• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 2,295 Views, 40 Comments

Peace among Warriors - arkman575



After a thousand years since the pony war, the Wolven Empire begins negotiations...

  • ...
4
 40
 2,295

Career Change

Career Change

Five years before the letter

Dawn was standing on his hind legs, leaning over Seth’s bed. It had been two days since he was revived, and today they planned to wake his brother. The wolf in question was turning in his bed, still technically unconscious.

After the initial rousing, Dawn wasn’t told much about, well, anything. Apparently, the doctors were waiting for both he and Seth to recover before explaining what has happened since the war. All Dawn could think was how the war ended, and at what cost. His thoughts were quickly interrupted as the official from the first day entered.

“Dawn, Seth should be coming to any minute now. I convinced the docs to lay off for a few minutes while we… talk.” The wolf said, standing next to the bed himself.

Dawn only nodded, focusing on Seth, who was beginning to stir.


In the darkened mind of Seth Eclipse, the depressed wolf had begun to question many thoughts, including if he was even alive.

‘I know I was injured, but was it so severe that it finally killed off the the once strong warrior?’ Seth questioned.

‘No! You have survived worse. The scar over your eye proved that.’ A voice responded.

‘True, but does it matter? I’ve killed countless others, my death is justified.’

There was no response, proving to Seth he was right.

In the distance, a light started to form.

‘Is this th-the end?’

‘No, only the next step,’ called the voice.

At this point, the light surrounded Seth’s entire field of awareness, as the wolf began to enter reality.


“Seth… Seth!…” called a voice through the blinding light.

Slowly, a white, sterile looking room began to fade in as the light subsided. Seth tried to turn his head towards the voice, but found the stress to do the simple task to be overwhelming. He was able to relax the side of his aching skull on the pillow, with much effort. What met his gaze was not only surprising, but just plain relieving.

“Seth?” his brother called to him.

“I’m still here,” Seth weakly answered, slowly followed by a small smile.

“You were always the strong one of the pack, weren't you?” Dawn answered, his expression empty of concern and filled with joy for his newly reunited brother.

The two laughed for over a minute, until the official cleared his throat, calling the wolves to attention.

“I’m sorry to cut the two of you off, but, there are things we must discuss, about what happened.”

The reunited brothers just stared at the wolf, giving him their full attention.

“I’m going to say this bluntly, but with the truth; you both deserve that much. You both have been frozen for the better part of one thousand years. When you went under, we were winning the war. The tide turned for the worst a week later. You were shipped back home and then brought back by train. That train was lost by saboteurs who bombed the main tracks to the capital. You never arrived. One member of the Wolfpack died protecting the train from the intruders. The rest of the team was killed in combat the year before Discord invaded the empire.”

The official continued to describe the war for several minutes, not losing the attention of his audience. “In the end, the war lasted fifteen years. Both races were nearly extinct. To this day, we still don’t know what happened to the ponies or their dictator, Discord. Since then, we have struggled to get back to the status we were then. As you can tell, we have made progress, and in a technological aspect, we have passed our previous peak years ago. Even though we have achieved much, we still regret our mistakes in the past.”

By the tone of his voice, the two knew he had finished his speech. The room was then filled with a somewhat eerie silence as the they took in what the official had said. After half a minute, Seth finally spoke.

“What do we do now?”

The official spoke after a small pause.

“We hope to bring you back to the Wolven Empire.”

After a moment, Dawn asked, “What will we do?”

“That is up to you,” the wolf said, before turning to the door. “Oh, by the way, my name is Damon.”


In the following five years, the brothers returned to the empire's military, seeing as it was and has been their only home. After several months of reorientation of technology and science of the new Wolven Empire, the wolven brethren took a firm grasp among their fellow soldiers. Since the war, there has been no conflict. Seth took up research and development as he was always a tech when he wasn’t fighting. Dawn began a career as a pilot, wanting to fulfill his dreams of flight.

Being unfamiliar with the new world, the two struggled, especially Seth. The elder wolf still suffered from the stress of killing innocent beings. Every week for the next year, he requested to take therapy courses to help ease his nerves over the matter. Damon was always in contact with the two, and began a friendship with Seth. When Damon became president, Seth agreed to fill the position of Assistant of Defence. The job was slow, but it gave Seth time to continue his works in research.


8:05 A.M.
Present day

Seth was in his office, as he usually was in the morning, sipping a decaffeinated coffee, checking his E-mails as he normally did. Seth’s office was comprised of a desk with assorted pens and papers, three wooden chairs with leather upholstering, and a two monitored computer. On the wall hung two paintings, one was of the symbol of the Wolfpack, the other was of him and Dawn in the tundra. It might be considered simple by most standards, but the simplicity of the room satisfied Seth’s needs.

After finishing his morning ritual of coffee sipping, deleting spam and the occasional important e-mail return, Seth sat back in his chair, preparing his mind for an uneventful day.
During this mind set, a thought suddenly occurred to Seth. He, Seth Eclipse, a warrior, was now a desk job worker, somebody he used to mock back in the day. The slight joy of the joke amused the wolf, as he began to sort papers. The only side-note the job of Assistant of Defence in a country without war in centuries is that it was always the same routine. A sudden buzz canceled Seth’s thoughts

“Yes, Mr. President,” Seth answered obediently.

“Seth, we just received a letter,” called Damon from his office.

“Not to be rude, but isn’t mail for the interns downstairs?”

“This letter is a bit too important for an intern. Meet me in my office, asap,” Damon ordered before silencing the call.

‘Well, forget the same routine,’ Seth thought as he got out his chair and walked for the door.

As Seth nudged the president’s door open with his head, he could tell that Damon was in a state of confusion. He was sitting in his chair, looking at what seemed to be the letter in question. In the past years, Seth hasn’t seen his friend in this much of a mess over a piece of paper.

“You wanted to see me, sir?” Seth called from the doorway, catching Damon off guard.

“Seth, we have been friends for five years, you don't need to use sir around me,” Damon chuckled.

“Sorry, I'm still military,” Seth returned.

“I wanted to inform you of this letter that arrived today, and it involves you.”

“Me?”

“Look, I’ve always been truthful, about everything. Now, the letter states a potential peace offering to the wolves. I want you as our head diplomat. It might not be easy, but I’ve known you for only five years and you have a cooler head than any of those pencil-pushers down the hall. It’s not an order, but, I ask you not as the president, but as a friend. Will you take the job?”

After a moment’s pause for Seth to think, Seth spoke up, “For you, the long lost warrior will be your diplomat.” Seth laughed at his own joke. Damon just smiled, a hint of concern in his eyes. “So, who’s the new friendly nation we’re dealing with and when do I ship out?” Seth asked, still in a fairly joyful mood.

“Well…” Damon began, much concern now showing. “We have dealt with the nation before…”

“Come on, spit it out,” Seth coxed, slightly less amused

“Seth, this might–”

“Tell me!” he demanded.

“Equestria. You will be shipped out by helicopter tomorrow,” Damon answered blankly.

Author's Note: