• Published 4th Sep 2013
  • 860 Views, 39 Comments

Amnesia and Love. - Shimmering Honor



When Shimmering Honor Found himself in free fall, without any memories, he goes on an quest to find himself and to start a new life.

  • ...
5
 39
 860

Just a Walk in the Canyon...

Chapter 8, Just a walk in the canyon…

Three days… That's how long she had been out cold… three bucking days… and now it was the fourth day, the fourth sunrise and SHE is still out cold…

HOW!

She didn’t take that much of a hit, did she?” These thoughts had been circling Shimmering Honors mind for the past couple of days since the train wreck, he had been carrying her on his back the whole time.

His injuries were easily fixed, he had checked the wreck and found a few medical supplies, he had tied his wing into a splint to help make sure it healed right. He had disinfected any cuts, he had checked himself over and was happy.

Midnight Storm was worse off, she had broken a leg and a wing, so he quickly splinted them up and then got to work on the cuts…

That was three days ago, he had been carrying her unconscious form for that long, he had tied her up at night, but then untied her while carrying her…

As he walked, the canyon just kept going and going… he couldn’t see a way up, or a way out, the walls towered over him.

I need to get out this dam Canyon, find the railway and follow that.. yeah… that's what I need to do...find a way out…

“Dammit, now I am repeating myself...I am sure I said that yesterday.” He said aloud. What happened next caught him off guard.

“You did… and the day before… and while you sleep.” Came a Trottingham mare’s voice. Shimmering Honor looked around, but he was the only one in the canyon..

“WHO SAID THAT!” He shouted.

“Hay, not so loud!!” Something shifted on his back as the voice returned.

“You're awake…” Shimmering looked over his shoulder to see Midnight Storm staring at him.

“Well yeah...how can I not be with you talking to yourself.”

“Oh, I am sooo sorry, and what’s with the Trottingham accent, you had the one all the other ponies had back at Appleoosa?” Shimmering asked.

“Because I am from Trottingham… I put on that accent so I could intimidate them more… do you really think my normal accent is scary enough?” She asked, now Shimmering thought about it, her accent made her sound so sweet and peaceful, it was hard to believe she was a gang leader not the other day.

“I see your point… so how long have you been awake?”

“Every night and a few times each day.”

“Why did you not say anything?”

“No reason too.”

“Well, you could have said something, I was worried I would go insane...you hungry?”

“Yeah...you got any food?”

“Nope...you?”

“What do you think?”

“Thought so.” Shimmering's head dropped, how could he keep going… he hadn’t eaten in three days, he hadn’t had anything to drink and he was oh so tired…

“How long has it been since we jumped?”

“I woke up and started walking about three days ago, how long I was out is another matter.” Just then a rustling could be heard from a bush..Shimmering lowers Midnight to the ground and goes for his revolver.

He draws it and points it toward the bush…

The rustling noise increases.

A cold sweat has formed on Shimmering’s brow…

The noise gets louder and more frantic

CLICK... Shimmering pulls back the hammer on the revolver and aims towards the bush…

“Who’s there, come out with your hooves up!” He commands…

Suddenly, the noise stops, out jumps one of the most unexpected thing…

“A RABBIT...I GOT SCARED OF A DAM RABBIT!!!” He shouted as he carefully lowered the hammer back into its safe position placed the revolver back behind his saddle bag.

“HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!...You should have seen your face...HAHAHAHA”

“Not funny Midnight, not funny at all….” He turned around to see Midnight standing up, struggling to take the splint off her leg.

“HAY, you can’t take that off just yet, your legs broken!” He warned.

“No its not, just dislocated, see.” He twisted her leg and a loud popping sound could be heard, Midnight winched in pain and then wiggled her leg.

“See, good as new, but the wing, yeah… that's broken.” She winched again as she tried to move her wing.

“Well, then, shall we keep going?” and with that they kept walking.


It was now noon, the sun shone straight down into the canyon, there was no shade, no cover as the two Pegasi walked.

“So, what made you become a criminal?” Shimmering asked

“I was abandoned as a filly, my parents didn’t love me, they took me to an orphanage and left me there to rot… they even told me they hated me, I was adopted, by some rich stallion in Manehatten. He thought having a soft spoken Trottingham mare as a slave was a good idea, so I killed him, I took his rifle he used for hunting and…”


Five years before

“Hello master, wake up, we are going to play a little game!” Midnight jumped on the Stallions bed.

“Midnight, what the, its not even morning, I only just got to sleep you deranged mare!” He shouted at her… he soon stopped when he saw HIS rifle in HER hooves, and it was pointed at HIS muzzle.

“But I wanna play...” She pouted and but on a puppy dog face.

“GO BACK TO YOUR ROOM!!” He shouted.

CLICK

“Wrong answer!” Midnight smiled as her pupils dilated…

“Okay, I’ll play, I’ll play!” He sobbed…

“Good colt… now out on to the street.” The Stallion got out of bed and walked down stairs with Midnight following, the rifle pointed at his neck. Once they were out on the street, Midnight forced him out into the middle of the road.

“Now RUN!” She shouted as she shot the ground in front of him, the dazed Stallion did… he turned around and ran for his life.

“Ahahahahaha...RUN MASTER, RUN…” His heart was pounding as he ran down the street, a shot rang out as the bullet zipped past his head… he turned the corner, into a back ally…

“Ahhh, MASTER THINKS HE CAN OUTRUN ME! HAHAHAHAAAA!” Another shot rang out and blew a hole next to the running stallion, he looked back and couldn’t see her… then it hit him, he looked up. There was Midnight, flying through the sky, rifle in hooves… BANG, another shot and another shower of tarmac…

“Keep running master!” She teased, it had started to rain heavily, the stallion slipped round another corner and carried on running, this ally was darker, par one light at the end… against a stone wall… a dead end!

“Ahh, Master has hit a dead end...literally!” Midnight landed behind him, blocking the exit…

“Please...don’t kill me...no...no...please no...NOOOOOOO!” Midnight was slowly approaching, as she was silhouetted in the alley, the only thing the stallion could she off her was her outline, her eyes shone a bright white, her pupils were so small. Her mouth was turned up in an evil grin… her teeth gleamed a brilliant white…

The image sent fear deep into the Stallions heart...it was the last thing he saw. A sudden pain in his head caused him to flip onto his back, his legs went limp as a warm red ooze slowly trickled down his forehead…


“That was my first kill, I hunted him to that dark alley and shot him, when I snapped out of it. I ran, I ran and I ran, never stopping, I jumped onto a freight train, rifle in hoof and ended up at Marktown… I robbed the bank and took off.. within a year, I had my own gang.” Midnight finished her story. Shimmering looked at her…

She has been through so much… She… I feel sorry for her… Shimmering Honor was confused, why did he feel sorry for her? She was a criminal, she killed ponies, she robbed ponies… how could he feel sorry for her?

Yet he still wanted to hold her, to tell her it was alright… oddly, he wanted to protect her.


It had been a few hours since Midnight had told of her first kill… the sun had dropped below the ridge of the canyon, now creating plenty of shadow… they two ponies kept on walking… kept on heading down the everlasting canyon…

snap

“Did you hear that Midnight?” Shimmering asked as his hoof slowly made its way towards his revolver.

“Oh calm down, its probably another rabbit.” She laughed.

“True, but why has it been following us then for an hour along with the two in the bush to the right and the one on the right?” Asked Shimmering

“What?”

“I can hear them, they are creeping up on us… I count four.” Shimmering slowly pulled out his revolver and pulled the hammer back.

“How can you tell?” Midnight asked, wishing she had a revolver.

“Training, I was a Captain of the Night Guard.” He stated, this made Midnight lean back a bit… a Night Guard, a Captain

Suddenly five ponies jumped out of the bushes, they started to circle the two Pegasi. their faces had some sort of war paint on and they had vulture feathers behind their ears.

“Okay, I was wrong. Five!” Shimmering aimed his revolver at each one individually, his hoof resting on the trigger, sweat started to run down his forehead.

Midnight got closer to Shimmering, for some reason, she felt safer next to him.

“Their the Red Vultures, they like to wait till the prey is dead or close to it to take what they want.” Midnight stated, a hint of worry in her voice.

“Thanks for the info...Now, what do you ponies want?” Shimmering asked the small gang. None of them answered, they just circled and stared.

“They never speak in Equestrian tongue.” Midnight informed him

“Again, thanks” he almost spat at her sarcastically. His left flank suddenly had a burning pain forcing into his skin and muscle, he let out a yelp of pain as a shot echoed down the canyon.

He turned around and saw a red painted pony holding a small revolver in his hoof, Shimmering let off a single shot and the unfortunate pony fell to the floor…

He shot me…

Shimmering could feel a warm liquid oozing down his fur, he kept turning around until he came face to face with a very shocked Midnight… as his world started to fade, he noticed a smile appear on her lips, one that sent shivers down his spine, one he remembered she had described not hours before. Her eyes had started to dilate.

“No..pony...hurts..my…” And then blackness…


Useless…

Worthless…

You will never find it…

Your hopes…

Your dreams…

All gone…

All destroyed…

The voices rang out around him as he ran, he kept running in that dark void, nothing in front, nothing behind, just more voices… repeating… repeating…

Useless…

Worthless…

Lonely...

She left you...

You will never find it…

Your hopes…

Your dreams…

All gone…

All destroyed…

What was happening...why was he running, Shimmering Honor couldn’t understand it, he tried to stop, but he kept on running…

Useless…

Worthless…

Lonely...

She left you...

Nopony ever loved you…

They all forgot about you…

Why do you continue...

You will never find it…

Your hopes…

Your dreams…

All gone…

All destroyed…

“PLEASE STOP!!!” He shouted at the voices, then a rainbow shockwave appeared in front of him, getting closer, faster, the sound echoed in his head…

Useless…

Worthless…

Lonely...

She left you...

Nopony ever loved you…

They all forgot about you…

Why do you continue...

You will never find it…

Your hopes…

Your dreams…

All gone…

All destroyed…

BY ME!!!

The Rainbow maned Pegasus appeared in front of him, laughing, she looked so evil...then she was engulfed in a red could as the mare changed shape into Midnight Storm.

And now, I am going to kill you!!! And that evil grinned mare charged him…


Shimmering shot bolt right up, his fur was matted by large amounts of sweat, his chest was rising and lowering at an alarming speed as he gasped for breath…

Then he noticed the warm glow on his right side, he turned to see a small fire… he looked up to see it was night time, when he looked down he found himself in some form of sleeping bag. He kept looking around and noticed a small pile of saddlebags, a few rifles and revolvers, a mess tin and a kettle was suspended over the fire by a metal cooking frame.

“Bad dream Shimmy?” Came a soft voice, he found its source. Midnight Storm?

“Err..yeah, you can say that, but where did all this come from? what happened?”

Midnight was sat on the other side of the fire to him, she was atop another sleeping back.

“Well we were ambushed, you were shot and I...well..” She pointed to an area behind Shimmering, he turned around and froze… there hanging by their hind legs where 4 ponies, each seemed to have had all of Tartarus hit them… a few had bones sticking out, others could only just be recognized as ponies..

“...I kind of killed them” She finished...

“Why, they could have shown us a way out!” he almost shouted.

“I tried to get them to tell me… I did, trust me…” She pleaded. why does she look so cute? how can I be made at her, she saved my life, she hasn’t run away either.

“Why didn’t you run away?” Shimmering asked her.

“Huh?”

“While I was out cold, you could have run away, restarted your gang and left me too die, why didn’t you?”

“Well, I don’t know…” She blushed and turned her head a little.

“Okay...well before I blacked out you said, ‘Nopony hurts my… My what?”

“My…”

“Yes” Shimmering was getting interested. It nagged him why she had said those words.

“My…” Midnight struggled to say the words.

“My...my...my.. MY SHIMMY!!” she finally shouted out… She looked at Shimmering Honor across the fire, her eyes started to fill with tears…

“YOUR Shimmy, what the buck is...ahhh!” Shimmering went to stand up, but a pain shot through his flank, he checked to see that it had been bandaged up, a large re spot was evident.

“Don’t move shimmy, you will make it worse..” Midnight ran over to Honor, she pushed him back down gently.

“Now go to sleep, I will stay guard.” She smiled, not an evil grin, but a sincere smile, one that warmed his heart.

“So where did you get this stuff?” he asked.

“The gang had it hidden in the bushes, they have food and everything, now sleep Shimmy.” She commanded, he laid down and closed his eyes.

“Thanks Midnight” he finally said as he drifted to sleep.


Useless…

Worthless…

Lonely...

She left you...

Nopony ever loved you…

They all forgot about you…

Why do you continue...

You will never find it…

Your hopes…

Your dreams…

All gone…

All destroyed…

BY ME!!!

The Rainbow maned Pegasus appeared in front of him, laughing, she looked so evil...then she was engulfed in a red could as the mare changed shape into Midnight Storm.

And now, I am going to kill you!!! And that evil grinned mare charged him…


Shimmering’s eyes shot open… another dream, another nightmare… It was still night time and the fire had started to die down, but something made his ears perked up, a noise, a mumbling…

“He is soo cute, so kind, I think I love him… but he doesn’t feel the same way, he never will, face it, he is a bounty hunter, you’re a crook, a criminal and murder. I am just another pay cheque to him, a way to get more bits...nothing else… OF course he has feelings, did you see the way he tried to protect you, how he carried you, fixed you up, he could have left you for dead… but he carried you for three days, without food or water… NO, he will never love me, will he? urr I don’t know, I don’t know” the mumbling continued along with the sound of a pony passing backwards and forwards.

Soon Shimmering Drifted back to sleep, he didn’t dream again that night.