• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 1,948 Views, 44 Comments

Neither Created Nor Destroyed - Sage Runner



Twilight and her friends are taken from their homeland as surrounding nations prepare to invade, and unearth an ancient secret that could change life as they know it forever.

  • ...
5
 44
 1,948

Chapter Fourteen - Easy Come, Easy Go

The face diminished in size, and Sieness' outline became visible. Chains, forged from light of the same violet color as Twilight's magical aura bound her legs and neck, pulling her down. Twilight stood over her, triumphant for the moment.

"You little worm!" Sieness spat at Twilight's hooves. "Were I in my original form, I would have devoured you!"

"Be that as it may," Twilight replied, "I have too much work left to do. I can't afford to lose my body to you, my friends and my country need me!"

"And I suppose this is the part where you purge me," Sieness said. "I don't fear death, do your worst!"

"No," Twilight said.

"What do you mean 'no?!"

"That's not how we ponies do things," Twilight said. "You won't be harmed."

"So what?" Sieness said, craning her neck upward. "You think you've got the strength to keep me chained down forever?!"

"That won't be necessary," Twilight said. "I just need to find a living thing to transfer your consciousness into."

Sieness cocked an eyebrow. "What are you—"

"Something small, like a frog, or a gopher. Something Applejack and I can travel with," Twilight said.

"So you mean to insult me, then keep me on as your pet?!" Sieness shouted.

"Once I've reunited with my friends and we've stopped your people, I'm going to return you to Chrysalis," Twilight explained.

"You'll... what?" Sieness' expression shifted from a scowl to a lopsided frown.

"I'll explain the situation to her. Once she understands that you're still alive, I'm sure she'll find a way to help you," Twilight replied.

"But... why?" Sieness asked, tilting her head.

"Because that's what I do," Twilight said. "All I want is to protect my friends, nothing more."

"You equines don't make any sense to me," Sieness replied with a sigh. She laid on her stomach and rested her chin on her legs. "Your idealism and misplaced sense of self-righteousness won't save you from me. If you don't destroy me, I will claim your form before this is over. You do know that, don't you? And I can assure you, you'll see no compassion or mercy from me!"

Twilight actually smiled. "We'll see."

Twilight opened her eyes, and Applejack leapt to her feet.

"You're awake!" she shouted, extending a hoof to help her friend up. "I was worried sick about ya!"

"Yeah," Twilight groaned, rubbing her forehead. She took Applejack's hoof and slowly pulled herself up. "I'm sorry I worried you."

"Um... Twi?" Applejack asked, her eyes drifting upward. "Why's your horn glowin'? You castin' a spell?"

"I'm using my magic to suppress Sieness, the Great Hive's Central Nervous System."

Applejack raised an eyebrow. "You're doin' what now?"

"It's a long story, I'll explain while we move."

"Move where?" Applejack asked.

"We need to head inland," Twilight said, gesturing with her head toward the tree line at the edge of the beach. "We certainly won't accomplish anything out here."

"And what in tarnation are we gonna accomplish in there?" Applejack said.

"This is Diamond Dog territory," Twilight said. "If we head inland, we can search for a way into the Big Deep and find Fluttershy and Rarity. After we rescue them, we can find a way home, then focus on saving Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie."

"Fluttershy and Rarity are here?!" Applejack's eyes widened.

"You saw into my memory when I opened your pod," Twilight replied. "Sieness told me that each faction kidnapped two elements. Rainbow and Pinkie went off with Gilda, so it stands to reason that the griffons have them, which would mean the diamond dogs have Fluttershy and Rarity."

"Oh, yeah!" Applejack replied. "So what's the plan after we find everypony?"

"The Elements of Harmony are hidden away in the library," Twilight replied. "Once we're with our friends again," Twilight smiled at the thought, "we'll be able to use them to repel the invaders!"

"Well then, what're we waitin' for?!" Applejack shouted as she broke into a run. She didn't make it a whole yard before she heard Twilight trip and fall. "Twilight!"

"I'm okay," Twilight groaned as Applejack helped her up again. "Having to maintain this constant flow of magic is sapping my strength. I'm afraid we're going to have to move a little more slowly until I can find a place for Sieness."

"Yeah, speaking of which, you still gotta explain that to me."

"Right, I will." Twilight grinned. They began to walk toward the forest, with Applejack staying close to Twilight's side in case she stumbled.

"But first, one more question," Applejack said.

"Sure," Twilight said.

"That Delacroix feller said the Elements wouldn't work on him."

"I know," Twilight replied. "But they'll work on everyone else."

"So then we'll still have to find a way to stop Delacroix after this is over," Applejack replied.

"Yeah. I'm still working on that dilemma," Twilight said. Her expression hardened. Applejack nodded, and the duo pressed on, unaware that they were too late to stop the invasion.

***

"What in the hay just happened?!" Rainbow Dash yelled, ascending into a frantic hover. "The army just disappeared!"

"They teleported!" Pierce said.

"All of them?!" Gilda's eyes grew wide.

Pierce nodded. "I think so. The way King J'aggerdov was talking, it sounds like the invasion might have started."

Pinkie's jaw dropped. "What?!"

"Alright, that tears it! Border guard or not, we need to get over there!" Rainbow shouted. Pierce had spent enough time with the pegasus to know that he needed to seize her tail as she tried to zoom off, stopping her dead in her tracks.

"No!" Pierce said.

"What gives?" Rainbow Dash spat back. "If it's happening now we need to get over there before it's too late!"

"Too late to do what, Dash?!" Gilda shouted. All eyes turned to her. "If Pierce is right, then they literally all just dropped in at the same time. You go now, you'll just get caught, or worse!"

"So what?!" Rainbow replied. "If I'm going down, I'm going down fighting!" She kicked at Pierce's talon, and he let her go.

Pierce reached after her. "Stop!"

"No!"

"Rainbow Danger Dash!" The authoritative voice did stop her. She whirled around, mouth agape. She recognized the voice as Pinkie Pie's. Indeed, she had never seen the party-pony look so serious.

"What would Twilight say if she were here right now?" Pinkie asked.

"She—"

"She would say you need to stop and think about what you're doing!" Pinkie answered for her.

"But Pinkie..." Tears welled up in Dash's eyes. Her lips quivered. "Our friends! Our families!"

"I know," Pinkie said. She let out a sigh, and wiped away a tear of her own. "This is bad. This is really, really bad."

"So why shouldn't I go help?!"

"Because it won't work!" Pinkie shouted, stomping her hoof. "And if you fly over there, you'll just get caught, and then I'll have lost another friend!" Tears were now running down her face.

Rainbow Dash landed softly on the ground and took a step toward her friend. "Pinkie..."

"We're all we've got left!" Pinkie's voice cracked. "If you leave now... then I'll be all alone. How can we fix anything that way?" Gilda glanced off to the side. The rest of the rebels turned away solemnly, and began to deliberate amongst themselves.

"Yeah, but without the others—" Rainbow inhaled sharply. "Without the others..."

"We've come this far," Pinkie said. She sniffed sharply and wiped away her tears. "We have to believe they have too, wherever they are. We need to have faith in our friends! I know we'll see them again!"

"But what if we don't?" Rainbow asked softly.

Pinkie placed a hoof on her shoulder. "We will!" Without another word, the two embraced.

Now it was Rainbow's turn to wipe her eyes. "So what are we supposed to do now?"

"Nothing fundamental has changed," Pierce said, turning away from his comrades toward the ponies. "King J'aggerdov agreed to this invasion under false pretenses. Whatever these friends of yours can do on their own, our mission remains the same. We have to convince the King that he's been used."

"So do we just wait for him to come back?" Rainbow asked.

"No," Pierce said. "He won't leave his castle unattended for long. And, simply telling him what we knew might have been enough to dissuade him from participating in the battle, but now, assuming Equestria does fall to the coalition, we'll have to convince him to undo everything he's already done. To do that, we'll need proof."

"What about that nice locksmith?" Pinkie asked.

"Yeah." Pierce nodded. "Much as I hate to admit it, I think finding the place where he saw that yeti thing himself will be a good place to start."

"Still kinda sounds like a longshot..." Rainbow said.

"We'll figure it out, Dash." Gilda took a step toward her friend. "I'm not gonna rest until we figure it out."

"I appreciate that, but you don't need to stop sleeping, G," Rainbow Dash said.

Gilda shook her head. "I helped cause this mess. You know it, and I know it."

"We're past that," Rainbow replied, shaking her head as well.

"You thought you had to do it, and when it really counted, you saved us!" Pinkie added.

"You're here because you trusted me. I let you down. I know you guys have forgiven me for that, but I'm still responsible. So I'm promising you, here and now, that I'm going to save your home." Gilda nodded firmly.

"That so?" Rainbow asked, finally allowing herself to grin again. "That's a pretty epic promise, G!"

"I plan on keeping it!" Gilda replied, reciprocating.

"Oh, I know. What I mean is I can't have you showing me up, so I promise to save your home, too!" She extended a hoof.

"You're on!" Gilda shouted, pressing her fist against the hoof.

"Me too! Me too!" Pinkie exclaimed, clasping the talon and hoof between her own. She leaned forward causing the trio to collapse in on each other with a sharp yelp.

"Then it's settled," Pierce said as morale began to return to his troops. "Now come on, we've got work to do!" Silently, he hoped that Equestria would be able to resist the attack, thereby making such a lofty promise much more feasible...

***

"Granny! Spike!" Apple Bloom shouted as she, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo kicked open the door to the Apple Family's house.

"We're here, young'n!" Granny Smith replied.

"Yeah, what's going on out there?!" Spike asked, running up to meet them.

"I don't know!" Sweetie Belle shouted. "There was a really bright light, then a loud 'BOOM'!"

"We didn't look back," Scootaloo continued, "but we heard screaming."

"I can still here screaming," Spike said, peering out the window. "I think Ponyville might be under attack!"

"Everypony on board!" Big Macintosh shouted, coming around the corner of the house and pulling a wagon. "No time to waste, get movin'!"

"Movin' where?" Granny Smith asked as Spike and the Crusaders helped her up.

"I'm takin' y'all to Zecora's place," Big Macintosh replied.

Apple Bloom tilted her head. "Zecora's?"

"Eeyup. Somethin's come for us pony-folk, and I think y'all will be safest with Zecora. The Everfree Forest is tricky enough for us locals to navigate, and she knows the layout better'n anypony!"

"Good thinkin'!" Granny Smith replied. With all five passengers on board, Big Macintosh broke into a run, traversing the edge of town with remarkable speed. Everyone looked toward Ponyville. On the ground, there were bursts of magic that could be seen from miles away. Up in the sky, thunder, lightning, and gusts of wind could be seen crashing against one another.

"What'n the bushel is goin' on over there?!" Apple Bloom asked.

"Big Mac, look out!" Spike pointed to the sky. Macintosh swerved to the side, avoiding a flurry of darts.

"Are those griffons?!" Scootaloo shouted, looking up. Indeed, two heavily armored griffons were hovering just above them, holding strange contraptions in their hands.

"Halt! Surrender and you will not be harmed!" one of them shouted.

"'Preciate the offer," Big Macintosh shouted over his shoulder, "but I'm afraid I will have to decline!"

"So be it!" the other griffon shouted. They reached behind their backs and each produced a small canister. Popping similar objects out from their devices, they loaded the new ones in, took aim, and fired another flurry of darts at Big Mac. He swerved again, but this time one of the needles made contact with his shoulder.

"Dagnabbit!" he shouted, biting down on the projectile and pulling it out. Almost immediately his vision began to blur, and his pace began to slow.

"What's wrong, big brother?!" Apple Bloom shouted. Everyone rushed to the front of the wagon.

"End of the line!" one of the griffons shouted.

"Nope" Big Mac replied, just as loudly. He rapidly shook his head and picked up the pace again. His head swam, but he ran through it.

"What in blazes?!" the griffons shouted in unison. "Tough son-of-a-pecker, ain't he?! Guess he'll need another shot. Reload!"

"Hold on tight," Big Mac said. He was slurring his words. "Ride might get a little bumpy!"

"Ready..." one of the griffons shouted.

"Aim..." said the other. They positioned their shots, keeping their iron sights just in front of the stallion's lumbering form. That is, until their vision was obscured and their lungs began to burn.

"Got 'em!

The escapees looked off to the side to see a small squadron of earth pony guards, operating two cannons. "Load more tear gas! We'll hit 'em with another canister then tie 'em up!" As they reloaded, the two griffons had begun their descent, coughing madly as they endured their hard landings.

"Get to safety!" one of the guards shouted as Big Macintosh continued to run.

"Much obliged!" the earth pony shouted, focusing the rest of his attention on trying to keep his now-rubbery legs from flying out from under him.

"Did you see what they did?!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

"That was awesome!" Scootaloo threw her hooves into the air.

"Woo-hoo!" Spike cheered. "That's what I'm talkin' about! Don't mess with the EUP guard and do not mess with Ponyville!" But the accolades died on their lips as the cannons, moments away from firing, suddenly exploded, sending the earth pony soldiers flying backward in a cloud of their own debilitating haze.

The diamond dogs could just barely be seen as the wagon got farther away, reloading their own weapons and turning to march away, apparently content with the damage they had caused. As the griffons recovered, several changelings swooped down and collected the incapacitated equine soldiers. Spike and the others turned away as they finally cleared the forest's edge.

"Um... hey!" Apple Bloom forced a smile. "At least nopony's following us now!"

"Those were the diamond dogs of the Big Deep," Granny Smith said. "Never thought I'd see the day when them and the griffon-folk would partner up with changelings to hurt us like this. What's the world comin' to?" She sighed and lowered her head as Big Macintosh galloped on.

***

Shining Armor finished barricading the outer-sanctum of the castle as Prince Blueblood paced nervously behind him.

"This is just dreadful," the prince said. "What are we going to do?! How did this even happen?!"

"Clarion Call," Shining Armor hissed, baring his teeth. "The Alicorn Amulet. He must have used it to activate every single teleportation mark he placed in Equestria at the same time. He dropped the enemy right on top of us. Even with an artifact like that, I wouldn't believe that was possible if I hadn't just seen it. The traitor!"

"What will we do?" Prince Blueblood asked.

"I... don't know." Shining Armor shook his head. "The bulk of our forces are at the borders, and I have to believe this attack is nation-wide. I can't even go out there and give orders because I need to protect our acting ruler!"

Blueblood gulped. "The EUP guard is strong. Surely they can handle this, even if they were caught by surprise, right?"

Shining sighed. "I don't know, your highness. I was prepared to assume control of our army, to fortify our borders, to spot any incursion from miles away, to personally direct the battle after I had made arrangements to place you under heavy guard. But... I wasn't prepared for this."

***

"Where do we stand?" Princess Cadence asked.

"The enemy flooded our streets before the Crystal Heart could be activated. The majority of our civilian population has been incapacitated, and half of the fallen have been removed by the changelings!" her advisor explained.

"So we have to rely on the bravery and might of our soldiers," Cadence replied. She rose from her throne and walked along the regal carpet. "They will not stand alone."

"Princess? Surely you're not thinking of—"

"My people need me," Cadence said.

"There must be another way!"

"Everypony is risking their lives to protect the Crystal Empire," Cadence replied, turning to face her advisor. "I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did any less!" She smiled warmly, and her advisor smiled back.

"Just be careful, your highness." the advisor said.

Cadence grinned. "Tell that to the changelings." With that, she took flight, blasted open the palace doors, and immediately joined the fight. A gust of wind greeted her. Carefully, she surveyed the battle. The pegasi and the griffons, each attempting to outmaneuver the other, circled back and forth, spears clashing. The clouds and wind currents bent to their movement.

The earth ponies and the diamond dogs unloaded their artillery at one-another, in most cases cancelling each other out for the moment. The unicorns were producing protective barriers where they were needed, shielding pegasi and earth ponies alike, not daring to use their magic offensively as their joint forces were still overwhelmed from the initial shock of the attack.

The changelings, on the other hand (the ones not carrying off unconscious citizenry), were maneuvering through the fray, searching for even the smallest of openings and blasting unicorn guardsmen into submission. Cadence knew that at this rate, their defenses would fail. She set her magic ablaze.

"I am the Princess of the Crystal Empire!" she announced, her voice echoing across the battlefield. "I do not wish to fight, but I will not allow you to harm those that I love!" A burst of magical energy brought her point home, the color of her aura cascading across the streets and sky. The might of her love sent a sizeable chunk of the enemy ground and air forces reeling, and even damaged some of their weaponry.

Her soldiers, emboldened by this display of power, continued their attack with renewed vigor. The unicorns, especially, were able to take advantage of the momentary lull in aggression to begin casting offensive spells of their own, knocking their changeling counterparts out of the sky.

Cadence, though winded from the effort, took off again, focusing her attacks on single enemies as she began blasting changelings out of the sky by the dozens. Her assault was cut short when she took a hit of her own and spiraled out of control. She recovered mere feet above the ground, and landed softly. Before her stood Queen Chrysalis herself.

"Hello again, Princess!" Chrysalis flashed the toothiest grin the princess had ever seen. "How is our dear Shining Armor?"

"I will say this once: surrender and you can leave with your subjects in peace," Cadence replied. "I've defeated you once before, and I'll do it again if I have to!"

Chrysalis cackled. "You don't have your boy-toy around to augment that pesky magic of yours this time!"

"I have the love of my subjects," Cadence said, taking a step forward.

"Not so different from me in that regard, are you?"

"You feed on a love that you could never understand," Cadence explained. Her magic flared up again, and she rose into the air. "I am strengthened by it. Not just by my subjects' love for me, but even moreso by my love for my subjects!"

"I will turn your love to despair, you insolent little upstart! Despair at your failure to save the ponies you love!" Chrysalis and Cadence loosed their energy upon one another. One aura crashing against another, the offensive magic expanded on itself, pushing both Cadence and Chrysalis backward. It was the sickly green glow that vanished, leaving Cadence's attack to burst forth unhindered. Chrysalis had already escaped its range, rising high into the air before diving toward her enemy.

"You're mine!" Chrysalis shouted. Reacting quickly, Cadence erected a protective bubble, which took the brunt of Chrysalis' heavy-handed attack, driving Cadence into the ground. This left Chrysalis momentarily stunned as Cadence dispensed with the shield and loosed another attack, this time hitting Chrysalis square in the face and sending her back into the air, screaming as she struggled to regain her composure. This small victory of Cadence's was overshadowed as the enemy forces began to gain ground once again in the battle at large.

***

"Upon you ponies, they won't lay an eye," Zecora said as the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Spike, and Granny Smith disembarked Big Macintosh's wagon. "Nopony knows this forest better than I. In the unlikely event that they find my home, I know of many other safe places to roam."

"Well thank ya kindly, Ms. Zecora," Granny said. "It'll be a mite cramped in that hut, but hopefully we won't need to stay here long. Just 'till the EUP sorts this mess out."

"I hope that's soon," Spike said.

"Alright, y'all hold the fort," Big Macintosh said, turning away from Zecora's hut.

"Wait, what are you gonna do?" Spike asked.

"Goin' back to Ponyville," Big Mac said. "The stuff they hit me with's wearin' off."

"What are you gonna do there?" Scootaloo asked.

"After Twilight's future self showed up and predicted a disaster, Cheerilee an' I worked out a plan. She'd herd anypony she could over to y'all's clubhouse. I have to check and see if she's there."

"You can't, big brother!" Apple Bloom threw her forelegs around Macintosh's own. "You'll just get yourself caught! You saw what was goin' on!" Big Macintosh gently escaped his sister's grasp.

"I don't have time to argue." Without another word, he galloped off back toward the forest's edge.

"Granny!" Apple Bloom shouted.

"He's a grown stallion, young'n," Granny Smith said. "His mind's made up, ain't nothin' you or I could say to change that now." Apple Bloom lowered her head, as Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle placed their hooves on her shoulders.

***

Cloudsdale's Weather Factory continued to churn out rainclouds and wind. "Enemies inbound from the west!" Spitfire shouted to her fellow fliers. Thus far, the pegasi guard and the Wonderbolts, under Spitfire's direction, had been able to repel the enemy, a combination of griffons, changelings, and diamond dogs aboard hot-air balloons, from Cloudsdale.

"Looks like they're focusing the bulk of their forces in a straight shot! Changelings up front, trying to punch through our defenses with magic! My group will take care of that! Soarin! Fleetfoot! Take your squadrons and take care of the remainder! On my mark!"

"Roger that!" the two pegasi replied. They led the troops under their respective commands away from the larger formation and began to fly in wide, circular patterns. Spitfire lead the remaining soldiers to the Weather Factory. Factory works had been herding the storm clouds into one large cluster, and as they cleared the area, Spitfire's squadron began to slink around it in a spiral pattern. Coiling around it, the were able to guide it away from the factory and with them toward the oncoming changelings.

"We're in range," Spitfire shouted. "Begin!" The formation changed, the coil the pegasi had formed around the massive dark cloud branched off into a straight line, flying up, away, downward, and toward the rear it. Spitfire, at the front of the line, spun around and kicked out with her hind legs, bucking the cloud with all her might. A surge of electricity shot through the cloud to the opposite end. Spitfire went into a free-fall before taking flight again several yards below.

Each pegasus followed suit, bucking the cloud one after another, while the electric energy continued to mass at the front of the cloud. As the last few soldiers in the line delivered their kicks, Spitfire, along with the nine other fliers that had been behind her, flew in together.

"Fire!" All ten of them kicked at the same time, completing the operation. The bolts of lightning that shot out were massive. The bulk of the Changelings were struck, their offensive magic negated as electricity surged through their bodies. The began to drop off, exposing the griffon soldiers that were behind them.

"Now!" Spitfire barked. Soarin's and Fleetfoot's squadrons were up as Spitfire's fell back. Behind them, the two massive cyclones they had created. They merged, expanded, and absorbed the massive storm cloud. The result was a spinning vortex of lightning and darkness, straight out of a nightmare. And it was heading for the enemy. Roughly a quarter of the invading troops managed to escape the monstrosity's range. The rest were sucked in. The griffons that had escaped flew around the tornado opposite of the rotation, giving it a wide berth. The wind slowing, those that had been sucked in were able to start making their escape, feathers and outer shells charred, but still able to fly.

"One more tornado will finish 'em off!" Spitfire declared. "Let's end this and get Cloudsdale moving. We'll clear the enemy out one city at a time!" What sounded like a lion's roar announced the oncoming blur that shot through the crowd. The Wonderbolts and soldiers gasped at the sight. King J'aggerdov gripped a dazed Soarin by the neck.

"Soarin!" Fleetfoot shouted. She darted in.

"Fleetfoot, stop!" Spitfire commanded. But it was too late. J'aggerdov constricted his tail around her and whipped her away. He turned his attention back to Soarin.

"I won't kill you," J'aggerdov said, "but your meteorological warfare ends now."

"Let my friend go!" Spitfire hissed.

"Very well." He threw Soarin into the group, several of which were knocked back while catching him.

Spitfire scowled. "How did you get past our defenses?"

"I bore through them," J'aggerdov replied. His massive form and obvious speed were enough to convince Spitfire that this was, indeed, what had happened. "I daresay my men could learn a thing or two from you. You're small in number, but the power you wield is impressive. But, it's useless against me. I've weathered storms a thousand times harsher. Now let's see if you lot can weather me."

With another roar, J'aggerdov dove in to strike. Balling his razor-sharp talons into fists, he pummeled them, even as they tried to fight back. As strong as the pegasi were at range, most of them fell immediately to J'aggerdov's brute strength. His soldiers were now waiting below, catching the fallen and passing them off to the changelings. The army at large had recovered and was advancing on Cloudsdale once again.

***

Big Macintosh had managed to reach the clubhouse without incident. From what little he saw as he snuck along the edge of town, the EUP guard seemed to be losing the struggle. Unhitching his wagon, he ascended the staircase and gently tapped on the door. "Shave, and a haircut," he whispered as he tapped in rhythm. After a moment of silence, two taps from the other side of the door answered him. The door opened a crack, revealing a relieved looking Cheerilee.

"I knew you'd come for us," she said. Macintosh peered past her and saw several of his younger sister's classmates, Snips, Snails, Rumble, Featherweight, and Twist cowering behind her.

"Nopony else made it," Cheerilee said, bowing her head. "It was awful, Big Mac! They came out of nowhere! I was in the schoolhouse grading papers, the kids ran there. They were snatching up ponies left and right, carrying them off to who-knows-where! I saw the Cakes get dragged away, even the babies!" She was on the verge of tears. "The Royal Army showed up but I just don't know..."

"Hush now." Big Macintosh placed a hoof on her shoulder and tried to offer a reassuring smile. "I'm gonna take y'all someplace safe." Cheerilee sniffed, then nodded.

"'fraid not," came a gruff voice from behind them. Macintosh turned to see a tiny dog, puffing on a cigar. Sitting atop a set of metallic arms and legs.

"Who're you?" the stallion asked.

"Name's Mahugpin," the pug replied, nodding his head. "Alpha Dog of the Big Deep, cub of the swamp-dwellers from the Old Days." Macintosh tilted his head. "Guess that ain't gonna mean anything to ya. You might say I'm the leader of this here... intrusion."

"That so?" Macintosh leapt off the clubhouse steps and hit the ground. He stomped forward. "Then we got a problem. This is our home, and y'all got no business doin' whatever it is you're doin'!"

"You're him," Mahugpin said.

"I'm who?"

"The guy a couple of griffon soldiers were talkin' about, said a red stallion with a wagon took a hit from one of my tranquilizer guns and just kept on runnin'." He sized Big Macintosh up. "Seein' ya now, I can believe it. Big fella, and a fire in your eyes to boot. Had to see for myself, my posse has things in town under control, so I went and got your scent. Can't let you pony folk roam free, too dangerous for ya now."

"Why are you doing this?!" Cheerilee shouted from the doorway.

"All you folks need to know is you'll be a might better off where I'm takin' ya." Mahugpin's machine took a step forward. The ground shook at the impact.

"Cheerilee," Big Macintosh called out, "hitch the wagon to yourself, get the fillies and colts, and head for the forest. I'll catch up as soon as I can." He cracked his knees and widened his stance.

"But—"

"Now!" Macintosh snapped.

"It's like I said." Mahugpin took another thundering step forward. "This can go real easy, or not. One way or another, y'all are comin' with me." Macintosh charged. "Don't say I didn't warn ya." The Squatter hunched down and swung its arm, swatting Big Macintosh in the side and sending him to the ground.

"Please, stop!" Cheerilee shouted.

"He'll be fine, ma'am," Mahugpin said, giving her a polite nod. "I wish it didn't have to be this way, I truly do, but in a little while y'all won't have to worry about none of this. It's over."

"Like horse-apples it's over!" Macintosh grunted as he stood up. "If that little love-tap is the best that doohickey can manage, you best shove off now!"

"If that don't beat all..." Mahugpin let out a long whistle. "Gotta say, I like you pony-folk a heck of a lot more than the birdcats and the bugs. How in tarnation am I gonna deal with you..." His train of thought was interrupted as Big Macintosh charged in again.

And again, Mahugpin swatted at him, but this time, Macintosh leapt clear over the swinging appendage, pressing his fore hooves against the Squatter's chest area, inches below where Mahugpin was seated. Kicking off, he landed in front of the thing. He spun and bucked. A direct hit. The Squatter was stumbling backward, almost as rattled as Mahugpin himself.

Mahugpin yipped, focusing on his console as he frantically tried to stabilize his vehicle. Sparing a moment to look up, he saw Big Macintosh again, but didn't have time to react. The stallion slammed his shoulder into the Squatter, sending it tumbling to the ground.

"Now to get you outta that thing!" He leapt upon the fallen machine. Unfortunately,he felt a sharp pain in his stomach and his vision doubled as the Squatter's foot found its mark. The thing sat up, and took a swing, punching Macintosh squarely in the jaw and sending him to the ground.

Both combatants staggered to their feet. Big Macintosh spat out a drop of blood and braced himself.

"You earth ponies ain't nothin' to sniff at. I was tryin' to make this as painless as possible," Mahugpin said. "Ain't interested in beating on ya, but if I'm gonna end this, it'll have to hurt." The Squatter's hands opened, and a visible electric current began to run through them. "You're strong, but you ain't gonna win this."

"I know." Big Macintosh grimaced. "But I gotta protect my kin."

"Me too." With one final charge, the Squatter's palm found Macintosh's muzzle, sending a shockwave through his body that left him convulsing on the ground. Cheerilee screamed. After a few moments, the stallion's pained expression relaxed, and he started struggling to stand.

"Gone up against hundreds of monsters with this thing," Mahugpin said. Macintosh cringed as he felt each step toward him shake the ground. Try as he might, he knew he wouldn't be able to stand up in time. "And not one of them put up half as good a fight as you. Still, there was no way you coulda taken me." He readied his palm for another paralyzing strike, and his gaze drifted upward. He stopped dead in his tracks.

He had seen Cheerilee before, but now she was joined by her young students, all of whom were scowling at him, tears in their eyes. Behind them... stood Fluttershy and Rarity, just for a moment. He quickly rubbed his eyes, and they were gone. His stomach ached, and he felt a lump form in the back of his throat.

The charge left his palm, and his arm lowered. He averted his gaze. "Go."

"What?" Macintosh whispered, his voice hoarse.

"Just what I said, git! Before I change my mind!" Mahugpin pointed his small paw at the wagon. Macintosh, now standing, eyed the canine engineer warily before cautiously nodding to Cheerilee. Mahugpin stood there, motionless, avoiding any eye contact while Macintosh hitched himself to the wagon and the other ponies climbed aboard.

He shot Mahugpin one final, confused glance, and off they went, headed for the Everfree Forest. Mahugpin maintained his strange vigil for several minutes after that, clenching his jaw with every sound he heard from the battle raging in town and taking a periodic drag on his cigar.

***

Cadence slowly opened her eyes. The first thing she saw was the trench she had carved with her own body. The light from the setting sun allowed her to see little else. Her ears rang, her nose bled, and a thin trail of smoke flittered up from her ash-covered horn. As Chrysalis approached her with that wicked grin, that palpable satisfaction, she could only manage to say, "How!"

"I would think that would be obvious, Princess," Chrysalis replied. "It is as you said, the love of your people is strong. My changelings have been hard at work harvesting them, and they've wasted no time in filling our pods— you remember those from the day we stormed Canterlot, do you not? Not just your citizenry, but the citizenry of all of Equestria that fell to the first wave of our attack!"

"You've already gained power from them?" Cadence asked, meekly.

"But of course!" Chrysalis licked her lips. "Those pods, no matter how far away from the Great Hive they may be, are directed to draw power from their captives and send it to us. We've been getting stronger as the day went on, and you didn't even notice!" She laughed. "As such, the Crystal Empire is nearly won. My vengeance is complete. I look forward to the power that your love will grant me." She clicked her tongue twice, and a pair of changelings descended, lifting Cadence by her forelegs.

"You..." the fallen princess said.

"You hate me, don't you?" Chrysalis rolled her eyes.

"I pity you!" Cadence said. Her breath was labored, but there was a sincerity in her voice that even Chrysalis could not deny.

"You what?" This was not a response she had been expecting.

"You seek power for power's sake, and you don't even understand the connection you're getting it from. You don't even understand the bond you share with your own people. If only you could..." Her head began to droop, but she fought to maintain eye contact with the changeling queen.

"If you keep going on like this, you'll just go after your allies next, then the rest of the world, and maybe even your own subjects in the end. You'll take and take until there's nothing left, and then you'll be alone. All that power will be worthless, and you'll wonder why you feel so empty." Cadence began to cough.

"I've heard enough!" Chrysalis bared her teeth. "Process her!"

"Love, friendship..." Cadence muttered as she was taken away. "Stay strong, Shining Armor... Twilight will save us..."

"Feeding off my own subjects," Chrysalis mused, scoffing at the very notion. "What nerve." She turned to survey the concluding battle as the last lines of the Crystal Empire's defense began to fail. "I suppose I must give her credit, even in defeat she's managed to sour my mood."

***

All Spitfire could do was hang there. Despite her best efforts to outmaneuver the griffon king, he still caught her in the end, clutching her by her uniform, leering down at her. The rest of her squadron had already fallen, and the invading army had advanced on Cloudsdale once again.

"Your capture was inevitable," J'aggerdov said. "Still, you have impressed me. All of you. As the changelings lower you into your prison, know that King J'aggerdov considers you a worthy foe."

Spitfire uttered her response before losing consciousness, "Suck my backdraft..."

J'aggerdov grinned. "Defiant to the end." He unceremoniously handed her off to a waiting changeling soldier.

"Nightfall," he noted. "The time to converge on the palace is at hand."

Ponyville, Cloudsdale, the Crystal Empire, even Canterlot. One after another, cities and towns fell. Appleloosa, Van Hoover, Las Pegasus, Manehattan. One by one, each and every settlement was secured by the enemy. The battle turned to clean-up, to harvest.

The changelings gathered their food. Diamond dogs took to the roads, while the griffons flew into the wilderness, searching for any who might have lived outside of the cities and towns, anyone who might have been travelling at the time, and anyone who thought they could escape.

Equestria had all but fallen, there was just one last formality before the kingdom was theirs. Mahugpin, Chrysalis, and J'aggerdov were all in-bound for Canterlot Palace.

***

"What is it, Zecora?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Since the others came back, I've felt less tense." She sniffed the air. "An eerie calm I'm beginning to sense."

"That's good, right?" Snips chimed in.

"Yeah, that means the fighting might be over, eh?" Snails added.

"Over, yes," Zecora replied. "But as to the victor, I'm afraid to guess."

"It's not fair!" Sweetie Belle shouted, kicking at the ground. "If our sisters were here..."

"I know, Sweetie." Cheerilee placed a hoof on the filly's shoulder. "But they're not."

"So what do we do?" Scootaloo asked. "What can we do?"

"We bide our time, for now we sit." Zecora looked toward the direction of Ponyville. "We're all here, and we're free. There must be a reason for it."

***

BANG!

The massive doors to the throne room shook again.

"That won't hold them for much longer, your highness," Shining Armor said. "I think you should retreat."

"Retreat? We don't even know what it's like out there!" Prince Blueblood began to pant. Another crash against the doors. This time, the hinges gave.

"This is it!" Shining shouted, charging his horn for attack. Suddenly, Clarion Call teleported in and the assault on the doors ceased.

"Nah, I could've come in at any time," he said. "I just felt like screwing with ya! Good to see you, Shining! How are things?"

"Clarion?" Shining gasped. He was unprepared for the alicorn whose wings now spread before him.

"You like?" Clarion grinned. "Finally got a promotion of my own, straight up the pecking order past the princesses. Speaking of which, you're under arrest, yadda yadda."

Prince Blueblood shouted from behind his throne. "How could you do this, you brute?! We are your people!"

"Oh man, don't tell me!" Clarion stifled himself. "Is that Blueblood?!" He burst out laughing.

"I am Equestria's acting ruler!" he shouted. Clarion's laughter only intensified.

"Dude, Shining, have you been putting up with this guy all day? I do not envy you!" Clarion wiped a tear from his eye. "Anyway, the rest of Equestria is conquered, you guys are the only hold-outs. I'm sure you put up a good fight or whatever, but it's time to get with the program. Lay down your— erm... horns, and we'll take a walk."

"You think you can treat me like some kind of joke and then order me to hand over my throne?!" Prince Blueblood came out from behind the throne.

"Your highness, stay back!" Shining Armor shouted.

"Yeah, it's not safe over here!" Clarion shouted. Shining shot Clarion a glare. "But seriously, yes, I can order you to do whatever I want. Did you not see the wings? Did you not see this amulet? I'm an alicorn, pal, I can do whatever I—" A chunk of ice cracked across Clarion's face, sending him reeling. Shining Armor frantically searched for the source.

"Okay..." Clarion rubbed the side of his head, a visible bruise now covering the area. "Who threw that? And is it getting chilly in here?" Shining felt it too, the sudden drop in the temperature, and the hint of... a breeze? In the throne room? Both sets of eyes turned to behold Prince Blueblood. His eyes were aglow, the color matching the piercing blue aura that surrounded his horn.

"I am Prince Blueblood," he said. "Descendant of Starswirl the Bearded himself, adopted as a brother by the alicorn princesses because of his prodigious magic! Despair as my all-consuming frost envelopes you!"

"No freaking way..." Clarion gasped as the prince generated a snowstorm.

Shining Armor grinned. "Yeah, I didn't see that one coming either."

"Keep to the center of the room, Shining Armor!" Blueblood shouted.

"Okay, you may have this whole... snow thing going on... but— Blueblood! Now I get it!" Clarion Call shouted over the storm. "So I guess you have all this authority for a reason, but I have the alicorn amu—OW!" A large chunk of hail pelted his face. "I have the alicorn—OOF!" Another. "I HAVE—SONOFA—" A third piece made contact. "QUIT IT!" His horn ignited, but before he could teleport, he was pelted again by three consecutive pieces of hail, breaking his concentration and preventing him from casting.

"Having trouble focusing?" Blueblood shouted over the storm.

Clarion Call shook his hoof at his assailant. "ONLY A LITTLE!"

"More than a little if you haven't even noticed what's happening to you!"

"What are you even— wuh-oh!" Clarion had finally noticed the layers of ice forming around the left side of his body. He tried to move, but it was too late. What little wiggle-room he had left was quickly vanishing. "Guys?" The ice increased in its thickness as it quickly enveloped the rest of his body. His mouth was the last part of him to be covered. "CAN WE TALK ABOUT THIS OR MMMMMM—" With Clarion frozen, the storm died down, and Blueblood fell to the floor.

"Your highness!" Shining Armor ran to the fallen ruler. "That was amazing!"

"Thank you, but it is exhausting." Blueblood breathed heavily. "If what he said was true, we've already lost." Before Shining could respond, the palace doors flew off their hinges. In the doorway stood three figures. Chrysalis, Shining Armor recognized. The massive griffon, he assumed, was King J'aggerdov, and based on that he surmised that the third member, seated atop his strange contraption, was leading the diamond dogs.

"We've come for Equestria's acting ruler. We've overthrown your army, so you may as well surrender." J'aggerdov said.

"A formality, rest assured." Chrysalis grinned. "Is that you over there, dear Shining Armor? How have you been since we split up? Lonelier now, I'd imagine, now that I have your wife!" Shining Armor growled.

"Look, surrender and neither of ya will be harmed. It's been a long day, so make this easy for all of us. Is that snow on the floor?" Mahugpin's Squatter squished the melting snow beneath his feet.

"I'm more interested in the décor," Chrysalis said, looking the frozen Clarion Call up and down. "I like him better this way."

"Run," Prince Blueblood whispered.

"What?!"

"Save yourself! You know where the escape-tunnels are."

"Prince Blueblood, you know I can't—"

"I am your acting ruler!" the prince hissed. "I've also already contributed the only worthwhile thing I ever could to this fight! You need to escape, you're the only one who can truly lead whatever is left of our nation. Please, I'm begging you. If my aunts were here, you know they would say the same! If your wife were here, you know she would say the same!"

Shining exhaled deeply, and whispered, "You're half-right, your highness. Escape is the only option. But either we both leave, or neither of us do."

Blueblood thought for a moment, then nodded. "If you think you can manage it." Shining Armor helped him to his hooves. "It's meant for teleporters. There's a small opening behind the throne, the tunnel is below. It should give you a suitable target."

"Understood." Shining Armor's horn ignited.

"Whatever you're planning, it ends now!" J'aggerdov shouted as he rocketed toward them. In a flash, Shining Armor and Prince Blueblood disappeared. J'aggerdov swung at nothing, demolishing the throne and a good chunk of the solid ground. Fortunately, he did not expose the tunnel.

"They're gone!" Chrysalis shouted.

"Quick little buggers," Mahugpin said. "Guess we'd better break ol' Clarion out and see if he knows where they went."

"I know where they went." Chrysalis grinned. "Don't forget, I lived here for a short time. I'm well aware of the palace's escape-tunnels."

***

Shining Armor and Prince Blueblood had already gone through several jumps. The tunnels were layered on top of one-another, and side-by-side, accessible via teleportation through small openings illuminated by single torches. Most of them lead to dead ends, and the correct path was known only to few. "I am glad you talked me into coming along," Blueblood said as they slowly made their way through the dimly lit hallways. "I forgot how complicated these things were, you might not have been able to navigate them on your own."

"You're right about that. I've studied the layout before, but I'm not my sister. I barely recall it now." A rumble above them caused them to quicken their pace.

"Sounds like they entered the tunnels," Blueblood noted.

"Of course," Shining Armor smacked his forehead. "Chrysalis was living here disguised as my wife while Canterlot was in a state of emergency, we told her all about the tunnels!"

"Down there." Blueblood gestured toward another small opening. Shining Armor nodded, and teleported them down another level. "Through that wall." They teleported through another small opening, into an adjacent tunnel. "Up one level." Again, the switched.

"At least we have a head start on them," Shining said. A series of crashing sounds told the escapees that the three leaders were descending further into the tunnels, but seemed to be moving away from their position.

"Wait."

"What's wrong?" Shining asked.

"It wasn't me..." Blueblood whispered. A nearby torch went out.

"Work like a soul inspired, till the battle of the day is won."

"I can't see any openings, Blueblood," Shining whispered. "Where do we go from here?"

"I'm not sure, I need to be able to see! And what is that voice?! Is it singing?!"

"Who's here?!" Shining Armor lit his horn, illuminating the chamber.

"You may be sick and tired."

"Show yourself!" Shining was beginning to panic.

"But you'll be a man, my son."

"Come out now and you won't be harmed!" he yelled in vain. Chilling laughter was his only response. Cracks began to appear in the walls, ceiling, and floors, coming from somewhere just beyond Shining Armor's field of vision.

"Will you remember the famous men who had to fall just to rise again?"

"Shining, keep your voice down!" Blueblood whispered harshly. "The enemy will hear us!" A piercing shriek filled their ears. A sudden onslaught of invisible force sent them hurtling into the wall behind them.

Surrounded by darkness again, and not yet recovered from the impact, Shining Armor strained his eyes. Approaching him now was a pair of pale, glowing eyes, featureless. Below that, the faint glint of a smile.

"So take a deep breath," The figure drew in closer.

"Pick yourself up," The outline of a tall, thin predator could now be seen.

"Dust yourself off," It now stood over them.

"And start all over, again..."

"Get back!" Shining Armor shouted, powering through his fear and unleashing a powerful burst of magic toward the eldritch horror that assailed them. No sooner had he loosed than he suddenly found it turning against him, hitting him full force and shattering the wall. Shining lay among the rubble, and he could hear the approaching footsteps. He knew Blueblood was nearby, but he felt completely alone. He could feel the vibrations in the ground as the other three moved toward his position.

"What..." Shining struggled to sit up. "What are you?"

"A step too far."

Shining Armor lost consciousness.

***

Outside of the palace, under the light of the full moon, the leaders gathered, having sent Shining Armor and Prince Blueblood off to be processed.

"I declare our first invasion a success!" Clarion Call said. He was still shivering.

"Now you're sure they're happy in them pods," Maugpin said, turning to Chrysalis.

The changeling queen rolled her eyes. "Of course they are, we wouldn't be able to feed off of their love if they weren't being properly stimulated to feel that emotion, now would we?" Mahugpin shuddered. "And speaking of," she focused her attention on Clarion and whistled sharply. Four changelings flew down to meet them. "Time for you to hand them over."

"Fair enough. Just be sure to get 'em where they're going quick." Clarion's horn lit up, and a second later the unconscious forms of Celestia and Luna appeared before him, in the exact same state they were in when he sent them away before. As the changelings lifted the alicorn princesses into the air, Celestia began to stir.

"Wait..." she mumbled. "Delacroix..." Responding to his name, Delacroix exited the palace and approached Celestia. He folded his hands politely behind his back and leaned in, giving her his undivided attention.

She groaned. "It doesn't have to be this way..." She glared at him through drooping eyelids. "You're wrong... about your purpose..."

Delacroix smiled at her. "We'll see." She passed out while trying to speak again. The changelings flew away with the royal sisters in tow.

"Congratulations on your conquest." Delacroix addressed his co-conspirators. "The time has come for me to take my leave."

"I take it that means you've decided which city you want to yourself?" J'aggerdov asked.

"Indeed I have. I have chosen Cloudsdale as a suitable home," Delacroix said.

"Cloudsdale?" J'aggerdov and Mahugpin said in unison.

"That's a good way to fall to your death, dontcha think?" the canine engineer said.

"Nah," Clarion said, "Delacroix, here, can walk on clouds. I've seen him do it."

"Be that as it may, I must ask why you've chosen Cloudsdale," J'aggerdov said.

"The arrangement was that I would claim a city for myself with no questions asked, was it not?" Delacroix said.

"I suppose that's true," J'aggerdov said. "Very well, it isn't as though we have any use for it."

"Cool. You ready to go, boss?" Clarion asked, approaching Delacroix.

"Yes." He addressed the others one final time. "Enjoy your spoils. I don't expect you will see me again." He smiled, and Mahugpin averted his eyes.

"Please do look into getting those fixed," Chrysalis said, staring at his teeth.

"You were true to your word and facilitated this entire venture as you promised," J'aggerdov said. "Know that your role in our conquest is appreciated."

"Not fully," was all Delacroix said before he vanished with Clarion Call.

"Such an odd fellow," J'aggerdov said, musing. "Very well, then. Time to hammer out the final details. The coming days will be very busy, indeed."

And so it was decided that, to his chagrin, Mahugpin would send only a small group of diamond dogs to Equestria for the time being, their purpose being to grow enough crops to pull the Griffon Kingdom out of its state of emergency and end its famine, at which time the griffons would help the dogs migrate to Equestria en masse.

The changelings would remain, only for a few months as Chrysalis assured them, to make sure that all of Equestria's inhabitants were captured. Clarion Call, upon returning to the palace shortly after transporting Delacroix, seemingly asked for little: full and solitary access to the Canterlot Archives, specifically the Starswirl the Bearded wing.

"That snowball-chucking man-child totally kicked my butt," he said, "so I'm gonna learn a few new tricks and see how high this amulet can really take me."

Once the details were finalized, Mahugpin, Chrysalis, and J'aggerdov departed to relay instructions to their armies. Cloudsdale slowly began to drift, moving to the west, until it eventually vanished on the horizon. Clarion Call looked up at the palace one last time. His thoughts drifted to the princesses he had once sworn to protect as a member of the Royal Guard. To Shining Armor, and other former comrades he had known.

To the ponies he had met over the course of his life; his friends, his enemies, and his own parents, all of them doomed to spend the rest of their lives in fantasies. Severed from reality, slowly being consumed by their enemies, never again knowing what it meant to be free. Clarion Call shrugged. "Easy come, easy go," he said. He trotted toward the Archives, a visible spring in his step, absent-mindedly humming the song he had heard Delacroix sing several times before.

Author's Note:

Huge thanks to Bad_Seed_72 for pre-reading this chapter!

"Pick Yourself Up" was written by Jerome Kern and Dorothy Fields