• Published 27th Jul 2013
  • 663 Views, 10 Comments

Soren The Alicorn Part 2: The Effects Of War - KingNyroc15



When a good colt goes to war. Night will fall and drown the sun, When a good colt goes to war. Friendship dies and true love lies, Night will fall and the dark will rise, When a good colt goes to war.

  • ...
30
 10
 663

The Mailmare

Rainbow and Soren found themselves going to a lake on the edge of town. At the lake, the two friends simply laid down and talked to each other. Soren made sure that, even after all the chaos and the way he treated her, that Rainbow was alright.

"Don't worry about it, Soren," she assured." I know I stepped out of line killing Nyra...but I panicked. I didn't want to lose any of my friends, and I did whatever was necessary." Soren nodded slowly in understanding.

He didn't know when it happened, but soon Soren's mind started to blank out. At this point, luckily, Dash wasn't saying much, but Soren still couldn't make heads or tails of what she was saying. Eventually, Rainbow noticed Soren wasn't all there, so she started to shake him. He then passed out. It wasn't a dangerous form of passing out; it was more like falling asleep randomly. Soren reopened his eyes to see Rainbow's face. She was sitting in front of him, shaking him.

"I'm fine...kind of," Soren said groggily.

"What happened?" Dash asked.

"I saw a mare named Ditzy. Why I saw a random mare I have no idea."

"Ditzy? She's a mailmare. Should we talk to Twilight about this?"

"I promised that I would hang out with you today, so I'm going to keep that promise." Soren shrugged off the image of Ditzy and asked Rainbow Dash where they should hang out next. She asked Soren if he wanted to go to Sugarcube Corner to get something to eat. That sounded good to Soren, so he challenged her to a race. Dash smirked, and the pair of flyers immediately rocketed into their race.

The place was fairly quiet when they arrived. The only pony there was Mrs. Cake; she told the two that Pinkie Pie was out and about, doing whatever it is Pinkie does on her days off. Soren and RD grabbed some food, sat down at a table, and started talking once again. Soren decided to explain his lucid dream to her, and she followed along fairly well.

"Do you think the discorded Doctor has any connections with Ditzy?" Dash asked after the dream was explained. "You're not the kind of pony to have normal dreams, Soren."

"Unless the Doctor knew Ditzy, I don't think-" Soren paused abruptly. "Wait..."

"What?"

"Do you think it's possible that the Doctor had another pony companion before Twilight?"

"Wow." It was now Soren's turn to say 'What.' "It's nothing really. I just find it funny how there aren't many smart, interesting ponies in Ponyville besides our group of friends."

"It's not like I try to be this way. It just sort of...happens."

"It's not a bad thing. Relax. Let's just finish our food."

Once their food was finished, the two of them talked about what to do next. Seeing as though nothing else would entertain them right now, Soren and Rainbow Dash decided to finally go and talk to Ditzy. They left Sugarcube Corner and flew straight for the post office. When they arrived at the surprisingly spacious building, Soren and Rainbow saw only a single mare working inside. A little bell chimed the arrival of the two friends, and the mare at the counter looked up and smiled at them.

"Welcome to the Ponyville Postal Service! My name is Pendant. How can I help you two today?" The cheerful mare known as Pendant was about the age of Rainbow Dash. Her coat was khaki colored, her long mane was seemingly the color of gold, and her cutie mark was a gold pendant attached to a chain of the same material.

"Is Ditzy working today?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"She is, but she's still delivering mail. Ditzy should be back soon, if you two are willing to wait." Soren and Rainbow didn't mind waiting since this was their only activity to do as of now.

The two figured that since Ditzy was supposed to show up soon, they may as well get to know Pendant a little better. After talking to the golden-maned mare for a few minutes, they learned that her job is to organize anything around the post office, which in itself is apparently a massive job. They were about to ask her why she had a pendant for a cutie mark, but the little bell of the post office sounded. The three ponies turned towards the front door to see Ditzy Doo flying in from the entrance.

"Pendant, I need a new batch of mail..." Ditzy trailed off as she saw who was in the post office. The grey pegasus squealed and flew at Rainbow Dash. "Hi, Rainbow Dash! I haven't seen you in awhile," the silly mare exclaimed as she hugged her friend. Rainbow Dash asked Ditzy to let her go, so the mailmare did. Rainbow then introduced her to Soren.

"Soren, this is Ditzy Doo, also known as Derpy. Derpy, this is Soren. He's my cool new friend." Soren blushed from the slight praise, but it soon faded as Derpy crushed him with a strong hug.

"Nice to meet you!"

"Do you...do this...to all the...new ponies...you meet?" Soren strained.

"Uh-huh. So, Rainbow Dash, I take it you introduced Soren to my friend, Pendant."

"Yeah, both of us got to know her, but that's not why we're here," Rainbow said. "We need to ask you something."

"What is it?"

"Do you know the Doctor?" Derpy's eyes widened.

"U-u-umm...I...I...I..." Derpy immediately flew straight out of the building, leaving her saddlebags to fall to the floor. The remaining three ponies in the room raised an eyebrow at each other. This was getting interesting.

"So the Doctor did have a previous companion," Soren said.

"You two stay here. I'll go catch Derpy and bring her back," Rainbow offered. As Dash flew through the front doors, Soren turned towards Pendant.

"You don't know who the Doctor is, do you?" Soren asked. She shook her head. "Alright. I'll explain who he is, but you better have an open mind."

-------------

Derpy eventually came back, albeit she was practically dragged inside by Rainbow Dash. The pegasi mares showed up right as Soren finished explaining the Doctor to Pendant. Soren looked at Derpy, who looked like she [ireally didn't want to be here. Soren began calmly explaining everything to Ditzy, including his two dreams.

"Since I don't have normal dreams, I was wondering if you are connected with the Doctor somehow," Soren explained. "I just want to know if you have traveled with the Doctor before." Derpy opened her mouth to answer, but Soren didn't hear words. All he heard was noise; a high pitch noise to be accurate. Soren tilted his head in confusion. "Rainbow, did you hear that as well?" Soren looked at the rainbow pegasus to see that she was just staring at him, as was Pendant.

Eventually, everything became very strange for him. The three mares stood next to each other and began to lose their colors. The colors drained to the floor, which was also having its colors dissipate. 'What the hay is going on here?!' Soren thought as the world around him became different shades of black, white, and grey. He looked at his cutie mark to see that it still had color. Everything but him became monochromatic.

"Do like it?" a voice asked Soren from somewhere in the room. "I made this myself." Soren turned towards the front desk to see the discorded Doctor relaxing on it. The conscience of the Time Lord jumped to the floor and slowly made his way over to Soren.

"But if you're here, then I'm-"

"Dreaming, yes. Good thing you aren't slow to pick up on things."

"When did I-"

"Pass out? Right after you asked Ditzy Do if she used to be a companion to the Doctor. I figured that was a good time for us to get reacquainted, and this is the only way for me to speak with you."

"So you can make me pass out? How? You're just a conscience."

"Oh, I'm much more than that, but that isn't important right now. I also can't make you pass out whenever I feel like it. A pony's conscience can only handle so much. I will only have a chance to talk to you when you are relaxed enough."

"This is madness! A conscience can make other ponies pass out?!" Soren pinched between his eyes and groaned. "Look, I just want to know how to fix the Doctor's conscience. Can't you tell me how to do that?" The Doctor was quiet for awhile.

"You will need to watch his past in order to understand how to help him." All of this had Soren asking too many questions with not enough answers. The main questions being: How can he possibly make Soren pass out on command? Soren shrugged it off and asked another question.

"I don't want to pass out at awkward times like you just made me do. Is there any way for you to check if I am at a good location to fall asleep at?" He nodded.

"I know where all of my closest friends are as long as they are in the same universe. If you want, I suppose I will only make you fall asleep if you are in a good location. I told you as much as I could for now. Follow my advice and wake up."

"I'm not done asking question!" But it was too late. Soren felt himself regaining consciousness.

--------------

Soren woke up to the sight of wooden shelves and countless books. 'How many times have I ended up here?' Soren thought as he groaned and sat upright. He looked around and noticed Ditzy, Pendant, Twilight, and Rainbow all staring at him. Soren slowly got to his hooves and assured them that he was fine.

"We already know that," Rainbow said. Twilight walked up to Soren.

"Did you see the Doctor again?" she asked him. Before Soren could answer, Derpy started to stammer.

"I-Is he r-really back?" she asked nervously. Pendant calmed her down while Soren spoke to her.

"If you're worried that he's still discorded, don't be. Only his conscience is, apparently. The Doctor is his regular self as of now." Soren paused. "I just realized something. Where is the Doctor, anyway?" No pony in the room could answer that question, so Soren moved on to the topic of what he just finished dreaming about.

As he was finishing up his explanation, Soren started to hear a loud, high pitch noise in his head. "W-Why do I know things all of a sudden?" Soren gasped, grabbing his head. "I see the Doctor...and Ditzy...in the TARDIS. He already looks discorded. Wait...he's yelling at her..."

"Soren, don't!" Derpy shouted. "That's when the Doctor-"

"Let him," Twilight interrupted. "I think he needs to see this."

"The Doctor hit her...he actually hit Derpy. I...I can't see anymore. The memory ended when they left each other."

"That's the darkest part of his life," Derpy explained. "That's when everything changed for him."

"Derpy, I need you to explain the relationship you had with the Doctor in the past."

"I was his first companion when he arrived in this world. We went on many, many adventures together...but it was during one adventure that everything changed. We were traveling in the Caverns of Truth underneath the Everfree Forest, searching for Discord. This wasn't the Discord you all knew, this was when he was at his strongest, before the princesses stopped him. In the caves, we got separated, but eventually we found each other, except...the Doctor seemed different. He told me that we were leaving, but I protested, saying that we needed to stop Discord. The Doctor then did two things that he has never done before: He shouted at me to get in the TARDIS and he hit me."

Derpy started crying at this point, yet Soren still had to ask for a little more info. Derpy had to force herself to explain the rest.

"We got in the TARDIS, and I told the Doctor that I wanted to go home. He agreed, so he dropped me off in Ponyville. I hugged him goodbye, but he shoved me away and said that he didn't need me."

"Ok, that's enough, Derpy," Soren interrupted. "I'm sorry for making you remember all of that." He walked up to Ditzy and put a hoof on her shoulder. "I promise you: I will fix the Doctor's conscience. I will do everything in my power to help him." Looking up at Soren, Derpy smiled.

"You sound just like the Doctor," she commented, tears still flowing down her face. "You also have caring eyes and a confident voice...just like him." Soren had a strange idea, but he figured it would help Derpy feel better. He leaned in close to her and whispered a question.

"Would it make you feel better if you imagined that I was the Doctor and hugged me?"

"W-w-what?! B-but we barely know each other."

"This is to help you feel better, Derpy. You don't have to if you don't want to." The crying mare stood there, thinking. She finally closed her eyes and hugged Soren. At first, everyone else in the room was surprised, but they knew why he let her do that. Soren reminded her of the Doctor.

"Would you like to meet the Doctor?" Soren asked her as the hug ended. Derpy was very hesitant at first, but she eventually said yes. "Twilight, is there any way we can bring the Doctor here?"

"I know the perfect way," Twilight answered. "Follow me." The unicorn began running to her room upstairs. Everyone else gave each other a glance before following the mare up the staircase.

Author's Note:

I don't know how long it's been since I uploaded some chapters but here ya go. I've been procrastinating a lot lately. Maybe it has to do with me being lazy, maybe it has to do with the fact that this isn't a high priority for me, or maybe it's due to the fact that I recently got Fallout 3 and have yet to put it down. Let's go with the latter, shall we? What else is there to say? Blah blah blah the story gets more interesting blah blah haters gonna hate blah blah allons-y!