• Published 28th Jul 2013
  • 1,048 Views, 33 Comments

The Woes of Scorpan - articunos bitch



A forgotten city is unearthed and has many stories to tell. What will Princess Twilight and Lyra discover?

  • ...
15
 33
 1,048

Past 1-Final Exam

The egg was from Diablo, the Red Dragon Father. It was the most prized plunder from one of his enemies cave's and now it rested before the young wizard Scorpan. It was colored purple and green and could lay dormant for a century without affecting the baby’s growth after it hatched. Heat from a fire could awaken it and that was the task, but there was one rule: no fire. Hatching a dragon’s egg without a fire is no small task, but his teachers thought it would present a good challenge for Scorpan. So here he sat starring at the egg nervously waiting for his instructor Professor Freeze to let him start.

“You have thirty minutes. Begin.”

Heat, but no fire. Got it. Scorpan thought to himself.

He started thinking of ways he could start. He could put it under pressure. But that could crush the egg before he got the pressure and temperatures he needed and harm the baby, so no. Nuclear reactions also entered his mind and were discarded just as fast. It would be impractical at best; he could not compact fissile materials inside the egg in time, nor was he skilled enough to contain what fallout might leak. And again, he wanted to heat it up, not cook the egg. He could still use electricity.

Reaching into his sack Scorpan withdrew a spool of copper wire, a hand operated dynamo and one of his own inventions. Wrapping the thin wire many times around the large egg he attached an end to the positive and negative side of his Current Multiplier and attached that to his dynamo.

Gripping the handle Scorpan started cranking and watched in anticipation. His Multiplier may not work for long distances but it was perfect here, it’s magic would give him up to twenty times the voltage he could do by hand power alone. In minutes the egg started to glow shades of purple and green, he cast a Perpetual Motion spell on his crank to avoid fatiguing and distracting himself. The door opened behind him and he heard footsteps coming into the room and at least three chairs being moved around.

Continuing the egg glowed brighter and cracks along the wire’s path formed when he snapped his fingers. Casting a vacuum charm he expelled most air from around the egg, giving the energy in his wire no place to go but the egg shell.
Cracks in the shell started growing between the wires too, a dominant one grew diagonally across the width of the egg.

Scorpan looked at the hourglass; he still had time but it there may be another way to speed this up. He lifted the egg off the table where it lay and kept his vacuum charm around it, now the heat had absolutely no place to go but to hatch the dragon.

The egg now glowed as a light bulb; pieces of shell began to fall off the levitated egg, revealing a membrane just under the surface. Casting another spell on his dynamo Scorpan knew his task would be over soon, but his instructor’s face was just as stoic as ever. Reaching into his pack he pulled out a pair of dragon hide gloves and filled a pail. If the baby dragon turned on him they would protect him from bites, if baby realized he wasn't the mother, he could douse himself with water.

More of the membrane was revealed and Scorpan thought he could make out a purple blur beneath the cloudy sack.

“You have five minutes left.” His instructor called out behind him. He was close-

“Uh-oh.”

The membrane was smoking. Being so hot for so long Scorpan figured it would be inflammable, but perhaps there was a tear and air flowing into the sack, burning it from the inside out. As he studied it more smoky trails appeared and the remaining pieces of shell fell off the membrane.

The remnants of the egg sagged downwards and split, dropping fluids and a pale purple lump to the table. Scorpan tossed aside the still smoking membrane and leaped over to the lump which stirred. The newborn dragon rolled to look at him and coughed up the amniotic fluids it nearly swallowed.

It was a male dragon with green spines running down his back. His long tail swished lazily before he turned his head and unmistakably fell asleep. Being cold blooded it was no surprise; this was early spring after all.

The instructor came over clapping his hands. “Full marks! Congratulations Scorpan, you have passed your final exam. Your time here is over. I fully expect to see you return to this school one day for any number of reasons, such as out-shining all your classmates. You have a bright future ahead of you. Good job.”

“Professor Freeze, what will happen to the dragon?” Scorpan looked to the slumbering reptile, it looked so pitiful…

“It will be euthanized of course.” Freeze said as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

“What? Why exactly?”

“Dragons are dangerous. Releasing it into the wild would kill it as easily as if it were a newborn child. It has no wings so its uses are already limited, and no dragon will raise a baby who’s not their own or an egg of their enemy that they hatched. We will put up notices for…him around town. If some-one wants a servant they can take him but few know how to raise dragon servants.”

“I…I see. Thank you Professor. Is that everything?”

“Indeed. You may go.”

Scorpan picked up his equipment into his pack and briskly walked out into the hall. Staring down each direction he turned left and strolled toward the library. In all my time here I have logged fewer than twenty four hours of reading for pleasure in the library. He could pick up The Beyond’s, a comic his room-mate had been bugging him about for a year.

Stepping out into the sunshine he took a deep breath. The grass was freshly mowed, the wind blew his rebellious shoulder length hair, and the few students not in class were relaxing in the shade of the oak, redwood and hickory trees dotting the campus. Continuing onto the library Scorpan’s mind didn't wander home where his parents would be expecting him next week. He didn't think about the redheaded Baugh, or her invitation so see the grifball game tomorrow night. His thoughts settled on the dragon he hatched.

It was sad how the egg was passed around. It had been given to Professor Rueben during one of his field expeditions. Prof Rueben found the home of Diablo, the self-proclaimed Red Dragon Father, but so did another dragon. He was just there to talk and challenge Diablo to a game of wits, but his magic helped beat back the invading dragon and Diablo was grateful. Normally dragons will kill another who comes onto their territory without consent, unless they bring a gift. Being so dangerous, dragons often grew lonely and were often delighted when a human presented them with offerings be it jewelry, works of art or something else of value. Some people tried bringing slaves, but the dragon would often eat the master and present the slave with an item of their horde. What dragons most approved of was conversation such as a game of riddles or philosophical debate.

Prof. Rueben for his actions was given an egg from one of Diablo’s enemies. He said it was the surest prove the eggs mother was as any mother would die before letting another near her children. Rueben then gave the egg to the school as he had no use for such a thing. And then it was given to Scorpan for a test. And now if no-one needs a dragon pet or whatever the baby’s going to be put down.

He felt bad for it. There wasn't much he could do though. At least if the dragon had wings he could be given to the state and trained for war.

Climbing the steps into the Library of Enlightenment, he looked for and found the comics he was told of. The Beyonds, issue Sixty-Seven. Taking a seat where he could be spotted easily he updated himself.

Previously: 1) Cassandra returned a week after her disappearance with Sirus. “He didn’t say a word all week. He just sat against that damn stone and…” Sirus can’t hide the secret of the Stone of LaFlail from her for long!

2) Ian and Brett travel to New Mexico to fight the Daughters of the Serpentine’s latest money laundering scheme. <tattattattat BOOM!> “Brett, the planes moving. Don’t let it take off. <Boom!> Brett!”

3) And Doctor Arnold has shocking news for Sirus. “The Sword or Nurada has been found. Your Ghost wields it. And it is every bit as powerful as your Spear of Lugh is in your hands. But most damning of all, he cut down Alicia”

“He had no reason to do so, unless he knows she has the Cauldron of Dugrad. Then he will come after the Stone next.”

“Cassandra already called me, your Ghost is coming for her tonight and she said she will be taken alive. She is in great danger, and unless we get Ian to her there is nothing we can do!

The first panel was a young woman lying on her bed staring at the ceiling. She could blend into a crowd, nothing particularly beautiful about her. Not even the purple and green shirt she wore…

That dragon deserved better than to be passed around like currency

She seemed to be troubled, apparently she knew she was going to be kidnapped that night and just sat in bed all day waiting for it to happen. Her super power wasn’t so super Scorpan figured; she saw what would happen but be powerless to stop it. Her twin brother Ian could change it, if only he were in New Hampshire instead of New Mexico…

If only I knew how to subdue a dragon. I could take him. Mother and father would understand, though they would not help. He thought somberly.

Cassandra also remembered Sirus questioning his Ghost who tonight would call himself Xex. Maybe she should have told Dr. Arnold that name. No…Forger WOULD know that name, or at least figure something out about it first.

There had to be a book about raising young dragons for servitude or something around here. Scorpan dropped the comic he couldn’t pay attention to and ruffled through the card catalogue. He heard something about the infamous Dracon taming a dragon from the wild and writing about his experience.

** ** **

Scorpan was half-right. Dracon tamed many dragons from the wild and wrote a simple How-To book on the subject. For being so successful in slaying them in his young life, he grew to be just as proficient in raising them, even spending several years learning from breeders in Avlee and Nighon. Much of his book was about an already hatched fairy dragon he discovered after slaying it’s mother. He named her Content.

Content, being a fairy dragon was mischievous in her nature, but with Dracon as such a powerful wizard she drove herself to be an absolute troll. He loved her like his own daughter, which was the first rule the book mentioned. Do not raise any dragon, excluding fairies, to be children. Per their name, Fairy dragons can cast magic outstripping most humans, never grow more than a meter tall and have the capacity to live seamlessly alongside human beings without violence. They will lash out if they feel provoked but are relaxed much of the time.

Unique among dragons they do not claim territory and have no specific breeding season and are far more relaxed when they don’t breed, as well as being able to masturbate to satisfy their own desires. Dragons develop sexual urges early in life and will act on them soon unless they are taught otherwise. They also do not horde as they prefer to find pleasure in surprising others, mostly rudely but pleasantly from time to time. As a baby dragons typically sleep six hours and then awaken for another six creating a twelve hour day. Departing from this habit often stunts their growth and surprisingly appetite.

While true omnivores, dragons prefer meat while young and vegetation when they reach maturity. Stones of all variety are craved when their diet is not satisfied properly; most common of all when they take in little meat. If your dragon is eating stones, immediately change their diet to include more protein and fat. Their scales are resistant to most disease and they will shed scales should they become infected. Only respertory illness affect dragons, and they develops early, if at all.
Armed with his knowledge of caring for a fairy dragon (which Scorpan deduced that the baby was) and a length he strutted to Professor Freezes office three days later and asked to see the infant.

Prof. Freeze was genuinely surprised to see the dragon react positively when he and Scorpan entered the broom closet where his cage was being kept. Scorpan knelt down in front of the reptile and held out his hand to be sniffed.

“Did you by any chance read ‘A Fool and his Dragon’ by Estes?” Professor Freeze asked

“Should I have?” Scorpan answered.

“It’s about a foolish young man who adopts a young dragon. Sound familiar? I’m sure Dracon told you a great deal, but the foolish young man was eaten by his pet.”

Scorpan turned around and stood to face his teacher. “Professor, Dracon also taught me how to keep my dragon young. And the fool tried to raise a son, something I am not going to be foolish enough to do. And I will feed him a strict diet of field rats, birds and fish. He will grow very slowly and his first lesson will be to serve sentient beings. I am not raising a son, but training a servant.”

“I thought you checked out Dracon’s book.” Professor Freeze was reminded of himself whenever he spoke with Scorpan. Eager to be the best, and eager to do the best, Scorpan would certainly help out a defenseless vulnerable soul such as the dragon. Professor Freeze looked for Dracon’s book yesterday and seeing it was out, waited in his office for the one student who would care about a baby dragon being euthanized. “You know this…child…isn't the same breed as Content?”

“I know sir. But I read other material about them. He is of the same genus and will act similar. More importantly he will have similar brain power and lack of muscles. And magic.”

“You have fulfilled the requirements, you may take the dragon. He’s your problem now.” With a flick of his finger the cage became unlocked and the door swung open. Scorpan reached wrapped his rope into a sailors’ knot he learned two springs ago and tied it around the baby’s neck. Guiding him out of the cage and broom closet Scorpan held tight as he sniffed around, no doubt smelling the hundreds of students who walk through the same hall every day. “What will you do now?”

“I’m going to take him to my dorm and pack up, talking the whole time. He should learn speech quickly enough.” Scorpan replied.

“Do you have a name in mind?” Professor Freeze asked.

“Not yet. I’ll come up with something. And I will make sure to see you before I leave for good. Good day Professor.” Scorpan started to his dormitory and guided his new dragon along.

Author's Note:

A'right, chapter two. What do you think so far?
Constructive criticism is welcome as always.