• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 1,869 Views, 85 Comments

Raging Star - Kaf_Kraked_Poni



A very violent and strange creature arrives in Equestria, wreaking havoc amongst its civilians. After quelling the chaos, Celestia orders this bipedal primate to be forever banished, but who would house such a blood-thirsty creature?

  • ...
15
 85
 1,869

S1: Ep. 7 - Bear With It

Mighty Frey stood in opposition of the panting litter. He and the remaining Minotaur remained silent, staring down the army that was about to pounce on them. A solitary figure began pushing his way through the crowd. He shoved away from the army and marched over to the small party in front of him.

“Why are Minotaur in Shapphira?” Bo asked to Mighty Frey.

“Stupid bulls want Roxie’s monkey,” another dog answered. Bo sniffed Frey, subsequently sneezing in his face.

“How do you know about monkey boy?” Bo asked, keeping his paw on the hilt of his new blade.

“Raging Star is ours,” Frey answered. “He escaped from our farm and we’re trying to get him back.”

“You are too late,” Bo snickered. “Monkey Star is in Roxie’s Den. No one goes in Roxie’s Den. Minotaur must leave before Bo has to kill him!” Bo withdrew his new bastard blade and pointed it at Mighty’s snout.

“We’re not leaving without Raging Star,” Mighty said, shoving Bo’s sword away. Bo barked and swung at Mighty. The Minotaur grabbed his attacker’s arm and twisted it over, snapping a few bones in the process. The mutt’s blade fell, and Mighty shattered it as he shifted his hooves into proper stance. He lifted his leg and bucked the dog into the raving crowd.

Bo crashed into the forward line. Every one of them howled at the bulls. “Kill them!” Bo screamed.


“That’s odd,” Viololá started, perking her ear up. Raging Star sat on the floor, panting heavily and rubbing his left hand.

“What? Why did we stop?” he asked.

“It’s past midday, I know this,” the Unicorn said. She rose to her feet and hurried over to the prison door.

“Viololá, let me practice more!” Raging Star called. She shushed him and peered through the bars of the door. Raging Star quieted as well, listening for whatever it was she was trying to hear. “I don’t get it, what you doing?”

“A guard should have arrived by now,” she stated. “You were supposed to begin working today under my watch, but neither of us has been taken into the mines.”

“So they’re slow today, who cares? We’re trying to escape so that will make the job easier.” Raging Star got up and stretched his arms. He urged Viololá over once more, but she refused.

“We’re done for the day. If you exhaust your magic you won’t be able to work.”

“I don’t want to work… Get that stupid antidote and then we can leave.”

“Just cool it boss,” Viololá hissed. “Something is up. No one is here.”

A loud metallic grinding echoed from the other side of the cell block. Two dogs entered, leading Roxie down the hall and towards their section.

“Where is the boy?” she barked. Viololá pointed in the corner towards the other cell. Raging Star glared at Roxie, clenching his fists and biting his teeth. “Come to Roxie,” she said. He remained still. “Come here,” she growled.

Raging Star’s body began to burn again. He fell on the floor and dug his hands into the dirt. He crawled over to the front of the cell where the burning immediately ceased. His eyes darted upward, assaulting Roxie with a critical glare. She simply grinned wagging her paw in his direction.

“What do you want meanie?” he asked.

“Someone is looking for you,” she said. “Minotaur want to take you away, but Roxie doesn’t want that. Roxie also knows you don’t want that.”

“Mr. Satyan is here?” The boy’s eyes widened. She knelt down to his level.

“Do Roxie a favor boy,” she said. “Kill the Minotaur, and Roxie won’t give you back to them.”

“I can kill them all,” he replied. “But why would I do it for you? I would just kill you too.” Viololá urged the boy to stay quiet, but he did not listen.

“Roxie will try again.” The poodle cleared her throat. “You will kill Minotaur and you will not kill Roxie.” Raging Star punched the floor, cursing under his breath. Roxie looked towards the ceiling of the den, a smirk lining the side of her face.


“The Minotaur are stronger than us!” a diamond dog yelped. Bo growled at the five brutes in the middle, tearing into his forces like a granite hog.

“Do not let them reach the den,” he barked. He clutched his arm, kneeling on the ground, totally useless in this situation. Suddenly, a paw emerged from the ground, white and unblemished. His trepidation melted away.

“Roxie is here,” he chuckled. The poodle burst through the earth, raising her muzzle into the air and howling throughout the gorge. The battle before her ceased immediately. The bulls in the middle of the gorge flinched at the tiny figure in front of her.

“Raging Star,” Mighty Frey gasped.

“There you go, kill the bulls for Roxie,” the poodle ordered. The boy looked at the five Minotaur in front of him. His face wrinkled and he growled.

“Not one of them is Satyan!” he shouted. Roxie growled back.

“I don’t care, kill them!”

“You said Mr. Satyan was here!” Raging Star protested. He caught wind of Mighty Frey then and clenched his teeth harder together.

“Never has Roxie met such an unruly child,” she muttered. Mighty Frey laughed.

“You must not have gotten to know him. He’s got the biggest mouth and poorest attitude ever.”

“Shut up!” The boy clenched his fists together and bent his knees. The four workers behind Mighty shuffled back, but the young bull remained stalwart.

“At least take a real fighting stance,” he snorted, preparing himself. “Why are you taking orders from Diamond Dogs? I thought you didn’t like what to be told.”

“I said shut up!” Raging Star yelled back. “I don’t care if Satyan isn’t here anymore… You’ll do just fine. I have to repay you for grabbing my tail from before.”

“If you can even touch me,” the bull replied.

“We can help the monkey,” Bo whispered to Roxie.

“No,” she ordered. “I told him to do it. If he doesn’t, monkey will explode, and we don’t want that.”

“Still taking orders. I figured several days in the wilderness would have toughened you up,” Mighty said. “I can understand the incompetence though; all you managed to do was beat up an old lizard.” Raging Star did not reply. Good, Mighty thought. All I have to do is wait for him to make a mistake and then it’ll be over. The problem won’t be winning, the problem will be getting out of here with his body…

“Mighty, what do we do?” one of the Minotaur asked. The young bull remained silent.

“Our best bet is to rile him up,” he said after a while.

“Are you mad? You know how he acts when he gets upset!”

“That’s what I’m counting on,” Mighty replied. “You should try to keep these dogs off of me when I do get him.”

“Why aren’t they interfering?” a worker wondered. Mighty surveyed the faces of the dogs. They were studying him and the boy carefully.

“They must not want to be caught in the crossfire,” he concluded.

“Hurry up and move you stupid cow!” Raging Star screamed. Mighty put his gaze back on the boy. He had matured in combat. Unlike before, he wasn’t recklessly charging in. Mighty would have to make the first strike this time.

He took off, charging for the boy. Raging Star did the same, running at the bull with equal ferocity. Both met in the center, clutching each other’s hands in a test of strength. Mighty towered over the small boy, but the tailed child did not let up. Raging Star pushed back, forcing Mighty’s hooves to dig into the ground.

“You… little…” The bull retreated, causing Raging Star to stumble forward.

He lunged in again and kicked the boy in the gut. Raging Star stumbled back, clutching his abdomen. Mighty followed up with swift roundhouse, but Raging Star blocked the attack. The boy performed a roundhouse kick of his own, however Mighty Frey brought his arm up in defense. Raging Star remained in the air, just long enough for the bull to ram into the boy’s body. He flew back, rolling on the ground from the charge.

“Oww…” Raging Star groaned, rubbing his chest.

“Get up boy,” Roxie barked. “Show this cow how much Roxie has bettered you.”

“Shut… up,” he replied, wiping something off of his face. Mighty Frey stood strong in pose, awaiting another attack. Raging Star moved in, jumping off of the floor at the last second. He swung his right leg at Mighty’s head, but the bull blocked. Mighty grabbed the boy’s leg with his other hand and hurled Raging Star onto the floor. He repeated the slam four times and tossed him towards a wall.

“I just might win this,” Mighty snorted.

Raging Star quickly rebounded in the air. Using the wall as a springboard, he launched off and cocked his fist back. Mighty could not move fast enough as the boy sped straight at him, smashing into the bull’s jaw with his punch. Mighty stumbled and Raging Star landed opposite of him. He then attacked the bull’s back, throwing a few punches into his spine and finally repelling him away with a jump-kick.

“I’m not finished yet,” the tailed boy announced as Mighty spun around. Raging Star had already closed the distance between the two and began throwing manic punches everywhere. Mighty Frey ducked, dodged, and blocked against the storm.

“You’re still too green!” he shouted, breaking through an assault and interrupting the boy’s combo. Mighty’s fist smashed into Raging Star’s face. He brought his right leg up and high-kicked the boy into the sky. Mighty then jumped into the air and finished his attack with a devastating roundhouse, rocketing the boy into a blanket of bedrock and stone within the side of the gorge.

“Damn it,” Raging Star moaned, falling out of the hole in the wall. He rose up slowly, and clutched his left shoulder.

“We might be evenly matched in strength,” Mighty began, “but when it comes to technique, I have you beat. Without proper form, all of that power is wasted.”

“I don’t need stupid martial arts to beat you!” Raging Star yelled, forming a fist with his uninjured hand. The wind began to pick up.

“No, get back!” the young bull ordered to his men. The other Minotaur retreated, taking to higher ground. He turned back to Raging Star who had begun to mass a visible shield of energy around him. His hair began to float and the air pressure in the gorge increased.

“Leave them,” Roxie ordered just as Bo began to follow. “Monkey is doing something strange… what is it?”

“You stupid bull,” Raging Star growled. “we’re not equal at all… I outrank you, because I have magic!” Mighty flinched. “I wanted to save this move for Mr. Satyan, but maybe you can tell him what he has to look forward to now!”

Raging Star cocked his arm back and the energy began pooling in his open palm. A light blue ball of aura formed in the space, decorated with blinding stars. He closed his hand, forming a fist with the energy and was on top of Mighty faster than the bull could blink.

“Magic?!” It was all he had time to say. Raging Star slammed his fist into Mighty’s torso.

“Ursa Minor!!!” Beams of light poured from the point of contact. A single flash enveloped the whole area and Mighty Frey was pushed away by a powerful wave of energy. The deafening roar of the attack shook the entire gorge, and the newly formed bear-shaped fissure in the wall opposite of Raging Star began to collapse in on itself.

“The… the monkey can do… magic?!” Roxie gasped. Her entire litter exclaimed at the sight.

“Some guards said he could,” Bo informed the poodle then. She whipped around and smacked him.

“Why did you not tell Roxie?!”

“He stopped! I said don’t tell in case it was just accident and Roxie thinks I’m a liar!”

“Bo is stupid then,” Roxie growled. She hurried over to Raging Star and withdrew her rapier. “Monkey,” she said, “enough fighting. Roxie orders you to come back to den, forget killing Minotaur.”

“No, I have to kill him, him and all of them,” Raging Star said, glaring at the other bodies above the gorge.

“No, we will order retreat,” Roxie barked. “Roxie wants to know more about your magic, and maybe she can teach you how to fight for real,” she finished, smiling at the last thought. Raging Star roared into the pile of rubble and then walked away, Roxie following closely after. She ordered the litter to scatter, and they vanished into the earth.

“Mighty Frey is in there,” one of the Minotaur said from above, surveying the rubble.

“What will Satyan say?”

“What will he do if Mighty is not the one to take the blame is a better question,” another answered. “Let’s see if he’s still alive.” The four bulls descended again. They started pulling off mounds of rock and dirt, searching for some sign of the young bull. Suddenly, a spot of earth exploded and a bloody hand reached out from under the debris.

“He’s there,” one of the workers exclaimed. They pulled the bull out of the wreckage, slowly backing away in horror.

“Where did they go?” Mighty groaned.

“They retreated, something we have to do now,” a worker said. Mighty wiped his face, blood streaming down his head and mouth. His coat was burned where Raging Star had hit and his entire body ached.

“He did get stronger… I hope Satyan is happy,” Mighty coughed, spitting up blood.

“Why would he be happy?”

“Nevermind,” the young bull rebuked. “Let’s go.”


“How did you come to learn magic?” Roxie asked, slouching in her throne. Raging Star knelt at the bottom of the steps, though it really wasn’t his choice as to how he was positioned at the moment.

“I told you, I found out by accident,” he responded, face stuck to the floor.

“Roxie does not believe that,” she sang. “Roxie thinks Viololá had something to do with it.” The Unicorn darted her eyes to the boy on the floor.

“Roxie is not going to punish you though,” she said. “Instead, Roxie will use your magic.”

“With all due respect, Roxie,” Viololá interrupted, “Raging Star can use magic, but he does not know how to control it. One mess up and he could destroy the entire mine.”

“Why were you teaching him magic?” she asked of her slave. The pony hesitated.

“I kept bugging her about the light,” Raging Star answered. “She kept making a stupid light and I wanted to know how.”

“And Roxie is supposed to believe that you can do magic attacks from so little knowledge?”

“Like I said,” Viololá entered, “he is dangerous right now until his magic can be controlled properly.” Roxie eyed the two slaves, rubbing under her chin. Raging Star tried to glance upward, but a searing pain in his gut stopped him.

“Can you teach him to obey Roxie, like you?”

“I can, and I will.” For a while, the poodle sat in silence and studied the two forms below her. She chuckled a little and ordered the boy to rise.

“Roxie will let you learn magic from her pony, but you must not use it to hurt her, okay?” The tone in her voice boiled all of Raging Star’s nerves. He nodded slightly and she smiled. “Now, Roxie knows Minotaur will try to attack again, but with more force. So Viololá will train you until you become strong enough to beat all of them.”

“And then what?” Raging Star growled.

“And then you live the rest of your life here until you die,” she cackled.



“He’s learned magic now?” Satyan bit a piece of fruit and chewed slowly. “I’ve been gone for about a week and you let things get this out of hand too. Twenty-five deserters and you get yourself beat up.” He tossed the item away and forcefully wiped his mouth.

“I apologize, but many of the Minotaur have no more motivation to chase after the brat,” Mighty said. He sat opposite of the orange bull, arms crossed and heavily bandaged. The tent fluttered from the wind outside, and a cold breeze grazed the young bull as the entrance flap flowed open some.

“I told you to think of something.”

“What am I going to tell them? How can I get them to stay without revealing your plan?” Satyan mused over the thought. He rose from his seat and stepped outside, Mighty following close behind.

“It’s a cool night, Mighty Frey,” he said.

“Y-yes sir, but what-”

“It was a night like tonight when he first appeared.” Both of them stood over a rock perch, gazing down at the small camp below. A good number of workers remained, but less than what they had begun with. “It’s a full moon.”

“A full moon… I haven’t seen one in a very long time,” Mighty commented. “There’s no way to tell with all this cloud cover either.”

“You're right,” Satyan said. “I’ve kept track of the nights. Sometimes the sky is blanketed with heavy cloud cover. Would you like to know why?” The other bull looked at his master in response.

"Equestrian Pegasi, Mighty Frey. They cloud our skies on a would-be full moon night."

“Pegasi handle the weather in Equestria though, not all over the world.” Satyan chuckled at the young bull's observation.

"You're correct," he replied. "But it was a condition given unto me by the princesses the night I received the boy. I was to act as if the full moon were still intact, but to be completely honest, a full moon hasn't risen in over seven years."

"That's... impossible. The Equines are responsible for the celestial bodies, so why would they do that?"

"Assurance, Young Frey," the orange bull answered.

“Why would that be significant? It’s just a moon.”

“That’s just it,” Satyan said with a grin. “The moon is the most significant thing to my plan.” Mighty looked at the orange bull with disconcerting eyes. “That is how we unlock the beast,” Satyan revealed.

“What?” Mighty exhaled the words more so than uttered them. Satyan laughed at the young bull’s petrified countenance.

“I will inform the other Minotaur of our plan.”

“What?”

“Is that all you can say boy?” Satyan snorted. “If they’re lacking faith, I’ll promise them liberation. A land full of gems and what not. If they help me, they will be set free, without any criminal charges whatsoever.”

“And you don’t actually intend on doing that do you?”

“They’ll all either die in the wilderness, or under Raging Star’s feet.” Satyan inhaled deeply and exhaled the crisp night air.

Mighty could not help but feel uncomfortable around him, especially after the enchantment that cloaked Unicorn had performed. Now both his master and Raging Star possesed magic, and that would leave him nowhere in their league. He hated it. He was being used by Satyan to condition a brat to rule over the world, and every instance he put his life at risk, there was no guarantee that Satyan would provide coverage.

“He is almost ready,” Satyan whispered to himself, though audibly enough for Mighty to catch. “I will take back what is rightfully mine.”

Author's Note:

Okay, I'm stalling now... seriously, three chapters in Sapphira? This is turning out like an actual DBZ production. Next chapter will be a change of scenery, I promise. For now, enjoy~

EDIT: This chapter has been updated for continuity problems.