• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 1,948 Views, 44 Comments

Neither Created Nor Destroyed - Sage Runner



Twilight and her friends are taken from their homeland as surrounding nations prepare to invade, and unearth an ancient secret that could change life as they know it forever.

  • ...
5
 44
 1,948

Chapter Thirteen - I'm Sorry

Twilight ran through the darkness. Her breathing became labored as the mocking laughter continued all around her. Through the haze, all she saw was a massive pair of green eyes, and a large, fanged smile. "I'm dreaming!" Twilight shouted.

"You are asleep," the face finally spoke, its voice matching the laughter, "but you are not dreaming!"

"Then I was right," Twilight whimpered. "You're Sieness!"

"Sieness?" The face tilted to the right, a puzzled expression replacing the unbridled glee it previously expressed. "Ah! C-N-S! I like it!" the Central Nervous System replied.

"When I escaped the pod," Twilight said, "I took you with me, didn't I?"

"My essence," Sieness replied. "You tore me from my formless, biological husk. AND IT HURT!" Her voice boomed, leaving Twilight's ears ringing. "But now I understand, you've given me a far greater opportunity than I could have ever imagined!" Her eyes glowed, and Twilight was pulled to the ground, groaning as every joint in her body ached.

"You're trying to take me over!" Twilight shouted.

"It's like you read my mind!" Sieness laughed. "Thanks to you, instead of wasting away in the Hive, I will be able to stand at my daughter's side at the moment of her conquest!"

"You have to beat me, first!" Twilight shouted, defiantly. Her legs began to straighten as she worked through the pain.

"And I will," Sieness said, "no matter how long it takes!" Twilight scowled at the giant face. "Oh, but have no fear, Twilight Sparkle! I will not destroy you, I will merely lock you away. After all, I will need your knowledge in order to add your spells to my repertoire!"

"So you intend to imprison me within my own mind?!"

"That will be your punishment for ripping me from my body as violently as you did; you'll experience the pain that was my existence, first hand!" Sieness laughed again.

"Like I said," Twilight gasped, standing upright, "you have to beat me, first!" A blast from her horn, directed at the face of Sieness, punctuated her challenge. A similar blast, green in color, came from above Sieness' eyes, meeting Twilight's attack halfway.

"As you wish, bookworm!" The magics crashed against one another, struggling for dominance. "When our vessel awakens, we'll just see who's in control of it!"

Applejack watched helplessly as her friend kicked her legs out randomly, tossing and turning upon the shore.

***

"Whadaya see?" Rainbow Dash asked, nudging Pierce as he continued to stare through the binoculars.

"Sentries making their rounds every two minutes, like clockwork," Pierce said. "Same as when you asked me five minutes ago. And while we're on the subject, go ahead and assume that's what I'll see five minutes from now, too."

"What about five minutes after that?" Pinkie whispered as the other cloaked griffons behind the rock rolled their eyes.

"I know we've been out here a while," Pierce said, "but we need to find a way to get to the King as soon as possible, which means we've gotta wait for an opening in the castle security. When something happens, I promise I'll tell you."

"Fine!" Rainbow turned to rest her back against the rock, folding her arms and jutting her lower lip out. "Still don't see why we can't try another diversion."

"Because they have guards that deal specifically with diversions, just like you saw when McIntyre set off those explosives across the way," Pierce said.

"It's just frustrating," Gilda said. "I mean we can see the throne room from here, it's completely open to the outside, and we can't get near it without being caught!"

"Sh!" Pierce hissed. "I don't believe it, the sentries are leaving!"

"What?" Gilda squinted her eyes to see for herself. Sure enough, the sentries broke the flight pattern they had been adhering to all day and flew off, disappearing around the opposite side of the castle.

"Let's go!" Pierce ordered. Dash hurriedly scooped up Pinkie before she could repeat Gilda's "What?" and the group took to the air. They flew through the open archways at the top of the castle and landed in the throne room. Outside and in, there wasn't a guard in sight. Unfortunately, there wasn't a king in sight either.

"Of course he wouldn't be here!" Gilda smacked her forehead. "He spent his entire day sitting in that throne every day I was with him, and now that we finally manage to get in, he's nowhere to be found."

"Maybe he's in the bathroom!" Pinkie said.

"Well, we didn't see him leave the palace, so logically we can assume he'll be back in here eventually," Pierce said.

"Guess we're waiting then." Rainbow Dash stretched out and reclined in J'aggerdov's throne.

"Wanna play tic-tac-toe again, Gilda?" Pinkie asked.

Gilda sneered. "What, beating me three-hundred times in a row isn't enough for ya?" Pinkie widened her eyes and bottom lip began to quiver. "Alright fine, but I'm going first from now on!"

"Woo-hoo!"

***

J'aggerdov was, in fact, standing at the edge of the Everfree Forest. To his left stood Queen Chrysalis, and to his right, Mahugpin was seated in his Squatter. With a flash of light, Clarion Call and Delacroix appeared before them.

"Gang's all here now!" Clarion declared.

"Yes, meeting face-to-face for the first time," Chrysalis said. She frowned. "Care to explain how you both managed to let your Elements escape?"

"Knew that was coming," Clarion said with a groan.

"They won't be leaving the Griffon Kingdom," J'aggerdov replied. "We'll have them back in our custody and delivered to you as promised. I suggest you focus on the coming battle."

"We had an agreement!" Chrysalis hissed. "Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, and those meddling Elements of Harmony would become a part of my collection!"

"Well shoot," Mahugpin grunted, "if this is a deal-breaker for ya, guess we'll have to call the whole thing off."

"No one is calling anything off," J'aggerdov said.

"He's right," Delacroix replied. "Would you really throw away an entire nation's worth of food over four ponies?"

Chrysalis spat. "Just get on with it!"

"Cheer up, sugar-lips," Clarion said, taking a step toward the changeling Queen. "I'm about to give you a whole kingdom."

"You disgust me even more than Delacroix," she replied.

"Maybe you'll change your tune once you see my souped-up magic in action!"

"Are your forces all prepared?" Delacroix asked.

"Yes." J'aggerdov nodded. "All squadrons in all settlements have their individual orders. They know their role in this invasion, which part of Equestria they're being sent to, and how they'll be cooperating with the changelings and diamond dogs."

"That goes for me as well," Chrysalis said. "My subjects are ready."

"The militias in the Big Deep are all gathered and waiting," Mahugpin said. His voice was emotionless. "They'll be able to hand the griffons the taser-poles, net-launchers, and tranquilizer guns I promised when the armies converge."

"And have you decided which forces you'll be leading personally?" Delacroix asked.

"The Wonderbolts, Equestria's strongest air-fighting force, will be in Cloudsdale. I will personally command that assault," J'aggerdov said.

"The Crystal Empire is my target," Chrysalis replied. "I will personally subdue Cadance while her dear hubby is away."

"Ponyville is the closest town to Canterlot," Mahugpin said. "The EUP guard'll have forces out there quickest, and you can bet a lot of 'em will be earth ponies with family livin' there, so that's where I'm gonna go."

"And after each city is secure, we'll all converge on Canterlot together." Delacroix grinned. The others winced at the sight, but nodded.

"Alright." Clarion stepped forward. "Then I'm gonna patch each of you through to your joint forces so you can give your final pep-talks, then we're gonna get this party started!"

***

"I win again!" Pinkie skipped in place.

"How do you keep doing that?!" Gilda asked, pounding her fist next to the completed tic-tac-toe game the had traced on the dusty floor.

"Hey..." Rainbow Dash said, sitting up in the throne. "Do you guys hear that?"

"Hear what?" Pierce asked?

"I said testing, one, two, three!" a voice echoed in the distance. "Give me something, guys, shout if you can hear me!"

"We read you!" a sea of voices shouted in response.

"What the hay is going on?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Pierce!" The griffon rebel who had been watching the hall came running in. "You'll want to see this!" He led the group down the hall, until they came upon a window overlooking an open area below the throne room. All jaws dropped as they beheld the hundreds upon hundreds of armored griffon soldiers who now stood in formation, facing a large, floating image of a male alicorn.

"Geez, alright!" the alicorn said, rubbing his ears with his hooves. "They can hear us. It's all you, Mufasa!"

"Impudent little..." a familiar voice grunted as the alicorn vanished from sight and was replaced in the window by King J'aggerdov.

"That... is the coolest thing I have ever seen!" Pinkie whispered. "Portable movie theater!"

"I don't think we're looking at a movie..." Pierce said.

"Loyal soldiers," J'aggerdov shouted, "the time to strike is upon us! For far too long we have lived off of a dying land! For far too long we have kept our every instinct buried beneath our sedentary exteriors! Today, we release the warriors that have long been dormant inside of us! Today, we expose our hardships for the unworthy foes that they are! Today, we seize our survival!" A symphony of roars bellowed up from the soldiers.

"Are we too late?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"No way, I'm gonna go down there and give J'aggerdov a piece of my mind!" Rainbow Dash said, climbing up onto the window's ledge.

"No you're not!" Gilda grabbed Rainbow by the tail and yanked her to the floor.

***

Applejack's ears perked up. "What in tarnation is that?" What she heard was the voice of Chrysalis. It was coming from the Great Hive, and at the distance she was at, Applejack could barely hear it over the sound of the waves brushing against the shore, but as she listened more intently, the words became clearer.

"The time for vengeance has arrived, my subjects!"

"Shoot!" Applejack kicked at the sand beneath her feat. "They must be fixin' to head out!"

"The love of Equestria; every stallion, mare, and foal, will be ours for the taking! Every living thing capable of love will become another rung on our climb to absolute power!" A series of hisses and cheers came in reply.

Applejack shuddered. She turned to look at Twilight, who was still asleep, and still in the midst of a bad dream, if her struggling were any indication. "I hope you wake up soon, Twi. I'm plum outta ideas!"

***

"This is Mahugpin." He stood before the glowing window, which had been broken down into many sub-sections, containing the un-blinking gazes of every soldier in every city of the Big Deep. "Y'all each know your orders, ya know what needs to be done, and I know you'll see it through. That's all." He began to turn his Squatter away from the screen before stopping. He looked back, frowning. "And I'm sorry."

Clarion Call relaxed, and the windows vanished. "We are ready," J'aggerdov said.

"As are we." Chrysalis nodded.

"Us too." Mahugpin sighed.

"Let's begin." Delacroix nodded. "Clarion?"

"Pay attention, sweetie," Clarion said, glaring at Chrysalis. "You're about to witness the greatest magical feat every attempted." He turned away from the other four and widened his stance. He lowered his head. His horn flashed red. The Alicorn Amulet ignited, and his eyes lit up. The force of the spell he was casting kicked up the dust around his feet, and it orbited his form, as he bore his teeth.

"My word," J'aggerdov said. Clarion Call began to scream.

"Yikes!" Mahugpin grunted. "Is he gonna make it?!" The screaming intensified.

"Don't break his concentration," Delacroix warned. "Right now, he's just gathering up energy from the amulet. The actual spell will take several minutes to cast."

***

"The town of Ponyville— IS UNDER ATTACK!" the mayor shouted from her pulpit in the town square. The area was overrun with stampeding rabbits, trampling helpless citizens who were paralyzed by the adorableness of the situation, and eating every plant in sight.

"Won't somepony do something?!" Cup Cake shouted as she and her husband used their bodies to obscure both the large wedding cake they were transporting to an important client, and their two foals. Three of the rampaging rabbits caught the scent of frosting and baby powder, the former of which eventually overpowered the latter and compelled them to seek out the source.

"We're too late!" Carrot Cake shouted as the hungry rabbits began to close in. salivating at the sight of the towering confectionary wonder. "Daddy's here!" he shouted, embracing his children. "Everything's gonna be okay!"

The rabbits leapt into the air, and the Cakes shut their eyes and awaited the destruction of their day's work. Just then, the wind broke, sending an intense breeze their way. The bakers opened their eyes and gasped. The rabbits were nowhere to be seen. At the other end of the town square, a Pegasus by the name of Cloud Chaser was lying flat on the ground, four rabbits snoozing peacefully upon her torso. "Help me!" she shouted. "I can't shake them off, they just look too peaceful!" In another instant, they were gone.

One by one, the unruly rodents were swept up by something travelling at a blinding speed, until the center of town was free of their tyranny. The ponies looked on in awe as their saviors made themselves known, coming to a stop in front of the mayor's pulpit. Scootaloo, bringing her scooter to a screeching halt, casually removed her mask and grinned at the crowd. In the wagon she had been pulling, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle triumphantly held aloft the large brown sack full of struggling rabbits.

"And once again, the day is saved, thanks to the Cutie Mark Crusaders!" the mayor shouted as the crowd erupted in thunderous applause.

"Wish we could stay and enjoy this," Scootaloo said, flipping her mane, "but we've gotta get these hungry critters back to Fluttershy's cottage!" And as quickly as the had arrived, they vanished, kicking up a trail of dust in their wake. The cheering ceased, and the townsfolk immediately returned to their daily routines.

"It's just so adorable watching them help out around town like this," Cup Cake whispered to her husband.

"Sure is," Carrot Cake replied, as they wheeled the giant cake away.

"An amusing little interruption," the mayor said to her assistant as she left the pulpit.

***

"Alright, Cutie Mark Crusaders!" Apple Bloom shouted as the rabbits munched on their vegetables nearby. "Let's go over the list!" She tossed a scroll to the ground, and it unraveled itself upon impact. "We harvested the apples in the western field for AJ and baked a whole mess of cupcakes at Sugarcube Corner for Pinkie Pie!" She gestured to the place on the parchment where those two activities were written down and crossed off.

"We dusted off Rarity's design room, and alphabetized the Starswirl the Bearded shelf in Twilight's library!" Sweetie Belle added with a triumphant grin.

"Busted up those dense clouds that were hanging around the ground for Rainbow Dash," Scootaloo said. "And now, we've fed all of Fluttershy's animals!" Apple Bloom bit down on the eraser of her pencil and crossed the final item off of the list.

"We're done for the day, girls!" Sweetie Belle declared.

"It's great doing all their chores," Scootaloo said. "It's almost like they're still here!"

"And when they come back, I bet they'll be super happy we took care of Ponyville while they were gone!" Apple Bloom said. They all shared a satisfied nod. They stood there for a few moments, their heads began to sink, and their smiles faded.

Scootaloo sighed. "Is there anything else we can do?"

"We could go cheer up Spike!" Sweetie's head perked up.

"That's a great idea!" Apple Bloom said. "Poor guy's been quiet as a mouse since he started stayin' at the farm, I bet he's still shook up."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Scootaloo asked.

They all erupted at once, "Cutie Mark Crusader Cheer-Up Squad, YAY!" That was when it happened. A low hum; faint, but growing in volume.

"Y'all hear that?" Apple Bloom asked. Her friends nodded. A few yards away, a small circle of light appeared on the ground.

"What... is that?" Sweetie asked, shielding her eyes from the sun to get a better look. They were not alone. All over town, small circles of light were dotting the landscape, from one end of Ponyville to the other. And it wasn't just Ponyville. From coast to coast, the circles were appearing. In Manehattan, as Babs Seed was walking home from school, the streets were illuminated. In Appleloosa, as Braeburn helped dedicated the new statue of a pony and a buffalo bumping hooves, and the citizens and tribals looked on, their attention was turned away by the white dots that were now surrounding them.

Vanhoover, Las Pegasus, Baltimare, and every city, town, and settlement in between became covered in them. After a few minutes, they began to grow.

"Girls?" Sweetie Belle said, as the anomaly they observed grew in circumference foot-by-foot. "I think we should start moving. I'm getting a really bad feeling here."

"Let's high-tail it to the farm!" Apple Bloom nodded.

"Hop in!" Scootaloo shouted, leaping onto her scooter as her friends took their seats on the wagon. They stayed close to the edge of town as they travelled to Sweet Apple Acres, and their uneasiness grew as they could see white lights all across Ponyville. Some had taken shelter in their homes, others simply stood in place, entranced. Such was the reaction of ponies all over the country, even as those members of the royal guard who hadn't been sent to secure Equestria's borders had moved in to investigate.

Within moments, the glowing white marks had all become so large that from the sky, nearly all of Equestria would appear to be illumated by the overlapping, circular patterns. The ground began to shake.

"Shining?" Prince Blueblood asked as he and his advisor looked down at the oddity from a balcony in Canterlot Castle.

"I don't know, your Highness," Shining Armor replied. "I've sent our fastest carrier pigeons to the coasts with an order for the Guard to return to their assigned provinces."

"What do you think this—" Blueblood's words were cut short as a deafening crack sounded across the landscape. An explosion of light, bursting forth from each and every glowing point on the map, blinded all who had been watching. Those who beheld it shielded and rubbed their eyes, and when they opened them again, all in Equestria were greeted by the same sight: The sky had been blacked by countless griffons and changelings. The ground shook with the march of thousands of canine soldiers.

They branched out from their respective points on the ground, and a second later, a shower of large nets and green bolts of magical energy rained down upon those onlookers who were closest to the points of impact, restraining and incapacitating them. Everyone else ran screaming, and the aggressors gave chase. The invasion of Equestria had begun.