• Published 15th Aug 2013
  • 18,267 Views, 643 Comments

The Ranger's Journey - Silentpegasus



Due to the recent animal activity from the Everfree Forest, Princess Celestia has sent an agent from The Academy. What will happen when a certain librarian starts to fall for the crimson haired warrior?

  • ...
47
 643
 18,267

Chapter XXX: The Ball

Chapter XXX

The Ball

“Ow! Careful!” The red mage said as he looked back at the Changeling.

“Well, hold still.” The man rolled his eyes. “I mean it, or else I might take your ear off.” The man grumbled as the man allowed the mage to cut his hair. “Oh your just as bad as Ivy.”

“If I were Ivy then you’d already be a pile of ash.”

“True.” Crimson looked in the mirror and saw that the Changeling had her hair in a bun and was being held by a pair of needles. Two locks on hung on the sides of her face. Her dress was a light purple to match her hair with a single strap over her right shoulder. It went down to her ankles and complimented her black high heels. At the hip part of her dress was an imprint of a black spider wed.

“What do you think? Like the outfit?”

“Yeah you look great.” Their bathroom door opened to reveal the blue winged flyer in a navy blue jacket, pants, white collared shirt and a light blue tie. His blue hair was spiked up by whatever gel he put in it.

“You two done yet?” He asked impatiently.

“Almost.” Rouge said as she continued cutting.

“So where’s your suit?” Crimson pointed to a hangar that had a black bag over it. The three then heard a knock on the door.

“Who’s there?”

“Who do you think?” The three recognized the dragon slayer’s voice. Cobalt walked over and opened the door. The green flyer was donning a long, strapless, light green dress that clung to her form and accentuated her natural physique. The bottom edge of the dress had darker green flames imprinted into the fabric and seemed to move each time she stepped forwards. Her hair was wavy and she had matching lime green mascara and eyeliner.

“Nice.” Cobalt said with a nod.

“How’s the patient?” She asked as she closed the door and looked at the unhappy red mage.

“Don’t ask.”

“Too late.” She chimed.

“And done!” Rouge said as she put down the scissors. Crimson looked in the mirror and saw that she had taken a bit off his head. His hair was now just little bit past the middle of his neck in the back and was combed back in the front which allowed his usually covered face to be revealed.

“Thanks Rouge.” He said as he looked over the job.

“Good, now I have to do my make up.” She said as she went into the bathroom. Crimson groaned and reached towards his hair. The man then saw a purple needle fly in front of his face and stick into the wall. “Don’t even think about it.” Crimson looked to his left to see Rouge sticking her head out of the doorway with another needle in her hand.

“It took me forever to get your hair like that, so don’t screw it up. Got it?” She frowned at the man.

“Yes, ma’am.” He gulped. Rouge went back towards the bathroom and started to apply her makeup. Crimson looked at Cobalt who had a smirk on his face. “What?”

“Nice to see you get smacked around every once in a while.”

“Yeah, yeah. Get your laughs while you can.” Crimson then turned towards Ivy. “Why are you so dolled up?”

“I’m going to the dance too you dunce.”

“I mean with who? You don’t get all gussied up unless you’re going with a date.”

“I’m going with Mac.”

“AJ’s brother?” The green mage nodded. “When did you two become a couple?” The man folded his arms and raised an eyebrow.

“Just before the trials.” Cobalt said as he put on some cologne.

“Haven’t seen him around much. Why’s that?” The two flyers gave a shrug.

“Anyway the others will be there too.” Ivy said with a sly grin. “Twilight too.” Crimson’s face turned a deep red as he remembered the incident that was interrupted by Spike.

“S-so?” He said hoping that Ivy wouldn’t notice his blush.

She did.

“Means you have the opportunity for some sweet, sweet lovin.” Cobalt said as he put an arm around the mage. Crimson gave him a hard slug in the gut for the comment. “Worth it.”

“Just shut it.” He said as he crossed his arms. Ivy chuckled and threw him his clothes on the hangar.

“Oh quit griping and get dressed. You and Ivory have to be down there soon.” Ivy said as she left the room.

“Fine.” He said as he grabbed his clothes and headed back to his own room to get dressed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The castle halls were decorated with banners and a red carpet was laid out in the main hallway. A set of massive double doors opened to reveal the massive ballroom. The stone floors made the ladies’ heels echo from one end of the room to the other. Several of the students were already down in the main hall talking and joking with one another. Every man was in a suit and all the women wore elegant gowns or dresses.

Several of the mens’ eyes nearly shot out of their heads when they saw the six beauties enter. The first one most of the men saw was a rainbow. A magnificent and athletic rainbow, donning a robin egg blue dress that seemed to shift into a rainbow that wrapped around her form, and had a single sash over her left shoulder.

On the far left was a woman donning a decorated brown leather Stetson hat with a red apple imprinted on the underside of the brim, that sat proudly on top of her golden blonde hair that was fashioned in a long braid that hung to just above her behind. The top half of her dress was a brown, modest looking corset with a red apple in the center. The bottom of her dress was light green that matched the straps that helped hold up her dress by tying around her neck. She was also wearing a pair of green gloves that went up her forearm.

Next to her was a pink haired girl donning a light pink dress coated with different kinds of candy. A bright pink bow was presented proudly on her pink blouse. Her midsection was covered in a spiral of light blue and white. A tiny white hat with a bow sat on the part of her curly locks.

To the right of the blue winged beauty was a violet haired woman wearing a long wine colored dress. The waves in the dress were accented by yellow waves that matched her tiara that held up her violet locks of hair. She wore a beautiful necklace that matched the rest of her ensemble.

To her right was a girl that looked to be the pure definition of grace and beauty. She was donning a flowing green dress that was only accented by the yellow stripe running through it. Her light pink hair was held back by a teal butterfly hair clip that matched her eyes to a key. A similar butterfly pattern was at the center of her dress.

Lastly, tying the entire ensemble together, a dress that was like that of a calm night sky. At the edge of her dress were patterns of stars. Her indigo hair was in a bun that was held there by a bright blue star. Two curled strands hung at the sides of her face and accented her amethyst colored eyes. Her dress had a large collar that went behind her back and wrapped around her arms and showed off her exposed shoulders. In the center was a magnificent white star that drew attention to the scholar’s chest.

“Wowie, zowie! This place looks amazing!” Pinkie said with a wide grin.

“I must say that the sight is rather breath taking.” Rarity said as she looked at the decor. The girls then spied the blue winged flyer with his arm wrapped around his date’s arm.

“Wow, you guys look awesome!” Cobalt said as he looked at the girls.

“That dress is marvelous!” Rarity said as she looked at Rouge. “Where did you get it?”

“Made it myself.” She smiled as she spun around so the seamstress could see her work. Rarity felt the fabric and raised an eyebrow.

“What kind of fabric is this?”

“It’s not fabric. 100% spider silk.” The seamstress gave a nervous laugh and cleared her throat.

“Interesting use of material.” Rouge shrugged and the scholar looked at the two in confusion.

“Where’s Crimson?” Dash asked.

“Yeah, where is the guest of honor anyways?” The farmer said as she looked around the place.

“He and Ivory are getting ready.”

“For what?” As the words left the scholar’s lips, the lights dimmed down and everyone fell silent. A spotlight shined at the far end of the hall. The can wielding man appeared before the students and was wearing a jet black suit with an electric green tie.

“I’ll keep this brief. Those that are here today have proven that they are powerful beyond measure.” The crowd gave a small clap. “Now it is with great pride that I announce the elite among the elite.” Everyone held their breath as they saw a massive board appear over their heads. “In second place, with a score of 12,950, Ivory Knightwalker.” The crowd cheered.

The audience gasped when they saw light fill the room and Ivory, wearing a flowing white dress that gave her body the credit it deserves. Crow gave the girl a hearty smile and pulled out a long decorative saber. As the woman’s white gloved hand touched the handle it glowed with magnificent white light and it shifted. When the light vanished the crowd saw that the handle had two magnificent angle wings sprouting outwards from the base of the blade. The blade itself was a magnificent white and was straight as an arrow.

The woman gave him a bow and stepped to the side. “In first place, with a score of 13,150, Crimson Storm.” The cheers were even louder than before. The bright light that Ivory created was then swallowed up by a dark red shadow that split into three parts and swirled in a circle. The three parts then shot downwards and solidified to show the man.

The group’s jaws dropped at the man’s appearance. His red hair was combed back and was well groomed. He was donning a long red leather coat with gold trim around the cuffs and shoulders. Underneath the coat was a deep wine colored vest with golden buttons. His dress pants were jet black. He wore a pair of dark, shined boots with a slight heel to them. Crimson’s dark eyes looked at Ivory who gave him a respectful nod.

Crimson approached the cane wielding man who had a smile on his face. Crimson gripped the saber and unsheathed the blade. The blade glowed a bright red and started to shift. A moment later the handle was black curled around the man’s hand. The blade was curved and was dark red.

“May these blades protect you wherever you go.” The crowd all clapped as the to gave a bow. Crimson and Ivory sheathed their blades and attached them to their sides. The crowd cleared a path for them as they made their way off the elevated part of the hall. “Now let’s party!” As Crow said the words, music filled the room and the students all cheered.

Crimson was approached by several other students and teachers who congratulated both him and Ivory. The two then departed and Crimson caught up with his teammates.

“Nice!” Cobalt said as he high five’d him. The blue flyer then looked at his ensemble and nodded. “Told you you’d look awesome.”

“Ugh.” Crimson said as he cracked his back. “This outfit doesn’t breath.” He groaned.

“Well, I think it looks fabulous!” Crimson looked to his right to see Rarity and the other four girls. His eyes shrank as he saw their elegant ensembles.

“Nice to see you guys too.” He looked at Dash and AJ and shrugged. “You two clean up well.”

“Yeah, but its still a pain.” Dash said as she crossed her arms. Rainbow let out a chuckle at the coat. “Seriously dude?”

“I know. I’m not a big fan of it either.” Crimson felt someone tap his shoulder. The man turned around and froze on the spot. Next to Ivy and Mac, who was donning a brown suit with a green tie to match his eyes, was Twilight wearing her stunning blue dress. He instantly felt hot under the collar and gulped.

“Looks good on you.” Ivy said with a smile. Crimson gave her a slight nod and was busy trying to hide his blush from the indigo haired scholar. Twilight was trying to do the same. Ivy gave the group a wink. They all nodded.

“Well, ah’m gonna see what kind of grub they have here. Com’n RD?”

“Right behind ya!” The two said as they vanished into the crowd.

“We’re gonna go get something to drink.” Rouge said as she lead Cobalt away.

“Wait up.” Ivy said as she dragged Mac with her. The pink party animal then bounced, literally bounced away towards the dance floor. Rarity gave them both a smile and joined her friends near the refreshments. The two mages then realized that their friends had left their sides and they only remained.

The realization hit both of them like a runaway freight train and they both felt an awkward silence fall between them. Twilight nervously rubbed her right arm and gulped.

“Some party.” She said with a nervous grin.

“Yeah, always interesting.” Crimson commented.

Dear maker what is wrong with me? The man thought with a gulp.

Don’t stand there looking like an idiot. Say something!

Like?

I don’t know compliment her dress or something.

“You look nice.” He said trying to avoid eye contact. Twilight felt her face flush deeper and smiled.

“Thanks, so do you. Where did you get it?”

“Got it from Transylmania from a customer.” He said as he looked at the coat. “I think he said that it belonged to some noble member of his family.” Twilight looked at him with wide eyes. “He insisted that I take it. Didn’t want to look at it anymore. Said it brought up bad memories or something like that.”

Twilight gave a nod and a nervous smile. “What about yours? I’m assuming Rarity made it for you?”

“Yeah, this was actually my dress I wore to the Gala a year ago.” She said as she shivered at the memories. “Hopefully this time things will turn out better.”

“I’m not too sure about that.”

“Why?”

“Every time we have a party someone starts something and it spreads to the entire crowd and a formal dance then turns into a full on brawl.”

“How bad?”

“It makes the Gala incident look like one of Rarity’s weekly spa visits.” Twilight gave a gulp. “Yeah, its almost like tradition here.” The scholar then had a disappointed look on her face. “Granted that probably won’t happen until later. So we still have a bit of fun before that.”

“Oh good.” She smiled.

Across the room, the group of girls and fighters were silently watching the two mages from afar.

“This isn’t good.” Ivy said. “Crimson sucks at small talk.”

“Same with Twi.” Dash stated. The changeling then remembered something.

“Um guys, I think we may be forgetting something important.”

“What?” Cobalt asked. Rouge pointed towards the crowd and the group spied Angel wearing a white dress. “Oh. That’s not good.”

“Looks like we gotta play defense.” Ivy said as the group huddled up. “Okay guys our objective is to get Crimson alone with Twilight. Got it?” The group nodded. “To do that we need to ward off Angel and any other people that would try to get between them.”

“How?” Fluttershy asked.

“We each take a position and we send feedback to one another.” Rouge stated.

“How? We ain’t psychic.” AJ stated. Rouge’s eyes glowed and the group all felt something shock their heads.

I’ve opened up a telepathic link between all of us. Just think something and we’ll all hear it. The group heard the Changeling’s voice inside their heads. “Ivy, keep an eye on Angel from above and tell us if she tries anything.”

“Got it boss.” The green flyer saluted and flew up to one of the support beams.

“We’ll keep an eye on Crimson and Twilight.” Cobalt said. “Rest of you try to run interference to keep the vultures away from them.” The girls all nodded. “Okay, lets get to work. Break!” The small team took up positions and quietly watched the two mages like hawks waiting for their prey to make a mistake and go in for the kill.

Crow smirked as he viewed the warriors and the other five elements watching the two. He grabbed a drink and made his way over to Princess Celestia. The sun Goddess sat down at a nearby table as Crow handed her a drink.

“Thank you.” She smiled.

“My pleasure. Nice to see that some of us are having fun.”

“What do you mean?” Crow pointed at the red mage and her student. Celestia’s eyes shrank. “They’re only talking Crow. Anything can happen.”

“Right you are Princess. Right you are.” He grinned. Celestia gulped at the words. A smile then spread across her face as she saw a girl with white hair start to approach them with Crimson in her sights. Her smile then shattered when Pinkie soon blocked her path and the two were gone the next time Angel looked over.

“Crow!” Celestia frowned.

“Don’t look at me Tia. I didn’t tell anyone to do anything. Scouts honor.” He said as he raised his right hand. “Looks like I’m not the only one who’s noticed their behavior and they’re taking some initiative.”

“True, but things always change.” She smirked.

Across the room. Dash was discretely looking at the two mages and had a very bored look on her face. The girl groaned and rested her head on her hand.

“Hey theres the flyer we wanted to see.” Dash’s head turned to see Spitfire and Soarin. Both in military blue uniforms. Dash’s first instinct was to squeal like a fan girl, but quickly and wisely smothered it like the last embers in a knocked apart campfire.

“Oh hey Soarin, Spitfire.” She said with a smile.

“Yeah nice to see you too. Never really got to talk when we saw you all at the Gala.” Dash shuddered at the memories.

“Yeah, sorry about all that.”

“Sorry?” Soarin said in surprise. “You guys saved that night!”

“Really?” Dash asked.

“Oh yeah, I was bored out of my skull.” Spitfire said as she made a sour face. “You Ponyville folk know how to party.” Dash was trying her best to stop herself from fainting at the kind words from her idols. “Hey you wanna hang out wit us? This weak stuff ain’t doing it for me.”

“We managed to sneak in some hard cider.” Soarin chuckled. Dash was a bit conflicted. The flyer gulped and looked over at Pinkie who was still keeping Angel at bay. Ivy was still in the rafters and had the ice mage in her sight.

I’m sure that these guys can handle it.

“Sure. Lead the way.” The two Wonderbolts smiled and led the rainbow haired girl out on the fringes of the party. Applejack and Rarity were over by the punch bowl and kept their eyes on the crowd.

“Hello ladies.” The two looked over to see the card user and gunslinger with smiles on their faces. The gunslinger had a brown leather Stetson with a black band around it. The hat was perfectly made for the brown suit. The card user’s dark green hair was combed back and was wearing a nice green suit with a black tie and vest.

“Howdy Ace, Bandit.” AJ said as she tipped her hat to the two men.

“Told you that other people would be wearing hats.” Bandit said as he glared at the man.

“Whatever. I still say that you shouldn’t wear that thing to a ball.” Ace said as he reached for the hat.

“Touch the hat and I’ll break your hand.” Bandit said with a stern look on his face. Rarity then noticed that the cowboy had a pistol on him.

“Why do you have that thing?”

“Don’t feel right without it.” He said as he took it out of its holster and twirled it in his fingers.

“Nice piece. Mac’s got an old shotgun back at the farm.” AJ commented as he put the pistol back in its holster.

“You’re a farmer?”

“Eeyup. Mac and I run Sweet Apple Acres.” The girl said in a proud tone.

“Sweet Apple Acres.” The man repeated as he thought. “Do you know a guy named Braeburn?”

“Sure do! He’s mah cousin down in Appleloosa. Why?”

“Ran into him on a job. Gave me a case of your family’s cider after I cleared out a pack of timber wolves that had made a den in their south Orchard. He mentioned that your family had a farm in some town just outside of Canterlot.”

“You’re a fan of our cider?”

“Sure am. I can down two bottles of your Applejack Daniels without breaking a sweat.”

“Applejack Daniels?” Rarity looked at the apple farmer who pulled her hat down over her face. “Is that-”

“Yes, the drink is named after me.” She then turned her attention back to the cowboy. “So you fancy yourself a drinker eh?”

“When the situation calls for it.” He grinned. “Haven’t met a person who can drink me under the table yet.” AJ frowned and walked up to the man so that the brims of their hats were touching.

“Is that a challenge?” She said as she narrowed her eyes.

“Only if you make it one.”

“Bandit, don’t.” Ace said trying to talk the gunslinger out of it.

“AJ dear, might I remind you that-”

“The others can handle the job.” She said as she took off her gloves and cracked her knuckles. “Got anything heavier than this wine soda stuff?”

“Its champagne.” Ace said with a sigh.

“Whatever, this weak stuff ain’t the tools for what we gotta do.”

“Ahem.” The farmer looked at the bandit who pulled out a bottle of Zap Apple Whiskey and two shot glasses. “I believe that this should be just what we need for our little competition.”

“Perfect.” AJ sat down at a table and the man followed her.

“I think your friend just signed her death warrant.” Ace said as he looked at the violet haired girl.

“Why? If anything, Applejack can hold her drink.”

“I’m not saying that she can’t. Just that Bandit is the best drinker out of the graduates.” Rarity looked at him in shock. “I saw him drink an entire bar filled with Firefighters under the table.” Rarity’s jaw hit the floor.

“Is he an alcoholic?”

“No, that was only once and he doesn’t drink all the time.” He said as he sipped his champagne. “On another note, where did you and your friends get their dresses from? They look amazing.” Rarity gave a smile.

“I designed and made them myself.”

“Really? You’re quite the designer then.”

“Oh thank you darling.” Rarity chimed.

As the two continued talking Angel managed to ditch Pinkie via ice clone and started her hunt for the red mage.

Um Rouge, I lost Angel. Pinkie thought as her thoughts were broadcasted to the Changeling.

What?

She used one of those ice clones. I’m not sure where she went.

Ivy, you got her?

Hang on. The green flyer looked down at the crowd and her eyes scanned the crowd. Looks like Dash flew the coop, Rarity and AJ are talking with Ace and Bandit. Fluttershy is still hiding behind the plant in the far right corner.

Should have seen that one coming. The Changeling face palmed.

Got her! Uh-oh.

What?

She’s closing in on Crimson.

Well, someone do something! We’re so close here!

I’m too far away. Cobalt interjected as he tried fighting through the crowd. What should we do? Rouge bit her lip and her mind raced for an answer.

Broken Arrow! A silence fell over the psychic link and all hell broke loose.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You’re kidding.” Crimson said as he sipped his drink and looked at the scholar who shook her head. “So you’re telling me that Celestia holds meetings late cause she likes sleeping in?”

“Yup. Once when I was still in Canterlot, I saw her passed out on her desk with a blindfold over her eyes.” She giggled. Crimson gave a chuckle.

“Crow is the same way. He’s always been lazy.” The two had been talking for over two hours. Crimson still couldn’t believe the wisdom and insight the young woman had. Crimson gulped and his mind was drawing a blank. Before he could think of anything to say the two heard what sounded like a bomb going off.

“Evergreen!” The red mage heard a very pissed of Angel yell. Crimson looked over and saw that she had a red punch stain on her white dress.

Crimson owes me big time! The flyer thought as she dodged a few magical blasts. The blasts were deflected and hit a few people. One of the blasts hit a black winged man who lost his balance and accidentally knocked his white captain’s arm. Ivory had previously been holding a slice of strawberry cheesecake.

Time slowed as she saw the dessert drop to the floor. Ivory looked back at her teammate with a look that could make an Ursa Major piss itself.

“That was the last piece.” She said as she bore holes through the man.

“I-Ivory c-calm down-” was all he got out before a white gloved fist sent him rocketing into the crowd. Within five seconds, every person was in a brawl with one another. Applejack and Bandit were on their tenth shot and refused to give up.

Crimson grabbed Twilight’s hand and the two ducked underneath a nearby table. Twilight was completely dumbfounded as she saw several students firing bolts at one another.

“Like bucking clockwork.” Crimson said with a sigh. The two saw the card user create a dome shield around himself and Rarity to shield from a cake that had been launched. They then saw several students get blasted by a cyan cannon that Pinkie was operating. Where she got it from we may never know.

Amidst the chaos, the two Stetson wearing competitors continued to drink. A yellow winged mage attempted to bullrush the gun slinger, but was stopped as Bandit raised his revolver and pulled the trigger. The magic bullet hit the man dead on and forced him back into the fray, all without taking his eyes off the apple farmer.

Another man was about to tackle Applejack but stopped when the farmer shot her fist up and the fighter dropped like a ton of bricks as the hard knuckles met his face.

“Pretty strong, for a girl.” The intoxicated gunslinger teased.

“Not a bad shot, for a lightweight.” She drunkenly giggled. Fluttershy had soon made herself scarce and was hiding underneath one of the tables. Crow was in hysterics as all three Princesses looked a the display with jaws hanging low.

“Are thou not going to stop this?” Luna asked.

“Why would I want to do that?” Crow said as he wiped a tear from his eyes. The man then felt a magic blast hit him square in the jaw and the man landed flat on his back.

“Crow!” Celestia said as she knelt down next to the man.

“Oh this takes me back.” He chuckled as he sat up.

“If you won’t put a stop to this insanity then I-”

“Oh come now Tia. Let them have their fun.” He said as he stood up. “At least a little while longer.” Crow flashed Cadence a glance with his eyes. Cadence followed the man’s line of sight and a coy smile appeared on her face when she saw Twilight and Crimson hiding under the same table.

Back across the battle ground, sat the two mages under the table. Crimson was biting his lip as he tried to make a decision. Normally he’d already be neck deep in the brawl and kicking all kinds of ass, but on the other hand he had Twilight who despite her magical prowess, had zero exposure to this kind of the senseless violence that Crimson and every other fighter savored. The man snapped out of his thought process when the table took a direct magical blast and turned to dust.

“C’mon!” Crimson grabbed Twilight’s hand and the two raced across the battle field.

“There he is!” Crimson looked up and saw several other students aiming to tackle him. The red haired mage grabbed Twilight and wrapped his arms around her. The two mages’ bodies turned into shadow and quickly zipped out of the room.

Crow caught notice of this and looked at Celestia with a wicked grin on his face.

“Come Tia.” He said with a smirk. “Time to see about our...agreement.” Celestia looked at Crow and back at the brawl.

“What about this mess?” She asked as she dodged a rogue magic bolt. The man sighed and stepped forwards. He adjusted his wire rim glasses and tapped his cane twice. The Princesses then felt a massive amount of magic erupt from the man. The three looked in amazement as the students al started to pass out one by one.

Flyers dropped from their flight and hit the ground. Soon everyone in the room, besides Crow and the Princesses were unconscious on the ball room floor.

“There. Happy?” He said as he let out a sigh. As he walked past the Princesses they looked at the man in shock and back at the piles of students that were affected by the man’s magic. “Don’t worry about them. They’ll be fine.” He said as he waved a hand. Celestia let out a sigh and followed the man.

“Luna, Cadence. I shall see you two in the morning.” She said with a smile. The Two Princesses gave her and the man a nod and teleported off to their rooms.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The red and indigo haired mage rematerialized in a hallway far away from the main hall. Crimson sat down and started panting heavily. He had sweat on his brow and was running low on magic. Twilight shook her head and got her wits together.

“You okay?” Crimson asked as he stood up.

“Yeah.” Twilight then noticed his condition. “What about you?”

“Been worse. I’m still not back to 100%.” He sighed.

“So where are we now?” Twilight asked as she looked around.

“Looks like the tower.”

“Tower?”

“Where I live.” He said as he pointed to a door at the top. The two climbed the steps and Crimson opened the door to his room. Twilight looked at the living space and looked around his room.

“Why live all the way up here?” Crimson smiled and led her out towards the pair of double glass doors that lead out towards the balcony. The two walked out and Twilight’s jaw dropped as she saw the school being illuminated by Luna’s night sky. Twilight’s eyes were the size of dinner plates as she took in the beauty. The night air bit at the scholar’s exposed skin and she shivered.

“Cold?” The man asked as he stood next to her.

“A little. I’m fine though.” She said as she rubbed her arms. The scholar then felt something come over her shoulders and her face flushed a deep red. She felt the object and realized that it was the man’s red leather coat. “Its beautiful here.”

“Yup, but I have to leave it.” He sighed. Twilight’s heart sank as she remembered what the blue flyer had told her and her friends a few days ago.

“Right, you and the other graduates are getting reassigned.” Twilight said in a disappointed tone. “Where will you go?”

“Not sure. It’s a grab bag.” He sighed. The man looked up at the sky and gazed at the moon. Twilight felt her heart being crushed. She couldn’t take it any more and threw her arms around the man. “T-Twilight, what are you-” He stopped talking when he felt a wetness seeping through his vest.

The girl tilted her head up to show her tear filled amethyst colored eyes. Crimson could feel her cold arms around his torso. Her sighed and returned the embrace.

“I don’t want you to go.” She cried.

“Twilight. I have to. It’s my job and-”

“Why can’t someone else go? Why do you have to do it?” She asked with tears running down her face.

“That’s like asking why you read books, study magic and use the Elements of Harmony.”

“Because its....” Crimson gave her a nod as he saw a spark of realization light up in her eyes.

“Its the same with me. It’s who I am.” He put his hands on her shoulders and looked deep into her bright purple eyes. “This is something I’ve been training for my whole life. To go out, see the world, fight monsters, be the hero.”

“Life is no fairy tale.”

“I know, but that’s why people like Ivy, Cobalt, Rouge and I are here. To help make things better for people like you and your friends.” He said with a sigh.

“What about you huh? What about your happiness?” A silence fell over the man.

“That was never part of the plan.” Twilight wiped the tears from her eyes and sighed. “Besides, I owe everyone here a huge debt.”

“What debt?”

“Something that can never be repaid.” Twilight’s expression then frowned and lightly slapped the man’s face. “Ow! What was that for?”

“I thought that you were past all this! You are not the demon! You don’t have to take that responsibility for-”

“That’s not what I’m talking about. The debt I’m talking about is much bigger then what that thing did.” Twilight looked at him in confusion. “Everyone here, Ivy, Crow, Angel, even Ivory. I owe them all a debt.”

“What did they do?”

“They saved me from myself.” Twilight looked at him in shock. The man let out a sigh and looked towards the night sky. “When I found out about what was in me, everything changed. I saw the world in a darker shade, food had no taste and everything just seemed....pointless. I thought that I was just a burden to them. Crow and Ivy especially.”

“What happened?”

“During a mission when we were still kids, someone gave them an offer to turn me over to some blood thirsty psychos that most likely wanted to skin me alive and prop me up as a warning. They refused to sell me out and the crazies were gonna kill them for protecting me.” Twilight gasped. “I intervened and we managed to hold them off until back up arrived and we escaped. The least that I can do is try to protect them.”

“I’m sure that they don’t think that you owe them that.” The scholar said as she gulped.

“I know they don’t and they’d tell me that it’s idiotic, but its how I keep going.” His eyes were like calm pools of red wine.

“Don’t you think that you’ve paid enough? I mean I heard stories about how you’ve saved them time after time.” The man let out a sigh.

“Last year, when I lost control while training, I thought that I had paid enough. Started taking missions on my own and I thought that I had enough and it was sort of....peaceful. The thought that I had helped them enough so that they could stand on their own. So that they wouldn’t need me.” He said as his eyes softened. “I started to slip back into that pit of darkness that I started out in and I didn’t care that I was.” Twilight gulped.

“Then I get sent to some backwater town and everything gets screwed up. I got saved again. What got to me was that it was by someone I never expected.” He said in a calm tone.

“Huh?”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Ivy, Crow or even Ivory pulled me out of the pit I was digging.” He said as he looked at the scholar. “But getting saved by a librarian? I gotta tell ya, that’s a new one on me.” Twilight’s jaw dropped in confusion.

“Me?” She asked as she pointed at herself.

“You did it twice.” He said as he ran a hand through his hair. “Imagine, me, a Ranger class Conduit being saved by a librarian that lives in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Its beyond outrageous and goes strait into ludicrousness.” Twilight frowned at the man. “Makes me bonkers just thinking about it.” Twilight gritted her teeth and was about to turn him into a newt. “What’s even crazier, is that I don’t care.”

........

........

“Huh?” Twilight’s jaw dropped as she tried to processed the information.

“I don’t care.” Twilight still had a baffled look on her face.

“What do you mean by you don’t care?”

“To be honest, no one has ever given me a tongue lashing like you’ve have. Sure Ivy and the others have slapped some sense into me, literally. You’ve done that too, but at the same time you’ve given me a mental one and now you’re on my list of people I have to repay a debt to.”

“You don’t owe me anything.” She said with a gulp.

“No, I do. While I was in my week long coma I had a lot of time to think about things. Not much else to do when you can’t move.” The man gave a shrug. “You were among those things.” Twilight felt her face flare up. “I realized that you are without a doubt the craziest girl I’ve ever met.”

“Really? Out of Ivory and Ivy? I’m the craziest girl you’ve ever met?” She asked as she folded her arms under her chest.

“They’re crazy in a different way. You are crazy in a way that I can’t get you out of my blasted head.” He said as he lightly hit the back of his own head. “I realized that its the crazy stuff you do that...” The man felt a lump the size of a watermelon form in his throat,

“That?” Twilight asked in a worried tone. She saw that the man was physically struggling with something he was trying to get out.

“Makes...me crazy...about...you.” The silence was deafening. A breeze blew past the two and in the distance a wolf howled at the moon. You know that feeling when you get butterflies in your stomach? Twilight felt as though these butterflies were a foot across and made of pure fire. Her face was as red as the man’s hair and she finally managed to form words.

“Y-you’re crazy about me?” She asked with a gulp.

“To say the least.” He said in a shaky tone. A long silence fell between the two mages. Crimson gulped and felt a mournful feeling creep up inside of him. “I-” He was cut off as a warm pair of lips met his own and a pair of familiar gloved arms wrapped themselves around his body and pulled him into a warm embrace. Crimson returned the kiss and held the scholar close to him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crow sat back in his office chair with a smug grin spread across his face. Across him sat a disappointed Princess Celestia. On the desk that separated the two sat a crystal ball that showed the two mages embracing each other. Crow snapped his fingers and the image vanished from the crystal.

“Check and mate.” He said with a smile. “I believe that makes seven wins, zero losses.” Celestia still held her head in defeat. “Oh come now Tia, surely you want your pupil to be happy right?”

“Of course I do.” She said as her head shot up. “Its just that-”

“Next time I make the cake, I’ll be sure to send you a piece.” Celestia’s smile shined like the morning sun. “But you still lost and you know what that means.” Celestia gulped and a blush appeared on her face. “My office, tomorrow night, at around seven for a nice dinner.” Crow held the door open for the Princess and she exited the room. “Clothing optional.” The sun Goddess was about to yell but the door closed on her face.

A pink face Celestia teleported back to her room where Cadence was waiting patiently.

“Well?” She asked as she crossed her arms. Celestia summoned a small bit bag, containing fifty or so bits and tossed it at the Princess of love. Cadence giggled as she caught the bag and thought of the two young mages together. “Seriously Auntie, you stink at making bets.”

Author's Note:

Hope you liked it. There wil be one more chapter after this one.