• Published 16th Aug 2013
  • 867 Views, 38 Comments

Gears of Romance - Phoenix999



A jaded stallion catches the attention of two mares when he moves to Ponyville. Brought together by their shared connection in drinking alcohol, it is both the glue that binds them and the knife that separates them.

  • ...
2
 38
 867

Chapter 3

Widget spent the morning unpacking the few personal items that he had, getting the mundane out of the way so that he could spend the remainder of his time up on his clock commissions. He had just finished one of his signature hanging wall clocks, the kind that chimed a special tune every twelve hours, when a ringing bell alerted him of a visitor. Stepping out to greet the visitor, Widget smiled as he recognized the mare who looked around his shop. “Good afternoon, Bon Bon.”

Bon Bon jumped and turned to face Widget’s cocky grin. “Oh, Widget! You came out of nowhere!”

Widget chuckled. “Sorry about that. I’ll be sure to come from ‘somewhere’ next time.”

Bon Bon giggled; her laugh was a pleasant sort of girlish glee that brought a smile to Widget’s face. “So what do I owe the honor to, Miss Bon Bon? Here for business? Or did you walk all this way just to see me?”

Bon Bon’s cheeks flushed red. “Actually I came here because you invited me.”

Widget blinked for a moment, staring at Bon Bon’s face. “I did?”

Bon Bon’s expression grew slightly confused. “Yes, don’t you remember? Last night at the bar you said to come by around lunch time.”

“I’m sorry, Bon Bon. You’ll have to forgive me, I don’t remember much from last night. The last thing I remember is drinking that concoction Berry made me, then everything went black.” Widget said as he looked into Bon Bon’s eyes and gave a warm apologetic smile. Bon Bon looked crestfallen, as if her hopes and dreams had been crushed in that very instance, almost to the point of tears. Widget hurriedly followed up with waiving his hooves frantically and said, “But that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to get to know you better! How about we go out to lunch? I haven’t eaten yet and I’m starving!”

Bon Bon perked up at that, giving Widget enough reason to release a sigh of relief. Crisis averted.

She smiled and said, “Sure, that sounds wonderful. Where are we going?”

“Um... would it be too much to ask for you to pick? I don’t exactly know what’s available here, I did only get here yesterday...”

Bon Bon giggled at that. “Oh it’s fine. Here, follow me. I know just the place to go.”

Bon Bon led him to a quaint diner called ‘Daffodil’s’. They both were led to an outside table by the waitress. The seats were made of hay bales, which were actually quite comfortable by Widget’s standards. Bon Bon perused the menu, Widget carefully examining his own. “Bon Bon, what do you suggest? I’m a bit torn between the daffodil sandwich and the pea soup.”

“Daffodil sandwich hooves down. I was actually gonna order that as well. They make the best daffodil sandwich in town. They didn’t call it ‘Daffodil’s’ for nothing,” she replied.

The waitress came back and took their orders. “So, I might have asked everything I’m about to ask last night... but where do you work?”

Bon Bon giggled. “Don’t worry about it. I’ve never seen anypony down a ‘Welcome to Ponyville’ special all at once like that. It doesn’t surprise me that you can’t remember most of what happened. And to answer your question, I actually own my own candy store a couple streets down from your shop.”

“Well, thank you for the understanding. I hope I didn’t do anything too embarrassing when I was blacked out...” He thought back to the explanation that Berry had given him, but found no indication of anything that would degrade his image in her story.

“Only if you count dancing with ponies to no music embarrassing,” she replied.

Widget’s hoof promptly met his face, causing a soft reverberation in his skull. “Ugh... I knew there had to be something.”

“Oh no, don’t worry. It was cute, and I quite enjoyed it when you dipped me. It was a lot of fun,” she replied, giving Widget a wink.

The waitress returned with their food, and interrupted the conversation before Widget could make a quick remark. He instead turned to his sandwich and bit into it, eager to try the dish that the diner was famous for. Widget swallowed a mouthful, his eyes widened at the burst of amazing flavor that assaulted his taste-buds. He wondered how the sandwich could have such a rich and full flavor. He tore through the sandwich voraciously, like a rabid animal, leaving only a few crumbs left on the plate. A single daffodil flower hanged vicariously from the corner of his lips.

Bon Bon took one look at him before bursting into laughter, while Widget wiped his mouth with a hoof. He gave her a sheepish smile. “I had no idea that I could get a sandwich this good without going to a five star restaurant. You really do have some good food out here in Ponyville, don’t you? I mean, even the apples I bought yesterday were better than the ones from Canterlot.”

Bon Bon regained control of herself once again, holding a hoof to her chest as it heaved with calming breaths. “You’re funny, you know that?”

Widget just shrugged and took a sip of his water. She continued. “Ponyville mostly uses the local farms for their food ingredients, so that might be what got you all excited, but I’ve still never seen anyone devour a sandwich like that. It was priceless!”

He couldn’t help but smile, for some reason when this mare giggled and smiled, she affected everypony nearby. Her feelings were infectious. “Yeah, that would make a lot of sense. We don’t usually get fresh ingredients in Canterlot. Most of the stuff we get has been through a lot of travel, and has been specially packaged to last the trip.”

Widget looked at his watch and noted that it had been about a half hour since he left his shop. “Bon Bon, how much time do you have?”

She tilted her head and raised one eyebrow. “Um... well, I shouldn’t stay out too long, but I don’t have any strict time schedules or anything. I am my own boss, you know.”

“Well, I was wondering if you could show me around Ponyville a bit before you head back to work. I have a few things back at the shop that I could be getting into, but I need to know where to get supplies, and where to go for when I need something.” And I’m actually enjoying your company. Wait, no! I left Canterlot to get away from all of that! I will not get caught in my old habits again!

Bon Bon’s ears swiveled forward as she straightened her head to meet Widget’s gaze. “Sure! It shouldn’t take too long at all. Ponyville is a pretty small town, but I’ll show you around and give you the VIP tour!”

As Bon Bon showed him around Ponyville, Widget’s mind kept nagging at him. I still have no idea what happened last night. I mean, Berry gave me a quick run-down and said I didn’t do anything too bad, but I still need to know. Widget sighed as he looked over to Bon Bon. “Hey Bon Bon, can I ask you a stupid question?”

Bon Bon raised an eyebrow in reply. “Sure, what’s up?”

“Well, I can’t remember anything from last night. And I was wondering if you could fill me in?”

“Oh.” Bon Bon looked away as her cheeks flushed lightly. “What would you like to know?”

“Um…” Widget hesitated. “Well, Berry said that I got really ‘sociable’ and I was wondering as to how much.”

“Well,” Bon Bon said as she used a hoof to scratch her muzzle. “You started getting really friendly all of a sudden. Not that you weren’t friendly before, but after you finished the drink you seemed really relaxed. And then we had a dance sometime through the night after a few more drinks.”

Widget groaned loudly, using a hoof to rub his fore-head. “Please tell me I didn’t try to do anything else.”

Bon Bon held a hoof to her mouth, attempting to suppress a giggle. “No, you were fine. You kept complimenting us both though. You would put on a stupid grin and wink at us when we just laughed at some of your silly behavior. It was really funny.”

“Good. Then I wasn’t a complete jerk to you guys then?” Widget asked.

“No. You were pretty nice the whole time, even when I started getting a bit tipsy too.” Bon Bon replied. Her brow furrowed though as she looked over at Widget. “Wait… you talked to Berry today?”

Widget blinked. Oh no, this can’t end well. How do I tell her without her getting the wrong idea? “Um, yeah. You see she just wanted to make sure I got home alright last night and ended up walking me home. I woke up this morning and found her on my couch.”

Berry’s gaze softened as her lips started to quiver. “Oh, I see… Did you.. did you two do anything?”

“Oh! No! I swear!” Widget exclaimed as he waived his hooves. You idiot! You made it worse! “She said all I did was give her a pillow and a blanket and then I left for my room. I was asleep before anything else could happen.”

“Hmm…” Bon Bon’s eyes narrowed as she studied him. Closing her eyes, she nodded silently to herself. “Yup. That sounds like Berry. I believe you.”

Good. Widget let out a breath. “So how about the rest of that tour?”

“Oh right! So here we are at Sugarcube Corner…”

They eventually made their way to a candy shop, not too far from Widget’s own shop. Bon Bon turned to Widget and shuffled nervously. “Well, this is the last stop: my candy shop. I had a lot of fun today.”

Widget smiled. “I had a lot of fun as well, Bon Bon. I’ll be sure to drop by sometime.”

Bon Bon’s shuffling ceased the instant he finished. “Great! Feel free to stop by anytime. I’ll see you soon!”

She turned and walked with a slight skip in her step into the candy store. Widget made his way into his own shop. Taking a few sips from his mug of cola and whiskey, he sat down at his workbench and sighed. This is going to get interesting really quickly.