• Published 24th Jun 2013
  • 961 Views, 36 Comments

Maybe if... - Fat1thatyoulove



Part 37 to the Maybe series Follow the main character thought his newest trails as he tries to better understand the power he possess. And how it affects the ones he loves.

  • ...
3
 36
 961

Chapter 4

Chapter 4 – Barnyard fun

The walk from the library has been silent and has left you feeling a little uneasy...of course you're uneasy feelings may have come from everypony staring at you when you walked through the town a little while ago.

Its clear to you that a pink stallion for some reason is a little weird...or maybe the ponies in the town recognized your change in coat, either way it has build to the slight weirdness you have walking next to the orange mare.

Your memories are pretty much solid by now and you only have a few memories of the orange mare, nothing memorable but at least its something. The dirt road you two trot on is bearer around it and the town has now drifted into the distance.

You finally break the silence of your fast pace trot as you talk, "So what's a zap apple again?"

Your guess is that Applejack must be feeling the same awkward silence as you do...or just really likes apples, but you listen to her slightly excited words as you follow her, "Zap apples are a special kind of apple tree that my granny helped plant."

Her words don't stop as she continues, "This will be the first year that we get to have zap apples for nightmare night."

You squint to her words as you talk, "What's that?"

"Oh that? It's basically a nighttime celebration for Princess Luna." Applejack smiles as her comment changes, "Oh but just wait til ya taste one, your taste buds will be howling for more."

You give a slight chuckle, not to her words but to her energetic southern accent.

Your walk starts to come to its end as you notice the large red barn and fields of plants coming closer to you. You move your gaze to the sign as you read it to yourself, Sweet apple acres...

"Alright, you need to go into the barn, Big Macintosh will get you all set up."

You nod your head to her not really paying attention to what she said as you look around the farm. To your right looks to be a few chicken houses, or at least the chickens coming in and out of the small wooden houses would make you think its a chicken house.

You move your head around a little more as you set your eyes to the large area of nothing but red, yellow and green apple trees that litter the hill back side of the farm.

But your gaze of them is cut of as a young southern voice brings your head back down in front of you.

"Applejack, Granny Smith wanted me to tell you we need to get going."

The orange mare nods her head as she talks, "Did Pinkie and Rainbow already get here?"

Applebloom shakes her head as she talks, "Well Pinkie is already helping Granny Smith, but Rainbow hasn't stopped by yet. Scootaloo said she would find her."

Applejack shakes her head as she talks, "Dagnabbit, I told that pony we needed her here." She turns her gaze to you as she points to the barn, "Go around back and Big Mac will get you ready, then follow him out to the farm."

You nod your head as the mare picks her speed up and leaves your side, your eyes drift back to the light yellow filly staring at you as you nods your head, "Hi Applebloom."

She squint to your face for a few moment before she smiles, "Hey!...Uh why you all pink? Did you try to run through poison joke too?"

You shake your head as you point your hoof to her, "Not this time, also don't do that."

Applebloom lets out a slight laugh as she trots away, "Follow me, we have to pick those zap apples before they disappear, maybe you'll even get your cutie mark in it." She hold as smile to her words as she leads you around the barn.

You give her a friendly smile as you think to yourself, I don't think an apple on my ass would look too good for me.

You hold the stupid comment to yourself as your lead into the back of the barn.

"Hey Big Mac."

You look around the hay filled barn for a moment until your eyes set on a big red stallion, his eyes are half shut but as you walk into the barn he blinks a little confused to you.

Applebloom continues as she points her hoof to you, "Hes going to help us with the zap apples, i'll meet you out there."

The small filly leaves the barn as you give a sheepish wave to the still non talking stallion, "Hi."

His half eyed gaze hasn't really changed as he nods his head, "Eeyep."

You watch as he steps aside, behind him is a large wheelbarrow like thing with a harness. Big Mac still doesn't talk as he moves to another wheelbarrow and begins to pull the harness up to himself.

You walk a little close to the harness as you talk, "So just pull this right?"

"Eeyep." Bic Mac starts out of the barn door with the wheelbarrow pulling behind him.

You nod your head as you give a sigh, great job of telling me what I needed to do....you back yourself to the wheelbarrow harness as you begin to pull the straps over your neck and body, you really have no idea how they're supposed to go but as you take your first step at least the thing moves.

It's not heavy but you feel a little tug as you try to follow after the big unfazed red stallion that waits outside of the barn doors.

Big Mac holds his almost bored like gaze to you for a moment before he start to trot towards the applefields.

You follow after him as you think, this is going to be a long day...

- - -

Big Macintosh's paces is slow and the trot under the hot sun is not something you want to be doing right now but you hold your mouth shut as you stare to the weird looking apple trees that have started to come into view.

The apples on the trees look a little bigger than normal and there color is not yellow green or red but rainbow. You give a little chuckle to yourself as you think, Rainbow Dash must be related to the trees.

"Over here!"

You and Big Mac turn your heads to the southern voice as you both look to the orange mare waving towards you.

Big Mac walks over towards her as you follow after him. The stallion's pace has finally picked up a little as you two listen to the orange mare, "Big Mac you go and help Applebloom down at the south side of the orchard, i'll be there in a minute."

The large stallion turns around with the cart following after him as he walks away silently.

The orange mare's words now turn to you as she holds her hoof up, "Ya'll going to help Pinkie pick these apples...and Rainbow if she ever gets here."

You nod your head as you talk, "Ok."

She doesn't stay long as she starts to trot away from you, "If you have any questions just ask Pinkie."

Before you can speak up the orange mare has run off in a sprint.

You nod your head as you look around you, "Where's Pinkie?" As the words leave your mouth the sound of tree branches breaking comes from above you, the source of the cracking is clear as the pink ball of fluff falls to the ground with a thud.

Pinkie is quick to spring from her fall as she takes a big gasp, "OOOHAAHHH, Your pink! You're trying to be like your aunty pinky too?!"

You stare at her overjoyed smile as you stutter, "Uh..."

No response is allowed to come out of your mouth as Her front hooves squish your cheeks together as she talks, "Hows Violet? And do you likebeingpink?BecuaseIlovebeingpink!HUh?Huh?huh?"

You nod your head having no idea what you're agreeing to or if its even a response, but Pinkie's hooves are pressing your cheeks too tight to talk.

Your response seems to have been the hidden password as Pinkie lets go of your cheeks, "OK, well we should really get back to picking apples."

Before you can even speak Pinkie darts over to the tree as she picks up a bucket of bright rainbow apples and places it on top of her head, it takes her a moment to balance it but when she does she picks up the second one and moves back to the wheelbarrow your pulling.

She dumps the apples into the cart as she talks, "It's this fun?"

You squint to her smiling face as you think, its not that you hate outside but pulling a cart around for...however long you need to is not really what you want to do today.

You push the thought back as you nod your head, "Sure."

Pinkie dumps the second bucket and then drops the buckets in, "Great! Next tree." She stops her happy bouncing trot as she taps her hoof to her mouth, "Hmmm, you know, you would look really neat if you had a hat on."

You roll your eyes to her comment as she starts her happy bouncing trot back up.

The pull of the cart is not heavy but you're quickly stopped as you reach the next that's only a step or two away from the last one.

Pinkie points up as she talks in her still overly excited voice, "You should try and pull the apples off with your magic, these trees are magic." She smiles to you as she stops, "Maybe they will like your magic."

You look up to the bright apples as you feel a slight tingle under your coat, a few apples are pulled from the tree as you float them to the cart you pull. It only takes a few moments for the tree's apples to come off, there's only about twenty of these rainbow apples on each tree and with your magic it only takes a few seconds to pull them and place them.

Pinkie happily smiles as she talks, "Great, i'll go and do the next tree."

You follow after the bouncing pink mare as you two move to the next tree. Your eyes drift down to the line of trees you have in front of you, you don't know how many trees are in a line nor do you know how many lines there are...but filling up a cart or two doesn't seem to hard...

End of chapter 4