• Published 3rd Jul 2013
  • 3,494 Views, 162 Comments

Through The Eyes of Innocence - Icudeadnow



Scootaloo feels like Rainbow Dash does not want her. Is this true?

  • ...
6
 162
 3,494

Chapter 3: Everlasting Love...

The little orange filly burst into her father's home, crying. She had forgot to close the door and the rain was getting everything wet. Her father sprung up from his armchair and closed the door. He said something to her but she didn't hear. She just wanted to be alone. She bounded down the hallway, got into her room, and slammed the door. She jumped onto the bed and buried her head into her pillow, soaking it in her tears that were coming in like a flash flood. She heard her father come up the stairs and stop outside her door.

"Scoots... what's wrong...?" Dawnfire, her father, asked. He knocked on the door and asked, "Can I come in...?" Scootaloo didn't answer. She couldn't even think straight right now. All she could think about was what Rainbow Dash had said to her. She heard Dawnfire enter the room and slowly approach her bed. She felt the bed dip under his weight as he sat on the bed. He brushed a lock of mane away from her eyes when she finally looked at him. He was pretty muscular, about as muscular as Big Macintosh. he had a long, jagged scar tha ran across the length of his cheek. He had a black mane and red coat. He had kind, caring eyes beneath his tough posterior. He was the very embodiment of a good father. Scootaloo reached and and embraced her father, which she had not done in a very long time. He returned the hug and cooed to her, trying to comfort her.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." Dawnfire said, understanding shone through his eyes. Scootaloo nodded and went back to hugging him.

"Dad...?" Scootaloo asked hesitantly, "Can you s-sing the lullaby mom used to sing to me...?" He hesitated for a few seconds. She then felt the humming inside of his chest as he began.

Sweet darling, lay your head down as I sing you my everlasting love.

Through the clouds we bound, dreaming the dream of mystery.

Mountains crumble with every syllable.

I sing you my heart and my soul. I sing you my love.

My everlasting love...

Dawnfire's voice cracked up as he sang the song that Serene Winds, Scootaloo's mother, had always sung to her before she went to bed. It had been so long and yet he still remembered the song and its entirety. She looked up and saw that he was tearing up as he sang the song. She could tell that he was trying to hold them in but it was to no avail. But he still kept singing, never missing a beat. Soon, she could feel the exhaustion kick in as the words soothed her. She laid her head down on his shoulder, and drifted off to a deep slumber.

* * * * * *

Scootaloo slowly opened her eyes to find that she was in a field of some sorts. She looked around and found that this field had no end. The grass was tall and it tickled her, causing the little filly to giggle softly. There were millions of butterflys all around her, seemingly dancing. They flew around like they had some type of deep purpose that the little filly could only guess at. This had to be some type of dream. It just felt... real... it felt right. Most of the butterflys flew around one spot. Behind the butterflys was some type of bright light. It shone not only across the filly's face and the field, but it shone through her somehow. It touched her in a way so deep that it reached to the very core of her. Some would call it a soul. She slowly walked towards the light, mesmerized by its beauty. The colors in this world seemed... brighter. Happier. Without warning, the butterflys flew off at the same time, providing her with the view of the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. The light dimmed down slowly and behind it was... no. That's... impossible. There, behind the light, was her mother. Her mane more radiant than she had ever remembered. Her coat shone with a brilliance, brighter than Celestia herself.

"But... how...?" Scootaloo asked, her voice weak as she tried to comprehend what lay before her. Serene Winds, her mother, slowly walked towards the shocked Scootaloo. A warm smile was splayed across the face of the angelic form of her mother.

"I come to you, my dear Scootaloo, in this dream. I am real and so is this dream. I felt that you needed guidance." Serene Winds said, her voice echoing across the fields. The sound of her voice was like a river of the sweetest honey to Scootaloo's ears.

"But... why?" Scootaloo asked. This was all she could say because she was too shocked and awed to say anything else. Serene Winds laughed softly. She reached towards Scootaloo and brushed a hoof across the little filly's face. Scootaloo couldn't take it anymore. She threw herself to her mother and they fel down in a deep embrace. Scootaloo cried, her tears that of utter joy.

"Scootaloo... you have to listen because I don't have much time" Serene Winds said, as she hugged the orange filly back. Scootaloo nodded and listened intently, wishing to hear more of her mother's voice. The feelings coursing through Scoots were so powerful that she felt like she was about to explode.

"You and Rainbow Dash share a connection, similar to the one that me and you shared. You have to forgive her. She feels horrible for what she said and is tearing herself apart over it." Her mother said. Scootaloo looked up into the eyes of Serene Winds and found a peace that she thought was impossible to achieve. It resonated througout her body and provided her with a happiness not born of the real world. It was from... somewhere else.

"But... she was really mean." Scootaloo whimpered, not wanting to forgive Rainbow Dash so easily but still wanting to obey her mother.

"You are the bravest filly I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I still remember you when you were a foal. Eyes full of curiousity and wonder. You still have that look now. That's what sets you apart from the others Scootaloo. You see the world in a way that only a select few can. And I love that about you. But you really need to forgive Rainbow Dash. She never meant to hurt you. Go to her. Your destinies have been entwined." Serene Winds said, her voice drifitng off. Scootaloo's mother got up and looked down at the awed filly.

"Always remember that I love you. This is the last time that we can see each other. I have something for you. To assure you that this was real." Serene Winds said, as she pulled out a picture of Scootaloo and her mother. It was the one when they went to Manehatten and took a picture of themselves on the tallest skyscraper. In it, they were smiling. Dawnfire, Scootaloo, and Serene Winds were all standing there, happiness and joy shone through their eyes. But this picture had been burned along with all the rest of the pictures. Scootaloo watched as Serene Winds put the picture in with a bunch of other pictures in her mother's favorite album. That album had been burned in the house fire so long ago. Serene Winds gave the album to the little filly, who looked at it with a child's wonder.

"I love you... with all my heart and soul. In this album, I give you my everlasting love." Serene winds said. Scootaloo looked up to find that her mother was nowhere to be seen.

* * * * * *

Scootaloo jerked awake and sat up, gasping for breath as she took in her surroundings. She was inside of her room, beside her father. He was asleep as well, snoring softly to himself. She looked down and gasped at what she saw. There, before her mortal eyes, was the album and the letter that her mother had given to her before she died the next morning. Scootaloo opened the letter with shaky hooves and began to softly read to herself, careful not to awaken her father.

To My dearest Scootaloo.

You have grown up so fast in the short time that I had to spend with you. Times may seem grim at the moment but always remember that, even after I'm gone, I will always look out for you and protect you. I watched you grow up from the small foal to the brave filly you are today. It just saddens me that I won't be able to see you get married or have kids. But always remember that, even in the darkest of times, I will be there to sing you our song. You may not be able to hear it but I hope you can feel it. By the time you read this letter, I will have passed on to greener pastures. Although, it would never be a true paradise without you or your father in it. In this letter, I express you my love. My everlasting love.

Yours truly, Serene Winds

Scootaloo smiled, a tear trickling down her cheek. How this had come into her posession she would never know. But she couldn't be any happier. She looked up from the letter and said, "Looks like I'm going to go see Rainbow Dash" Scootaloo wasn't looking forward to talking to the blue pegasus but if they shared a bond as strong as the one her mother had described, then she was determined to get their relationship back up to the way it was before. With that, Scootaloo got up and headed downstairs and out into the morning sunshine. Apparently they had slept all through the night. Even now, she could still remember the dream in its entirety. Most importantly, she remembered her mother. Scootaloo tucked the letter and album into her saddle bag and set off to find Rainbow Dash.