• Published 17th Jun 2013
  • 2,403 Views, 28 Comments

Life's Little Fortune Cookies - The DJ Rainbow Dash



Everyday life can seem boring to some ponies. Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle don't seem to have this issue since they became a couple. Here are some reasons why. A collection of short, standalone mini stories.

  • ...
13
 28
 2,403

Sunsets

Life's Little Fortune Cookies
Chapter 2
Sunsets

Rainbow Dash used to be a pony who didn’t know how to enjoy the simple things in life. Instead, she wanted a life full of action and adventure, one which had no time for stopping, and one that definitely didn’t involve sitting around in one place too long. In short, Rainbow could have been called an adrenaline junkie.

Which is why her current activity just showed how much the pegasus had changed over such a short amount of time.
Here she was, sitting on the top of one of the gentle rolling hills on the outskirts of Ponyville, watching the sunset.

Such a mundane activity would usually be something she never would consider doing, not until she found somebody to enjoy it with. For Rainbow did truly enjoy sunsets, but never had a pony who would watch them with her. This could partially be blamed on the pegasus for never asking anypony to accompany her, as she never wanted to admit to her friends that she enjoyed sunsets for some reason. Rainbow associated sunsets with being uncool, and a pony as awesome as herself would never do something uncool.

But having Twilight’s body snuggled up to her own while watching the sunset?

That was extremely cool… and awesome.

Rainbow watched as the sky turned from its normal bluish color to that of a palette of different colors, ranging from oranges and yellows, to purples and even some pink mixed in. She admired how this would happen every day, and watched with amazed eyes as the sun slowly sunk into the horizon while Luna began to prepare the night’s arrival.

Twilight had attempted to explain how sunsets work the first time they had watched one together, but with all her fancy scientific knowledge, Rainbow didn’t understand the majority of what the unicorn said, nor did she even know most of the words Twilight was using. Since then, the duo preferred to watch in mutual silence, letting the wondrous sight in front of them do all the talking.

Rainbow was curious about something however…

“Hey Twi?”

The unicorn raised her head off Rainbow’s lower neck, which she had been lying on while watching the event unfold. “Yes Rainbow?”

“Why are sunsets so relaxing?”

“To be honest, I don’t really know,” Twilight responded. “Perhaps it’s all the warm colors that a sunset has.”

“Orange and yellow are warm colors right?” Rainbow gestured towards certain spots in the sky that reflected this color.

“Yes, and pink also to an extent,” Twilight added, Pinkie Pie immediately coming to mind with the mention of the color pink. Rainbow had identical thoughts about the color as well.

“Purple is a cold color though isn’t it?” Rainbow remarked, earning a bit of a glare from the violet unicorn. “And just what is that supposed to mean?”

“Umm… well I didn’t mean it like that…”

“Relax I’m only teasing you,” Twilight interrupted, chuckling at how gullible her marefriend could be sometimes. “Besides, I think purple is better referred to as a cool color. And we know just how much you like cool colors, right Dashie?”

It was Rainbow’s turn to laugh, both at how gullible she could be, and also at Twilight’s use of the word cool, which wasn’t usually part of the unicorn’s vocabulary. “I suppose, but I think blue is much cooler than purple.”

Oh? How so?”

“Well, blue is the color of oceans and the sky, both of which are extremely important,” Rainbow argued playfully.

“But purple is a color of royalty, and has been since prehistoric days. Back thousands of years ago, purple dye was considered very rare and held to the utmost value, thus becoming a commodity of the very rich and powerful,” Twilight countered, making sure to use her wide array of knowledge on the subject.

“So… blue is the most popular color!”

Twilight raised an eyebrow at the claim. She knew there was no way Rainbow could back up such a statement “… And how did you figure that one out?”

“Back in Cloudsdale, my fight class chosen blue as the most popular color,” Rainbow explained, now grasping at straws to try and win the argument.

“And how big was this said class?” Twilight squinted her eyes at Rainbow, watching as the pegasus searched for answers, and realizing that she was being backed into a corner.

“Around 30 ponies I’d guess.”

“So let me get this straight, you decided to generalize a group of 30 ponies’ opinions as being the same for all of Equestria, which is populated by millions of ponies. How does that make sense?” Twilight had her head cocked to the side now while she looked at Rainbow, who started to have a defeated look plastered on her face.

“Well… I uhh… You’re advocating for a color that isn’t even you skin tone. Purple and lavender are two different colors!”
Twilight groaned, facehoofing herself. “And this is coming from the cyan pegasus? From anything that I have read… cyan is not blue. Lavender is actually in the purple color family.”

Rainbow stood up and stomped her hoof on the ground in annoyance. “Lavender is lavender! It isn’t purple!”

“It is so, my books say so,” Twilight corrected.

“Is not, books don’t make it automatically right.”

“Rainbow this was in an encyclopedia, of course it’s true! Those types of books are all facts!” Twilight retorted, getting a bit peeved at the pegasus for now turning the argument towards something Twilight knew more about that just about anypony in Ponyville.

“Are not!”

“Are so!”

“Are not!”

“Are so!”

“… Well at least lavender is a sexy color.”

Both of them halted in their tracks at Rainbow’s out of left field remark, and at nearly the same instant, both ponies erupted into hysterical laughter at the ridiculousness of the argument at hand.

“That is definitely true,” Twilight answered, blushing a bit at the comment. “Cyan is a pretty sexy color in its own right.”
“Why thank you my beautiful,” Rainbow responded, imitating what seemed to be something out of royalty. Twilight merely chuckled and shook her head.

The pair turned their heads towards what was remaining of the sunset they had been watching earlier on, and were both amazed to see that the sunset now consisted of only two colors… blue and purple.

“Well, this is a fitting end to the day isn’t it?” Twilight remarked, laying her head against Rainbow’s shoulder.

“It sure is.”