• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 2,295 Views, 40 Comments

Peace among Warriors - arkman575



After a thousand years since the pony war, the Wolven Empire begins negotiations...

  • ...
4
 40
 2,295

A First Time for Everything

A First Time for Everything[/centre]

“Hello?” Seth cautiously said to the now unconscious unicorn, who in just mere seconds of the sight of him fell flat on her back (or side) after barely saying ‘wolf’. The wolf in question was now staring, dumbstruck, at who he had assumed to be the librarian. Knowing his febil jester would do him little good, Seth concentrated on what exactly to do. He never actually had a wolf unconscious left under his care, let alone a random pony he hadn't even met. Back in the war, if somewolf was down, you would toss him onto your back and run to the nearest foxhole. Something told him that this would take a little improvising.

After a bit of a struggle, due to the still sore leg and the fact he was wearing two pieces of abrasive clothing, Seth managed to get the purple unicorn onto his back after nuzzling his head under her chest. After achieving his tack, the wolf promptly entered the hollowed tree and closed the door behind him.

The first thing Seth noticed was architecture: for once, nothing had a heart. Another difference he noticed was that the library seemed to serve the purpose as a household as well. What tipped the wolf off was a desk against the wall that seemed too cluttered to be of public use.

There seemed to be three other rooms to the library, a second room, a basement and a second floor. Knowing first priority would be to get the unconscious pony on his back to a better location, primarily a bed, Seth chose to climb the stairs. On the other side of the door at the peak of the stairwell revealed a bedroom. Being a wolf, he could clearly see the star spangled bed as well as a dresser, bookshelf, and what looked like a large pet bed. He walked over to the bed, and as gently as possible, lay the pony down on the bed.

Or at least try to. What ended up happening was the pony slipping off the sheets and landing square on the floor. It took another minute to get her back atop the bed the second time, this time with success. He then stripped of both articles of clothing, seeing no other way to cool down, before returning his attention back to his host. Seth couldn't help but stare at the pony, now unconscious on the bed. She was a purple coated pegasus with a darker shaded flat main. The emblem on her rump was of a star surrounded by smaller, less vibrant stars. Seth knew that every pony had one similar to this, but the name and origen were lost to him. After some time, he finally broke his trance off the pony, realising he still had a job to do.

The time was roughly evening, so he assumed his host would be out until the morning. In retrospect, he could use the time. So far he had been assaulted by guards, insulted by rude ponies, tricked into going to a farm town by royalty, met up with the guard again, saw a pony defy physics (which still had Seth’s brain hurt over trying to comprehend the bending of reality), and to top it all off, scare his host nearly to death, literally! He could use the time alone.

The only fatal flaw in his plan though, was the basic need for food. Usually, Seth could suppress the urge for a time, however it had been all day since he had a bite to eat, and that was a piece of dear he and Dawn snacked on on the way here this morning.

‘Possible choices

A. Check the pantry of this library's kitchen

B. Find a restaurant in the town

C. Find a hunting ground’


A was reasonable, although it also seemed pretty rude to ransack the food supply of the wolf-pony in this case- that you're staying at. B was definitely off. C was probably the most reasonable, he loved hunting back home and it was a reliable food source. With his mind made up over his hunger, he began down the stairwell to the forest outside the town. Or so he thought.

“Hey Twilight, Spike told me you were having daisy casserole, so I came by to-”

Standing at the doorway, now aware of the presence of the wolf, stood a technicolor maned pegasus, poised to strike. The two exchanged quizzical yet threatening shares for five seconds. Then, the pegasus made the first move, bolting towards the awaiting wolf, who had donned a slight amused grin. Already plotting his attack, Seth lunged towards the inbound projectile. He was tired of losing today.

The sudden move caught the pony off her guard, losing focus on her target and nearly hitting the stairs. Halfway over the pegasus, Seth extended his hind legs, achieving contact with his purser's winds, forcing the pony to the ground. Seth landed perfectly as planned on the opposite side of the room, again waiting for the pony to make the next move. Upon stumbling to the ground, the pegasus quickly regained her awareness and this time charged on foot toward the wolf. In tern, Seth used his right forepaw to toss the unprepared pony to side of the room,landing on her back, hitting the desk and knocking over some books. Not wanting to continue the struggle, Seth lunged atop the pegasus, pinning her down with his forepaws.

“Mother bucker, what have you done to Twilight!” The pony demanded, trying (and failing) to struggle out of the wolfs grasp.

“I haven't done anything. Who are you?” Seth asked, wondering why he was pinning a strange pony in another stang pony’s house.

“Ya, you would like to know, wouldn’t you!”

“Look, this doesn’t have to get any worse.”

“Ya it does!” The pony yelled, seeing her one shot. With all her strength, she lunged her hind knee straight between her captor’s legs. With a howl, the wolf relieved his strength and fell to the ground in a pile of pain.

Squinting up at his attacker, Seth saw the pegasus standing over him, still as aggravated as ever.

“Two words. Cheep. Shot.” He muttered, still in deep pain. He may have been army, but a nut shot is a nut shot.

“Two words. Don’t. Care.” The pegasus replied, now raising her hoof to strike the final blow.

Seht squinted, waiting for the impact, but instead was given the feeling of weightlessness.
Opening his eyes, he found both him and the multicolor-maned pony floating two feet in the air surrounded by a purple ara. Both he and the pegasus had the same confused expression about their newfound conundrum. Moments passed, then without warning, both of the adversaries were heroled and pinned to the nearby wall.

“Alright!” A shill, annoyed yell boomed from the top of the stairwell. The owner being a peeved off purple unicorn, horn brightly light. “Which one of you was the one who knocked over my books?!?!”

Without hesitation, the pegasus pointed her hoof straight at the confused Seth “He did it!”

[hl]
“So you're saying this fleabag is a king?” The pegasus asked now leaning against the wall with an icepack dawned on her head.

For the past five to the minutes, Twilight Sparkle had been trying to explain what was going on to Rainbow Dash, while the cyan pegasus tied multiple ropes around the wolf (ignoring every protesting comment from Twilight). Seth was lying on his back, tied as if he was a cow, slowly trying to cut the rope with his claws. He had been able to figure out from context that the pony who had threatened him was Rainbow Dash, and that the librarian was Twilight Sparkle. Twilight seemed to be the pratagy the princess mentioned, as well as the town librarian. It seemed odd that a student a princess was given a low level job like this, but look at his life, a thousand year soldier working a desk job, let alone being a diplomat. So far, besides the ropes, the two had given the wolf little attention.

“No, he is a representative of the king. His job is to tell the rulers what we are like.” Twilight explained, still trying to clean the mess Dash had made. “and you tying him up isn’t doing us any favors!”

“Then why did he attack me? And why did Celestia send him here?”

“How should I know? The princess has only sent me the one letter, nothing more. If you have any questions, why don’t you ask your captive.” Twilight gesture to the bound Seth. With much annoyance, Rainbow removed the muffling Seth’s mouth.

“Ok, what is it with ponies and wanting to tie me up?” Seth asked with real interest in the response. All he received were confused stairs from the two.

After a moment, Rainbow began her questioning

“Who are you, wolf?”

“Rainbow!” Twilight protested, not wanting to cause any more problems with their guest than they already had.

“My name is Eclipse, Seth Eclipse. I am a diplomat from the Wolven Empire.” Seth stated.

“You're here to negotiate with Equestria?” Twilight asked, now fairly intrigued.

“Basicly. But first, can one of you untie me” slight annoyance in Seth’s tone.

“Oh, sorry about that, just give me one-”

“Twilight, this wolf is... well, a wolf, a killer! You can’t just let him go!” Rainbow protested.

“Hang on, I got it.” Seth announced, finally breaking through the last binding. Once free, he stood, now towering over the ponies.

“Hey, I didn’t say you could be free!” Dash protested, now charging towards the wolf, only to be halted by Twilight’s magic grasp of her tail.

“Rainbow!”

“Thanks,” Seth acknowledging the favor, a small smile perking on his face.

“No problem.” Twilight responded, letting go of the irritated Dash. “Do you mind if I ask you some questions?” she asked, wanting to know everything about the wolf.

“Oh, sure.”

“So, you said you were a diplomat, right? How long have you been in the job?”

“As of today, around seventy two hours.” Seth responded, chuckling at his own answer.

“Oh.” Was all twilight said.

“Wait, what! Three days?” Rainbow interjected. “They send a boy to negotiate for their nation? Wow, wolves are domb.”

“Rainbow!” the unicorn scolded.

“It’s ok, not the first criticism I heard today.” Seth replied “Did you have any more questions?”

“Oh, yes.” Twilight perked up, grabbing an unusually long scroll from the nearby table, surprising both Seth and Dash. “So, you are a wolf?”

“Compared to...”

“Well, here in Equestria, we have a similar species known as timber-wolves, I was wondering if you were a crossbreed of a different species or not.”

“Well, to answer your question, I’m a pure gray wolf alpha-male” he replied. ‘Now, what was that about timberwolves again?’

“Fascinating, and you hold power in your land by your title as ‘alpha-male’?” Twilight asked, getting more and more intrigued by the wolve’s way of life.

“Not exactly, the alpha-male title was used for our form in combat and strength. Wolves are born fighters, sprinters, athletes and so on. Alpha wolves get a bit of everything.”

“Huh, I wouldn’t have guessed” The librarian replied, now beginning to write on another piece of parchment.

“I got a question,” Dash blurted out, obviously tired of the nerd herd. “Why are you wolves wanting to do anything with us? You seem pretty content with home.”

“Well, my agitated friend, we wolves happened to be contacted by your princess a few days ago. That, is why I’m here.” Seth said smugly, not letting his temper rise.

“Ok, then why do you have that scar over your eye? I doubt thats a birth mark.”

“I rather not go into that matter at this time. You were saying Twilight?”

“I thought you said you were a diplomat. If thats true, then how did you get that bad of a cut?” The pegasus persisted. “Plus, what's with that mark on your leg” Dash jestering to the wolf pack emblem.

Seth mealy ignored the pegasus, although memories of the past had begun to take their effect. He tried to suppress those chaotic thoughts, only for them to return in spades. Memories of his battles, more precisely the day he gained his scar, and lost a wolf.

Seth was now staring off into his own thoughts, aggravating Dash from lack of attention.

“Wolf, hey wolf! I'm talking to you!”

“Rainbow, can't you see he’s probably stresses from all this? Give him some space!”

“Ya, like the space he gave me?”

Seth’s phased back into reality, realising he was the center of attention. “Look, it’s been a long day, I just want some rest.”

“Here, let me show you to your room, it’s just up-”Twilight was then interrupted as Rainbow Dash shoved Seth away from Twilight.

“No, I’m not going to let my best friend get mauled by a wolf in the night! If he wants a place to stay, the Everfree Forest is packed full of killers just like this mut!”

Rainbow’s comment was met by a fierce growl from Seth, whose deadly glare was locked on the pegasus. This was the straw that broke the camel's back.

“First, I’m not a mut! I’m a thousand years old alpha-wolf!” the angered wolf spat out. Seth was tired of this, all of this, and it was time to let it out “Second, I may be new to the job, but not to you ponies. OH NO! I'VE KNOWN YOU FOR TOO LONG NOW . You think I’m a killer, YOU ALL DO! Well thats right! I kill! ALL WOLVES KILL. We hunt, cook, and eat meat. Thats just who we are. No one ever considers that wolves just might have more to offer. In the past thousand years, we rebuilt our shattered way of life for the better. We perfected air travel, we invented electricity, plasma fields, railguns! All this, we did all this, after nearly being exterminated by you... PONIES!” By this time, he was half yelling to them as he was himself. All these years of built up fear, anger, regret, sorrow, hatred, was finally released.

And the victims of his rage were speechless.

Seth, now finished with his rage quit, started quietly sobbing into his few as he layed down on the hard oak floor. After several moments of not so complete, but still awkward silence, Twilight finally spoke up.

“Seth?”

“AHH!!!” Seth yelled out as if in moral pain, before charging for the door, knocking it off its hinges.

After several moments of more awkward silence, this time actually silent, It was Rainbow to take the break.

“What just happen?”

[hl]

Canterlot Castle

One hour earlier

“Well, if there isn’t any objections, I call this meeting adjourned.” the celestial god announced to her console, not wanting to spoil the precise evening in a stuffy throne room. Princess Celestia had just sat through one of the longest, and probably the most important council sessions in years. It was summoned to discuss the events of the wolven peace agreement. Usually something at this high of calabar made meetings worth sitting through, but after a stressful day of preparing for the departure of the wolf, she needed a night off.

As the crowd of council members departed for the night, giving their pleasant farewells to each other, the princess slowly, but intently, strided towards her waiting chamber. Tonight, she had promised Luna to end the council meeting early to view her rising of the night. Her sister had been working on a new constitution for the past few months, and tonight would be the grand unveiling.

“Princess Celestia, we need to talk.” Called a distinctive voice from the entrance of the throne room.

‘Shining? Usually he isn’t so bold.’

“Yes, what do you wish to speak about.” the princess chimed in her usual manner, turning to her guest.

“How could you send him?” An angered Shining Armor asked.

“Who?”

“The wolf, you sent the wolf to Ponyville.”

“Yes I did, I knew if we were to ever secure peace between-”

“You knew I had issues with that wolf, and instead of even considering to listen to me, you send his to live with my SISTER!”

“Shining?”

“No, I’m sorry, but unless that wolf leaves ponyville, I resign my command of the guard. I don’t want to be standing by while another life is taken by those beasts. Good evening princess”. And without another word, the former guardpony walked out of the throne room.

Princess Celestia stood there, trying to understand what just happened, why her best guard flipped over one simple task for his sister. Eventually, she did walk to the balcony to get some fresh air and spectate on her sisters work, still focused on the dilemma.


“Well, do you like it!” Luna yelled, catching her sister off guard and nearly losing her balance.

“Luna! How many times have I told you not to do that! The elder sister sarcastically scolded the younger.

“You just seemed so stressed, plus the face you made was worth it all.” Luna commented, laughing at her sister’s nonexistent anger.

“Ha ha, very funny. But I love the consolation though. You truly have outdone yourself.”

“Then why are you unhappy” Luna inquired, noticing a slight frown on the usually cheery face.

“Oh it’s nothing to concern yourself with, it’s just theses peace talks again.” Celestia confessed, not wanting to get into a debate with her sister at this hour.

“Is the council giving you trouble for summoning the diplomat? I truly don’t see any problem with a new guest in our land.”

“No, it’s Shining Armor, he is still arguing about the decision to bring him here.”

“Well, I see his point, with his background and all. But the guy’s a trained diplomat, and he’s stuck here at the castle.”

“Well, thats not entirely true- Wait! What do you mean ‘background’?” Celestia asked, not knowing of anything prior to this mention.

“I was tragic. Years back, when Twilight was just barely a foal and Shining was just getting into the roil academy. He and his parents were out near the base of Canterlot mountain for a picnic and a dueling section.” by this point, Luuna was already starting to shed a tear. “About mid-way through a duel, the family was ambushed by a pack of wolves. They never saw it coming. Since they had already drained most of their magic, the wolves had little resistance. Shinings parents held off most of the attack while he fled for help. By the time he had got the Canterlot guard, there was nothing left to defend. Twilight was at home with Cadence, so she was completely unaware of the event. Shining later told her that it was an accident that took her parents lives, not wanting to scare his young sister.” As Luna finished the tail, now with a steady flow of tears, Celestia had only one question.

“How did you know?”

“Ever since my return to Equestria, I have looked over all the dreamers of the night. One in particularly trouble dreamer finally caught my eye. Every so often, he kept dreaming the same dream. When I figured out it was Shining Armor, I came up and asked him one day what it meant. He told me everything I told you.”

“Oh, It all makes sense now...”

“What?”

“I haven't been entirely truthful with you, sister.”

“What have you done?” Luna questioned, now with a tone of slight anger.

“I sent the wolf to Ponyville.”

“You what?”

“I thought Twilight could handle him.”

“She may be strong, but this is a new level you are putting her through.”

“She is ready for this.”

“If you are confident in her, I will trust you. Good night sister” Luna pardoned as she made her way to her tower.

“There is one more thing.” Celestia called to her sister, hanging her head low.

“Oh, what is it”

“The wolf is the Eclipse”

“Then you have doomed us all.” Luna called, before departing for her tower once again.

“I just might have”

Author's Note:

I'm back baby! I know this is way overdue, but I will get the rest out as soon as I can. Thanks for staying with this for so long.