• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 2,295 Views, 40 Comments

Peace among Warriors - arkman575



After a thousand years since the pony war, the Wolven Empire begins negotiations...

  • ...
4
 40
 2,295

The Cost Of War

The Cost of War

“Tell me then!” Dawn ordered, wanting anything to save his brother’s life.

“There is a new method of self preservation, causing the victim’s heart rate to slow to an amazingly low pace. It would be just fast enough to survive, but so slow enough that the blood would clot. Then he can be treated elsewhere.” The doctor continued, pausing only to check his clipboard, “In this case, he would be treated once we have the technology to perform such a surgery. Mind you it may take years until we are remotely close to performing such a surgery, and the whole process is still in an experimental pha–”

“Freeze him,” Dawn said coolly before getting up and trotting toward the shower hall.

With a look of disbelief, the wolven medic stuttered, “Th-there is still a huge risk factor to consider! He might not even survive the freeze shock!”

Dawn just turned and glared at the perplexed wolf before saying, “You just told me he wouldn’t make it if we did nothing. If we freeze him, he at least has a chance. For my brother, I’m willing to try it.”

The doctor just stared as the bloody wolf trotted down the hall.

“Oh, and doc, prepare to freeze me as well, he will need a friend when he wakes up.” Those were the last words Dawn spoke before he left that time.


A team of scientists, general surgeons, and a handful of medical technicians had been dispatched from the Empire as word finally reached the head of military staff. The freezing chambers, otherwise known as cryo chambers, consisted of a metal cylinder with a transparent face about 2’ X 2’ to see the user.

On the rig were multiple compressed gas tanks as well as liquid storage. The theory of freezing a living being was first hypothesized shortly after preservation and medicine skyrocketed during the Wolven Age of Knowledge. Contrary to belief of most wolven prey, wolves are more knowledged in the studies of science than ranged combat, knowing that paw to paw combat was prefered by most wolves.

This is why the civilization was only just achieving reloadable weaponry.

This was one of many lectures Dawn had to sit through before he and his dying brother began the stages for freezing. One side note that caught the brother’s mind was that in cryosleep, you didn’t dream, or even have thought. The idea reassured Dawn, knowing Seth wouldn’t have to suffer much longer.

The process seemed relatively simple. They place a mask over your mouth and muzzle, slowly fill your body with a liquid through your lungs while you breath, and supposedly slow down the aging process. After being injected with different chemicals, your brain shuts down all secondary functions and ‘Poof’, you’re a wolven popsicle.

While Dawn lay down in the tank, back against what felt like foam, he looked over at the adjacent tank. Seeing his brother Seth Eclipse, he knew this would be the last time he would see him again for potentially years. He looked calm, as if not a care in the world could hurt him.

The medical team placed the mask over Seth, then Dawn, as they began to initiate the process of cryo sleep. Feeling the somehow breathable liquid run down his throat, Dawn’s last thought before drifting off was, ‘Here’s to peace brother…’

The capsules were sealed as the two wolven brethren drifted off into cryosleep.


Unfortunately, the plan to unseal the two wolves and treat Seth was quickly forgotten. Due to the failure of taking the little town hall to provide a flanking attack, the army was cut down by the pony militia. After receiving notice of such an attack, Discord was enraged at the knowledge of the near loss of his throne. Discord personally led his slave army against the now weakened empire. In the course of thirteen years, both sides took severe casualties, and the ponies even invaded the empire, causing much turmoil amongst the wolves. As the main legions of Discord’s slowly approached the capitol, an unbelievable stroke of luck rained down upon the empire. On the day of the summer solstice, two unknown goddesses approached Discord’s army. As they began to free the slaves, Discord retreated to Equestria, followed swiftly by the goddesses.

From that point on, the war, at least from the wolves’ stand point, was over.

In the course of fifteen years, the empire had nearly been obliterated. Only seven percent of the population survived. Even less, if you exclude the wounded. The Wolven Empire was nearly killed off in one of the bloodiest wars either race had seen. For the first two hundred years, the only focus was on rebuilding the smoldering masses that were once grand cities, as well as restoring order. The following five hundred were spent returning to the original state of the empire. And from that point on, the empire attempted to flourish as a civilization of knowledge, as well as power.

Equestria suffered a much larger death toll due to the first invasion and the wolves’ experimental weaponry. The reconstruction of their society took a much longer and harder time to progress; With their natural way of life a figment of the past, the ponies were at a loss of morality. At the loss of one of their princesses, the kingdom fell into disarray. These horrid times were never recorded in pony history, attempting, and succeeding, to forget its bloody past. Once Equestria was restored to stable society, the citizens mostly focused on magic rather than science, showing their lack of technology compared to the wolves. The remaining princess influenced the kingdom to turn away from violence, snuffing the flame of the history of war out.

Over the years, ponies died, memories forgotten, and eventually all that was remembered of the wolves were the lesser, mindless pack hunters roaming the forests of Equestria. Nopony even remembered the wolven empire. Well, almost nopony…

Author's Note:

Third chapter revised, and happy thanksgiving!