• Published 17th Jun 2013
  • 1,197 Views, 33 Comments

Diary of a dragon - Don Pony



Spike decided to write a diary revealing all his thoughts and secrets.

  • ...
1
 33
 1,197

Chapter 5

Dear diary:
I woke up early today and went for breakfast. Twilight was there in the living room doing some research about... I don't know. I don't even care anymore, she can go and be best friend with Pinkie Pie... well I do care. It's just that she's been with me since I was born, I think I'm losing all I had.

When I finished breakfast I went to the special headquarters to reunite with the investigation team, but there was just one pony there: Scootaloo. She told me that both Sweetie Belle and Applebloom would spend time with their families, Scoo was there just to clean up the place. I wanted to head back home, but she looked sad and I felt bad for her, so I stayed for a while. We ware just chatting and making fun of how weird things had turned with the two other members, suddenly she became silent and asked me "Now that you see how things turned out, would you want to reach out the truth?" hard question. Considering the situation, Twilight doesn't really care about me, but even if my parents are... gone I would really like to know. My answer was yes, what she said was actually kind of profound and I'll try to write exactly as she said or at least as close. She said "All of you have it easy. Even if the truth is sad, you can still live with your family and your life continues. But me, I got nothing. The only pony who I can ask can leave if she doesn't want to tell me or decide to don't be with me anymore. I could lose the closest and only thing I got for a family. I do want to know about my parents, but I don't know if by knowing the truth I'll get them back. Should I risk it all?".

I felt a lump on my throat. I never thought on that possibility for her. I was speechless, she just stared the ground feeling even worse. Then words came out of my lips without noticing, I said the first things that came into my mind "Perhaps knowing the truth won't get you any closer to your parents, but it might get you closer to who you really ARE"... I gotta be honest diary, I have no idea what that means, I don't even know why did I say it. The words just came to my head and before knowing I was speaking. Apparently my words had effect on her as she cleaned her tears and said I was right and thank me. I'm not sure how did I help, but it feels good to do the right thing sometimes... even if you don't know what you did. Then she asked me about the letter I was going to write to Princess Celestia. To be honest, I hadn't feel brave enough to write it (yeah, I know, I'm a hypocrite) it does kind of scare me what she will say. I told her I hadn't the time to do it, I was lying and it was obvious. Scoo just told me "Just remember Spike, it might get you closer to who you really are" I hate when ponies tell me what I told them, Twilight does it all the time. Suddenly, we were interrupted. Cheerilee found the headquarters and was asking if Scootaloo could go with her. She ran towards Cheerilee, I had to closed the headquarters and went on my way.

I went around Ponyville thinking on to write or not to write the letter to Celestia. Things were really sad for the other two members but ended up rather happy, if I'm lucky enough things may go good for me too. But then, I ran into one of the ponies I really didn't want to see: Pinkie Pie. I actually like Pinkie Pie, but she's been causing problems lately... at least to me. Once again she noticed I was worried about something, she grabbed my tail with her mouth and pulled me around. Because she walk/bounce I hit the ground a few times until we reached the Sugarcube Corner. She made some hot chocolate and served me a slice of cake. Then she asked me what was going on. As I did before I told her there was nothing wrong, then she said she wanted to be closer to me and wanted me to trust her, that I can tell her everything. What's with the sudden interest anyway? I couldn't tell her "you are the one breaking my little family apart" well it wasn't a full family in the first place. I had to came up with something, so I told her half the truth. I told her that I was growing up and I wanted to know a bit more about myself, but my research went nowhere and I still have no idea, she then asked me why didn't I asked Twilight about it as if it was that simple, she knew as much as I do. Pinkie told me she didn't how to help but if there was something she could do for me I could always go with her. Why is Pinkie trying to be closer while Twilight is not even trying? I accepted Pinkie's request, finished my chocolate and headed back home.

Back at home Twilight was reshelving the books and asked to help her. Finally! After all this time I got back to my work as assistant, although I didn't speak much to her. I still feel a little heartbroken for all that happened between us. Neither did she say anything to me, it was just another work we were doing, just another silent work. It took us all day, but we finally finished reshelving the whole library. After that I just made me a sandwich and went to the basement, I had finally decided to write a letter to the Princess but I didn't want Twilight to know about it.

"Dear Princess Celestia:

It is me Spike the Dragon. I'm writing you for a special request I have. You see for quite some time I have been investigating about my origins and because of Ponyville not being my hometown, not even a place where dragons are common, my research had led me to a dead end.

I remembered that Twilight Sparkle entrance exam for the School for Gifted Unicorns was hatching an egg that was me. Because of that I'm writing this letter asking you if would be so kind to tell me, where did you get my egg from? Where and who are my parents? I believe knowing about my past will make the path of my future much brighter and finally know who I am.

I'm begging you Princess, I'm desperate, and I don't know who to turn to. I just want to know my family. I will be waiting for your answer.

Your humble subject
- Spike the Dragon"

I sent the letter with my dragon breath. It might take a while so I'll just hit the bed for now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The princess answer arrived a couple of ours after I sent it, faster than I expected. It says:

"Dear Spike:

As you might know, as Princess of Equestria I am concerned about all my subjects well being and whatever I could do I am more than happy to help. However, the answer of your questions may not be what you were expecting. First, I think I should explain about the entrance exam. The truth is no pony had successfully made the dragon's egg hatch except for my faithful student, the three ponies that observe the process actually take notes about the amount of magic used, the determination of the pony and creativity, among other things. That's why you don't see other ponies with baby dragons around.

Now, I'll explain about your case in particular. There are a few dragon families who worship along the Kingdom and are glad to help in whatever we ask, they sometimes agree to lend an egg when we need some for the entrance exams, but yours is a special case. During the dragon migrations sometimes eggs are forgotten or left, we usually take care of them and wait until the families come back for them. We found your egg near the volcano and we took care of it until your parents came back, but for days and days no one came for it. I asked some specialists to analyse it in order to know what kind of specie of dragon you were and thus look for your family, however yours is a specie still unknown by anypony. You are a unique kind of dragon.

After some misunderstanding your egg got selected for the entrance exam, and as you know, Twilight hatched you. We didn't know what to do, we weren't prepared nor had personal to attend a baby dragon needs. Then Twilight asked if she could take care of you, to be honest I had my doubts and wasn't sure if she would be ready for the task. But as she was going to be my private student and her heart being pure I decided she could keep you.

I'm sorry if this information wasn't as useful as you might thought but if there is another way I could help you, please by all means ask me. And about your family, I wouldn't look too far if I were you.

Your's truly
- Princess Celestia of Equestria."

Great. JUST GREAT! So my family doesn't even wanted me. They didn't even look for me. I'm unique? Well I guess I am. I'm the only dragon who isn't even liked by ponies nor dragons.
I don't know what to do anymore. Nopony want me around. Why did I have to be born a dragon?!

Author's Note:

Feel bad for Spike?... Yeah so do I.
Quick announcement:
Well the end is neigh, but I'm looking for artists who would like to draw a cover for this story and the other one I'm working on (The Magic of Laughter). I can't pay you (I'm kinda low on bits) but I can advertise your art.