• Published 18th Sep 2013
  • 569 Views, 60 Comments

A Hero in need - DrakeFang



It's been a few years since DrakeFang's wife died, yet he never got over it. A fateful encounter forces Pinkie to bring in her match making skills once more, and restore her old friend to who he once was.

  • ...
13
 60
 569

Chapter 3: Finally home

Chapter 3: Finally home

As the three walked on, a sudden tremor forced them to lay down on the ground. Out of reflex, Drake rested his hoof slightly over Moonshine's back. When the tremor settled, the three ponies looked at each other. "Are we all OK?", Aza asked right away. Drake and Moon just nodded at the question. "Wut wus that?", Moonshine asked the two. She had a feeling that the stallions with her knew about the earthquake. "This earthquake had been coming for a while. We're lucky we were here at a safe spot in the open.", Drake replied.

"So uhm...", Moon began hesitantly, "ah ain't goin' back home fer a while, so, where can ah go fer nah"? Azaxol smiled at Drake, who replied with yet another nod. "You can stay at Sugar Cube Inn, miss Moonshine. It's free of charge, so you don't need bits." Moon smiled and began following Azaxol back to Sugar Cube Corner whereas Drake went his own way, back to his own house. He looked back at Moonshine and turned his head away when she glanced back. Drake felt a slight spark ignite in himself somehow. He hadn't felt such a spark in a long time.

As he returned home, a red colt came running up to him, having little tears in his eyes. It was terrible to watch an 8 year-old colt cry. When Drake lowered himself to Hot Shot's level, he asked him what was wrong. "Dad, our house, it's..." Hot guided his father to their house, which had been completely levelled. Barely anything remained, yet at the side of the rubble, two moderate sized chests were standing. "Dirt told me to take anything valuable to us and put them in those chests, so that's what we did." With 'Dirt', Hot Shot meant Dirt Block, one of Drake's first friends when he came to Equestria. "I guess it's time then. Let's go, Hot." The colt followed his father to the one place they figured they could go.

Sugar Cube Corner.

By now, Azaxol had left for his room when Moonshine had received hers. She began chatting a little with Pinkie, who was listening to her story excitedly, giggling occasionally. "Yeah, that's Drake for you, alright. He saved me multiple times as well.", she said, and Moon's eyes were sparkling a little. "He really IS a hero, huh?", she asked Pinkie, kinda knowing the answer already. "Yeah, he is~", she replied with a smile. A short bit later, Hot came trotting into the lobby, standing in front of Pinkie. "Pinkie's eyes widened a tiny bit as she looked at the colt. "Hot Shot? What are you doing here, sweetie?" She picked him up and glanced at the door, where Drake stood.

"Oh, I see. Hey, Dr-" She stopped her sentence as she saw the two chests next to Drake. His eyes were slightly teared up. Not only had his wife been gone, but now, his house had too. Nothing of his old life remained. She set Hot down on a couch, slowly walking over to Drake. Embracing him, she cried and whispered "I'm so sorry" to Drake. Letting go of him, she wiped away a tear. "I've got a family room ready, Drake. It may not be like home, but-" Drake stopped her talking by raising his hoof. Though the tears rolled off it, a small smile filled his face.

"Diane...I am home."

With those words, Drake picked up Hot placing the colt on his back, took the keys and went to the room with the same number as on the keys, entering it. Moon walked over to Pinkie. "Is he alraht?", she asked with a worried look on her face. Pinkie sighed a bit. "He's been going through rough times..." As she looked up at Moon, a warm, hopeful smile appeared on her face. "But maybe you can help him~", she replied playfully. "M-Me? Wut can ah do?"

"I'll tell you later, sweetie~", Pinkie said playfully. I need to know for sure first..., she thought.

Once more, Pinkie's matchmaking instinct was surfacing...