• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 1,952 Views, 44 Comments

Neither Created Nor Destroyed - Sage Runner



Twilight and her friends are taken from their homeland as surrounding nations prepare to invade, and unearth an ancient secret that could change life as they know it forever.

  • ...
5
 44
 1,952

Chapter Nine - Point A, Point B

Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Gilda had finally arrived at the rebels' camp, following Pierce and his troops. What greeted them was a settlement of men, women, and children who lived in tents at the base of a mountain. They had travelled in silence most of the way, just in case J'aggerdov's soldiers decided to come after them again.

"Let's get this off of you, Ma'am," one of Pierce's men said as he grabbed some nearby tools and started to tamper with the lock on Rainbow Dash's wing restraints.

Rainbow Dash grinned. "Thanks! That'd definitely make things a heck of a lot easier!"

"So what's your deal, Pierce?" Gilda looked around the camp. "I didn't know there was a rebellion."

Pierce shook his head. "That's just what the canaries call it."

"Canaries?" Gilda and Pinkie Pie asked in unison.

"Sycophants, loyalists," Pierce said, raising one claw for each category, "anyone who refuses to tell J'aggerdov he's wrong about anything."

"And the King called you rebels for doing it?" Gilda cocked an eyebrow. "I've questioned him, and he never said anything like that to me."

"I don't know what sort of relationship you have with him," Pierce replied, "but most folk aren't granted audiences with the King. As you probably know, King J'aggerdov communicates with the population of this land via appointed representatives from each city and village."

"Right," Gilda replied, nodding her head. "It's been a while since I've lived here, but I remember that much."

"We come from a poor village far to the north," Pierce said, "a place where the famine has been particularly brutal. I had been elected by my fellow villagers to go to the King and beg him to reconsider his isolationist policies."

"Isolationist?" Rainbow Dash asked as Pierce's companion continued to fiddle with her harness.

"J'aggerdov and his ancestors all felt the same way," Pierce explained. "They believed that asking for help or accepting aid from outsiders was a sign of weakness unless some form of conquest was involved."

"Which not every griffon agrees with, by the way," Gilda added.

"Right." Pierce nodded. "But the King has absolute power, and each member of his army is trained at a young age to follow his orders without question. Each king for the past few hundred years has used the griffon military to guard the borders of our kingdom on all sides. Nothing gets in or out without permission."

A grunt of frustration could be heard as a screwdriver snapped in half in the lock of Rainbow Dash's harness. "Damnit," the Griffon said. "Hold on, I need to get our locksmith."

"In the past, the Kingdom was self-sufficient." Pierce continued. "But in recent years, the land grew barren. All over the country, the farmable areas have been dying out. The animals that we used to hunt have been dying off. I told the representative that the griffons could no longer afford to keep to themselves, that we needed outside help or our people would die!"

"Well duh," Pinkie said, "of course you need outside help! You should just ask Princess Celestia!" She smiled brightly. "She would be all 'I'm super-nice so I can't let those poor Griffons starve! Applejack, bring me your finest apples, we're gonna give 'em to hungry Griffons!' Applejack's my friend by the way, and she's super-nice too, so she'd do it!"

"Uh...huh..." Pierce's eyes widened as he took a step away from her. "...The problem is that the representative told me to leave the castle and never return. That our self-sufficient lifestyle was the cornerstone of our honor. I told him I wouldn't drop the issue no matter what, so he made up some story about how I threatened to attack, and my entire village was deemed a rebel stronghold."

'That's crazy!" Rainbow Dash shouted. The Griffon from before returned to her side with an elderly-looking locksmith who began to inspect the restraints. "You couldn't tell anypony?"

"The thought did cross my mind," Pierce replied. "That was before a squad from J'aggerdov's army showed up and laid waste to the village."

Rainbow Dash bowed her head. "...oh."

"After that," Pierce said, "we decided that if the representatives deemed us rebels, that's exactly what we'd be. King J'aggerdov does care about his people's well-being. The problem is that he's surrounded by yes-men who wouldn't dare question a single decision he makes, so if a rebellion is what it takes to make him realize that his policies are killing our people, then that's what it takes."

"I hate to tell you this." Gilda took a step toward Pierce. "King J'aggerdov already found a solution."

"He what?" Pierce asked.

"Yes!" Rainbow Dash declared triumphantly as her bindings came lose at the locksmith's touch and clattered to the ground. She grinned widely, stretched out her wings, and did a quick flip into the air before landing. "Now that's what I'm talkin' about! What was that about solutions, G?"

"It can only mean one thing," the old locksmith said, turning away from Rainbow Dash and toward Pierce. "J'aggerdov's finally gone and taken care of the yeti!"

"Not this again..." Pierce smacked his forehead. "Please, Clement, not in front of the guests!"

"They need to know!" Clement shouted. "I seen it with my own eyes!"

"Yes, you've told us." Pierce waved the old man away. "Big, ape-like creature, flowing garment, gray, hairless, wrinkly leather flesh. Wandered the Kingdom three years ago cursing the lands." He rolled his eyes. "Nothing unbelievable about that at all."

"It used some kinda crazy potion!" Clement added. "It used a potion to destroy our farms, poison our trees, and kill our wildlife!"

Pierce sighed. "Yes, of course it did."

"Sounds like the sasquatch that was chasing us!" Pinkie bounced with each word, approaching Clement.

Clement raised his head and squinted at Pinkie Pie. "You... you seen it, too?"

"Well, maybe." Pinkie stroked her chin. "Did the ground get all crickly-crackly whenever it was around?"

Clement jumped. "Yes! And it shrieked!"

"Omigosh!" Pinkie jumped as well. "Ours totally did too!"

"What are they talking about?" Pierce asked, turning to Gilda and Rainbow Dash.

"When we escaped," Gilda explained, "something... we call it 'sasquatch'... it came after us. And I have to admit, it looked an awful lot like what your buddy, there, is talking about."

"You can't be serious," Pierce said. He resting his face in the palm of his hand. "And three, two, one..."

"I told ya so!" Clement shouted, nudging Pierce. "I told ya it was real!"

"Let's say I believe this," Pierce replied. "Is Clement right, Gilda? If this yeti, sasquatch, or whatever it is really did cause this nation's famine, and it's now in the castle, does that mean the hard times are over?"

"No," Gilda replied. "If that... thing really is responsible, King J'aggerdov doesn't know. He was talking with it. I think it's his ally."

"Then what solution are you talking about?" Pierce asked.

"Invasion," Gilda replied. Pierce and Clement went wide-eyed as Pinkie and Dash nodded solemnly. "I don't know all the details, but he's planning to go in with the diamond dogs to the west of Equestria, and the changelings to the northwest. They wanna take it over. The griffons will take its food, the diamond dogs will take the land to live on, and the changelings will take the ponies to feed on."

"What?!" Rainbow Dash screamed, taking to the air. "Look after Pinkie Pie, I'm getting back over there now and warning Princess Celestia!"

"Hold it!" Pierce said, floating up in front of Dash. "You'll never get past the border guards. You'll just wind up back in the dungeon if you try to leave!"

"I don't care, I'm gonna risk it!"

"Dashie!" Pinkie shouted, sternly. "Getting recaptured won't help anypony."

"So what should I do, then?" Rainbow Dash frowned.

"Granny Pie always said that the bigger a problem, the more careful you have to be. Think about it: If the sasquatch is really what's causing the famine here, then Jaggydoff doesn't know," Pinkie explained.

"So?" Dash landed on the ground and faced Pinkie.

Pinkie smiled and rolled her eyes. "So we have to tell him, silly!"

"She's right," Pierce added. "We need to find a way to confront the King and tell him what we know. That might be enough to stop this invasion, or at least our people's part in it."

"King J'aggerdov made me a special advisor before I sprang Pinkie and Dash," Gilda said. "I'll help you guys get to him if I can."

"And in the meantime we just let our friends lounge around in Equestria while a war's coming?!" Rainbow Dash asked. Pierce whistled loudly, and a blur darted down past Dash's head. A pigeon landed softly on Pierce's outstretched arm.

"Homer, here, is small and fast enough to evade the border guard," Pierce said. "He's the fastest carrier pigeon I've ever had. Gilda," he said, turning to her, "I want you to write down everything you know about the invasion. We'll attach it to Homer's leg and get it to the pony princess as fast as possible. Is that alright with you, Dash?"

"Hmph!" Dash pouted, sitting on the ground and folding her forelegs. "I'd rather handle it myself, but I guess it's alright."

"Aw, cheer up, Dashie!" Pinkie tapped her friend on the head. "We get to be diplomats! This is gonna be way more fun than Las Pegasus!"

"Is she always like that?" Pierce whispered to Gilda.

"Yeah," Gilda replied. "Used to drive me nuts, but now I think I get it. That pony eventually makes friends with everyone she meets. If we're gonna make King J'aggerdov reconsider his 'no-outsiders' rule, we're gonna need her to soften him up."

"Alright," Pierce replied. "Let's get to work, everyone!"

***

"Obviously, I know that none of this is real," Twilight said. All of the images of her friends, save for Applejac,k vanished. "Why are you keeping up this charade?"

"You underestimate your own feelings," the fake Applejack replied with a grin. "The mere image of Applejack is causing you to exhibit emotions that I can use. Your love for all five of your friends is great, but your bond with this one in particular... yes, you rely on her strength often, and you trust her more than anyone else you know." Twilight averted her gaze as the apparition licked its lips. "You don't need to respond, I already know I'm right."

"So, this illusion was created to surround me with the ponies I care about the most," Twilight replied, continuing to avoid eye contact. "I'm guessing your captives all find themselves in illusions like this, and the love they experience from their connections is harvested and used to feed the changelings."

"Very astute, as Delacroix said," Applejack replied.

"Who is Delacroix?" Twilight shuddered. "What is Delacroix?"

"I have no idea." Applejack shuddered as well. "I was made aware of his existence at the same moment you were. Up until now, all of our dealings with the other factions involved in this plan have been mediated by a unicorn named Clarion Call. Whoever or whatever Delacroix is, if he believes he is using Queen Chrysalis, his arrogance will cost him dearly."

"You refer to the queen in the third person," Twilight said, tilting her head and sinking into a sitting position on the floor. "I was under the impression that you were Chrysalis."

The apparition shook her head. "I haven't been the queen for nearly ten years."

"I'm not sure I follow," Twilight replied.

"When a changeling queen reaches a certain stage in her life cycle..." Their surroundings shifted from a hallway in the Crystal Palace to a room that was similar in nature to the one Twilight was actually in.

"She undergoes a transformation. Once I was of age, the nature of my existence was altered." Twilight beheld a Changeling, similar in appearance to Chrysalis, but much more haggard and with deep wrinkles covering her face. Applejack gestured towards the changeling as she encased herself in a cocoon.

The ceiling of the large room faded away, leaving the sky visible, as the Sun and the Moon rapidly shot across the sky, night changing to day over and over again. Finally, time slowed down, and Twilight's gaze returned to the cocoon, which was now three times its original size. Twilight gasped as the apparatus began pulsating like a beating heart, connected by many thousands of small veins to the walls around it.

"I took my mother's place as the central nervous system for the Great Hive and beyond, while my daughter took my place as queen. All of our food is connected to me. My body provides each and every one of them with an illusionary world best suited to harvest their love, then it processes that love and disperses it among my children."

"I see." Twilight continued to stare at the throbbing pod. "That must be a very taxing job. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to sacrifice your body and freedom to do it."

"I believed at the time that I would be sacrificing my mind, as well," the Nervous System explained. "I didn't realize until I underwent the transformation that a central nervous system retains her consciousness. The creation of dreams from memory is an involuntary biological action, my mind is only as involved as I want it to be."

"And you never had second thoughts?" Twilight asked.

"I did it for my daughter, and my people," she replied. "I don't know if you ponies have ever experienced a ravenous hunger akin to that of a malnourished Changeling, but it is a maddening sensation that I have felt before, and will never allow my daughter or her children to feel."

Twilight frowned as she heard this, and Applejack's form twitched slightly. It stifled a grin

"I have to ask, why are you telling me all of this?" Twilight said.

"You know what's going on," the Central Nervous System replied, the nearby cocoon now throbbing in rhythm with Applejack's speech. "Nothing like this has ever happened before. You are the first sentient creature I've spoken to since I became..." she jerked her head towards the pod. "The interaction is... pleasant. Furthermore, there's no way you can escape, regardless of what you know. I have no need to hide things from food."

Twilight nodded. "I see. Well, if that's the case, would you mind indulging my curiosity a bit?"

"Of course," the Central Nervous System replied. "The longer I talk to you in the form of your friend, the more emotion I can harvest. What's more, that fleeting moment of empathy you felt for me as I explained our plight was especially satisfying."

"What other factions are involved with this invasion?" Twilight asked, lifting her head slightly.

"Chrysalis, through Clarion Call, has allied herself with King J'aggerdov and his Griffon Kingdom, as well as the diamond dog known as Mahugpin, and the nation he commands." Applejack gestured first to the left, then to the right, as apparitions of the aforementioned leaders appeared on either side.

"I've never heard of Mahugpin," Twilight replied. "And I was given to understand that the diamond dogs were a gang that lived on the outskirts of Ponyville."

Applejack shook her head. "They are an underground nation on a continent south of the Great Hive." The room shifted completely, and Twilight and Applejack now stood directly above the ocean.

In one direction, the towering Great Hive could be seen on the horizon. In the other direction, a coastline was visible. The setting Sun did, indeed, place the coastline to the south.

"I already know what the changelings have to gain from conquering Equestria," Twilight replied, looking down at herself. "But the griffons and the diamond dogs... Why would they want to attack us?"

"The griffons simply want to reap the benefits of Equestria's fertile soil, their own land being quite barren." Twilght and Applejack, despite being perfectly still, were now rocketing across a cracked and dry land, its surface dotted with tall mountains, but no visible vegetation.

"The diamond dogs wish to make a home there. In their current environment, they live under constant threat from a larger, deadlier predator." Twilight was now in a vast swampland with trees all around her. Among them lurked hulking shadows emanating low, sustained snarls.

"And Clarion Call was the one who united all of you?" Twilight asked.

"That is what my daughter had told her subjects," the Central Nervous System replied as it glanced off to the side. "Though it would seem she's been keeping at least one secret from them."

"Were you able to glean anything from Delacroix's memory?"

"He only interfered with your pod for a few seconds. I saw the memory you saw." Twilight's perspective was once again returned to the man strapped into the chair, beneath the dome. Time seemed to have stopped around her, as nothing, even the gray cloud, was moving. "This memory is four thousand years old."

"The structures, the technology, this bipedal species..." Twilight Sparkle whispered as she found herself standing in the hall of the Crystal Castle once more.

"To think that such a civilization, so much like our own, existed four thousand years ago, but could vanish without leaving a single known trace of their existence. Where could he have come from?" She scratched her chin, extending her lower lip.

"It doesn't really matter," Applejack replied. "Delacroix is insignificant in the grand scheme of things."

"I suppose that's a logical assumption for the time being," Twilight replied. "I have another question."

"Ask."

"Applejack and I were kidnapped by your people. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were leaving for a trip with a griffon friend of Dash's. Rarity and Fluttershy were still in Ponyville last I knew. Would I be correct in assuming we were kidnapped in pairs by the corresponding factions?" Twilight asked, narrowing her gaze.

"Yes." Applejack grinned. "You're a clever one."

"Thank you for the information." Twilight stood up. "I'm sorry to hear that your people must stoop to such reprehensible actions in order to obtain nourishment, and I would very much like to help you some day. But for now, if I'm going to save Equestria, I need to be going."

The Central Nervous System actually laughed. "You've got a sense of humor, to boot! I think I will speak to you on a regular basis, Twilight Sparkle."

"When it comes to magic, visualization is the key," Twilight replied. The Nervous System tilted her head.

"For example, when it comes to my teleportation spell, the trick is to visualize myself moving from point A to point B in the blink of an eye. Were I to use that spell here, I would be visualizing two locations that didn't actually exist, and therefore would not actually be casting any spells, though you'd probably shift me yourself so I wouldn't catch wise."

"What's your point?" the Central Nervous System asked.

"My point is that I know where I actually am," Twilight replied. "I know I'm contained within a pod, and I know that pod is contained within a large, dimly lit chamber." Applejack's eyes went wide. Twilight Sparkle grinned. "That's right. I have my point A, and I have my point B."

"And what makes you think I haven't prepared for something like that?" the Central Nervous System asked, a forced grin spreading across her face.

"By your own admission, nothing like this has ever happened before." Twilight said. "Although we'll find out for sure right now."

"Stop!" Applejack commanded. "Yes, you're right, I don't know what will happen. Our minds are linked, Twilight Sparkle. If you sever the connection from the inside, it could destroy us both!"

Twilight looked the apparition dead in the eyes, unblinking. "Then release me!"

"I can't!" the Central Nervous System spat back. Twilight sighed and shook her head gently, seating herself again. She closed her eyes, and throttled the magic in her horn. "No, stop it! Are you insane!?" Twilight's only response was the magical aura around her horn that grew in size.

"I'm in the pod, I can see myself in the pod," Twilight thought, visualizing her true location. "There is a space directly in front of me, where Delacroix stood, between myself and the real Applejack." The Central Nervous System gasped as Twilight became engulfed in a bright, lavender light.

"No you don't!" She charging at Twilight, only to find that her body passed right through the unicorn's form. The magic's light and pressure grew in intensity. "To think that she can concentrate enough to be unaffected by my illusion," the Nervous System thought. "Please, I'm begging you, do not do this!" She pressed her hooves together.

"I'm inside the pod," Twilight thought again, "I'm inside the pod... AND NOW I'M NOT!" Twilight screamed as a stabbing pain shot through her head, the sound of a female voice shrieking in her ears. This was followed by a blow to Twilight's back and shoulders, and then everything went silent.

She opened her eyes, which needed a moment to adjust, and she became aware of her surroundings. She was lying on the floor, directly next to the pod that had once contained her. She allowed herself a triumphant smile before standing up, only to fall to the floor again.

Her vision was blurry, and the room was spinning, but she forced her gazed upward and beheld the pod containing Applejack. She shook her head until her vision corrected itself. Gritting her teeth and squinting, she forced herself to her feet. She stumbled a bit, until she was slumped against Applejack's pod.

With all of her might, she slammed her horn against it, cracking the surface. She pounded against the crack with her hooves until the opening was large enough for her to dig into. With all of her might, she pulled.

Finally, the surface gave way with a sickening crack. Twilight lost her balance and fell onto her back as Applejack came tumbling out of her pod, soaked in a smelly green fluid. She coughed three times before opening her eyes.

"Applejack?" Twilight groaned, finally making eye contact with her friend.

"Yeah, it's me, sugarcube," Applejack replied, standing up and giving Twilight a smile.

"We—" Twilight felt Applejack's hoof on her lips.

"Shh, I know," she said. "The pod put me in your memory, just like it put you in that Delacroix feller's. I'm all up to speed. You don't look so good. But don't you worry, I'm gonna get us outta here lickety-split. You just focus on restin' up."

Before Twilight could reply, she was hoisted onto Applejack's back. She grimaced as she felt the pod's fluid squished beneath her, but was otherwise grateful for the chance to rest.

"The other prisoners," Twilight said.

"It'll take a lot more ponies than just us two to free 'em, but we'll make sure Princess Celestia knows about 'em when we get back home," Applejack replied softly.

"Thank you," Twilight whispered, a tear streaming down her face as Applejack began to walk. Exhaustion overtaking her, she began to lose consciousness, her head resting against Applejack's mane. She heard the sound of a third voice groaning in her ears, but thought nothing of it, as she could see nobody else around them.

***

"So you sent the families home?" Princess Luna asked. She and Princess Celestia stood side-by-side in front of the stained glass window depicting Nightmare Moon's defeat.

"Yes." Celestia nodded slowly. "I believe it's for the best, after the attack that took place the other night."

"How are the guards?" Luna asked. She glanced over at the shattered compartment where the Elements of Harmony had once been kept.

"Stable." She shook her head. "But neither has regained consciousness."

"And you suspect that Clarion Call was behind it?"

"For now." Celestia replied. "I don't know if he's working alone or if he has accomplices, but Shining Armor informed me that he confessed only to being directly involved in the abductions of Rarity and Fluttershy."

"And you still suspect ransom?"

"I think that's the most likely motive," Celestia replied, turning to her sister. "I told their families to keep watch for any messages that may come to them demanding payment. Still, now that he has the Alicorn Amulet, I just don't know what to expect..."

"Ain't that the truth!" a voice echoed from behind them. Celestia and Luna turned to see Clarion Call standing at the opposite end of the long hall, a smile on his face. He seemed to have gotten a bit taller since the last time they had seen him.

Celestia glared at the unicorn. "So, you finally appear."

"We will give you one chance to release your prisoners immediately," Luna said as she and Celestia approached him.

"Wish I could." Clarion shook his head. "'Cause I get it, really. Their families miss 'em, they've got responsibilities, they're heroes, they've left a pretty big void in the hearts of several, right? But it's just not part of the boss' plan to let them go."

"So you are working for somepony else," Celestia replied.

"Celestia and Luna," another, much deeper voice softly spoke behind them. The sisters tensed up, and their eyes widened. "Has it really been four thousand years?" The alicorn pair spun on their hind legs to behold Delacroix who, like Clarion, was smiling at them. "Do you still remember me?"

Celestia was at a loss for words, the only sounds coming from her gaping mouth being short, shallow breaths. Luna, on the other hand, took to the air immediately.

"Prepare to die, monster!" she spat, raising her voice to Royal Canterlot level as she loosed a magical blast so powerful that Clarion Call could feel its pressure all the way from where he stood.

"I'll take that as a 'yes'," Delacroix replied in the moment before he was consumed. Celestia shielded her eyes from the glare of the attack as a pained shriek was heard.

"I do not care how it is you have returned, and I will not let history repeat itself!" Luna's voice boomed as she increased the intensity of her attack, resulting in cracks forming around it.

Suddenly, the screaming ceased, and a powerful shockwave knocked the beam away from Delacroix and back into Princess Luna, sending her skidding across the floor, smoke trailing from her horn.

Delacroix gave Clarion Call a nod. "While she's vulnerable."

"Gotcha!" Clarion shouted, charging up a spell of his own. Before Celestia could react, Princess Luna vanished in a white flash of light.

"What did you do?!" Celestia asked.

"I used my teleportation spell," Clarion explained. "Only, thanks to this wonderful little trinket of mine, I can use it on other ponies without using it on myself too. Even an alicorn if she's been roughed-up a bit."

"Where did you send her?!" Celestia shouted, stomping her hoof against the floor.

"Yeah, see, that's the thing..." Clarion looked off to the side, sucking his teeth. "I didn't actually specify a location, so she's technically nowhere."

"Nowhere?!"

"Right. Like I don't know what she's seeing or feeling right now, but she's not here... in this world," Clarion explained. Celestia imprisoned him within a stasis field.

She turned to Delacroix. "I'll deal with him after I've dealt with you." She frantically looked the creature up and down. "I don't understand how you could possibly be standing here before me, Delacroix. The Elements of Harmony—"

"Did little more than sweep me under the rug," Delacroix said. He shook his head and took a few elegant steps toward her. Cracks began to branch out from his feet along the floors and up the wall behind him, reaching the stained glass window. Celestia could feel the pressure emanating from him.

Celestia bore her teeth. "When did you gain the ability to use magic?"

"When you used the Elements on me," Delacroix replied. "Your attack allowed my body to attune to its properties."

"You orchestrated the abductions..." Celestia's words practically died on her lips as she turned to confront Clarion. "You ignorant foal!" From inside his prison, Clarion pointed to himself, jutting his lower lip forward in a pouty expression and elevating his brow.

"You have no idea what he's capable of! Whatever he promised you, you won't get it! The only thing he even cares about is—" she was cut off by a blast of Delacroix's chaotic energy, which sent her to the ground. Clarion Call was released.

"No dice," Clarion replied, preparing his second teleportation spell. "Delacroix, here, broke the seal you put on my magic, sweetheart, so he's already given me what he promised. Buh-bye, now!" He gave a delicate wave of his hoof.

"No, you don't understa—" Celestia vanished without a trace.

"Two for two!" Clarion declared. "Kingdom's ours now, right?"

"We're not invincible, remember that." Delacroix gently shook his head. "The rest of Equestria stands before us. The Elements of Harmony must be found."

"Speaking of which..." Clarion walked toward his partner. "I think Sparkle's little dragon manservant back in Ponyville might be able to help us out."

"Then that's our next destination," Delacroix replied.

"May I ask what our dearly deposed princesses meant when they talked like you three had a history together?" Clarion asked.

"You may not."