• Published 27th Aug 2013
  • 6,683 Views, 89 Comments

The Bet - Blueninetails



During a week-long vacation, Applejack is surprised to learn that Twilight and Rainbow's plans are no different than if they had stayed at home. Maybe a little bet can fix that.

  • ...
18
 89
 6,683

Chapter 1

Lunar Bay, a fairly popular coastal town some distance north of the city of Manehatten. The bay was a popular vacation spot for just about any pony looking to relax in the warm heat of Celestia's sun, to bask in the colorful flora and fauna of the surrounding environment, or simply stroll under the light of Luna's beautiful night sky. The sky itself was rumored to be far more spectacular at the town than anywhere else, earning the town its namesake as well as her highness's approval, supposedly.

Despite its recent popularity, Lunar Bay was known for a string of myths and rumors ranging from the popular rumor that a pirate pony's treasure was hidden in one of the caves around the area, to a dying myth of a hilltop that over looked the ocean called "Lover's Echo", which obtained it's name as the rumor went that if two individuals went up to the hilltop and shouted their special individual's name for the world to know, an echo would follow and either one of the Royal Pony Sisters would give their approval and best wishes. This has been denied by Princess Luna in recent times though as nothing more than a mere rumor of old ponies long since past.

With such mentioned, it is for that reason that when Princess Celestia suggested that to her faithful student, Twilight Sparkle, and the newly-appointed alicorn's friends to consider a vacation to relax, she suggested Lunar Bay. In addition to the six pony friends though, were three younger ponies, better known as the Cutie Mark Crusaders, as well as Princess Celestia and Princess Luna themselves, and Spike.

Both Princess were present as Celestia wished to take a break from political business, even if it were just for three days, as well as have a chance to properly bond with her sister again. It was a matter that Princess Luna agreed to, especially after she needed to cool down after having an argument with the current financial advisor regarding one of her more recent expenses.

"Woo!" Pinkie exclaimed as she jumped off the short stone wall that separated the beach from the walkway, and landed on the soft beach sand.

"This is so awesome!" Rainbow agreed as she landed on the beach as well before she, Pinkie, and the Crusaders decided to race to the water.

The others watched in amusement before Twilight turned to look at her mentor, "Are you sure about this Princess? I mean, I'm sure we are very much grateful to be here, but are you sure about paying for us as well? And for a whole week?"

"But of course. In light of what has happened in the past couple months, I'd like to offer you all a time to rest and recover properly." she replied with a kind smile. "Though I do apologize for those amongst you that didn't make this decision of their own volition." Celestia added sympathetically as she looked at Applejack.

The orange earth pony shrugged. "Ya don't need to be apologizin' Princess, it weren't you that forced me offa mah farm fer a vacation. It was mah Granny that did. Still though, ah suppose might as well enjoy it. Come to think of it, ah don't rightly recall the last time ah took a long vacation."

"Well, you're more than welcome to have this vacation with us Applejack. Now, Princess Luna and myself will be going to check-in to the hotel. You may follow us if you wish, otherwise, be sure to find us at the buffet the hotel offers tonight."

The group gave a nod as Twilight and Rarity followed the two alicorns, rather eager to place their luggage somewhere safe, which now included Rainbow Dash's and Pinkie's as well, while Applejack and Spike opted to stay behind and guard their things, as well as the Crusader's. Besides, Applejack wanted to keep an eye on her sister.

As the day wore on, the group of friends decided to explore much of the more immediate sites of interests near the hotel, which did include a rather shallow cave, a cafe that offered tropical drinks made from local fruits, and the beach. All the while, Celestia and Luna had chosen to stay on the balcony of their room and simply chat.

Closer to sunset, the group was now relaxing on the beach. Twilight currently had her nose in a book of Sherlock Hooves as she sat comfortably on a beach towel. Nearby, Rarity and Fluttershy were deep in a conversation in regards to how things have been in their line of work. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were in the middle of a very heated volleyball match, and had been for the last two hours, while Pinkie and Spike decided to have fun by playing as the match's announcer, referee, and score-keeper between the two. Though both seemed to have opted to be sitting behind a decorative long-board nearby as the two started to play even more aggressively with each passing minute.

"After that, I just guided them back in the right direction." Fluttershy explained

"My word Fluttershy, that's quite the story. Must've been quite difficult considering it was not just simply a couple of bears, but a rather large group of bears."

"Oh, no....it was very easy actually. I mean, if it's okay to be honest, I have a harder time keeping bunnies together." she replied with a small smile.

"No way Applejack!" they heard Rainbow shout, making Fluttershy, Rarity, and Twilight to look her direction, "That last point didn't count, we still have a game to finish."

Applejack, Rainbow, Pinkie, and Spike were now making their way to them. Seems the game had finally ended, and with Applejack as the victor. Of course though Rainbow wouldn't let it rest. Pinkie and Spike were following behind their two friends.

"Our game is done with Rainbow. That there ball landed within the line."

"No, it did not."

"Look it here Rainbow, we've been playin' fer two hours, and ah'm thirstier than a dehydrated lizard. If ya ain't gonna let it rest, then we can play a'gin later." Applejack stated, then gave a threatening glare, "So let it go."

"Fine! I'll let it go for now, but you had better be ready for a rematch." Rainbow huffed as the four of them had arrived.

Overhearing the conversation, Twilight used her magic to levitate each of the four a water bottle, which they all took eagerly.

"Thanks Twilight." Spike said, his voice sounding a little dry, indicating he either spoken very frequently in his time as the announcer, or hadn't had a good drink of water for several hours. Twilight was betting on a combination of the two.

The same thing could probably been said about Pinkie, seeing she hasn't said a single word up until now. At least that was before she managed to inhale her water in one big gulp. "Oh my gosh! Twilight, you should've seen it. First the ball was "Woo!" into Dashie's side, then it was "Woom!" back into Applejack's side, then "POW!" right into the sand. It was the most intense game of volleyball ever!"

"I'll take your word for it Pinkie." Twilight stated with a giggle.

"Still readin' that there book ah see." Applejack remarked.

"It's a good book."

"Ah ain't complainin', it's just that, ah think that there's the same book ya'll was readin' even on the train an' durin' our explorin' around."

Twilight gave it some thought. Without really thinking about it, she HAS been reading the same book since they left Ponyville, despite the fact she had brought at the barest minimum 6 others to read. She then looked up at Applejack and gave a sheepish smile.

Applejack simply gave a chuckle, before all seven of them turned their head in response to hearing Scootaloo shout.

Near the water, they saw the three fillies running for their lives as a small group of angry, red rock crabs chased them. Granted, of course, that the crabs were considerably slower than the three ponies. One seemed to be clinging to Scootaloo's tail, explaining why she had given a shout.

"Oh my...." Fluttershy stated as she went into a hover and flew off to try saving them, followed by Rainbow, Applejack, and Rarity.

After the crab incident had passed, Fluttershy quickly took Scootaloo to her room to treat the young filly's tail with some herbal, painkilling-lotion that she had left over from when Zecora helped her with an injured rabbit that needed it. The others took the rest of the time to relax and enjoy what's left of the day on the beach except Rainbow, who opted to go flying around and practice her tricks instead.

As the sun finally set over the horizon, making way for Luna's moon and starry night sky, the group retreated to the buffet at the hotel to meet up with the princesses, as well as get a good first dinner of course. The entire group of friends were present, save for Rainbow Dash, who had flown off some distance away from the area over an hour ago. True to most buffets, the hotel's, the Silver Saucer, provided a rather wide variety of dishes from very simple fruit bowls to the most exotic of Saddle-rabian cuisine.

Most of them chosen a combination of several dishes, such was the case with Fluttershy, who had a salad, which contained soley Equestrian-grown vegetables, and a big bowl of soup that had some Mariditerranean history. The others, took a more straight forward dish, such as the one that both Rarity and Princess Luna had chosen to eat. The dish itself was a new creation from Las Pegasus, and was currently gaining popularity in all the major cities, such as Canterlot. It was inspired from cuisines from both the Equestrian and Griffon Kingdoms, which the ingredients were all from, and was topped off with the juice from a tropical island fruit, and was elegantly, and creatively, placed onto a plate. Also, if the look Princess Luna had on her face just before she took a bite was any indication, it smelled absolutely divine. In the most general case though all the food smelled wonderful.

"Applejack, ya think they...they have ta-go boxes?" Applebloom asked her sister with a nearly full mouth.

"Applebloom, ah know we grew up on a farm, but ah know we taught ya better manners than that." Applejack scolded her.

"Oh, don't be so hard on her Applejack." Rarity stated, "She is still a filly afterall. Besides, I must admit it is a little tempting to follow suit with with when the food is simply this delectable."

Applebloom gave a mild groan at the statement, but pushed it aside.

"Mm-hm." they heard from Scootaloo in agreement as she voiced her two-bits on the matter with a completely full mouth of food. The little pegasus was eating spaghetti, and was clearly enjoying it enough so that the bit of pasta sauce she had managed to get on her mane was not bugging her in the least.

"If that's true, what's keepin' ya from doin' just that Rares?" Applejack asked with a wide smirk.

"Well, being a full grown mare certainly comes to mind. Also, a proper lady always has some level of finesse when eating." she replied as she wiped her mouth clean with a cloth napkin.

Applejack gave a chuckle at that, "If ya say so." then turned her attention to Twilight, who was still muzzle-deep in a book, granted it wasn't the same one from earlier, and using a semi-formed barrier to protect it from food bits that the pink earth pony next to her somehow managed to make airborne for a time despite that she was eating her food in a rather neat way.

"Ah think yer food is startin' ta get a lil' lonesome there Twi." Applejack remarked, "Whatcha readin' there anyway?" then took a bite of her food.

"Yeah. I mean, just look at those daisy buns you have on your plate. Oh, they're so lonely...so cold...so yummy...." Pinkie stated in agreement, her eyes the whole time locked onto the alicorn's plate.

Twilight looked at her for a moment and pushed her plate closer to her friend, "Um...do you want them Pinkie? I don't mind letting you have them."

"Really?!" Pinkie asked excitedly, but before she dared lay a hoof on a single one she stopped herself for the briefest of moments, "Are you sure? It is your yummy, scrumptious, tasty food afterall." she then gave her lips a quick lick, trying to kinda cover up that she was drooling a bit.

"Don't worry, I'll just get more later. The buffet shouldn't close for another hour or so."

With that said, Pinkie didn't hesitate any longer as she started gobbling up the cold food.

"Anyway, to answer your question Applejack, it's a book of magical theories and spells that Princess Celestia thinks would be worthwhile for me to try. I'm not going to lie, all these spells...they're easily far more complex than any spell I've ever attempted before; but, I can tell the results would be rather rewarding in the long run."

"Hm." Applejack gave a nod in understanding.

"Here's something you might like Applejack. If I recall correctly, you have zap apples at Sweet Apple Acres, right?"

"Yep."

"Well, there's actually an old spell here that might increase the number produced per tree."

"Oh...." she replied, Twilight now holding all of her attention.

"It doesn't look very easy, but it has something to do with increasing the magical energies that are stored up in the tree itself, essentially increasing its overall health to encourage more flower growth, resulting in an increased in fruit production."

Applejack gave the idea some thought, until she noticed a certain cyan pegasus walking towards them, "Well, it's about time ya got here Rainbow. Ah was startin' ta think ya got lost or somethin'." she stated jokingly

"Me...? Lost? Never gonna happen. I never get lost." Rainbow stated confidently

"You probably should get some food Rainbow. I think they're gonna start cleaning up soon." Fluttershy rang in, "Um, that is...if you want to, and...haven't eaten yet."

"Yeah...that's probably a good idea right about now." Rainbow admitted as her stomach growled in agreement.

"Perhaps ya'll should join Dash an' grab a bite to eat too, Twi." Applejack suggested looking at the alicorn, "Seein' ya haven't eaten as much as ya probably should." She then turned her attention towards Pinkie, who was working on the very last of the daisy buns that Twilight let her eat.

As the time passed, and both Twilight and Rainbow gotten their foods, Pinkie, Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy chatted about their plans for the next day. Granted that Twilight had only eaten half of her food, leaving the other half to once again get cold. Both Princesses had left quite some time ago after finishing their meals. Princess Celestia had chosen to call it a day and went to get some sleep, while Princess Luna figured she could go for a moonlit stroll near the beach to relax her mind. The Cutie Mark Crusaders had also gone to bed as well, mostly at Applejack and Rarity's wishes for them to do so though. The same was true for Spike, who was feeling rather drowsy a few minutes after he had finished eating.

"Hey Twilight, Rainbow." Applejack called out, "Listen, Pinkie, Shy, an' mahself were thinkin' about visitin' one of the bakeries around town tomorrow."

"Yeah, some of the bakeries here in Lunar Bay are the best in Equestria." PInkie stated, "Which I find kinda hard to believe, because wouldn't the best be in Canterlot? Unless of course, they didn't want to work in Canterlot, so the best really is here after all; but, wouldn't the -mmph mmm-" her words becoming muffled as Applejack put a hoof over Pinkie's mouth.

"Ah think we get the idea sugarcube." she stated before looking back at Twilight and Rainbow, "So whatcha say? Fancy taggin' along with us?"

"Rarity isn't going?" Twilight asked as she looked at the white unicorn.

"Nah, said somethin' about her watchin' her figure?"

"Of course dear Applejack, a lady must always be conscious of her appearance."

"Ain't never bothered me none."

"Anyway, I'm not certain Applejack. I was hoping on putting aside most of my time tomorrow to practice some of these new spells I've been studying." Twilight replied

"I was gonna go flying." Rainbow simply stated, "With the open air, and no duties, I could practice all my amazing flying tricks."

"Aw, but that's what you did almost all day today." Pinkie exclaimed in sad tone

"Please tell us that isn't what you two were planning to do this entire week of vacation.." Rarity rang in.

"Well, without any of my usual duties..." Rainbow started, indicating that was pretty much what she had in mind.

"Not the entire trip. I did of course put off some time I wouldn't spend practicing magic to simply hang out with you girls." Twilight stated

"Well, that's good; but, how much of that there time DID ya put off ta the side fer yer magic practice?" Applejack asked.

Twilight's cheeks grew a little red as she silently admitted in embarrassment that it was a rather large chunk of her time.

"Oh come on! We're suppose to be on vacation, just doing what we like to do to relax." Rainbow argued, "Mine is flying."

"A fair point there Rainbow." Applejack said with a nod, "But ya know me, ah'd rather be at Sweet Apple Acres in the orchard."

Rainbow gave a scoff in response.

"Um...maybe they could play just one game with us. I mean...I don't see anything wrong with it if they want to do something else..." Fluttershy voiced in

"That does sound like a fair point, at least for now." Rarity agreed, "Don't you agree Applejack."

"Eyep, ah reckon just one game would be fair fer now."

"So a game, huh?" Rainbow mused, "What kind of game are you suggesting?"

"Ooo! Make it a fun game!" Pinkie exclaimed

Applejack remained silent for a moment as she thought about the question, before a smirk formed on her face, "Ah think ah have just the right game that should suit ya'll's fancy. Twi and Rainbow don't even have ta be with us ta play. How do ya two fancy a wagerin' game?"

"A betting game Applejack? Is that truly what you find to be entertaining?" Rarity asked

"Jus' let me finish. 'Sides, ah'll be the one makin' the bet afterall."

"Okay, so what kind of wager do you have in mind?" Rainbow asked, giving an amused grin.

"How 'bout that ya two don't use yer abilities for the whole trip. That means, no flyin', and no magic."

"What?! No, I am NOT going to agree to that!"

"If ya win Rainbow, I'll give ya anythin' ya want. As long as what ya ask fer is reasonable, I'll give it to ya."

"Hm...first off fruit-butt, tell us, what do you get if YOU win."

"Hm..." Applejack thought about the question as she brought a hoof to her chin, "Well, how about ya help out on the farm fer one week? It'd be nice to have the extra help tendin' ta things, especially at this time of the year."

"But, aren't we already willing to help you out on the farm Applejack?" Twilight asked

"That ya are, but under this, ya'll will be workin' for me rather than helpin'."

"So...if we win, you'll give us anything we want...?" Rainbow asked

"As long as it's reasonable."

"Hm, how about...you let me have one of the trees in the orchard for a week. I could always use a new place to rest after I
practice; and, I get to see you eat your hat."

"That's two things Rainbow Dash." Twilight pointed out.

"Ah ain't gonna eat my hat!" Applejack stated, "This here is a family heirloom."

"I'll get ya new one to eat then. As long as you do eat it." Rainbow argued as she gave a cocky smirk, "As for me asking for two things, I want to make sure it's well worth it since I'll be giving up what I love to do best."

Applejack remained silent as she closed her eyes to think about the idea, after a minute or so, she opened her eyes again and held out a hoof, "Alrighty then Rainbow, ya got yerself a bet."

Rainbow hoof-bumped with Applejack, sealing the deal. Applejack then looked toward Twilight, "Willin' ta give it a go there Twi?"

"I don't know..."

"Just give it a try Twilight." Rainbow stated, "At worse, you're just gonna get a little dirty helping out at Sweet Apple Acres."

"Well...I suppose it wouldn't hurt giving it a try." and put a hoof up.

"Uh-uh, first we settle what ya want if ya win."

Twilight remained silent for a moment before saying, "Well, how about I ask if you can bake me an apple pie."

"An apple pie?" Applejack asked, a bit befuddled.

"Twilight, you can always get apple pie." Rainbow exclaimed, "Jeez, you can even get one just by tagging along with them tomorrow."

"Yeah, I bet even Applejack or me can make you an apple pie. You just have to ask." Pinkie added

"Well, yes, but seeing that apples are the specialty of Applejack's family, they always taste a little better. No offense intended Pinkie."

"Oooooh. Well that's okay, no arguements from me." Pinkie replied then gave a grin

"Why jus' one then there Twi? It ain't no problem fer me ta bake ya one. Don't feel mighty fair that ah'd ask ya ta do one whole week of work fer a lil' ol' pie. Maybe, free pie that week? Ah'll give ya one as many as ya want. That seems more fair."

"I'm sorry Applejack, as much as I do find that offer tempting, I'm not sure I can eat that many pies. Do you remember when we first met during the Summer Sun Celebration a couple of years ago?" Applejack gave a nod in response, "Well, after 'sampling' much of the food your family and yourself had to offer, as delicious as it was, I wasn't so sure I could stand eating another apple-based product for days afterwards." Twilight explained as she rubbed her stomach, recalling how much it had ached after

Applejack gave a chuckle in response, "Well, it was yer choice ta stay that long sugarcube. The family wouldn't have said a thing if ya wanted to skeedaddle after the first fifteen minutes of tryin' out the food."

"Hm, well, how about four apple pies then. Does that sound a little fair to you?"

"Ah don't suppose ah'm gonna convince ya otherwise?" she asked amusingly, to which Twilight simply shook her head, "Well, ah suppose that's a fair deal."

"Wait, Applejack mind if I'm exempted from the 'no flying' portion? I really need to practice flying, and I do need a little more work on my landings." Twilight asked

"Sure, if you consider making a magic bubble to soften your crashes as landings, then I guess you could use 'a little more work' on your landings." Rainbow stated an amused smirk.

"Well..., yer suppose ta be no magic, so ah see no problems with that." as Applejack quickly hoof-bumped Twilight to seal the deal, "We can start the bet tomorrow, fer now ah'm more interested in gettin' some shut-eye. Goodnight everypony."
The others bade Applejack a good night, as the farmer trotted out towards the elevator. As time ticked by, the others soon followed suit as they each slowly related to sleepiness and retreated back to their rooms for a good night's sleep.

Author's Note:

This is probably my longest opening chapter I've ever written. Hopefully you guys enjoyed it.

I'm planning at least another three chapters to this, but for the most part, I'm more curious what you guys think. That way I know if I'm gonna be dedicating my time to something folks will love to read, or if I'm better off doing other projects entirely. (Not that it matters though, I have a personal code as a writer to finish everything I've published for others to read. So, yeah... :P)