• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 1,953 Views, 44 Comments

Neither Created Nor Destroyed - Sage Runner



Twilight and her friends are taken from their homeland as surrounding nations prepare to invade, and unearth an ancient secret that could change life as they know it forever.

  • ...
5
 44
 1,953

Chapter Eleven - Sadly Mistaken

Fluttershy's stomach whined as the sun continued to sink behind the trees. She had been following the trail left by Rarity's captors all day without any food or rest. The hunger and exhaustion were now threatening to get the better of her as she continued to follow the footprints in the dirt. Pools, lakes, and trees surrounded her on all sides, and now that the sun was going down, she began to fear those surroundings.

"Why do we wait?!" a grizzly voice snarled. Fluttershy let out a light gasp and scampered toward the direction of the voice, taking cover among some nearby shrubbery as she made her way toward its source. What little daylight was left illuminated three lycanthropes huddled around Rarity, whose legs were tied together by vine. Fluttershy's eyes widened as she saw her friend's chest move up and down. Her friend was still alive.

"This is strange meat," a werewolf replied. "Don't know where it came from, smells tasty. We make her tell us where to find more, then we cook!"

"I beg your pardon," Rarity said. "If you believe I'm going to tell you where I came from, you are sadly mistaken."

"We get four tries," another lycanthrope said, grinning. "We eat each leg, one at a time, split fourth between us, if strangemeat hasn't told us the truth by then!" The others cackled as Rarity began to hyperventilate and wriggle in her restraints.

"Need fire to cook, you two get wood!" one of the beasts commanded as the other two nodded and bolted off in separate directions. That was when Rarity caught sight of Fluttershy's eyes, peering at her from beneath the bush. She frowned and began to jerk her head to the left while mouthing the words "Get out of here,". Fluttershy shook her head emphatically as she narrowed her gaze and emerged from her hiding place, carefully navigating among the other bushes, crawling on her belly.

Rarity began to perspire as she watched her friend slink toward her, the lycanthrope's back facing them. The unicorn's eyes darted all around until finally her gaze settled upon a nearby tree. "Think I don't smell you, strangemeat?" the creature asked as it turned to face Fluttershy, who was only a yard away from Rarity. "Hoped you'd come for friend, now we eat one to make other talk!" Fluttershy leapt to her feet as her wings locked at her sides.

"No you don't!" Rarity shouted as her horn flickered to life. Her magical aura became visible at the midsection of the tree she had just been eyeing. In a flash, a section of wood just above the base of the tree was transformed into a small sculpture of a pegasus. This sculpture was, of course, not nearly strong enough to support the rest of the tree, and with a crack, it tumbled down, hurtling towards the lycanthrope.

"Nice try!" it jeered as it rolled away from the point of impact. Fluttershy shook her head violently to regain focus, and quickly dashed to Rarity's side and untied the vine that bound her legs.

"We need to get out of here!" Fluttershy helped Rarity up.

"No escape for you!" the monster yelped as it leapt over the fallen tree, flying towards the frightened pair. A thundering crack, like lightning, sounded behind the girls, and the lycanthrope's head dissolved into nothingness, followed swiftly by the rest of its body. Fluttershy and Rarity spun around to see a familiar sight.

"Reginald!" Rarity exclaimed. The canine gentleman's left arm was folded behind his back, and his right arm held upright a strange metal contraption, molded to fit his paw and extending beyond in the form of a small barrel, from which smoke emanated. A cutlass was sheathed at his side.

"I've arrived not a moment too soon, it seems," Reginald replied, offering a smile. "Look alive, ladies! Its friends have returned." Sure enough, the two lycanthropes who had left to gather firewood were bounding toward them, roaring.

One gave a yelp as Greyjaw, who shot out from the bushes, drove his elbow into its ribcage, sending it staggering away from its intended path. Greyjaw snarled as he hunched over and narrowed his gaze at the surprised lycanthrope. Its ally passed over Rarity and Fluttershy, landing in front of Reginald.

"En garde!" Reginald shouted as he drew his blade. The beast swiped at him. Reginald, retreating several steps, skillfully avoided each attack by leaning just out of its range. Finally, Reginald gave the monster a swipe of his sword, causing the werewolf's right arm to vanish at the elbow. It spat as Reginald stepped into striking range and drove his blade straight through the creature's chest, destroying the monster.

Rarity cheered as Reginald wiped his sword and returned it to its sheathe, holstering his ranged weapon as well. Fluttershy's gaze, however, was fixed upon Greyjaw, who had dashed forward as his opponent stood up, and was now unleashing a flurry of punches into the werewolf's stomach.

Greyjaw ceased his assault only to slide around to the monster's side. When it hunched over, clenching its gut, Greyjaw went in for the kill, striking the monster about the neck and finishing it off.

"The two of you are really starting to tick me off!" Greyjaw turned to face Fluttershy and Rarity.

"Now, now, Greyjaw," Reginald replied, walking toward the girls. "This incident was nobody's fault. Miss Rarity was kidnapped, after all."

"That may be true, but this one," he said, pointing a claw at Fluttershy. "This one should have waited in her home and let us handle it."

"That's not fair!" Rarity protested.

"Mahugpin wants you two alive. Up here, you could have been killed," Greyjaw explained. "You still don't get it, you're not guests in the Big Deep, you're hostages. Your little life of luxury ends now!"

"Pay him no mind," Reginald said, placing a hand on Rarity's and Fluttershy's shoulders. "Mahugpin will be relieved to see the two of you returned safely. Greyjaw, here, is simply frustrated because he lost out on his beauty sleep." Rarity giggled and Greyjaw snarled.

"When we get back, I'm gonna have a little talk with Mahugpin about keeping these two under lock and key," Greyjaw said.

"Um, Mister Greyjaw?" Fluttershy asked. The Wolf Class fighter leered down at her. "If it's okay to ask, how did you find us?"

"Huh," Grejaw snorted, grinning. "Ask our prissy tracker, there." Fluttershy and Rarity turned to Reginald, who simply bowed.

"Sharpest nose in the Deep," Reginald said, pointing a thumb towards his nostrils. "That's why Mahugpin dispatched me to be Greyjaw's guide, after all. You two weren't difficult to find!"

"Thank you both for saving us," Rarity said, avoiding eye contact with Greyjaw. She abruptly threw her arms around Fluttershy's neck. "And thank you for coming after me, Fluttershy!"

"There was nothing else I could have done!" Fluttershy replied, smiling.

"Come on, now. You can celebrate your reunion back in the Capital City," Reginal said, gesturing for Rarity, Fluttershy, and Greyjaw to follow him.

"Not so fast!" a voice echoed from above. All four heads craned up to see several diamond dogs sitting in the trees, arrows drawn against bows pointing down at them. Another diamond dog, his coat white and shaggy, stepped out from behind a tree and approached the confused travelers.

"What's the meaning of this? Who are you?" Reginald asked, his voice remaining calm.

"Deepers, eh?" the mysterious canine replied, giving the air a sniff. "We'll take that sword of yours, and that pistol." He leaned over to look at Fluttershy and Rarity. "The ponies don't seem to be carrying anything, so they're fine, and as for your friend—" his eyes widened as he stopped speaking. "Greyjaw the Marked, as I live and breathe!" The other hounds climbed down the trees and surrounded the four.

"Haggert," Greyjaw practically spat the dog's name.

"Oh, so you remember me? I'm flattered," Haggert replied, grinning.

"Do you know these dogs?" Reginald asked, turning to Greyjaw.

"These are the former Wolf Class morons who tried to overthrow Mahugpin five years ago," Greyjaw replied. "They were kicked out, they're Exiles."

"My word!" Reginald exclaimed, turning back to face Haggert. "You mean you've all survived on the surface for five years?!"

"Not quite the whole story," Haggert replied. "Greyjaw, here, was part of our plan. Pretended to be, anyway, until he ratted us out and got us banished."

"The sissy-boy must work for Mahugpin, too!" another one of the dogs shouted.

"Probably," Haggert replied, nodding. "Alright, you two are comin' with us. Sissy-boy, here, will fetch us a nice ransom, and Greyjaw?" he said, turning to his former comrade. "You're gonna pay for stabbing us in the back." Fluttershy and Rarity gulped as they heard this.

"What about the ponies?" Another dog shouted.

"They're our prisoners," Reginald replied. "We kidnaped them from Equestria! Mahugpin wants them returned to their cells immediately, so I demand that you leave them in our custody!"

"More victims of Mahugpin's backwards priorities, eh?" Haggert said. He looked down at the girls. "Alright, you two are coming with us. After we've dealt with the lapdogs, here, we'll get you on your way home." More diamond dogs emerged from behind nearby trees as the group began to move away from the direction of the passage back into the Capital City. Greyjaw and Reginald were led at arrow-point ahead of the girls, who were too shocked to say anything.

"What do we do?" Rarity whispered as they followed.

"I'm not sure. I want to go home, but we can't leave Reginald and Grejaw like this, they saved our lives!" Fluttershy replied under her breath.

"Agreed, we will not abandon them. For now, let's do as they say," Rarity replied, nodding.

***

"This situation is just dreadful!" Prince Blueblood exclaimed. "I know I'm next in line to the throne, but I don't know the first thing about ruling a kingdom!"

"Don't worry," Shining Armor said. "That's why I'm here, to help you make the best possible decisions during this difficult time."

"Alright then, what do we know so far?" Blueblood asked.

"Not much," Shining Armor replied, shaking his head. "My sister and her friends were abducted from three separate places at the same time."

"And do you know who's behind it?" Blueblood asked him.

"I was able to confirm my suspicion that Clarion Call, a former member of the Royal Guard turned thief, was involved. Following a hunch, I went to the location of Rarity's and Fluttershy's disappearances, searching for evidence," Shining explained. "To my surprise, Clarion Call showed up there. He admitted to his involvement, but implied that he wasn't working alone."

"Were you able to detain him?" Blueblood asked.

"Unfortunately, after I pursued him into the Everfree Forest, he came upon a magical trinket known as the Alicorn Amulet."

"And what does that do?"

"It provides any unicorn who wears it with enhanced magical abilities, while gradually corrupting their mind. At this time, I have no idea what he plans to do with it."

"And then, of course, the princesses disappeared," Blueblood added, frowning.

"Yeah," Shining replied, bowing his head. "There were no witnesses, so we have no idea what happened to them. Burn marks on the floor of the hall indicate that there was a struggle. Beyond that, there's no trace. Captured, dead, we just don't know."

"Do you have any suspicions?" Blueblood asked.

"Clarion Call showed up to tell the diamond dogs on the outskirts of Ponyville to keep quiet about something. My men searched their mines, only to find that they had been vacated. We're looking for them now," Shining replied.

"What a mess," Blueblood grunted.

"As of now, it looks as though Clarion Call is the leader of, or at least a party to a conspiracy to deprive Equestria of its defenses, and now its leaders as well. My wife is under heavy guard as she continues her royal duties in the Crystal Empire, Princess Celestia's Unicorn Court is handling the Sun and Moon, and I'm going to be doubling the watch over you as well, your Highness," Shining explained as Blueblood nodded. "With the Alicorn Amulet in his possession, it is my belief that Clarion Call will try to attack Equestria in some way."

"He would need an army to do that," Blueblood replied, snorting.

"As I said, he implied that he was not working alone, so for now, let's assume that he has an army," Shining replied.

"Things have certainly spiraled out of control rather quickly, haven't they?" Blueblood observed.

"Very quickly," Shining replied, nodding. "Clarion Call has always been scum, but his crimes were small-time, nothing revolutionary, and I don't think he could have orchestrated this on his own."

"What does that mean?" Blueblood asked, tilting his head.

"It means I don't think he's the leader," Shining replied. "I think that we're dealing with someone much smarter than him that he's actually willing to obey. Clarion Call has never been a follower, so the idea that somepony could command his loyalty on something like this, not to mention the fact that the seal Princess Celestia used to restrict his magic is gone... I won't lie, Prince Blueblood, it worries me."

"Your Highness!" a guard shouted, running into the throne room. "A carrier pigeon from the Griffon Kingdom has arrived! It bore a message addressed to Princess Celestia, but since she's currently missing..."

"Understood," Shining Armor replied, approaching the guard. "Leave the message with me."

"With all due respect, sir..." the guard hesitated as he spoke. "This is meat to be opened by Equestria's ruler only."

"Just give it to him!" Prince Blueblood shouted.

"As you wish," the guard replied, recoiling and handing the rolled up message to Shining Armor. As the guard left, Shining unbound the piece of string that kept the message shut and unrolled it. Blueblood waited with bated breath as he watched Shining Armor's eyes move back and forth across the page, his expression becoming more grave with each line he completed.

"What does it say?" he asked.

"It's a message from Gilda the Griffon. She was with Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie when they disappeared," Shining Armor replied.

"And!?" Blueblood shouted, digging his front hooves into the armrests of the throne.

"'Dear Princess Celestia,'" Shining Armor read aloud, "'King J'aggerdov of the Griffon Kingdom is working with the leaders of the Changelings and the Diamond Dogs to attack Equestria and take it over. They each took two of the Elements of Harmony hostage. I freed Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie but we're stuck in the Griffon Kingdom, and the other ponies are considered important and won't be hurt. We're trying to stop King J'aggerdov here, but you still have to worry about the other two armies. Some dweeb named Clarion Call is helping them, and they're working with a creepy sasquatch, too. Dash and Pinks told me to ask if your refrigerator was running. Don't know why but they said you'd know what it meant. Good luck, signed Gilda'..."

"Oh dear..." Prince Blueblood said. "Do you think it's true?"

"She asked if our refrigerator was running..." Shining Armor said.

"Sure, it was the last time I checked, but who cares?" Blueblood replied.

"No," Shining Armor said, "after the incident with the Changelings, Princess Celestia asked each of the wielders of the Elements of Harmony to come up with a sort of pass-phrase that only they, the Princesses, and the Royal Guard would know. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash picked the same one, thought they were being clever."

He shook his head, his eyes half closed, and said, "No matter what, this information definitely comes from the two of them."

"I see," Prince Blueblood said. "Then for now, I think we should assume it's the truth."

"I agree," Shining Armor replied, nodding. "It's the best lead we have. It also means that this situation is much more serious than I thought it was..."

"Should we try to make contact with the diamond dogs and griffons? See if we can't solve this diplomatically?" Blueblood asked.

"It couldn't hurt," Shining replied. "I have no idea why either of those groups would want to invade Equestria, but diplomacy at this stage couldn't hurt. Best case scenario is that we convince them not to attack and to release their hostages. If nothing else, I'm glad to have at least some general idea of where my sister and her friends are, and that they're safe."

"And Clarion Call?" Prince Blueblood asked.

"If we can dissuade the griffons and diamond dogs, maybe we can also get them to give him up," Shining Armor replied, nodding sternly.

"And... what about this... 'sasquatch' the letter mentioned?" Blueblood asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I have no idea what that means," Shining Armor replied. "The sasquatch is said to be some sort of great ape whose existence has never been confirmed. It was said to be massive, covered in brown fur, and with the strength of a hundred grown stallions. In recent years, sightings claim that the creature is tall, gray, and hairless. In either case, whatever this Gilda thinks she saw, it isn't a priority."

"Agreed." Blue Blood nodded. "So we're going to attempt diplomacy. Anything else?"

"With your permission," Shining Armor said, "I'd like to concentrate the majority of our army at Equestria's borders. If an invasion becomes unavoidable, we'll be able to fend the intruders off before they so much as set hoof into our territory."

"Permission granted!" Prince Blueblood exclaimed. "Let's fortify Equestria!" Suddenly, a scroll appeared before Blueblood and fell into his lap.

"What's that?" Shining Armor asked.

"Something from Celestia's dragon-ward," Blueblood replied.

"Spike?" Shining Armor asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Right, Spike. Can never remember the little guy's name. Anyway, he knows a spell to magically send letters to the Princess, but the spell was configured so that the messages would go to whoever currently holds the throne in the event that Princess Celestia is..." Blueblood's voice trailed off.

"Oh, no..." Shining Armor said, bowing his head.

"Auntie Celestia... Auntie Luna..." Blueblood said, his voice quivering as tears formed in his eyes.

"We can't jump to conclusions," Shining Armor said. "We have to protect our citizens."

"Right," Blueblood replied, sniffling. "Let's see what Spike has to say..." His face fell even further as he read the words upon the page.

"More bad news?" Shining Armor asked.

"The Elements of Harmony have been stolen," Prince Blueblood said. "Spike saw the culprit, but..."

"Was it Clarion Call?" Shining Armor asked, gritting his teeth.

"Spike described it as a tall, ape-like creature, hairless and gray, and it wielded some strange type of magic..."

"Just what are we dealing with here?" Shining Armor replied, shaking his head.

"Does this change our plans?" Blueblood asked.

"After I've arranged things with our army and diplomats, I'm going to take a few guards and investigate the crime scene," Shining Armor replied. "I'm also going to make sure Spike's okay. He's like family to me."

"I understand," Blueblood replied. "Please, do what you think is best."

"I will, Your Highness." Shining Armor nodded.