• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 1,873 Views, 85 Comments

Raging Star - Kaf_Kraked_Poni



A very violent and strange creature arrives in Equestria, wreaking havoc amongst its civilians. After quelling the chaos, Celestia orders this bipedal primate to be forever banished, but who would house such a blood-thirsty creature?

  • ...
15
 85
 1,873

S1: Ep. 4 - Rock the Dragon

“Come on out little monkey.” Frothy dew crept along the ground, seeking out the hidden intruder within the dense forest. Terrano crept just as silently, exhaling more of the sticky breath with each step. Clumps of sod and decayed soil softened his trampling as his form stretched and weaved through the intricately designed forest. He slowed his movements, catching wind of Raging Star’s scent and chuckled softly to himself. Terrano’s tail buried itself underground, and the earthen dragon remained still. Small pockets of vibrations collided with his scales, yielding a smile under the dragon’s snout.

“You’re there!” Terrano’s tail exited the earth, smashing into a nearby tree. A shaky figure within the leaves came stumbling out, plummeting to the ground, forced into submission by a great claw. The dragon’s talons dug deep into the dirt, permitting its palm to press against Raging Star’s body. The tailed boy resisted, pushing against the crushing force of his oppressor. Terrano’s grin slowly turned into a frustrated scowl as he brought down his second claw over the first.

“Get off of me!” Raging Star’s voice rocked the dragon allowing him one good push. The upheaval forced Terrano’s claws to fly directly into his snout. Raging Star rose to his feet, slipping under the incensed dragon and back into the forest. Purple flames danced upon the treetops of Terrano’s forest, spilling out of his jaws with each agonizing cry.

“Come on, where is the stupid tree line?” Raging Star stopped again when he was sure the danger was gone. He cursed himself for failing to seek out the tree line as he fled. Terrano was wearing him out, and without a clear exit, there was no way Raging Star would survive. Hunger attacked the boy as powerfully as fear, adding to his sense of fatigue.

“Insolent boy,” Terrano muttered calmer than Raging Star expected. “You cannot hide in my forest.” A mossy claw shot from under Raging Star, forcing the boy to lunge forward into a bramble of thorny bushes. Terrano’s form sprung from the earth once more, and spewed vivid violet flames into the undergrowth. Raging Star leapt from his position, hoping to cling onto a low enough branch for support. The dragon’s tail interrupted Raging Star again, crashing into his side before he could complete the motion. A broken trail of splintered wood and uprooted plants led Terrano to the damaged body.

“Damn it,” Raging Star muttered in a low whine. Before he could rise, he found himself lodged in a roll of soil and wedged between the mighty claws of his relentless hunter.

“I was originally going to eat you,” Terrano said in a low growl. “I’ve decided that instead, you will become part of my collection. I’ve torn up the forest quite a bit because of you, and I believe there is a price to pay for that.”

“So… hungry,” Raging Star groaned. Terrano exhaled forcefully, grinning at his captive’s dismay. Raging Star’s eyes watered and he threw up violently. Sulfurous spores attached themselves to his face as he gasped for fresh air.

“Delicious isn’t it?” Terrano chuckled. “Soon you’ll come to enjoy the earth as I do. Allow me to show you my lair,” the emerald dragon said. Using his free arm, Terrano dug into the earth, though it appeared as if the soil simply parted at his command. Suddenly, Raging Star’s vision no longer held any of the green forest, but the dark mustiness of the dirty grave Terrano was building. Lower and lower the two went, diving deep into the unknown underground.


“Two hours,” Terrano said as Raging Star peered through the thick shadow. “Two hours in an oxygen deprived burrow. You must not be of this world.” His enormous jaw opened wide, clamping down on an oddly shaped gourd. Terrano’s munch snapped Raging Star into full consciousness. His nose caught the sweet scent, commanding his stomach to howl unforgivingly into the chasm. Terrano stopped, examining the large fruit in his claw and grinned widely after noticing Raging Star’s interest. He took another bite, slowing down enough for the boy to see his teeth slice through the fruit and rip into his mouth. As he chewed, streams of fluid drizzled down his mouth. He made a satisfying gulp at the end of his demonstration.

“Please… give me… some…” Raging Star’s voice was thin. He tried to move his arms, but found no strength to traffic his limbs. His neck remained as the only joint he could move. The boy’s body held just as firmly as his arms and legs, stuck to what could have been the wall.

“No oxygen and you can see in the dark? That’s some magic you possess boy,” Terrano praised. He ate again, exaggerating each chew as he feasted. Taking advantage of his guest’s immobility, Terrano stomped over to Raging Star and held the fruit out just inches away from the boy. “I grow these underground,” Terrano explained whisking it away as Raging Star attempted to eat.

“They mature from the very essence of the forest, becoming sweeter and more satisfying with every year. Depending on the condition of the forest, they could be considered a natural cure-all,” Terrano bragged, finished the gourd in one gulp. Residual spray splattered on Raging Star’s face as the earthen dragon smacked his chops together. The captive boy could hear him digging, but kept his eyes shut and his head low. The sweet aroma tickled his nostrils again, and just as quickly vanished.

“Would you like some?” Terrano asked suddenly. Raging Star’s head propped up, his throat searching for a reply. “If you don’t say anything, then I won’t give you any. Beg to me, worm.” Raging Star opened his mouth to speak, but nothing sounded. A tiny whine broke through the dark, followed by a gasp and two coughs.

“You’re almost dead, so I don’t see why I shouldn’t at least let you have a bite. I’ll wait until your very last breath,” Terrano snickered. His snout came dangerously close to the boy, and he held up the large fruit in front of Raging Star. The freshly exposed gourd hung inches away, sopping wet with savory secretions. Raging Star gasped twice more, the second higher than the first. At that moment, Terrano shoved the gourd into the wall smothering Raging Star within its meat.

“Enjoy it runt! You’ll become a part of this forest along with the rest of the compost!” Terrano’s arm held firmly, encased in the dirt wall of his burrow. For a moment, he remained still, unsure of why he hadn’t released his hold. A grin spread over his face amidst the absence of noise and he removed his arm, checking under his soiled crop.

“I’ll kill you!” Raging Star emerged from the gourd, smashing his fist under Terrano’s gaping jaw. Terrano’s head crashed into the ceiling along with his shattered fangs. Raging Star let loose a flurry of punches into the underside of the dragon’s jaw. He did not stop, continuing on even after he and the dragon broke the surface of the earth. “Go die you asshole!” Raging Star was able to exclaim after inhaling. He whipped his body around and rammed his heel into Terrano’s throat.

The dragon crashed into the forest below, flattening a row of trees next to his flowing stream. Raging Star took in several deep breaths and coughed wildly, spitting out dirt and other minerally solids. He brought his head down, and stared below. The boy’s eyes instantly widened as his throat felt for a scream. His stomach shot into his chest, worsening during his rapid descent. Raging Star was finally able to release his stockpile several meters from the floor. His eyes shut, preparing for impact. Unable to escape, he waited… two seconds… six seconds… 14 seconds?

The overwhelming sense of dread abandoned his body, and he nearly stumbled backwards after opening his eyes, squatting safely on the ground with his feet planted firmly in the soil of the forest.

“What happened?” The question ran continuously through is mind, but his body gave out. Raging Star planted his rear into the dirt before he could sum up a logical answer. His entire body shook, though he couldn’t explain why. Looking up from his slumped position, Raging Star spotted the corpse of a large emerald scaled lizard. His eyes locked onto his bruised hands then. Burning droplets fell into his open palms before he fell forward, burying his face into the dirt.


3 Days Later


“Mr. Satyan, please rise.” Luna remained as poised as she could. The mere sight of the orange coated Minotaur caused tiny spasms within her gut. Celestia sat directly to her sister’s left, lounging uninterestedly within her throne. “It’s been a while hasn’t it?” Celestia continued after Satyan stood at full attention.

“Almost seven years to the day,” the bold Minotaur replied.

“Six years and seven months since you took that thing,” Celestia said.

“Speaking of Raging Star,” Luna interrupted, catching the gaze of her sister and the bull, “how is the child? I assume you came without him because he is not yet… cultured? Is it wise to leave him without your supervision?”

“One question at a time Your Highness,” Satyan answered. “It won’t do you any good to worry. As for your inquiries, Raging Star is great. We’ve learned a lot from each other in this unique experience you’ve granted us.”

“I certainly see a change in you,” Celestia commented.

“Why thank you,” Satyan remarked with a huff. “I worked him hard and disciplined the bra… brazen boy well enough to respond to certain social ques. I can assure you, he’ll be as civilized as a simple blueblood.”

“Then why have you not brought him with you?” Luna’s angst was painfully obvious.

“In time Princess,” Satyan replied. “Making a diamond out of this rock is a fine process. There’s more to it than laborious chores. Chiseling is an art form you know?”

“Interesting how delicate this process is. You’ve invested so much time into it, and yet you decide to appease us with words rather than show us the product,” Celestia pointed out. Her eyes narrowed in Satyan’s direction. He simply bowed in acknowledgement to her claims.

“I can understand your skepticism Milady, but I can promise without a doubt that Raging Star will be as easy to control as a puppet.”

“We do not want to control him,” Luna said quickly. “We want him to live among us. We wished for you to quell his anger, not rid him of his emotions.”

“Speak for yourself,” Celestia said to her sister.

“I am,” Luna said without thinking.

“I only meant it as a figure of speech,” Satyan responded. “It seems my visit has done the complete opposite of what I had hoped.”

“It’s not your fault,” Luna said. Her eyes fell towards her lap while she clasped her hands together.

“How long must we wait Satyan? When will it be comfortable for Raging Star to visit?”

“Allow me six more months,” Satyan entreated of the solar princess. “By then he will be well enough to walk all over the city. Everypony will be surprised at first, but after they see how he’s become, they’ll come to accept him for who he really is.”

“How does a Minotaur become accustomed to the Pony culture?” Luna wondered.

“I have hired outside help in regards to this matter,” Satyan said. “Every so often a Unicorn visits my estate. I’ve used him to familiarize Raging Star with the customs and practices of Equestria.”

“You must pay well,” Celestia said smirking.

“I own a diamond factory Your Highness. This is beside the point however. My visitation was to merely update you on the status of Raging Star in person, seeing as how I was so close to Equestria this time,” Satyan said in a bow.

“Six months,” Luna mused openly. “That’ll put his arrival close to the Summer Sun Festival.”

“As if I didn’t have enough to worry about then,” Celestia complained.

“Do not fret my princesses,” Satyan intervened. “We shall visit the festival as a troupe of traveling Minotaur. I figured it would be best to introduce Raging Star publically, as to limit the opinions one might have of his unique appearance.”

“How so? Would you introduce him to Equestria?”

“No,” Satyan flatly responded. “Princess Luna shall, along with your approval of Raging Star Princess Celestia.”

“It makes sense,” Luna said out loud. “Nopony would recognize him as he was a massive monster during the accident.”

“I’m sure the monkey tail isn’t a direct giveaway,” Celestia interjected into her sister’s thoughts. Luna shook herself back to her senses.

“Stop being so pessimistic sister,” Luna shouted. “We have a chance to redeem a creature of life that would otherwise have been destroyed.”

“Luna…” Celestia’s tone mimicked the stinging pinching of her brow. “I understand what you considered of it when it was an infant, but we’re talking about a potential weapon with a basic understanding of its abilities. I’m sure it’s come to realize that it can perform extraordinary feats.”

“I understand your concern princess, but you have no reason to doubt my methods,” Satyan tried to relate again.

“Oh, don’t I?” Celestia interrupted suddenly. “I’ve got enough to worry about in this kingdom. If I also have to keep an animal in check just so it doesn’t destroy half of Equestria when the local bakery runs out of sweets, then consider my judgment final on Raging star!” Her voice rose to a fever pitch at the crux of her statement. The solar princess eyed her sister critically, biting her lip to avoid speaking any higher.

“Sister, I…”

“That thing will be under your watch. I want nothing to do with him. Should I find one reason to believe you’ve lost control over that monkey, I won’t hesitate to use my half, understood?” Celestia’s voice drowned out whatever plea Luna had planned to make.

“I understand that much,” Luna replied. “What I do not understand is how aggressive you’ve been as of late!”

“Don’t pretend like you don’t know,” Celestia replied. “I’m still paying for the damages he caused in Manehattan seven years ago. Ponies are just now coping with the sudden appearance and disappearance of a giant monkey. The Griffon Republic refuses to believe that it wasn’t a freak weapon accident, and they’re not the only ones concerned about an entire city vanishing in one night.”

“I seem to be intruding now,” Satyan stated. “If it pleases the princesses, I shall leave and we can discuss this under better conditions.”

“It seems you’ve only just arrived though,” Celestia had to say before Satyan moved. “Why don’t you stay the night? It’s not often somepony visits Canterlot to request an audience with its rulers for only ten minutes.”

“I understand this could have been sorted out through a simple letter, but as I said earlier, I happened to be in the neighborhood. I make it a personal matter of mine to speak with my clients in person occasionally.”

“Once every seven years,” Celestia mumbled under her breath.

“Forgive us Satyan,” Luna said then. “Your arrival was just ill timed. We met under strange conditions and spoke very little over the manner of Raging Star. If you cannot stay, then allow us some time to consider what you’ve shared before leaving.”

“Consider all you wish. I just remembered I have some errands to run while I am here,” Satyan said. “I shall remain within Canterlot for the next few hours. Afterwards I will be gone.” The Minotaur bowed again, making for the exit with extra effort this time.

“I find it odd that seven years with a manic monkey has improved his condition,” Celestia said crossing her arms. “If anything, it’s made him look worse.”

Mr. Satyan descended the regal steps of his hosts’ dwelling, followed closely by a pair of escorts donning the solar insignia. At the castle entrance he shook the guards, following closely behind a pair of aristocratic nobles. He snorted in disgust after the colt made a jesting insinuation about his wealth, grimacing even further at the mare’s fake chuckle. Were he not so closed in, he probably would have stripped them both of their haughty nature.

“I see you scheming. Need I remind you that until you have the monkey, I cannot help you?” A hooded pony walked alongside Satyan, holding his hands behind his draping cloak.

“Every moment that I linger breeds more of distaste to my senses,” Satyan confessed quietly. “I was merely performing some recon. I do not plan to strike now.”

“I thought it odd to find you within Canterlot’s walls without the boy. Your visit truly was unexpected to say the least. Are you having second thoughts?”

“Never; I was taking a mental note of the security about Canterlot and the caliber of the guards. The Summer Sun festival will take place in Canterlot next year. I will use this winter to condition Raging Star further.” Satyan revealed.

“You’ve invested so much into the boy,” the Unicorn chuckled. “I’m still benefitting from your awful soul.”

“That’s only half too. I admit I’ve lost some of my aesthetical zeal, but these new powers make up for my lackluster personality.” Satyan’s fist conducted a surge of electrical energy as he finished his sentence.

“I’ll leave you be then. You’ve got enough of a suspicious aura about you. A wandering Pony will only draw more of it,” the mage said. He branched off from the Minotaur and vanished into the large crowd. Seeking a secluded area of the city, Satyan lifted into the air and took off towards home.


3 Days Earlier


“This is… incredible,” Mighty Frey gawked. Satyan snorted, proudly crossing his arms in response to Frey’s bewilderment.

“I must admit. I wasn’t expecting the runt to travel this way.” Satyan’s laughter filled the air, cutting through the shock and complete terror currently saturating the area. A multitude of derelict Minotaur stood shaking in their hooves as they gaped at the ruined forest in front of them.

“You think this was Raging Star?” Mighty Frey asked Satyan after coming over his shock.

“I know it was. Who else can take on a spirit of the forest if not a crazy homicidal monkey? Besides,” Satyan said walking over to a fallen tree, “these trees were punched down. You can see the monkey’s fists in the bark.”

“He killed Terrano,” a nearby Minotaur peeped. The crowd filled with nervous chatter as Satyan and Frey observed the edge of the shriveled forest. Every tree was withered beyond comprehension. The massive river in the middle dried up, leaving a trail of smoothed mud and shiny stone in the center of a pile of sticks. Terrano’s skeleton laid strewn about, crudely stripped of meat in the more obvious areas of feast.

“He ate Terrano,” Satyan corrected. The chatter within the crowd intensified. The orange bull turned to his associate and drew them away from the multitudes. “I am leaving.”

“What?”

“Raging Star has killed a dragon. Not just any dragon, but Terrano the Earth Spirit,” Satyan said. “Many tribes in these countries still worship such a creature, and if news got out that Terrano was killed in Minotaur territory, I’m sure the ponies will hear about it.”

“So what if they do, will they automatically assume the boy did it?” Frey asked.

“I need to divert all attention away from the Land of Tauros until the boy can be trained in his ape form. I promised a civilized, well behaved Pony, and one without magical abilities that can kill dragons,” Satyan explained.

“What would you have me do then?”

“Keep the hunt going. He couldn’t have gotten far. Fan out in platoons of about three. Order the workers to attack on sight. It’ll provoke him enough to fight back.” Satyan mused over this idea for a little while. The decayed trees provided a cluttered vision beyond the forest. Past the woods was more deserted grassland, though Satyan could make out a few rocky hills in the distance.

“Will he not be killed? He may be powerful but he’s inexperienced. One wrong move and a worker could have the advantage.” Frey said suddenly.

“Make sure that doesn’t happen then.” Satyan was distant, as if indifferent in his responses.

“Okay,” Mighty Frey snorted staring in the same direction of his superior.

“The boy has made it out of Minotaur country,” Satyan said.

“Are you sure?”

“Our lands border that of Diamond Dogs. Satyan Square used to be a part of Diamond Dog territory, as was this patch of dead land. Beyond the grass lies rocky soil and gem-filled earth. He’ll have a Tartarus of a time there,” Satyan said grinning.

“We’ll be breaking international laws taking a hunting party through Sapphira,” Frey contemplated.

“No we won’t,” Satyan responded. “I’ll just have to visit Canine on my way to Canterlot. Caninenites are rather understanding, more so than those who dwell in Sapphira. I’ll speak to their King and we’ll have free roam as long as we don’t make too much trouble.”

“Being the master over a gem factory has its perks I suppose,” Frey said snorting. “With all your connections, it’s a wonder why you aren’t some sort of diplomat for Tauros.”

“Politics and money… I’ll make sure I have enough time for both after Equestria is mine. I’ll even put you in power Mighty Frey. You’ve been so helpful.” Satyan jabbed the young Minotaur playfully in the side and returned to his party.

“Just a means to an end,” Mighty Frey snorted, following Satyan.

Author's Note:

Next time on Raging Star!

"Who are you?" Raging Star peered into the darkness through the rusty bars of the underground prison.

"The name's Lulamoon. Voilolà Lulamoon," the beautiful Unicorn answered.

*****

"I was seperated from my family. My daughter and husband have probably moved on, but I keep believing I'll see them again," Voilolà shared. Raging Star sat quietly, staring at the pale moon through the poor excuse of a window the cave had.

*****

"You'll help me escape right?" Voilolà pleaded.

"As long as you show me how to use magic like you promised," Raging Star declared.

*****

"Get them!" shouted an incensed Roxie. The Diamond Dog leader howled into the dark crevises of the cave, summoning more of her litter.

*****

"Do it Raging Star, exactly as I showed you!" Voilolà shouted between Roxie's paws.

"Ursara Minor!!!!" Raging Star cried out holding his hands out in an offensive stance...