• Published 25th Feb 2012
  • 3,168 Views, 145 Comments

Seven Ponies, Seven Trials, Seven Loves - Lieutenant Bubbles



Six ponies cast a spell to find their special somepony. But one will add herself by accident.

  • ...
11
 145
 3,168

Track 6: Ricochet (2:38)

Parts 3 & 4
Track 6: Ricochet (2:38)

*******************************************

There was a very awkward silence as Ditzy left. Nobody wanted to look at Treble. It was obvious to everypony in the room that he was smitten with Ditzy, and the way she’d run off had to hurt. Treble sat there quietly in the rather awkward stillness before leaving himself, without saying anything.

He walked down the halls towards the exit slowly, not noticing anypony that was in the hallway, lost almost entirely in his thoughts. Perhaps he’d come on too strongly, or maybe she just didn’t like him. It wasn’t as if he’d asked her to marry him. But maybe it was something wrong with him. It was a continuing loop of these questions and self depreciating thoughts that befuddled him as he left and walked towards his cousin’s house, the place where he was staying while he looked for a house of his own in Ponyville. Blank had always been a good friend, and maybe he could help…

*************************************************

Bass had decided to fly Rainbow home. He’d made quite a connection with her over the previous few days, and after the incident with Ditzy and Treble she’d seemed upset. He had no idea what was going on, but since the rest of his band mates were already on their way out of town, he had nobody else to talk to. He’d never realized just how few friends he’d actually had since he’d always had the band, and his brother. The two pegasi flew slowly over Ponyville in silence. They were nearing the edge of town, and Rainbow’s cloud home when a commotion from below caught their attention.

“YOU WORTHLESS GOOD FOR NOTHING FILLY! I OUGHTA…” A large brown Pegasus raged at a small trembling figure in the yard of one of the houses. From the air it was obvious that the house had become run down, and stuck out like an eyesore in this classy region of Ponyville. A light appeared and the outline of a slim female Pegasus was seen.

“Teach her good Sterling. Little loser, can’t even fly.” Both figures continued to advance on the shaking shadow as Bass and Rainbow began their decent towards the house.

Something about the situation had a look of horror painted on Rainbow’s face, and the look only intensified as the mare had chimed in. Bass thought he heard her mutter the word “scoots” under her breath, but he had no idea what that could mean. They were getting close now, and as they got lower and closer to the situation, things became urgent. They could see the colors of the larger pegasi now, the stallion yellow, the mare red.

“I’m gonna do what I shoulda done years ago you worthless piece of shit!” The stallion had picked something up from the yard and was now advancing towards the little figure.

“DAD NO!” A small voice shot out, every syllable tinged with fear. That voice did more to Rainbow than anything else as far as Bass had seen. Rainbow’s face swiftly changed from horror into one of anger. She folded her wings back into herself and plummeted like a rock towards the figures.

As she came close she spread her wings and landed on her hind legs only, her forelegs raised in an aggressive posture.
“Not one more step.” Bass was dropping now, eager to assist Rainbow, but still oblivious as to why she was so eager to help. Domestic violence wasn’t anything new in Equestria, and while most civilized ponies tried to stop it where they saw it, Rainbow was acting as if there was some other motivation. Bass wanted to understand the whole story of what was going on, but before he could even begin to think of what questions to ask, his world was rocked by a sharp blow to the head. Bass dropped into crisis mode, thinking on his feet.

“Rainbow, get her out of here. Don’t worry; I’ll see you at the finish line!” Bass screamed, turning towards his attacker. He didn’t want the filly seeing him do what he was about to do. He stood still for a moment, waiting to hear some cry of protest. The way the little filly had wrapped herself around Rainbow’s leg was pitiful to say the least and wasn’t anything that brought any sort of warmth to him.

He felt the air move as Rainbow’s powerful wings took her and the filly to safety. Bass only hoped that she’d understood what he’d meant by the finish line. He focused all of his attention on the stallion standing in front of him, now that he no longer had to worry about the filly or Rainbow Dash behind him. He saw the stallion preparing to swing the wooden rod again. That was perfect.

Bass caught the rod as it came swinging at his face. He quickly tucked it under his arm and pulled the other stallion close to him, his hind leg raised. He felt a satisfying connection between his leg and the stallion. Bass didn’t care where he hit this guy. He just wanted to cause the stallion pain. Attacking and bullying children was something that Bass felt should be punishable by death. And if Bass could carry out the sentence, so much the better.

Bass landed blow after blow on the stallion, leaving him a battered and bruised lump lying on the ground, immobile. Bass wasn’t sure if the stallion would live through it, but he didn’t really care either way. He spread his wings and took off in flight.

*************************************************

Bass circled the tall dome of town hall, looking for any sign of Rainbow Dash, or the filly. He’d been looking for a few moments, and hadn’t seen either of them. He flew down to the ground and decided to check in places nearby too. After all, Rainbow Dash knew the town much better than he did, and he had no real clues as to where she would go. He’d walked the streets for a bit when he saw a door open and heard Rainbow’s voice.

“Rarity let me in, I have Scootaloo!”

Bass trotted over to her, as he could see her outline in the sudden light of the door that had opened. He called out to her,
“Hey, It’s me.”

“Come in, you need to be here too.” Rainbow’s face was as serious as he’d ever seen it. He could see a white unicorn just inside, and figured that this was the same one that he’d met at the post-show. Her face also bore a very serious cast. He didn’t want to argue with such a serious face, and just walked in, following a few steps behind Rainbow Dash. As he entered he saw the orange filly sitting nearby.

“Scootaloo, go upstairs, Sweetie Belle is waiting for you. Don’t worry dear, everything will be okay.” Rarity’s voice was kind and gentle, not at all like the look she shot towards Bass and Rainbow.

“Don’t worry Scoots; I’ll be here in the morning.” Rainbow smiled kindly at the young filly, and watched as Scootaloo slowly walked upstairs.

Rarity gave a long hard look at Rainbow Dash and Bass before saying anything. “What in the world happened?” Rainbow and Bass filled her in, leaving nothing out. Bass filled Rainbow in as well as what had happened after she left. There was a moment of silence, broken only by the faint voices of the two fillies upstairs.

“Well, I had no Idea. Scootaloo can stay here with me until we come up with a plan of action….”

*****************************************************************

Treble had intended to go directly to his cousin’s house, but he seemed to end up walking in circles. He’d passed by the darkened shops on Main Street several times already. He took a turn and started walking towards the park. His mind was running in circles. He had just been shot down by the most beautiful mare he’d ever met, and in such a public place. Perhaps the song had been too much; maybe he had been going too fast for things to have worked out like he had hoped.

Treble was used to things going wrong, especially in his love life. His last relationship had been over three years ago, and that had ended so badly that he was afraid to ever go back to Manehattan. Things would have to change. Treble looked sadly at the spot where he’d seen Ditzy and Dinky playing the day before. He looked up at the autumn leaves, their colors muted in the pale moonlight. For the first time he noticed a path leading off the main that he could have sworn wasn’t there yesterday. Out of ideas on where to go, he took it. It was badly overgrown, and seemed to lead out of the park.

He followed it for a while, coming out on a little used side street. He continued to follow the road, gradually climbing up the hill. There, near the top he saw a rundown home with a battered for sale sign in the front yard. It was a definite fixer upper, and he took note of the name on the sign. Perhaps his luck would change; it would just take some time…..

**********************************************************************

Bass, Rainbow, and Rarity had been talking for what seemed like hours. Nopony there was really sure of what to do about the abuse. It was obvious that Scootaloo couldn’t go home, and they all agreed on that. Otherwise, they couldn’t seem to agree on anything. Rarity wanted to report her parents to the police, but Rainbow and Bass were against it. They’d been discussing it long enough that they were all starting to get tired. Their discussions were very suddenly interrupted by a knock at the door. Rarity got up to answer, and was shocked to see Iron Shield, the town’s Police mare standing at her door.

“I’m sorry to intrude at such a late hour Ms. Rarity, but there’s been a murder, and the only suspect was seen entering this building.” There was a shocked silence in the room. Rainbow was the first to speak up.

“Who was murdered?” She asked, wide eyed.

“Sterling Wind. His wife saw the entire attack. She’s also reporting that her daughter was kidnapped, but Scootaloo has a history of running away, and being out overnight, so we aren’t as concerned. Murder is very uncommon here, and we want to catch the perpetrator of such a heinous act as soon as possible.”

Bass stood up and stepped forward, to the shocked gasps of Rainbow and Rarity. “Ma’am, I believe you have your killer. I am the one you are looking for. I beat the living crap out of that fleabag for the way he had been treating his daughter.”

Rainbow and Rarity quietly shifted closer together, not wanting to believe what they were seeing. Bass had been defending Scootaloo, he wasn’t a murderer, but Iron Shield wasn’t going to see it that way.

“Well then, Sir, you are going to have to come with me.”

“I will go, and I will go quietly.” Bass’ head was hung low as he walked out the door and followed the police mare on to the station. Rainbow and Rarity looked at each other.

“Now we have a problem.”

“Rarity, that’s an understatement…..”