• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 2,295 Views, 40 Comments

Peace among Warriors - arkman575



After a thousand years since the pony war, the Wolven Empire begins negotiations...

  • ...
4
 40
 2,295

A Great Start

A Great Start

“Clear! Seth, take the next floor, I got this one.” called an unknown voice from across the war-torn hall.

Seth, not exactly aware of his surroundings, bolted for the flight of stair in front of him. He was in a half-destroyed public office building. Once achieving his goal, he kicked down the door atop the stairwell, knife strapped to his right paw. As he began to search the hallway and the rooms adjacent to them, questions rushed through the wolf’s mind.

‘This...this can’t be. I’m... back? Back in the war?’

“Seth, get those rooms clear, we need to move out!” called the same mysterious voice, breaking the wolf from his thoughts.

Seth continued down the hall, clearing the empty rooms as he ran. Meeting at the end of the hall was a hole leading down to the previous story. Below stood a coal-black wolf, red patches across his hide. Seth stood atop the destroyed flooring, not believing his eyes.

“S...Shadow?”

“All clear down here sir, time to catch up with the rest of the team.” called the wolf below.

“Shadow, you're alive?” Seth exclaimed, still in bewilderment.

“Am I supposed to take that as an insult? Now get down here so we can get out of here.”

Without even realising it, Seth trekked down a pile of rubble and began walking with Shadow out of the building towards an empty grassless burnt field.

“How, I saw you die!” the confused wolf stammered.

“Look, I’m alive, the pack’s alive, everywolf is fine.” Shadow reassured his troubled warrior.

“This doesn’t make any sense, you died during the battle for Trotingsdale!”

“Relax, let all that behind you. Everything is fine. You're just acting paranoid again.”

Seth felt his previous troubles beginning to lift away, like they were just balloons in the breeze.

“You know, you are probably r- Wait, you said the pack was ok, right? The whole Wolfpack?” Seth questioned, returning to his old paranoid self.

“Yes? They are just waiting for us outside of town.” Shadow answered, giving a cautious look to Seth. “Is everything ok Seth?”

“I...I don’t know. All I remember is you, and the others...dying,”

“Ok Seth, now you are just creeping me out. Lets just get back to camp and you can grab some grub.”

“Sure, sure. Thats probably it.” Seth said, looking to the ground as the two continued down the plain.

For several minutes, the two were silent. Finally, Seth spoke up again.

“Do you mind if we talk?”

“Sounds like you need it,” the black wolf replied.

“I just don’t get it, I know we are at war and all, but this just doesn’t feel right,”

“And you're telling me this now why? You keep saying this is wron-”

“No,” Seth interrupted. “Not like wrong as in unjustified, but wrong as in not possible wrong. I can't put my paw on it, but it just is... off.”

“I don’t really get what you're saying, but exactly what feels off?”

“Well, like I said, you being d-”

“SHIT!” Shadow yelled as the two stared at the burning remains of what used to be their camp. “Seth, you take the south end of camp, I’ll take north.”

Before Seth could protest, Shadow was nowhere to be found. He began sprinting towards the tents, trying to spy any sign of life. What met him was the exact opposite. Bodies. Endless piles of wolf and pony bodies. Some barely touched, others too mangled so you couldn’t tell what species they were before. It seemed like shallow lakes began to form from the ample supply of blood. Seth, dreading the sight of this horror show, wanted with every fiber of his wolven body to run like hell.

Except he didn’t. Against his will, he continued further into the slaughterhouse. The bloodstreams seemed to rise to the point he was having to wade through the liquid. His body rounded a corner, meeting the last bit of pure darkness this world could place upon a wolf.

Standing in front of Seth, surrounded by the six deceased members of the Wolfpack, one hoof atop Dawns bleeding yet alive head, was a cloaked pony Seth could only imagine originating in the pits of whatever hell ponies were condemned.

“So, the proud warrior returns, only to see his friends and family dead.” scoffed the pony.

Rage as well as fear coursed through the veins of the wolf. Breaking free of his transparent bonds, he lunged for the monstrosity, hoping to exact revenge for his brethren. With a simple wave of it’s hoof, Seth felt a bone-cracking blow to his ribs as he was flung against a deceased corps.

“You really thought it was going to be that simple?” Snarled the pony. “Even though your actions were fruitless, sacrifice is needed for misjudgment.”

The pony walked over the the immobilized Seth, ripped the knife out of his paw, and turned back to his brother. It turned it’s head to face him, revealing a dark naval blue hide and teal eyes.

“And this is only the beginning, Eclipse.”

With one quick movement of it’s hoof, the knife penetrated deep into Dawns scarred chest.

“NOOOOO!”


Seth jumped off the couch he was on,heart racing, dripping in a cold sweat. It was roughly an hour before first light based on the lunar positioning. ‘It was a dream.’

The wolf had many dreams similar to of this, especially during the first weeks after he first awoke in the new world. Each was more or less the same; Seth watching his troops die, entire cities going up in flames, but this one took the cake. They got less and less frequent as time and counseling progressed, until the point when he himself had started to forget the nightmares entirely. The elder wolf began to let his guard down, not needing to fear the return of the mental threats that once pledged him. This in turn was a cause of his short defences.

Without alerting Fluttershy, Seth walked out of the cottage, getting some much needed fresh air. To his luck, a small stream was flowing not an eighth of a mile from his previous residence. He began cleansing his fur of the swet, not caring of the chilling cold, as his mind was on other matters.

‘What had this meant? It was just a dream, but, it felt... real.’

He kept at it for several minutes, until his senses finally noticed the sun peeking over the hills in the distance. As the sun began to dry his soaked cote, Seth retreated to a field of grass next to the stream as he looked over the town not far away.

He kept replaying the dream over and over in his head, trying to find any strand of sense among the gruesome scenes. Every time, he found only death, destruction, and little mercy from the hooded beast.

In the distance, Seth’s ears perked at the sound of pawsteps through the grass. He turned his head to see Fluttershy walking towards him, carrying a basket in her mouth.

“Aren't you up a bit early?” The wolf called.

Fluttershy dropped the basket and took out a large bowl of what looked to be a fresh salad “I’m usually up this early so I can feed my animals. Why are you up?”

“Just a bad dream and I couldn’t get back to sleep.”

“Oh, what was it about? If you don’t mind me asking.” Fluttershy asked before walking over to the wolf.

“It’s... complicated.” Seth said with some difficulty.

“Oh, ok then. Do you want something for breakfast? I’ve already got some for my animals, I could easily get something for you.”

“I would hate to burden you, but if you insist...” Seth said, not trying to sound overly desperate for a morsel to eat. A small fesen was little to cure a days worth of
hunger, and that was yesterday.

“Oh, I’ll be right back!” The pegasus called as she dashed for the cottage, leaving Seth to continue his thoughts.

‘Wait, what do ponies eat for breakfast?’


Twilight was already preparing breakfast when Spike stumbled down the steps in his usual morning exhaustion.

“Morning Twilight. What's for breakfast?” Spike called, causing Twilight to jump.

“Oh hey Spike, I already got some pancakes on the table. Aren’t you up a bit early?” Twilight asked, placing the last of the hotcakes on a serving plate and levitating it to the awaiting dragon already seated at the table.

“Not really, it’s already eight A.M.” spike said, gesturing to the wall clock.

“Really? Wow, I must of lost track of time.” Twilight admitted in embarrassment.

“You know, for a pony who is so organised and has checklists for checklist, you really have a horrible perception of time passing.” Called the dragon, who had already finished off on of the cakes.

“Sorry. It’s just I have to go to Fluttershy’s house today and I’m just thinking of everything I’ll need.” Twilight explained while just staring on her own breakfast.

“I thought you needed to see that king guy?”

“The diplomat spent the night at fluttershy’s, so I’m going over to her house to see how he’s doing.”

“Mind if I tag along?”

“What?” Twilight stammered, caught off guard by the proposal.

“Can I tag along? You said you would tell me what this guy’s like, so meeting him will just cut out the middlepony.”

“Well, I did promise you more details...” the unicorn was struggling to spare her assistant from the wolven diplomat. “I don’t know Spike.”

“Come on Twilight, you promised!”

“Fine, but you have to do everything I say, ok?”

“Just like every other waking moment of my life?” Spike laughed at his own joke, while earning a glare from his mentor.

“Spike!”

“Ya, I’ll do what you say.”

“Ok after breakfast, we’ll go to Fluttershy's”

“But I’m already done.” Spike lifted his sparkling plate for Twilight to examin.

“Then can you run up and pack the books on my nightstand?I read over a few things last night and I might need them for today.”

As Twilight finished her breakfast while Spike began packing her books into her saddlebag. The books ranged from ‘The Dictionary to Diplomatics’ to ‘Physics and Philosophy of Predatory Predators’. After brushing her mane, and receiving both the saddlebag and an inquiring look from Spike, the two were out the door.

Until a crate of assorted equipment landed inches from where Twilight was standing outside the library.

“Oh sorry about that, I didn’t see you down there.”

“Derpy!” Twilight called after recovering from nearly being crushed. “Do I have to remind you about last time this happened? Those hospital bills weren't cheap!”

The disoriented mail-mare in question was giving Twilight the most apologetic face she could. “Sorry, it’s just that this came all the way from Canterlot with your name on it. It weighed a ton, so I just had to let it go.”

“Well, thanks for making the trip. What is it anyway?”

Derpy looked at the crate of supplies for a few seconds in deep concentration. “Did you order an oversized survivor’s kit?”

“No, but I might know what this is!” Twilight announced, remembering the letter from yesterday. “Just move the stuff into the library quick, we have a meeting to catch.”

Derpy complied with her normal smile and began the task. As Twilight was about to resume her walk to Fluttershy’s, a small piece of paper next to the pallet caught her eye. At further investigation, it was a small picture of two wolves that fell off the crate. She immediately noticed Seth was one of them, but the other is still a mystery.

“Who’s that, Twilight?” Spike asked.

“That, my dear Spike, is our diplomat.” Twilight said, gesturing towards Seth.

“Oh. So he’s not a griffin.” Spike sighed in relief.

“Yes, but he is still a wolf. Wolves are predators” Twilight protested, obviously expecting more out of the dragon.

“Ya, so are griffins, and griffins can fly. Frankly, I’d rather be in a room with a wolf than any relative of Gilda.” retorted Spike as he began walking towards the outskirts of town.

“Am I the only pony who is taking this as a threat?” She asked rhetorically, joining Spike on the walk.

“Didn’t Fluttershy?”

“No! Of all ponies I would think would react to this, she was on the top of the list. Turns out she loves the guy. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was already planning to keep him as a pet.”

Spike laughed “Angle’s going to hate this”


Seth was still out next to the river, lapping up the yoke of a sunny side up egg. He had debated with Fluttershy on exactly what she could prepare vs what the wolf could physically eat. It wasn’t like he was picky, but like most canines, greens just didn’t sit well with him.
In the final compromise, Seth was given the egg.

“Did you like the breakfast?” Called Fluttershy, who had just returned from her morning shopping.

“Ya, you ponies really know how to cook. I mean you have tea, eggs, and I think I passed a few pastries on my way out of the castle in the capital.”

“Well thank you. It’s nice to hear a somepony appreciating my hospitality.” Fluttershy replied walking over to Seth. “Why haven’t you gone into the house? Aren't you afraid somepony will see you?”

“I didn’t want to scare off your animals, and it’s such a nice day.” Seth lied.

‘And that rabbit locked me out of your house.’

Seth rolled his eyes at his subconscious while Fluttershy fumbled with something in one of her bags. The wolf was going to ask how an animal caretaker gets paid if she usually works with strays when something round in the pegasuses hoof caught his eye.

“Oh, F-Fluttershy? What are you doing?”

Next to Seth was the yellow pony slowly inching forward with a polished leather collar. The metal tag was engraved with ‘Seth’. He in turn slowly retreated his neck, calculating what this could possibly mean.

“Well, seeing that you need to stay low profile, I just thought the collar would make you look like my pet. Nopony would suspect a thing! If it’s ok with you of course.” Fluttershy replied, flashing her abnormally large eyes.

“Well, besides it being degrading as a wolf, it’s a good idea for a disguise. We're really playing the ‘hiding in plain sight’ card, aren't we?”

With a bit of struggling and a hint of a growl from the wolf, Fluttershy was able to attach the collar.

“Now, let me just tighten the strap here and-”

A gasp could be hear from near the cottage. The two of them turned, still in their embrace, to find a startled Twilight Sparkle and a rather large reptile.

“F-Fluttershy?” Twilight mumbled, jaw still dragging on the ground.

“This isn’t what it looks like!” the pegasus yelled. Seth could only shake his head in shame.

Author's Note:

The next chapter will be delayed due to the holidays, so I hope you enjoy these ones for now.

And for those who assume that I'm going to ship Seth and Fluttershy, I'm not. The reason I say this is that a good friend of mine gave me this...FlutterSeth