• Published 25th Feb 2012
  • 3,169 Views, 145 Comments

Seven Ponies, Seven Trials, Seven Loves - Lieutenant Bubbles



Six ponies cast a spell to find their special somepony. But one will add herself by accident.

  • ...
11
 145
 3,169

Track 2: Money For That (3:23)

Part 3 & 4
Track 2: Money For That (3:23)
Many thanks to my prereaders on this one…

***********************************************************

Ditzy and Treble sat at a rooftop table at La Poney Fantaisie, one of the nicer restaurants in town. Ditzy had originally been headed to the diner, but Treble convinced her to head here. It was understandable that he didn’t want too many other ponies around. Ditzy didn’t really understand what it was like to be famous, but she could imagine that being constantly bombarded by ponies that you didn’t know could be exhausting, not to mention annoying. At first, Ditzy was worried about the cost, but Treble offered to pay, saying that since it was his idea, it was only the honorable thing to do.

“So Treble,” Ditzy began, “What brings the band to Ponyville? I didn’t think that Victory Cleft did concerts in small towns like this.” Ditzy didn’t want to banter back and forth forever, she really wanted to know why the band was breaking up, but she knew just how hard it could be to lose something you loved, and she didn’t want to push him.”

“You’re right Ditzy, we don’t usually play in small towns, but my brother and I are thinking of retiring to Ponyville once the band’s done. Also, the DJ we are touring with is originally from around here.” Treble smiled as he thought back to the day he’d first heard Tomb’s music….

***********************************************************

Treble was walking the streets of Canterlot, with no particular destination in mind, when he came across a flyer advertizing an open mic coffeehouse just a block away. It was a pleasant evening, and Treble was in high spirits. He felt that it would be a marvelous idea to drop in on the coffeehouse and to maybe even sing a song or two for everypony there.

Much to Treble’s surprise; the place was almost completely empty. There were a couple of ponies that he could name, like Octavia, who was sitting with a couple of other mares near the back, one mint green, the other the wildly famous DJ Pon-3. The three were huddled together in conversation, and Treble felt that it really wasn’t right for him to intrude just because he knew one of them personally. There were a few other ponies sitting at the tables in the front of the room near the stage, but for the rest of the place, it was a sea of empty tables and lonely chairs. Treble sat at a table near the middle, and ordered a cappuccino from the kind waitress who’d been waiting at the table for him. It was quiet as the grey pony on stage messed with some equipment. Treble was glad that he’d walked in before a performance rather than during one.

Treble sat and watched the pony mess with bundles of wires and equipment on racks that he couldn’t even begin to guess what it was for. Suddenly the pony stood up and Treble could tell that it was a colt. He had a pair of large black headphones on his head, and his mane was the most vivid shade of blue, the tips a striking red. The look of determination on his face was one of concentration and joy. With a few flicks of the hoof, a quick adjustment of the mic, and thesong was playing.

The heavy bass line was nicely accented by the electronic sounding notes that played the melody. It sounded like it was going to be a fairly standard dance song for a moment, and then the colt opened his mouth and began to sing.

His voice was a wonderful sound, so full of life and joy, even though the subject matter he was singing about was not such a happy thing. The song played, and Treble was entranced, not even noticing when the waitress brought his coffee. He sat staring enraptured at the DJ playing on stage to this empty coffee shop as if it were a stadium full of ponies. Treble put his elbow in his coffee, his head on his hoof and just listened……

******************************************************

“Are you okay?”

Ditzy’s voice brought Treble out of his reverie. He must have been staring off into space without meaning to. “I’m fine. I’m sorry if I worried you.”

“It’s alright. You were just sort of staring at that plant over there.” Ditzy giggled and rather suddenly sneezed hard, looking back up at Treble with her eyes slightly crossed. Although Treble wasn’t sure if you could call it crossed when one looked up and the other down, but that was the best description he had for it. Either way, whatever it was called he found it absolutely adorable, and so he did the only thing he could think of to do at that moment. He smiled.

“Gesundheit.”

“What?” Ditzy half giggled out. She’d never heard anypony talk like that. The word sounded so foreign and harsh that she wasn’t sure that it wasn’t some kind of curse.

“It’s from the old world, it means bless you.” Treble smiled. Thinking about what he said brought up fond memories of his Grandmother. “My grandmother was from Stalliongrad, and she didn’t exactly speak normal Equestrian so well. I learned it so I could talk to her, but I guess I still use it every now and then without thinking.”

“Wow, so your family hasn’t been here all that long then?”

“Just on my Mom’s side. My grandmother and grandfather came over from Stalliongrad shortly after my Aunt was born. My dad’s family has lived in Canterlot ever since the migration from Flutter Valley.” Treble knew his family history, and for some reason it seemed perfectly natural for him to be talking about it to Ditzy. “My mom and dad met at the Grand Galloping Gala years ago. My mom was working it, and my dad was attending. If it hadn’t been for a moment where my mom tripped they might never have met.”

“That’s really neat. I didn’t know that you had such a rich family background. All I’ve ever read about you is what they published in the papers.” Ditzy blushed, somewhat ashamed to admit to Treble that she’d been reading about him for the past couple of years.

Treble’s smile grew wider as he held back a laugh. “Oh? And what have the papers been saying about me?”

“Not much of anything of value. Just the news about your band, and of course every tabloid followed your brother’s love life.” Ditzy wondered where Treble’s brother was now. Probably off flirting with some stupid pony who would be easily charmed…….

****************************************************************

Rainbow Dash and Bass had been racing through the town, around it, through ghastly gorge again, and to the Everfree Forest and back. They might have been headed to the cider hall, but halfway there, some sort of challenge arose, and off they went. Every time one of them one a race, the other would win the next. Finally, exhausted and exhilarated, the two of them drifted lazily down to the street, landing not too far from Sugarcube Corner.

“I don’t think…. That I…. Could race…. Even one more time…….” Bass panted out, his wings slumping to his side. His usually well groomed mane had hairs sticking out all over the place, and even his tail was starting to look a little frazzled.
“So… I take it… That you …. Give up?” Rainbow panted back. She’d had fun like she hadn’t had since that Silver guy came to town and Applejack had stopped competing with her.

“I… Never said that. I just… meant that I’m not racing …. Any more today. You haven’t won yet….” Bass slumped a little to the ground. He hadn’t pushed himself like this in a very long time. Out of the corner of his eye he caught sight of Sugarcube Corner, and he hatched a plan. Luckily, Bass had caught his breath by then. “How are you at eating contests?”
Rainbow paused for thought. “I don’t know. I haven’t really been in one ever.”

“Well then, that’s out. It just wouldn’t be fair.” A mischievous twinkle light in Rainbow’s eyes.

“Who says?”

“I do. I’ve taken part in a fair few eating contests, and so, I’d have an advantage.”

“Would not!”

“I’m pretty sure I would.”

“You’re ON!” Rainbow shouted. The two of them half trotted, half limped towards the brightly lit façade of Sugarcube Corner, ready to engage in yet another competition….

****************************************************

“So Ponyville only has five Mailponies?” Treble asked.

“Well, we aren’t all that big a town, so we actually only have two that make deliveries, one does the long runs off to other towns, and the others are assigned to sorting, and being the postmaster.”

“That makes sense. Everypony has a job to do. It’s simple enough that it shouldn’t be hard for each pony to know what to do, and who to go to if they need help.”

“Are you implying that Mailponies are dumb?” Ditzy frowned a little. She’d been made fun of enough in life that she might
have been needlessly defensive, but it’s just how she’d learned to be.

“Not at all. I’m saying that being a Mailpony in Ponyville is a lot less confusing than it would be in a large city like Canterlot.” Treble was a little worried that he’d upset Ditzy. “I visited the Canterlot Post Office once, and it was very chaotic. Nopony, not even the Postmaster seemed to know exactly who was supposed to be doing what. I’m sure that things are a lot more orderly at the Ponyville Post Office.”

Ditzy breathed a sigh of relief. “Yes they are. Things don’t really get out of hand except around Hearth’s Warming eve and Hearts and Hooves Day, but that’s something that is expected with the increased volume of mail that’s sent.”

Treble and Ditzy’s conversation continued along similar lines, talking about everything from their family histories, to their jobs, memorable moments Treble had had on tour, and even some of Ditzy’s more hilarious accidents. They got their meal and ate it without stopping. The moon had risen, and on the rather quiet balcony of La Poney Fantaisie, they still had no idea what time it was. They were enjoying a cup of coffee after dinner when things started to go sideways.

A very well dressed unicorn mare walked straight over to Ditzy.

“Well now Derpy, don’t you think you’ve wasted enough of Mr. Rich and Famous’ time already?” The unicorn’s tone was snide and full of prejudice.

Ditzy, for her part, just looked down, and Treble could see that she was close to crying. Treble was about to say something about the Unicorn being rude and that Ms. Doo was his guest, but before he could even say a word the unicorn started in again.

“I don’t know why someone like Mr. Clef would waste their time with a second rate mare like you. After all, shouldn’t you be at home taking care of that child of yours?” Again, the unicorn’s tone was snide, although this time it was tinged with something more. Loathing, perhaps.

Ditzy got up and ran off without saying a word. Treble frowned as he watched her run off, tears slipping from her eyes to run down her face. He’d been having such a nice time until this unicorn went and ruined it.

“Well now that the distasteful Derpy Hooves is gone, you don’t have to worry about any adoring fans here. We all enjoy
your music Mr. Clef, but we don’t go about pestering celebrities for things here. I’m…”

Treble cut the unicorn off. He was angry. Angrier than he’d been in a long time. In one short rant, he started to vent the anger of what had just happened, as well as all the pain he’d been holding back about the band breaking up.
“I don’t care what your name is. Miss Ditzy Doo was here as my guest, and I asked her to accompany me. She was not bothering me, nor would I call her distasteful. Your actions were not only uncalled for, but any sort of favor or whatever you were after is not going to happen. I am sick and tired of the upper class socialites like yourself assuming that they are always better than the working ponies. My mother worked every day of her life, even after she married my father, who’s family is in the higher circles of Canterlot society. The poor attempt you have made at ingratiating yourself to me has failed, and you would do well to return to whatever finishing school you attended so that you can learn some real manners. Some ponies work for a living, and as far as I am concerned, they will always be more valuable than any socialite who spends their time gossiping about the sordid affairs of the rich that Nopony actually cares about!”

Treble turned to leave the very speechless unicorn, but thought better of it. He took a step closer, and decided to take a page out of his brother’s book. He’d never know what possessed him to do it.

“Good Day Madame,” Treble said as he turned sharply just before he came within a foreleg’s distance of the Unicorn. “We hope to see you soon for tea!” Treble exclaimed the last with as much of a sneer as he could, leaving the restaurant to follow after Ditzy. Hopefully he could catch up with her and salvage something of this evening.