• Published 23rd Aug 2013
  • 6,659 Views, 651 Comments

Sweetie Belle Gains a Soul - Bad Dragon



In her darkest hour, Sweetie Belle finds salvation, but it comes with a terrible curse.

  • ...
45
 651
 6,659

49 - Making Ponyville My Home

Ponyville seemed to be deserted, yet there were voices coming from all sides.

“Was she not taken to a mental institution?” a raspy one said.

“I heard she escaped,” the crackling one responded.

“Watch out, she still has her horn,” the third one exclaimed.

They hid behind closed shutters and corners of buildings. I recognized most of the voices around me. They had used to be friendly with me, but at that point, there was fear and anger in every word they uttered. Breaking into their safe haven brought forth their despise. I didn’t mind the scorn. In due time, I would give their hatred form!

“Who let the Psychopath out?”

“She’s just like her tenacious grandma.”

“Not even Trixie went as far as straight-up attacking somepony.”

“Go back where you came from, you mean bully!”

My teeth were clenched, eyes watering. I wasn’t expecting a welcome party, but it still hurt seeing everypony turned against me. However, I had a plan to fix their perception of me. I just needed to get myself to the right spot. The castle mocked me over the rooftops. My destination wasn’t far anymore. There was a debt to repay. Everypony in Ponyville had a stake, but the biggest share lay with Twilight. She would be the first in line to see my true self. I decided to just ignore everypony until dealing with my nuisance at the Rainbow Kingdom Friendship Castle.

A stone hit me on the side of my chest, making me yelp in pain.

I buckled to the ground, trying to breathe. So much for the plan of ignoring their fears. I had to fight through the pain for every sip of inhaled air.

“Hurts, doesn’t it?” Diamond Tiara yelled at me from afar.

Another stone crashed beside my head, spraying sand in my face.

I quickly gathered my focus and erected a shield around me. Facing them was supposed to come later. Getting to Twilight came first on my bucket list. She was the one who had reached out to me, and I wanted to repay the favor. Her fight against me would end that day and I intended for her to witness it first-hoof.

I scrambled on my legs and inspected the scrape on my chest. The spot where the stone hit me bulged out and I could see redness through my coat. It looked as bad as it hurt, which was a lot. The ache radiated from the impact zone as if a creature clawed through my ribs. I clenched my teeth and worked through the pain like one of my friends had taught me. My condition was still well enough for the execution of the plan and that was all that mattered. I just needed to get into the vicinity of Twilight.

The score with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon would have to be settled at a later time. Twilight was most deserving of my attention. I needed to pay her a visit first. Everypony else would have to wait their turn. I didn’t want to deal with all of them at once. Not yet.

A stone hit against my shield and bounced away. The magic barrier would hold even if it was bombarded with boulders. Twilight was the only pony in town capable of taking me down. That wouldn’t happen, though.

Determined to end things my way, I dragged my battered body toward Twilight’s castle. While I strode through the streets of Ponyville, I could sense multiple eyes on me. Whenever I turned my gaze on them, heads of ponies turned away. It annoyed me, but I didn’t let them distract me from the plan. After what I was about to do, they wouldn’t be inclined to hide anymore. All their fears would be subdued, soon enough.

Only a straight path separated me from Friendship Rainbow Kingdom castle, and I was closing the distance. A crowd of ponies gathered at the entrance. They banged on the patched door while glancing at me in panic. Many voices were calling out to Twilight, but she wouldn’t be the one to save them from a horrible monster. I was to become a slayer. If the execution was needed, I would be the one performing it. Things were wrong in my head, and I needed to set them right again. My way!

A grin snuck on my face as the door crashed down when Twilight tried to open it from the inside. The broken wood on the floor testified to my last visit. The scrapes under her coat and two wing braces were even more telling of our relationship thus far. She had bandages all over her body. A big one, the size of a diaper, was plastered on her flank.

The destruction I’ve already caused justified the plan for the future. I wished I could just wave a hoof and cast aside my recent past. Yet, much more was needed. It would take a royal sacrifice to appease my future life.

She stepped onto the fallen door lying on the stairs and walked out into the open.

I was closing in on the crowd. Ponies gazed at me while slowly backing toward the castle’s wall.

“Everypony, keep your distance, this might turn messy!” Twilight exclaimed as she glanced left and right at the nearby ponies.

She didn’t understand what was coming. Nopony did. “When the monster pays you a visit, you can be sure things are about to get messy.” I lit up my horn.

“Everypony, run!” Twilight yelled and erected a shield around herself.

Ponies galloped away from us. Not one dared to cross the line marked by our mutual glares.

“I’m the one that hurt you, Sweetie Belle. I’m the one you’re after.” She glanced at the dispersing ponies then turned back to me.

I smiled a little. She had no idea what she was about to witness. I wasn’t in the mood for small talk, though. My actions alone were bound to enlighten her plenty. Without delay, I began casting the razorblade spell.

I heard myself whisper, “Sweetie Belle, you have a clear shot. Take it!”

Oh, I’m gonna take it, alright. You can bet on it. The nuisance before me is as good as gone.

Use the opportunity presented to you, Sweetie Belle.” My lips kept moving, and I couldn’t even force them shut anymore. “This is the last chance we’ll get. Kill her! Don’t be a failure, anymore! You can blame it on me afterward, just like you did with everything else that had transpired since you were blessed with me and my power. But do not hesitate!”

Everything was clear to me at that point. You can’t make an omelet without breaking an egg. Sometimes, the harm just can’t be avoided. And for a change, I agreed with Sombra in my head. There was no room for hesitation. That time around, I would pull through with what I had set out to do. My way!

Within my horn, I cycled the channels to make them self-sustainable. I spread them out and let my mana through the horn to power up the spell. Nopony could stop it after the energies materialized, and the formation was nearing completion. The energies were flowing in a disk formation within my horn. They also extended outside of it, even though, I haven’t projected and materialized the spell yet.

It was done. The magic construction cut through shield, channels, flesh and bone.

If Twilight played offensive, she would have a chance of stopping it to that point. I did need some time to cast it and it would be hard if I had to defend against her attacks while focusing on my final spell.

She did not go into the offense but kept herself back behind her useless shield. There was nothing that could stop me anymore.

The energies gained visual form. The ring around my horn was closing into a disk.

My body tensed. Just thinking about doing the deed was enough to make me feel the jitters. Putting an end to what I’ve known for so long—what I’ve adored for so long. Yet, there was no other way. That time around, there would be no turning back from Twilight. Running away was not what best pony would do. If I were to rise beyond what I was, I first had to show that I had it in me. She needed to see that I could make big decisions on my own. Finally, I was prepared. The opportunity to prove my self-control dawned on me, and the inner-drive to fulfill the plan only grew stronger.

At that moment, I felt myself being pulled back in my mind with greater force than ever before. The lips moved on their own, and I whispered to myself, “Sweetie Belle, if you do this, you’ll regret it forever. Allow me to assume the control and permanently fix all your problems.”

Even if it were true, I wouldn’t take a backseat for the butchery. Staying passive within my dark mental cocoon would be the biggest piece on the pile of my regrets. It was time to close the chapter and turn over a new leaf. The control was mine to have, and I intended to keep it that way. It had to be me doing the act of violence. My eyes shot forward with determination as my lips morphed into a grin. “No hesitation!” The flow rushed forth and the outer edges of the disk gained visual form.

Twilight reinforced her shield. It turned so dark that I could hardly see her through it, but it didn’t matter. Her shield was of no relevance. Not for the spell in casting. What I was about to do was significant, so I decided to go out with a song. I murmured its chorus.

I’m breaking the barrier

Can’t pin me on the road

I guided my entire mana-pool behind the spell. It was overkill in the making, to say the least, but I wanted it done that way. I cast the spell as if it were my last—because it was my last.

I’m breaking the barrier

Now watch me explode!

A blinding glow illuminated the surroundings. Sparks filled the air while the disk screamed in a distinctly low pitch sound. A happy, sad melody to my ears.

The spell faded away as quickly as it appeared. I gasped at the sight of what I have done. The flash reminded me of my cutie mark. I caressed the shooting star on my flank with a hoof to distract myself. The bright object’s brief existence was impactful. The disk achieved exactly what I wanted it to. To make a fit, I had to trim off my nuisance. It was like cutting through butter. The thump on the ground represented the closure I had secretly yearned for. The final gift to her would set me free.

I glanced at the motionless Twilight under the fading shield before me. Her mouth was agape, eyes widespread.

I sipped some air through my nostrils and gazed forth. My clenched teeth prevented my screaming. I had known beforehoof she’d be surprised at my present if only I was able to deliver it. And I did! The last obstacle in my path was disposed of. It felt like a victory because my true nemesis no longer had an upper hoof over me.

Twilight got what was coming to her. Yet, there was one more thing I could do. In order to bring our unfortunate encounter to its necessary end, I wanted to make my intentions clear as day. She wanted a part of me, and I intended to oblige her. I was driven to present the memento in person: a piece of me, for her. “Plan C fulfilled.”

My vision blurred, but I still had enough strength for the last giveaway. I looked down at my cut off horn on the paved path under me. A tear fell from my snout and splattered on the bony surface. At that point, I knew very well that I would never be whole again. Even if there was a way to reverse the damage, I wouldn’t make use of it. I wasn’t worthy of the magic power; not after everything I’d done. My redemption was way overdue. It was time to let go of my glorious destiny. Forever. I’d wipe the slate clean to forge my own future for myself.

Right after I kicked my nuisance toward Twilight, I buckled to the ground. The horn rolled on the dirt then abruptly stopped as it hit the shield.

The barrier dissipated as Twilight gasped. “Sweetie Belle...” She walked forth. Her teeth clenched when she glanced at my horn on the pavement.

The silhouette before me faded fast, but she needed to know! I took a big breath of air and yelled out as loud as I could, “I’m sorry for everything!” The surrounding world spun, and I couldn’t keep my balance, anymore. The shaky foreleg crumpled, and I fell to my side. I lifted my head and extended a forehoof toward Twilight. “Please forgive me.”

A rapid flickering broke through Twilight’s patch.

She looked back at her flank. “Friendship mission completed? No! She’s not saved yet. My work is not done here. Far from it!”

Just before my head slammed down, I felt the cushy caress of Twilight’s shield on my body. It embraced me and lifted me up from the dirt I was drenched in.

I closed both eyes and let myself go in the magical hug.

Author's Note:

Don't forget to participate in the Comment section minigames when you're done reading this chapter.

GDoc