• Published 4th Sep 2013
  • 860 Views, 39 Comments

Amnesia and Love. - Shimmering Honor



When Shimmering Honor Found himself in free fall, without any memories, he goes on an quest to find himself and to start a new life.

  • ...
5
 39
 860

The New job and the train ride.

Chapter 7, The New job and The train ride

The saloon was surrounded by almost everypony in Appleoosa, all were staring into the building via any means they could, Shimmering Honor was confused. He left the tide up Midnight Storm and trotted over.

“Whats going on?” he asked as he reached the edge of the crowd.

“The Princess is here!” said one Unicorn.

“Princess Luna herself!” exclaimed an Earth pony.

Shimmering was shocked. Why would the Princess of the night be here?

He spread his wings and flew over the crowd and landed on the small balcony that was just outside the room he had used a few times. He opened the door and walked into the main part of the building to a landing just above the bar.

He looked over the old wooden banister. Below was a scene he never thought possible. Princess Luna was in the middle of the room sitting at a table with the sheriff, who sat on the other side. A pile of Ponies lay on the ground to their left. Scattered on the table was an assortment of shot glasses… half empty, the others filled with…

Wait, is this a drinking contest? Then that pile of ponies… they LOST!?

He looked down in shock as the sheriff took another shot glass along with the princess. His hoof was shaking, and he was only just able to get it to his muzzle before he poured it down his throat. He paused, then slowly toppled to the left. One of the bat pony guards caught him on his back, and bucked him onto the pile of drunk ponies.

“Is there not one pony who WE cannot defeat?” Luna asked, She stood and spread her wings, some of the ponies left in the saloon looked scared, and nervous.

Something clicked in Shimmering's mind, a memory. I remember, Luna can hold her drink. There was one other who could as well… who was it… who was… it? ME! Memories flooded back into his mind as Shimmering remembered that he use to have contests like this with the Princess all the time, and she always lost. He spread his wings and slowly descended into the seat opposite Luna.

“There is but one.” he said as he placed his hind on the chair. Luna was shocked at first, but smiled as her horn started to glow… Shimmering somehow knew this removed all the effects the alcohol had on the Princess, making it an even contest.

“Oh really Captain?” She asked Sarcastically. Shimmering Honor looked at her confused.

“Captain?” he looked around trying to work out who she was talking to, the three bat pony guards were all looking at him, they were all saluting him.

“But… ME!? Whoa-whoa-whoa… I ain't no Captain. You have me mistaken your highness.” he stuttered.

Luna just looked at him. “Are you not Shimmering Honor?” she asked as the barpony came over with a new tray of shot glasses all filled with a reddish liquid.

“Yes your highness. But I am no Captain,” Shimmering replied.

Luna just laughed and picked up a shot glass. “We will test thine theory then. Beat me and we will know for sure if thou art Captain Shimmering Honor of the Night Guard.”

Shimmering picked up a glass, and held it to his muzzle. Odd, thats not cider… uhm.

They downed the drinks, and slammed the glasses back down on the table. The warm smoky flavoured liquid poured down Honors throat. It was not what he was expecting which resulted in a rather heavy coughing fit.

“Wow, what is this stuff?” he asked.

Luna looked at him with a confused look on her face. “You really don’t have any memories? Well it is known as Whiskey, my dear Shimmering.” She picked up another glass.

This continued for a good couple of hours. More and more whiskey shots were downed, and Shimmering could feel his head pounding. His world started to spin, but Luna looked worse. She was swaying from side to side, backwards and forwards. As the barpony brought out the next round, the unexpected happened.

Luna got up out of her chair, held out her hoof, Shimmering shook it. Luna then turned and stumbled over to the pile of ponies. She looked down at them, and passed out, landing with an almighty thud accompanied by several of said ponies letting out gasps as more weight was added to the already heavy load.

“I guess I win?” Shimmering said, then flopped down onto the table, asleep.


Shimmering Honor awoke the next day with an outstanding headache. Every heartbeat sounded like the roar of thunder not mere inches from his ear.

“How much did I drink?” He asked himself as he got out of bed, the covers falling to the floor. He stumbled out of the room, and into the saloon downstairs. When he got to the bottom of the stairs, he saw Princess Luna sitting at a table, drinking a cup of coffee.

“Good morning Captain, how are thee today?” she asked as Shimmering stumbled over to the table.

“My head is killing me!” he exclaimed, Luna looked at him and her horn started to glow, the pounding in his head started to fade then suddenly disappeared. “Thank you, but why do you keep calling me Captain, I have no memories… I have amnesia after being blown out of the sky by some silly stunt.” Shimmering said, a little bit of anger seeped into his voice at the thought of that stupid cyan mare.

Luna thought for a moment, then closed her eyes as she started to concentrate, her horn glowed brighter and brighter. Shimmering looked on, worried. Luna leaned forward, and Shimmering leaned back, but was forced forward by a bat pony guard. As Luna’s horn touched his forehead a flash of pain shot through his brain.

Memories flooded back. Training, promotions, being Captain of Luna's personal guard. His wife… her funeral. Shimmering pulled away again before the spell was finished and suddenly certain memories disappeared. Any relating to his long lost wife sank back into the void of amnesia.

Shimmering looked at Luna. The corner of his world started to darken. Noises became faint, then nothing.


When Shimmering awoke again, he had some memories. Not all of them, but enough to know who he was. He was a Captain in the Royal guard. He was Luna’s Captain, but something else tugged at his mind. Something made him want to never go back to Canterlot, or Ponyville. He no longer wanted to be a Captain.

He walked out of the room, and his hoof hit something on the floor. He looked down to find a small draw string bag. he picked up the heavy bag and opened it. Inside were bits, lots and lots of bits.

MONEY, he thought. I can pay ponies back now. I can buy things… I… I… wait, there is a note as well. He picked out the note from the bag. On the front was the words To Shimmering Honor. He opened it up and read it.

Dear Shimmering Honor,

Contained in this bag is the bounty for one Midnight Storm, wanted on charges of armed robbery, assault, assaulting officers of the law, murder, murder of an officer of the law, and resisting arrest.

The total is 16500 bits.

Yours,
Marshall service of Equestrian Western regions.

“16500 BITS!” Shimmering shouted.

He ran towards the front door, and bolted out. As soon as he was outside he spread his wings, and flew the short distance to the sheriff’s office. He unceremoniously burst through the door, and landed in front of a very startled sheriff.

“What can ah do for ya’ll?” he asked.

“Bounty? What is a bounty?” Shimmering asked.

The sheriff went on to explain that a bounty was placed on a criminal's head, and that certain ponies called bounty hunters go out looking for the criminal, and either arrest them or kill them. Afterwards they bring the criminal in whatever state they are in, and receive a bit reward.

Shimmering was astounded. Here was an amazing way to make money, and he could do things his way. No red tape of guarding Princesses, or working within the law, and he could work for as long as he liked. It sounded perfect.

“How do you become a bounty hunter?” Asked Shimmering.

“Simple, get a gun or two and start looking for wanted posters, after you do a test in Trottingham, a judge gives you a Bounty Hunters License” the sheriff replied.

Shimmering turned, and ran out of the door. He looked at prices of revolvers, and found a good cheap one, a six shot Smith and Western. He bought himself a stetson hat, and a jacket. He even got a pair of sunglasses, and a set of saddlebags.


Princess Luna watched as her Captain went from shop to shop, buying all sorts of bits and pieces. she flew down to him and landed in front of him.

“May we ask the meaning of these purchases, do thee not wish to return?” she asked, concern in her voice.

“I don’t your highness,” Shimmering bowed down to the Princess. “I feel if I do return, my lack of memories will cause more issues, and I would be a bother… So I wish to start anew. I will be a bounty hunter, protecting the citizens of the eastern regions in my own way,” Shimmering Honor finished.

“Do thee mean the Western regions? We understand and can see that thee is not fully recovered… Alas I shall return now, and wish thee good luck. You truly are one of strong Honor” Luna bowed her head, took off into the air, and flew back to canterlot. Shimmering watched as she got further and further away, then disappeared into the horizon.

The sheriff had seen the whole thing, and slowly walked up to Shimmering Honor.

“Captain is everything okay?” he asked.

Shimmering looked up and smiled. “Not Captain… just Shimmering Honor. The new bounty hunter in these parts!” He said as he pulled a heroic pose.

“Well, bounty hunter. If ya wish, ya can get the next train to Manehatten. It leaves in about ten minutes, and ya’ll first bounty is being put aboard to be sent to court.” The Sheriff pointed to the train station as a whistle could be heard in the distance.

“Aye sheriff, thank you so much. You have helped me, and now I bid you farewell and good luck!” Shimmering said, raising a hoof to his new hat, and tipping it slightly. He trotted down to the station. As he arrived he saw Midnight Storm being ‘loaded’ into one of the box cars. Shimmering trotted over, and checked ‘his’ bounty.

“Everything alright lads?” he asked the two deputies.

“Yes sir! Ya can sleep well tonight.” The first one said.

“She will be locked up good and proper in the city,” the other one exclaimed. A mutter was heard from the box car.

“What was that my dear?” asked Shimmering.

“I said, not if I can help it,” Midnight said defiantly. Shimmering laughed and proceeded to board the train. A whistle was heard and the guard waved his flag signaling the train's departure. It jolted and slowly started to pick up speed as it left the now peaceful Appleoosa behind.


About three hours into the journey, Shimmering Honor had fallen asleep. The gentle sway of the carriage as the train stormed down the track had lulled him into a light slumber. Yet something didn’t sit right in his mind. He knew that this was all too easy. Prisoner transfers back at the castle had always been complicated affairs with massive amounts of security and secrecy. Yet here they just flung her on the first train out of town, and he didn’t see many guards or…

Oh thats not good. Not good at all. Shimmering bolted upright as something dawned on him. He got out of his chair and calmly made his way to the rear of the train where the boxcars were. He climbed up onto the roof and looked around, nothing. He made his way to the boxcar with Midnight Storm in and knocked on the door as he flew next to it, a deputy opened it confused.

“May I enter.” Shimmering said, but unfortunately at the same time the engine blew its whistle. Shimmering looked along to the train and saw a tunnel approaching...fast! he flew into the box car as the train entered the tunnel.

“Err..Mister, What are Ya’ll doing here?” Asked the confused deputy.

“What security do you have on this train?” He asked.

“Security, just me, Ma Sheriff said that's all we will need as her gang ain’t no more.” The deputy said, pointing a hoof in Midnight's direction.

“Is this standard procedure?” Asked Shimmering with a bit more urgency, he trotted over to Midnight and checked the chains holder her down where secure while the Deputy stood in front of the still open side of the box car.

“Err..yeah, we do this all the time, Ya not from around here are ya?” He asked, Shimmering looked around at the Deputy as the train excited the tunnel, the Deputy suddenly vanished with a scream… a lasso had pulled him out of the train.

Shimmering ran to the door and saw a gang of ponies galloping alongside the train. A train robbery, no… they are here to break Her out. Shimmering turned to Midnight storm.

“Friends of yours?” He asked and pulled out his revolver.

“Nope, they are the Marktown Train Robbers… not very nice ponies, now I suggest you let me out so I can help you!” She shouted over the racket of gunfire while pulling at the chains clapping her hooves to the floor.

“And why would I do that?”

“Because… they kill everypony in rival gangs...and we...have had falling outs in the past!” She finished as bullets zipped past their heads.

“Well I can’t let you out anyway… the guard had the key and…” BING, CLANG… Shimmering was startled to see a bullet had hit the shackles...Midnight's fore hooves came free and she got up.

“You were saying?...WATCH OUT!” She cried as a Pony jumped into the boxcar, Shimmering span around and bucked him hard in the muzzle, he dropped his revolver onto the floor and fell out of the boxcar. Midnight made a dash for the revolver, she picked it up and looked at the odd item… it was golden plated and had fancy decorations on it.

“Waste of good gold if you ask me.” She stated. Another pony jumped onto the Boxcar roof, Midnight calmly pointed the gun up and fired off a shot...THUD, red ooze started to seep in through holes in the roof. “Not bad.”

More shots fired into the Boxcar and pinged of the metal frame. Shimmering and Midnight were firing back when a horrid noise filled their ears...BOOM!!! Shimmering Honor poked his head around the door and looked to see where the explosion had come from, what he saw made his heart sink… Up ahead was a canyon, a very deep and wide canyon. Crossing the canyon was a wooden trestle bridge, which, by the looks of the large fireball, had just been blown up.

“On my mark, jump!” Shimmering instructed.

“Cut my wings lose, then we can fly out.”

“No...we need to keep our wings tucked, if we spread them as we jump, the wind would knock us into the sides of the canyon and kill us.” Shimmering stated as he found a spare bit of rope and tied his wings down to resist the urge to open them.

“What… are you crazy… I don’t belie….” Midnight never finished the sentence as a screeching noise came from the front of the train. The engineer had jammed on the breaks…

The Train kept hurtling along the track, sparks flew in every direction, but it couldn’t stop in time the engine toppled over the edge of the broken bridge, dragging the carriages along with it, screams of trapped earth ponies and Unicorns alike filled the air.

“Ready… and….JUMP!” Shimmering shouted as the Boxcar toppled over the edge, both of the Pegasi jumped out of the doomed wagon and fell. They landed on a slope with a thud and rolled down, bouncing off rocks and falling off small cliffs… BOOM!!! The engine exploded as it hit the bottom of the canyon, a Fireball going up and igniting all the carriages.


Shimmering Honor woke to a scene from hell… burnt and twisted metal lay everywhere, along with mangled bodies. Shimmering got up and looked around, lying next to him was Midnight Storm, unconscious, but alive. She does look cute when she is out cold. He thought, he undid the ropes on his wings and felt a sharp pain on his left as he gave them a light flap…Dam, broken wing. He scooped up Midnight and laid her across his back.

“Come on then, lets get you to Manehatten then.” He stated to nopony and started the long walk back to civilization.