• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 1,189 Views, 27 Comments

Innocent - Puzzle Piece



A ferocious warrior. A solemn soldier. A calculating archer. Their skills and violent history give them mixed feelings in this world of peaceful ponies. But the horizon is darkening with danger. Equestria’s peace may soon be its greatest weakness.

  • ...
4
 27
 1,189

PreviousChapters Next
Act I: Chapter One: On the Wrong Side of the Bed

The first thought he had was “Ouch”.

The dirt had done little to cushion his landing. He kept his eyes closed for a moment to let himself recover from the impact. The pain was dull and throbbing and most of it was concentrated around his right shoulder. He wasn’t entirely sure how, but he had been sent flying and, judging by the tickling sensation he felt on the back of his neck, was now lying in a patch of grass. He wasn’t aware of any grasses growing this far underground.

Jason’s eyes flew open. He could feel grass on the back of his neck. His armor was gone! He tried to scramble to his feet but slipped and fell back. Looking around for the first time, he found he was actually above ground. He lay at the end of an earthen skid mark in a grassy ditch beside a dirt road in what appeared to be a temperate climate enjoying the height of summer. He also found that he had four feet. Dumb shock kept his eyes locked on the hooves that had tripped him up. He was a dun-coated horse!

His ears twitched at the sound of voices approaching. The first was so soft that he could barely catch the words. The other sounded rich and cultured. Both were female.

“I thought I heard the noise over here.”

“Are you sure? I don’t see any…Good heavens! There in the ditch!”

Jason stumbled upright as quickly as he could and faced the speakers. They were both horses. Ponies actually, he corrected himself. One had a pale yellow coat with a bright pink mane and tail, and teal eyes. The other had a snow white coat and luxurious royal purple mane and tail, and blue eyes. Their somewhat unusual color wasn’t what made him stare however. The first was a Pegasus and the second was a Unicorn. It took him a short moment to clear the shocked expression from his face.

They were just emerging from a thin forest on his left, less than thirty feet away. He himself was standing steps from the road on his right, which curved away ahead of him, stretching around the trees and out of sight. Glancing behind him, he could see it continue into the distant hilly countryside. He took a few shaky steps backward and nearly fell again. The two ponies rushed to him.

“Oh, you poor dear,” the Unicorn said. “You don’t look at all well. Here, let us help you.” She came to his side in an effort to steady him.

The Pegasus peered closely at Jason, noting the cuts and scrapes up and down his right side and coming to rest on his shoulder. “Oh my, that’s a very bad bruise you have. Please, let us take you somewhere to get that taken care of.”

Jason tried to back away again and stammered that he was alright, but they wouldn’t hear it.

“We simply cannot allow you to go hobbling off in such a condition when it is within our ability to assist you.” The Unicorn began attempting to guide Jason out of the ditch.

“I’d rather not have to insist,” the Pegasus said with genuine concern. “But you really should have somepony look at that bruise.”

“No. I’m not really that hurt.” Jason turned to leave. It was at that moment that the dull pain turned to a sharp stinging. It forced him to come up short with a stifled gasp and a grimace.

“Now see here,” the Unicorn said. “You cannot leave in that kind of shape. Come with us back to town and we’ll take care of your injuries.”

Looking out ahead of him, Jason saw only wide open hills and woodland. No signs of habitation. His shoulder twinged and the cuts smarted in the open air. Town was sounding pretty good all of a sudden. With a sigh, he turned back to them.

“Very well, since you’re so insistent, I’ll come with you.”

In a very businesslike manner, the Unicorn began steering Jason up the road while the Pegasus followed.

“I am Rarity, by the way. And this is Fluttershy,” the Unicorn said briskly. A quiet ‘hello’ from the Pegasus accompanied the introductions. “And what, may I ask, is your name?”

With a glance at the other, he addressed the Unicorn. “My name is Jason Faircastle.”

“Hmm. I don’t think I know that name. Are you from around Ponyville?”

Jason hesitated a moment. “No…I’m not from around here at all. What country is this?”

Rarity glanced at him sharply. “You didn’t hit your head, did you? Don’t worry. We’ll take you straight to the hospital.”

“No! I just don’t know how I got here. I mean…” He realized that what he was saying was making him look crazy and what he felt like saying would make him look crazier. He took a deep breath and tried again. “Look, I need to talk to someone who has a good grasp of magic.” Jason figured Unicorns and Pegasi wouldn’t react with alarm on the subject of magic, so he decided to dive straight in.

“Whatever for?” The Unicorn raised an eyebrow.

“I just need some questions answered. That’s all.” He saw them exchange a concerned glance and added, “And I’m not that hurt, really.”

“Well, if you insist.” Rarity said, though she remained skeptical.

Fluttershy spoke up slightly. “If you’re looking for somepony who’s good with magic, I’m sure our friend Twilight could help.”

“Of course she could! We could take you to her. If you’re sure you’re alright that is.”

“Yes, I’m sure,” he said, trying to keep hold of his patience. Despite his altered and admittedly less durable form, he was not seriously hurt. He wished they’d just drop it. “And I’d very much like to meet your friend.”

With that, they started off again. Jason took the opportunity to study the scenery. The sky was a flawless blue with tufts of pure white cloud hanging lazily about. It was just after midday and the sun was slowly descending from its zenith. Its rays beamed down on his coat, making it comfortably warm. The emerald green hills leading up to purple mountains seemed sculpted by a master hand. It didn’t have the magic-woven beauty of his own homeland but there was a pristine, hand-nurtured quality to this place that reminded him of it none-the-less. As he turned his gaze all about to take in his surroundings, his spotted something that he had missed before.

On the flanks of both of his escorts were small pictures. Rarity had three diamonds while Fluttershy had three pink butterflies. As discreetly as he could, he looked back at himself. Sure enough, he found that his own flanks were similarly adorned: Three curved lines of varying shades of gray that resembled a picture of sound waves. He also found that his tail and mane were the same untidy black locks he’d had before. He chuckled to himself at that.

He was just pondering what those marks could mean when Rarity announced, “Here we are! Welcome to Ponyville!”

Jason glanced about. He didn’t note anything particularly magnificent but he did like what he saw. Most of the buildings were simple two or three story cottages and had thatched roofs. Flower boxes adorned nearly every window and small gardens of flowers and vegetables fronted many homes. The roads were just well trodden earth and didn’t have a defined border. Several trees could be seen throughout the town and the natural hills of the surrounding countryside persisted within the town as well. All in all, it seemed to be in perfect harmony with the land.

The three continued through the streets toward the northwestern side of the town, passing a building that appeared to be made out of candy. Laughter trilled through the open door as they came near. Glancing inside, Jason saw an entirely pink pony and two young fillies, a Unicorn and a Pegasus, rolling across the floor together, playing gleefully. Rarity and Fluttershy exchanged a look of amusement and continued on.

Many other ponies were in the streets. Some were Unicorns and a Pegasus or two had taken to the ground to rest their wings, but most were normal ponies. They went about daily business in a cheerful manner. The air was filled with the sounds of pleasant conversation and the warm greetings of friends. Rarity and Fluttershy were the subjects of several such greetings. Rarity was profuse in her well-wishes, contrasting with Fluttershy’s hesitant and brief returns that were so soft that she could barely be heard. When the passers-by caught sight of Jason, however, their pronouncements cut off and were replaced by mutters and uncertain glances.

He looked himself over self-consciously. His left side was clean and clear of detritus but his right side was peppered with dirt and grass and looked like a patchwork of cuts and scrapes. He wasn’t bleeding but the cuts were very raw. The bruise wasn’t any better either. It covered his shoulder down to the elbow and spread partway onto his ribs, causing the whole area to look like a dark stain under his coat. It stung and throbbed but he continued to ignore it resolutely. He must appear ridiculous in this state; walking beside a radiant Unicorn and an unassuming and graceful Pegasus while he looked like he had just climbed out of a thorn bush. Rarity began to notice the unfavorable attention and it was obvious that she was uncomfortable with it.

At last she turned aside.

“I do wish you had let us take you somewhere to get you sorted out. You’ll forgive me for saying so, but you’re quite a mess. I hesitate even now to present you to Twilight in such a condition. You wouldn’t reconsider…?” She paused hopefully, but Jason shook his head.

“I’d rather get there as soon as possible. She will just have to excuse my appearance.”

Rarity clearly wanted to push the subject, but, after a moment of strained silence, she sighed in resignation and started off again.

Coming to the end of the street, they found themselves in an open part of town. In the center was a rather large tree that had been converted into a dwelling. Windows protruded from odd angles and an observation platform was perched atop the highest branches.

“Well, this is the library. Twilight is in charge of it,” Rarity said as they approached the door. “She has been ever since she moved to Ponyville. She is one of the most dedicated bookworm I’ve ever met. If it's in a book, she can probably recite it from memory. She’s also one of the most talented Unicorns in town and I would not say such things lightly.” Rarity flourished her mane in a less than subtle attempt to draw attention to her own horn.

“Many thanks for your help,” Jason said with a short bow to each of them. “I hope I haven’t been…any…um…trouble.” Jason had reached the door and was now at a loss for how he was to open it. He stood perplexed for a moment, trying not to look down at his lack of thumbs, before simply knocking.

Muffled voices exchanged words behind the door. After a short moment, the door opened to reveal a small, scaled creature. It stood on its hind legs and held the door with the claw on its foreleg. Its body scales were purple and the spines on its back and scales on its belly were green. The creature blinked several times at the sight of the disorderly pony before him. Then, looking around him at his escorts, asked, “Can I help you?”

“You may, sir. I’m here to speak with Twilight.” Jason could tell from its voice that this creature was male.

“Uh, sure,” he said, glancing at Jason. “Rarity? Fluttershy? Did you need something too?”

“Oh, no, Spike. We were only helping Mr. Faircastle here to find his way. Good luck to you, and I hope the rest of your day is more pleasant.” Rarity waved to Jason as she started back the way they had come. “Now Fluttershy, we were just about to set up our picnic. Shall we?”

Fluttershy hesitated for a moment, looking as if she would say something, but she only left a quick smile in parting. She cantered off after Rarity. Spike watched them go before turning fully to Jason.

“So, what do you want with Twilight?”

“I’d rather share that with just her, actually.” Jason said.

“Oh?” Spike folded his arms. “And why is it so secret?”

“Spike,” a voice scolded with a hint of amusement. “Stop interrogating them and let them in.”

Spike grumbled something about “strange ponies” but stepped aside to allow Jason to enter. The room was more or less round, being the hollowed interior of the tree. It was roomy, almost twenty feet in diameter. Nearly every wall had been carved into book shelves and almost all of them were full of meticulously arranged books. Books were stacked in neat piles on the floor near the writing desks that stood at intervals around the walls as well. Almost every available surface was occupied by books. A curved staircase on the far side ascended to an upper level. A door by the stairs stood open, leading to a back room. In that door stood a purple Unicorn.

Her mane was a much deeper shade than her fairer coat and a pair of highlights ran down one side, to be mirrored in her tail; one pink, the other a plain purple. Jason noted that she had purple eyes as well. A six-pointed starburst mark could be seen on her flank. Jason’s first impression was of the night sky just after sunset.

“You know you don’t need to knock…oh, where’s Rarity? I thought I heard her?” the Unicorn who must have been Twilight said, casting about for her friend.

“Rarity and Fluttershy were here, but they left,” Spike answered as he picked up a stack of books and started sorting them back onto the shelves. “They said they were just helping this pony find you.”

“I see.” Her eyes swept his bruised side. “And what happened to you? You look like you fell off a cliff, Mr…?”

“Faircastle. Jason Faircastle. And I’m fine.”

Twilight shrugged. “If you say so. My name is Twilight Sparkle. What can I do for you?”

“I was wondering if I could ask a few questions. They concern some advanced magic and you came with the highest recommendations.”

“Did I? Well Jason, I’d be glad to try to help. What are your questions?”

Jason noticed Spike stalling in the back of the room, obviously trying to listen in.

“Could we discuss this in private,” Jason shifted uncomfortably and nodded in Spike’s direction. “It’s on a somewhat sensitive subject.”

Twilight followed his gaze.

“Spike is my assistant and has my full confidence. He can be trusted with anything you have to say,” she said solemnly. “Plus, if I need to look something up to answer your questions, he’ll be able to help.”

Jason caught the smug look on the creature’s face and did his best to ignore it.

“Very well. It’s just that what I’m going to say may sound crazy. But please, listen to me before thinking I’m insane.”

Twilight raised her eyebrows in apprehension. “Alright, I’ll try.”

Jason took a breath to steady himself. He was about to lay all his cards on the table. It was a risky move at the best of times. If this went poorly, he would be in serious trouble. On the other hand, he needed help. These two were his best option.

“I have been teleported here somehow and don’t know how to get back home,” he said slowly, trying to choose his words carefully.

“Well that doesn’t sound like much of a magical problem. I’ve got a map over here.” Twilight started toward one of the desks. “You can use it to get your bearings. Then, I’d be glad to help you plan for the journey back.”

Jason shook his head. “No. I need more than a map. You see, I believe that I have been teleported here from a different world.”

Twilight stopped and stared at him. “A different world?” she repeated, confused. “Why would you think that?”

Jason glanced at Spike, who was now staring at him as well, his expression blank. Jason sighed and braced for their reaction.

“I wasn’t a pony where I come from.”

He could almost hear Twilight’s eyes widen. Then Spike exploded into laughter.

“That’s a good one! You had me convinced there for a second that this was serious. And I thought Rainbow Dash was the prankster in town.” Spike started rolling across the floor as he laughed.

When Jason decided to open his eyes again, Twilight hadn’t moved except for her mouth dropping open slightly. Jason gave Spike a disapproving look. Twilight shook her head before responding.

“What? I didn’t hear that right. Did you say that you’re not a pony?”

“Yes. I was not originally a pony, though I seem to be one now.”

“I see how that would be an advanced magical problem.” Twilight took an unsteady step backward.

Spike sat up from the floor suddenly. “Wait a minute! You mean you believe him? But the whole thing is ridiculous!”

“I did say that it would sound that way, didn’t I?” Jason responded wistfully.

Twilight shot Spike a look to silence him. “And I said that I would try to deal with it. If you are being honest, I’ll do what I can, but I really have no idea about ‘other worlds’.”

“I see.” Jason felt his ears droop in disappointment. If it had been any other time, he would have found that fascinating. “I don’t suppose you would know where I can find someone who does?”

“No, not really. But I will check every text I have. If it’s in one of these books, I’ll find it.” Twilight thought for a moment, then continued excitedly to herself. “This would make a great study. If I could unlock the secrets of reaching other worlds…I can’t even begin to imagine the kind of discoveries that would follow!” She clapped her hooves together. “I’ll get started right away,” she said with uncontained enthusiasm and leapt toward the nearest shelf.

Jason blinked at the suddenness of the Unicorn’s energy. “I thank you for your willingness to help me. If there is anything that I can do to hurry the process…”

Spike walked over and interrupted him with a whisper. “It’s best if you just leave her to it. When she gets this up about a project, others trying to help would only get in the way. By the way, I’m still not totally convinced that you’re telling the truth. If you weren’t a pony, what were…?”

“Spike!” Twilight called out. “I need you to grab every volume of Transcendent Movement and Meta-Physical Shifting.”

“Never mind,” he said, and scurried off to fetch the assigned tomes.

Jason looked around for another moment but couldn’t find a way to make himself useful. He shrugged and turned to leave. That was when he was re-confronted with another problem; the door. He turned back and tried to keep his embarrassment out of his voice.

“Twilight? I have one more question.”

She didn’t look up from the page she was on when she responded. “Uh huh, what is it?”

Jason scuffed a hoof on the floor. “How do you, um, open the door?”

“What do you mean? It’s not locked. Just open it.” Twilight put down one book and turned to another.

Jason glanced at the door and then at his hooves. “I don’t know how.”

“Excuse me? You don’t know how to open a door?” She turned away from the shelves and looked at him at last.

“I haven’t been a pony for more than a day. I don’t know how to use these things.” He shook a hoof at her.

She was silent for a moment. “You could use your horn.”

Jason paused long enough to put two and two together. Then he slowly looked up. Sure enough, he could see the tip of a horn above his forehead. He shook his head experimentally and could feel its weight. He must have been too caught up in everything else going on around him to notice.

Suddenly being a different creature will do that, he thought wryly.

“So how does it work?”

“It’s telekinesis. You just envision the object you want to move moving and will it to happen. Like this.” A faint purple glow surrounded her horn and the same aura encircled a nearby book. The book drifted through the air and hovered beside her. “You concentrate on the object and what you want it to do and then focus the magic of your horn to make it happen.” She pointed her horn and the book followed its direction.

Jason watched intently and then tried it himself. After only a few attempts caused various items to flop around, he had objects dancing in the air around him. The tan glow of his horn brightened the room as he practiced on anything not nailed to the floor. He paid special attention to how different kinds of objects reacted to his influence. In general, heavier things were harder to move, but mostly it was as simple as Twilight had said.

When he was satisfied with his abilities, he put everything back in its proper place and turned to Twilight to find her gaping at him.

“You said that you didn’t know how to use magic,” she breathed. “That was…how did you do all of that?”

Jason shuffled his hooves. “I said I didn’t know how to use this horn. I actually know a fair bit of magic. Besides, I’m a quick learner. Once I understood how it was done, I just needed to get a feel for it.”

“I suppose.” She paused for a moment. “Well, if that’s all the help you need with that, I’ll get back to tackling your first problem. Check back in a day or so and we’ll see where we stand. Sound good?”

“Yes. And thank you again for your assistance.” He bowed to her as he prepared to leave.

He turned to the door and opened it easily with his newfound skill. As he closed it behind him, he could hear the sound of Spike scuttling about, carrying out Twilight’s instructions. Jason walked out into the street and looked around.

Other ponies could be seen up and down the street going about their business. Jason watched them for a moment before realizing he had no idea where to go now. He knew nothing of the surrounding area and no one who lived there.

Should have looked at that map, he thought to himself with a glance back at the library. I’ll just have to walk around looking like I know what I’m doing.

He had just taken the first step on his chosen course when he was hit from the left by what felt like a soft cannon ball. Its momentum carried them both to the ground in a heap. Trying to get his breath back, Jason saw a small scooter on its side next to him, its wheels still spinning madly. Something moved on top of him and he heard a small but plucky voice.

“Ow. That was some landing.”

Two more distant voices joined the first. One was high and squeaked occasionally. The other had an accent to it that seemed familiar to Jason, but he couldn’t place it.

“Scootaloo!”

“Are ya alright, Scootaloo?”

Jason was able to get his head around far enough to see that a young Pegasus was sitting up next to him. Her coat was orange and her mane and tail were magenta. Her pale pink eyes blinked about while she rubbed her head with one hoof. She noticed that she was lying on another pony and sprang to her hooves instantly.

“I’m so sorry! Are you okay?” She looked around as if worried that the spectacle would draw unwanted attention.

Jason eased himself up. “I’m fine. What were you doing anyway?”

“Just some tricks on my scooter. I didn’t mean to lose control like that,” she said apologetically.

Scootaloo’s companions came up alongside her breathlessly. One had a pale yellow coat and hot pink mane and tail. Her eyes were orange and she wore a large pink bow on the back of her head. The other’s coat was white and had a mane and tail of two shades of light pink. Her eyes were a faint green and a small horn could be seen beneath her mane.

The Unicorn spoke first. “You didn’t get hurt did you, Scootaloo…or hurt him?”

“No,” she responded.

The other circled around Jason. After looking him up and down once, she looked back at Scootaloo. “You could get a Cutie Mark fer demolition derby.” Then she addressed Jason, “Did Scootaloo really do all that to ya?”

Jason swept his right side with telekinesis, removing the dirt and grass. “No. I found myself in a wrestling match with the ground earlier today. I ended up on top, but lost all the same,” he laughed dryly.

“Well, alright then,” she giggled. “Say, I’ve never seen a Cutie Mark like that before. It kind of looks like the lines they put on drawin’s to show that they’re movin’ around. What does it mean? How did ya get it?”

The Unicorn and Pegasus joined in with their own chorus.

“Yes, tell us!”

“What special talent is it for?”

Jason began backing away slowly as they crowded in on him. “My…um…Cutie Mark?” He cast about frantically for an escape route.

So much for looking like I knew what I was doing.

“Apple Bloom! Quit harassin’ everypony you run into and get back to the farm before it’s time for dinner.”

Jason sought the speaker and found that she was an orange-coated pony whose blonde mane and tail were tied back in a thick braid. A wide-brimmed hat was perched behind her ears and a cart loaded with barrels filled to their rims with apples was hitched up behind her.

The Unicorn whispered something to Scootaloo that made the other laugh. Then the three of them ran off together. Jason’s rescuer stepped out of the cart harness and approached.

“Sorry if my sister and her friends gave you any trouble. They can get a little zealous when they’re doin’ their crusadin’. I’m Applejack. You new ‘round Ponyville?”

“It’s that obvious?” Jason grimaced.

“Not quite,” she smiled at his embarrassment. “It’s only, I know everypony in town and I don’t reckon I’ve seen you before. Where are you from?”

Jason put a hoof through his mane. “You know, I’m not sure how to explain where it is. Far away, I think.”

“You think?” Applejack chuckled and then continued solemnly. “You didn’t run away, did you?”

“Not exactly. I would go back if I could.” He sighed. Then he added hastily, “Not that I don’t think this place is fine.”

“It’s alright. I understand. I’ve done my share of wanderin’.” She glanced at the cuts and scuffs that marred his coat. “And it looks like the roads have treated you to more roughin’ than they ever gave me. Tell me, ya’ll got a place to stay?”

Jason’s gaze swept the surrounding streets in what he hoped wasn’t a look of complete dejection. This conversation was forcing him to take in his situation in full. His world was someplace else and he wasn’t guaranteed a way back. He was an alien creature in a world that he knew next to nothing about.

“No, I don’t have much of anything here.”

“Now listen here,” she said softly, laying a hoof on Jason’s shoulder. “You're not alone. Whatever you're goin’ through, it’s a passin’ thing. I promise it’ll turn right in the end.” Her smile coaxed a smaller response from his lips. “Now if you're needin’ a roof over your head and a place to rest your hooves, ya’ll are welcome to stay at Sweet Apple Acres.”

“I don’t think I could impose.” Jason wasn’t sure why he was backing away from the offer but he still felt uncomfortable with the situation.

“Nonsense!” she said, swatting the air with a hoof. “Why, not only would it be mu pleasure to extend the best of Ponyville’s hospitality to a visitor, but you look like you could use a helping hoof.”

“I just don’t think I could accept charity.” He wondered at his own deflections of this generosity. He was taking his self-reliance too seriously, he knew.

Applejack rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “Well, you look like a fit stallion. There’s always work needin’ doin’ down on the farm. You could pitch in and call it rent.”

She let the offer hang between them for his consideration. He had no more excuses and he did need some place to go. Shoving his reluctance aside, Jason voiced his agreement. Before he thought against it, however, he had stuck his right forelimb out in an effort to shake on it. Too late he remembered his lack of hands. But then Applejack surprised him by taking his hoof in her own without hesitation. He felt it wrap around his and grip just behind the heel. After a firm shake, she went to retrieve her cart. Jason looked his hoof over curiously. His thoughts were centered on the way she had been able to grasp his hoof almost like a hand would.

“So that’s how they make it work,” he said to himself. He then followed Applejack as she pulled her cart down the street and into a market square.

They unloaded its contents beside a collection of barrels filled with other assorted goods. Jason used his horn for the first few but quickly discovered the strain of such heavy lifting. He transferred the rest manually. Applejack said nothing about his change of method. After the cart was empty, Applejack exchanged some form of currency with another mare and wheeled her cart away.

“It’s quite a party they’re plannin’,” she said when she caught Jason looking back. “A filly got her Cutie Mark the other day.”

Applejack glanced at the sun. It was settling low on the horizon. The elongated shadows spilled across their path, reminding Jason of how long it had been since he had eaten. The sound of his stomach growling wasn’t missed by his companion.

“I suppose we best get back home before dark. I’d get an earful if I were late for dinner after reminding my sister about bein’ on time.”

Applejack stopped short suddenly. She looked at Jason blankly for a moment and then burst out laughing. When she had calmed herself once more, she answered Jason's perplexed expression.

“I just realized I don’t even know your name.”

Jason blinked once. “Oh, right. Sorry about that. I’m Jason Faircastle.”

“Pleased to meet you Jason. And don’t be sorry. I was the one who forgot to ask.” She chuckled again and gestured for him to follow.

“I was wondering if I might ask a few questions of my own while we walk,” Jason began as they turned down the road leading out of town.

~*~*~

“Most ponies don’t realize it but we’ve got more than just apples in these Acres. We grow corn and hay and we collect eggs and milk too,” Applejack continued as they walked up the lane to her family’s farm. “It’s just, our apples are so delicious that ponies forget about the rest.”

“Your name is well earned then?” Jason said genially.

“I don’t mean to brag too much,” she chuckled. “But we have the best darned apples in all Equestria. And it’s not just the apples; we also make lots of other goodies with ‘em.”

“Like pies?”

“Yeah,” she smiled at some inside joke. “That’s one of ‘em.”

Apples hung thick from the trees on either side of the road, glistening in the setting sun. The wind played gently through the branches, filling the air with the peaceful rustle of leaves and the scent of the fruit. The entire world seemed to be at rest. Jason breathed it in and found himself thinking of what it would be like to live in this world. The ebb and flow of the life around him was speaking to the soul of his heritage in ways that he hadn’t felt since…

“…in fact, my family’s been growin’ and sellin’ apples since we moved to these parts. It was only after we settled in that Ponyville was founded.”

Jason realized that Applejack had been talking through his reverie. He tried to regain his grip on the conversation.

“If your family’s been around here so long, you must know all of the local vendors. Could you explain the services I might find around town?”

Jason made sure to listen this time as his companion talked through bakeries and furniture merchants. He’d been trying to learn everything he could about this town as they traveled and Applejack seemed perfectly happy to oblige. Her firsthand knowledge was obvious and Jason counted himself lucky to have run into her.

She mentioned a market square that sported a wide variety of wares from fruits and vegetables to books and cooking utensils. There was a spa, a scattering of restaurants, a fashion boutique owned by a close friend, and several other trades selling various commodities. She finished by describing the local postal service and train station. Through it all, Jason did his best to match up what he was told with what he’d seen in town.

With poetic timing, they found themselves at the edge of the farmstead the same moment Applejack finished speaking. Situated roughly in the center of the orchards, it was bordered by a white fence just as the path to it had been. Besides the house itself, there was a row of hen houses, fields of grains, and a large barn. Shadows were draped across it all as the sun disappeared behind the hills.

As they made their way to the house, a bell rang out. On the porch stood an aged pony with a green coat. Whatever color her mane had once been had long since faded to silver.

“Supper time! It ain’t gonna get any warmer!” she shouted out as she rang the triangle that hung at the edge of the steps.

Applejack and Jason trotted into the glow of the lamp light spilling through the front door.

“Hiya granny,” Applejack greeted.

The old mare was about to respond warmly when she spied Jason. She mouthed a few words before finding the ones she wanted.

“I see we have a guest. Well, don’t you two stand out here waitin’ to freeze your tails off. Come on inside.”

Applejack unhitched herself from the cart and entered the dwelling without hesitation, followed by her elder. Jason stopped on the threshold. The grandmother, as Applejack had called her, was busing dishes to a table from the kitchen, aided by the younger sister Jason had seen in town. Applejack was adding a place for him in the table arrangements. As he stepped inside, he heard hoofsteps behind him. Turning, he found a stallion of exceptionally sturdy build gazing at him curiously.

“Hey there Big Mac,” Applejack greeted. “You don’t mind that we’ve got a guest, do you?”

“Nope,” he said, giving Jason a sideways glance on his way past him.

His coat was a deep red and his mane was copper. He was almost a foot taller than Jason as well. He didn’t remove the plowing collar he wore. When they sat down to eat, Jason noted that most of the food was oats, hay, and the like, with an assortment of apple-based products. He tried a little of everything and found that he liked the taste of most of it. He chalked it up to being a pony.

Introductions were made all around. Applejack’s sister was, of course, Apple Bloom, her grandmother was called Granny Smith and the stallion was her brother, Big Macintosh. Jason introduced himself but didn’t volunteer any information about his background. They didn’t ask either, for which he was grateful. It meant he was spared the trouble of thinking up a lie.

As they ate, Applejack talked about her day and she and Big Mac discussed the challenges of various farm functions. Her sister, meanwhile, began talking up a whirlwind at her grandmother about what she and her friends did all afternoon. From what Jason could understand, they were actively trying to acquire their ‘Cutie Marks’ by performing as many activities as possible. From the grandmother’s reactions, Jason gathered she didn’t entirely approve of this approach. Inevitably, conversation was directed at Jason. It started with the youngster.

“So could you tell me about your Cutie Mark now since you didn’t have time in town?” She leaned toward him excitedly. “Like what is it for?”

“Well,” he began, thinking about what he’d learned from Applejack on the subject. “I suppose it’s for my natural talent with speed. You mentioned that it looked like animated movement earlier? I’m known for my agility, so that makes sense.”

“You don’t say,” Applejack joined in. “Not too many Unicorns who’d take up the more physical side of things. Most like to stick with their magic.”

“I prefer to spread my talent over a wide range. I believe in being prepared for as many situations as possible. Thus, I’ve learned something about, well, just about everything I can.”

“You don’t think you could help me find my special talent, do you?” The filly was now practically jumping on top of the table in her enthusiasm. “And my friends’ too?”

Jason thought for a moment. “No, I think that a special talent can, and more to the point, should only be found by one’s self.”

She looked more than a little let down by that and dropped the subject. Dinner was finished and Jason offered to help with the dishes but they declined, saying he was their guest. When the meal was taken care of, Applejack announced that it was time for bed and showed Jason to a room. At the door, Jason took her aside.

“I hope you didn’t think it rude that I told next to nothing about myself. It’s just that my situation…”

Applejack cut him off with the shake of a hoof. “You don’t need to explain nothin’. Whatever troubles you’ve got ain’t mine to be pryin’ into.”

Jason nodded his thanks. “I hope it isn’t a bother letting me stay here.”

“Don’t you fret none. If you’d ever seen our family reunions, you’d know a few guests are no trouble at all. Ya’ll can stay ‘til you’ve sorted things out. G‘night now.”

Jason backed into his room, bowing respectfully, and shut the door. The room was fair sized. The bed was plush and had a handmade-looking quilt. A night stand and a small table with a lamp were the only other furnishings. The single window looked out over the corn fields. He walked over and gazed up at the moon. According to Applejack, at this very moment, it was being moved through the heavens by one of the Alicorn Princesses of this land. Princess Luna, she had called her. The sun was raised by Princess Celestia. They did this every day and night without fail. Even the weather itself was controlled directly by trained Pegasi.

Jason couldn’t help but feel a sort of bond with creatures who showed that kind of commitment to nature. He sat for nearly an hour, just watching the moon’s slow progress through the sky. When he did wander off to sleep, his thoughts consisted of nothing but respect for these ponies.

PreviousChapters Next