How could it not? Two princes and a, um, whatever Jason said he was, just down the street isn’t nothing.”

Jason chuckled. Cor just frowned and looked out the window.

“And you!” Dash rounded on Twilight and pointed an accusing hoof. “You seem to have been in on this the whole time. Did you plan on telling us some time?”

“I didn’t know about them being princes, honest,” she said, backing up defensively. “We were just doing some experiments. And they told me they were from another world…and that they weren’t actually ponies…Okay, so there was a bit that I didn’t tell you, but I swear I didn’t know about any titles until now.” She smiled apologetically.

Rainbow groaned and slumped back in the seat. Rarity took the break in the conversation to pursue her own curiosity.

“Being Royals, it must be quite thrilling with the excitement of the court, and the attention of other nobles, and servants waiting on your every word, and the celebrations and the parties and…” She trailed off in a squeal, tugging on her mane with both hooves.

“Actually,” Cor said. “I tend to spend as much time as I can out of the courts. They’re all just looking for a nod from someone higher up so they can get some advantage or position. I can’t stomach it.”

He looked out over the edge of the mountains to the forest spread out below them and sighed. He didn’t know which one it was but it didn’t matter. It was as inviting to his eyes as a soft bed after a long day’s work.

Rarity sat back in puzzlement. “How can you let such revelry pass you by?”

He looked at her in mild disgust before looking back out the window forlornly.

Jason leaned over. “Being a prince is somewhat of a sore point for him. He doesn’t like to talk about it and I’m not inclined to explain it for him. It’s best if you don’t talk about it around him.”

She tried to form a response several times but eventually gave up, unable to comprehend how Cor could feel that way.

“You know, Twilight,” Jason said, changing the subject. “I actually noticed that you hold a position of your own. For instance, you seem to be quite familiar with the Princess. Care to explain?”

“Oh, that?” Twilight said, genuinely surprised. “I’m so used to it that I tend to forget sometimes.” She sighed, reflecting on her memories. “I am the personal student of Princess Celestia. I have been since I was just a little filly. She said I was gifted beyond most Unicorns she had seen. She invited me to live in the Palace to learn under her and she’s taught me so much. I’ve been allowed to pursue any area of study I wished. Recently, though, I was given a new assignment. She told me to make friends in Ponyville and report to her on the Magic of Friendship. She trusts me completely and…”

Zacon snorted loudly. “Wait, did you say the ‘magic of friendship’?”

Twilight nodded slowly. “Yes. Why?”

Zacon’s face worked itself into an expression of skepticism moving toward resentment. “You’re not joking are you?”

“No. And to be completely honest, I didn’t always believe in it myself. Before I met my friends in Ponyville, I didn’t appreciate how important friends were.” She looked at each of the others and smiled affectionately. “Now that we’re linked by the Elements of Harmony, it couldn’t be more obvious that, for all of those years, I was missing out on the best thing in the world .”

Cor looked over, beginning to regain interest. “The Elements of Harmony?”

“That’s the six of us!” Pinkie piped up, pulling the mares into a tight embrace.

Applejack disengaged with a grin. “It’s not really us. The Elements are actually in those necklaces.”

“We just embody their traits,” Rarity said, also slipping free of Pinkie’s grasp.

“Yeah,” Rainbow said as she popped into the air and dove across the car to land with a flourish. She indicated the others in turn. “Rarity is Generosity, Pinkie’s Laughter, Applejack is Honesty, Fluttershy is Kindness, I’m Loyalty,…”

“And I,” Twilight interjected. “Represent the result of these fundamental traits of friendship in union: Magic.”

“We fit them so perfectly,” Pinkie squealed. “It’s like we were born for them.”

Twilight nuzzled Pinkie companionably and stepped away. Fluttershy stayed in the hug a moment more before realizing the others had moved off. She backed away bashfully. Pinkie just bounced into a seat with a giggle.

“Their power is one of the most potent in all of Equestria,” Twilight went on. “Even Discord, the Spirit of Chaos, whom Celestia couldn’t defeat alone, was no match for them.”

Zacon raised an eyebrow. “You six fought and beat a powerful spirit that your leader failed to defeat?”

“Yep!” Pinkie exclaimed. “It was easy-peasy. Right after we undid his grey-shaded opposite-of-how-you-normally-act touch-you-on-the-head-and-make-you-mean trick, it was sunny skies the whole way.” She paused thoughtfully. “Except for that chocolate milk rain from those cotton candy clouds. That was good stuff too and all, but I don’t think I’d call it sunny skies.” As she continued to ponder it, she started to drool. “Sweet, cottony goodness filled with rich chocolaty bliss.” She trailed off licking her lips.

Cor and Zacon exchanged an uneasy glance at this off-the-wall train of thought. The others watched her to see if she would go on. When she did not, Twilight took over again.

“Well, that’s mostly right. He was able to turn us on each other with his corrupting influence, but with a simple memory spell and the power of our friendship, we were able to pull together and turn the Elements on him.”

“And you six were just given this amazing power?” Cor asked skeptically.

“No,” Twilight shook her head. “We sort of found it.” She sighed. “This might be a long explanation.”

She looked between her audience members to assess their enthusiasm. Cor glanced out the window.

“It looks like we have some time. I’ll hear it.”

Twilight beamed. The other ponies sat back with amused expressions.

“Here she goes,” Applejack muttered.

Twilight began with a deep breath. “I was looking into a legend that foretold of the return of Nightmare Moon, the banished Princess of the Night. In Ponyville, where the Summer Sun Celebration was to be held on the night of her return, I met the ponies who would become my best friends. When Nightmare Moon appeared, we came together to try to stop her from bringing eternal night to all of Equestria. We traveled into the Everfree Forest to search for the Elements because my research said they were the only thing that could stop her.”

“We weren’t exactly friends going in, but as we faced the obstacles in our path, we grew closer. We found the ancient Palace of the Pony Sisters and where the Elements’ were held but we didn’t know how to activate them. I tried to do it on my own but Nightmare Moon came and attacked. When they came back to try to help me, I realized how glad I was to hear them, and that they had been displaying the Elements’ traits the whole time. When I realized this, I was able to activate the magic of the Elements and together, we used them to turn Nightmare Moon back into Princess Luna. We’ve been linked by them ever since.”

Cor blinked several times as the narrative came to an end. Zacon had lost interest half-way and was picking bits of grit out of his hooves. Jason had been held spellbound by the whole thing and had to shake himself back to the present when it ended.

“So you’re attuned to the Elements and are the only ones who can use them? And they’re the last line of defense for your country? I guess that makes you six some kind of special defense group.”

“I don’t know if I’d go that far,” Twilight shrugged. “We’re just doing what we can to protect Equestria.”

“At least that explains why they were all called in,” Cor whispered to Jason. “The Princess didn’t know if she’d need them to handle us.”

Jason considered the concept of having a weapon called “Harmony” turned on him and found it laughable. The sound of the whistle signaled their arrival. The train pulled into the station and the doors swung open, allowing the group to file out and onto the platform. As Spike passed her carrying the stack of notes, Twilight took one and looked through it critically. Fluttershy tapped Cor on the shoulder so lightly that he wasn’t sure at first that he’d felt anything. Once she had his attention, she spoke just above a whisper.

“I would love to continue our discussion but I really must get back to my animals. I need to get them all ready for the rain later tonight. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Not at all,” he said, shrugging. “If you find the time, I’d be glad to tell you more.”

Fluttershy took to the air and waved to them all as she headed home. Rainbow stared after her for a few seconds before making her own departure.

“That reminds me, I’ve got to get the weather team ready to get the rain together. See ya, and try to stay dry!” She zipped off without another word.

Applejack watched her go wistfully. “I suppose I ought ta get on down ta the farm an’ close up the shutters ‘fore the rain hits. I’ll see ya’ll later.”

“I too must part company,” Rarity said. “Your outfits are barely begun and won’t finish themselves. I was wondering though, if I might be able to take a few liberties with the overall esthetics of the designs. You did give very little detail on it.”

“Sure. We really don’t have much of a preference beyond what we’ve said.” Cor looked at Jason, who nodded his agreement.

“Wonderful. I’ll see you both when I’ve finished.”

As the three watched their pony friends head off across town, they noticed not all of their companions had departed. Twilight was still standing in the middle of the platform, scanning the pages of a journal, completely oblivious to her surroundings.

Spike set down the notes and tugged at her. “Uh, Twilight?”

“Yes Spike?” she said, looking up at last.

“Maybe you should get out of the way before reading.”

Spike pointed at the ponies stepping around her to board the train. Twilight smiled in apology and moved.

“What’s so interesting that you have to read it right now?” Spike stood on his toes to read the journal.

“I was just looking at the last set of statistics I gathered from the experiments. I think I might have just noticed something in them that will help us. I believe that, with a few adjustments and another simple test, we might just be ready to try this.”

“Try what?” Cor asked.

“To send you three home. That’s the whole reason we’re doing all of this, right?” She gestured at the pile of notes Spike was preparing to haul back to the library.

“Oh, yeah. Of course,” Cor said sheepishly.

“So should we get going?” Jason asked.

“It will take a little while to get it all set up.” Twilight thought for a moment. “Let’s say, an hour from now? Be at the library then and we’ll give it a shot.”

“Sounds good,” Jason smiled. He waved as she trotted off. “Well, we seem to have an hour on our…” He paused to chuckle. “Hooves. What’ll it be?”

“Food,” Zacon said simply.

Cor nodded grudgingly. “We haven’t had anything decent to eat all day. I’m with the big guy.”

“We’re about to be sent home and you’re only thinking about the last time you ate?” Jason gave them both a reproving look. “We might never have another chance to see this place. I think we should make the most of it.”

Pinkie Pie, who had remained under their radar until that moment, threw a hoof around his shoulder.

“I agree! There’s so much to see and so little stopping you from seeing it!” She made a wide gesture with her other hoof that encompassed the entire town. “I mean, the lake, the streets, the woods, the flowers, the houses, those blades of grass; it’s all just waiting for you to get right up close and stare at it!”

Jason took her enthusiasm in stride. “Exactly! Come on Cor, you know this place is a welcome break from our troubles back home. Don’t you think we can spare a moment to soak it in?”

“I’ve seen enough of this candy-colored world already,” Zacon growled. “It’s beginning to hurt my eyes. I’m used to hard light and sharp color. This place makes me feel like I’ll go soft if I stare at it too long.”

“There are lots of colors of candy so I suppose the world has some of them in it, but I don’t see how that’s a problem.” Pinkie tilted her head to one side. “It actually makes me want something sweet to eat more than anything. And how can it hurt? Hard and sharp are good but soft and light hurt? What kind of logic is that?” Pinkie shook her head at him in disappointment. “Anyway, I have some serious business to attend to.”

“What would that be?” Jason asked.

“This is going to be one fantasti-super-pendous rainstorm and I can’t afford to miss it! I need to map out all of the likely spots in town so that I can tell where the best puddles are going to form. After that, I’ll have some serious splashing on my hooves and I have to be ready. Bye!”

She bounced off the platform and into town, leaving Jason and Cor behind in a state of bemusement.

“Well,” Zacon said, as the muscles in his jaw unclenched themselves. “At least she’ll be busy. There’ll be less chance of running into her.”

Turning back to Jason, Cor tried to reestablish their conversation.

“I understand what you’re saying, and I admit I’ve enjoyed their company.” Cor put a hoof to his chin in consideration. “But this isn’t a vacation. This is their world and they’ve been more than hospitable toward our little intrusion. We need to go home. It’s been days after all. The others must be worried about us by now.”

“We’re not going to be any slower getting back just because we spend our remaining time enjoying this place. Besides, there’s food at home.”

Jason gave Zacon a meaningful look. Zacon stepped up and put his face right up against Jason’s.

“No. Food now, home later.”

“Okay,” Jason sighed. “You two can just go off and spend your time eating. I’m going to have one last look around the town.”

Cor and Zacon left the platform and headed toward an eatery they’d seen earlier that day. Jason picked a random direction and started walking.

PreviousChapters Next