• Published 25th Dec 2013
  • 4,201 Views, 212 Comments

Magical Pony Lyrical Twilight StrikerS - PurpleProse



MPLT's Third Season. Interdimensional Conflict and Intrigue! New Heroes, New Dangers, Bigger Lasers

  • ...
8
 212
 4,201

7: Analysis

Hidden Laboratory

Undisclosed Location

“Doctor, are you there?”

“Hmm?“ Jail Scaglietti opened his eyes, his head still reclining against the headrest of his rather large chair. His nostrils flared as he breathed out, his gaze still fixed mostly on the ceiling above. “I’m always here, Uno.” He reached up, pushing some stray strands of hair out of his eyes. “What is it?”

“Miss Lutecia has sent some images her summoned creatures have captured. I think you should look at them.”

“Oh? Excellent.” He slowly sat up, popping his neck before holding up one hand before him. His black-gloved left hand twitched, the golden pentagon on the back of his glove flickering as he brought up the images. They were all birds-eye views, but they were quite clear and sharply detailed thanks to the summoned insect’s piercing vision.

He smiled as he inspected the shots. “The Alicorn Ace,” he murmured, a gloved finger tapping his cheek as he cycled through the hovering holographic pictures. “Both children of Project F… the little priestess of Alzas… and even one of the last Project Zero prototypes? My, my, it certainly seems our little police boy has gathered himself quite an interesting little menagerie. Don’t you agree, Uno?”

Uno nodded from her hovering monitor. “Yes, Doctor. They really are most interesting. Should we attempt to interfere?”

Jail shook his head. “No. Continue gathering data. Let them run for a little while. I want to see how this will turn out.”

“As you wish, Doctor.”

“Mm…” Jail rubbed his chin. “I’ll have to thank Miss Lutecia for her gift. Perhaps a lovely little tea party. Wouldn‘t that be nice, Uno?”

The woman shrugged. “I really can’t say, Doctor. I’m not particularly fond of such things.”

Jail sighed gently. As much as he adored his number one assistant, she could be awfully analytical sometimes. “I’m sure she’d appreciate it. I’ll have to check our provisions to see if we have the appropriate supplies for our little tea party. Please send Miss Lutecia my regards.”

“Of course, Doctor.”

Jail nodded, then leaned back in his chair, his golden eyes fixed on the images before him.

“Yes. Let them go about their business,” he chuckled softly under his breath. “I’m curious to see the results myself…”

---

Longinus Archway Military Training Facility (Long Arch)

Cranagan, Mid-Childa

“Well, I have to admit, that turned out surprisingly well,” Yuuno noted, stretching his arms as he, Fate and Twilight approached the base’s main building.

Fate nodded in agreement, glancing over towards her older sister. The purple mare looked a little worn out; her ears drooped ever-so-slightly, and her gait wasn’t quite as jaunty. “Tired, Twilight?”

“Maybe. I guess I’m just a little out of shape,” Twilight grinned sheepishly. “It’s been a while since I’ve had a proper fight like that. Not to mention I’m not used to these limiters quite yet…”

“I did tell you to practice more often,” Fate smiled serenely.

“I know, but the world of academia isn’t exactly brimming with opportunities to shoot things, no matter how irritating one’s colleagues can be.” Twilight rolled her eyes as Yuuno chuckled. “And I don’t think that Princess Celestia would be pleased if I used interns as target practice.”

“Still, the Trainees put on a good show,” Fate noted.

“Oh, there’s no denying that. They actually managed to even it up before that final round. Even then, it was pretty close.” Twilight smiled. “I’m just glad it’s all recorded. It’s going to make a doozy of a review…”

Fate began to reply when Bardiche let out a soft chime. “MASTER,” he announced, “INCOMING TRANSMISSION.”

“Put it through,” Fate replied.

There was a soft hum as a holographic view screen winked into existence before her. Griffith looked at her from the screen, one finger pushing his glasses up. “I hope I’m not interrupting, Captain Testarossa-Sparkle.”

“No, you’re fine Griffith. What is it?”

“There’s a visitor waiting for you from Equestria. He said it‘s quite urgent.”

“Someone from Equestria?” Yuuno leaned in to peek at the image. “Military?”

“He identified himself as such, yes. Apparently he has a delivery for the Captain,” Griffith replied. “I’ve asked him to wait for you in the main lobby. I would have had him wait for you in the Captain’s office, but Captain Harlaown and I will be leaving for Cranagan shortly.”

“That’s fine Griffith. Thank you.” Fate smiled slightly as the image winked out. She glanced over at Twilight. “Do you want me to handle this? I’d imagine you have a debriefing to prep for…”

Twilight nodded. “I’ll probably just say hello before I go do my work. If it’s what I think it is, I’ll be seeing it soon enough.”

“Alright. What about you, Yuuno?”

“I think I’ll stick around, just for a bit.” Yuuno slipped his hands into his pockets. “Maybe it’s somepony I know.”

“Alright. Come on.” Fate trotted along quickly, heading through the front doors of the base’s main building. Her hooves clicked on the smooth, polished floor before she paused, spying their guest.

The visitor in question was a zebra. He was a lean, wiry-muscled stallion, built like somepony had constructed him out of copper tubes and metal cables. His coat and tail were dark gray, with pale gray stripes mixed in, while his muzzle and the tips of his ears the color of charcoal. His fetlocks were neatly trimmed, and his matte-black hooves spotless. His flank was decorated with a distinct cutie mark: an odd, S-shaped streak with a series of tilted Z’s descending from it. Despite being a zebra, he wore a Shadowbolt’s uniform; black jacket with violet and gold patches on the shoulders over a white shirt and black tie. His collar bore a single horizontal gold bar, marking him as a lieutenant. His stiff, solid black mane made his beret sit at an odd angle on his head, accentuating his pale, peridot-green eyes. His left nostril had an obvious scar, the long strip of bare pink flesh noticeable against his darker coat, while a few smaller, thinner scars marked the place where his jawbone met his neck.

“Lieutenant Radi,” Fate called, attracting his attention. The zebra drew himself to attention, moving from the bench he and his saddlebags were seated on.

Shikamuu, Nahodha Testarossa-Sparkle,” Radi replied briefly in his native tongue, his voice deep and slightly raspy.

Marahaba,” Fate returned the greeting, her accent faint but noticeable. “At ease, Radi. How are you?”

Nzuri, nzuri,” Radi then turned and nodded to Yuuno with a slightly more relaxed stance, though his gaze was still surprisingly intense. “Sasa, Mister Ferret. It is good to see your face again.”

Safi, Mister Scar-Nose,” Yuuno replied with a playful smile. “I have to admit, it’s a bit odd to see you so far from Equestria.”

“It is, yes,” Radi replied, his speech slightly stilted. “But when Mama ya Majira ya Baridi asks you to do a thing, you do not question it.”

“Does Princess Luna know you still refer to her as ‘Mother of Winter,’ Radi?” Yuuno chuckled as the zebra nodded and gave a snort.

“I was raised to respect the great ones, unlike you,” Radi then turned that fierce look at Fate. “Forgive my rudeness, Nahodha.”

“It’s alright Radi. There’s no need to be formal right now,” Fate waved a hoof gently, before gesturing to Twilight. “I assume you remember my sister Twilight, Radi?”

“Ah, yes.” Radi bowed his head politely. “Greetings to you, Miss Sparkle.”

“Er, hello Lieutenant. It’s nice to see you again.” Twilight smiled nervously as Radi looked at her. She cleared her throat softly, then nodded. “Um, I hope you’ll excuse me, but I’ve got some work to do. Debriefing and… stuff, you know?”

“Ah. Yes.” Radi’s tail swished. “Do not let me keep you.”

“Thank you. See in a while Fate, Yuuno.” Twilight nodded quickly, then trotted off.

Radi watched her leave. “Your sister still seems very… uncomfortable around me, Nahodha.”

“Don’t take it personally, Radi,” Fate replied gently. “She’s just not used to ponies as… intense as you.”

“Ah. Intense. I will remember to be less so.”

Fate shook her head gently. Radi was one of her most faithful Shadowbolt subordinates, and quite valuable for many reasons. He was professional, unflappable, and had absolutely no fear in him. All that came from being a former member of the Zebrican Vile Nyasi, the lonely warriors who roamed the sun-parched savannahs protecting travelers from predation.

However, while she valued his positive traits, he could be unnerving sometimes. It didn’t help that his default expression reminded Fate of Fluttershy’s Stare.

“I hope your trip was pleasant, at least,” Fate continued. “Did you find your way here without any problems?”

Radi nodded. “The human city is much like a pony one, but larger and filled with strange things. Most of the humans were curious about me, but that gave me little trouble.”

“I’d imagine,” Yuuno commented. “Most people don’t see ponies on a regular basis, much less zebras.”

“The uniform probably helped,” Fate added. “Will you be staying long, Radi?”

“Not unless you require it, Nahodha.” Radi quickly pulled his saddlebags over to him with his teeth, then expertly flipped them onto his back. “I was to deliver the package to you and you alone. It is a gift from Mama wa Majira ya Baridi to your sister’s dragon servant, and a most precious piece of cargo indeed.”

“Ah. In that case, we should probably take it down to Shari first.” Fate paused as Radi quirked an eyebrow. “Shari is the resident technician. From what I’ve heard, she’s been collaborating with Princess Luna. She‘ll probably want to see the package.”

“Ah. If that is what you wish Nahodha, then we shall indeed go and meet with this Shari.” Radi gestured with one hoof. “I shall follow.”

Fate nodded, then turned and began walking. Radi promptly fell into step with her, his gait steady and his ears flicking as he walked. Yuuno followed along on Fate’s opposite side, his hands still in his pockets.

“It’s been a while since I’ve been in Equestria,” Fate said as they walked. “Any news I might have missed?”

Radi grunted. “Nothing that you should be worried about, Nahodha.”

That made Fate frown. The last time you said something like that, I found you with a gaping torso wound standing over six very dead monsters. “Humor me, please.”

Radi frowned, but nodded. “Nothing but muttering. There has been much talk of your absence amongst the wajinga…”

“It’s impolite to talk about other guardsponies like that, Radi,” Fate gently chastised, causing the zebra to snort.

“I will call a fool a fool if he acts as one, Nahodha,” he grumped. “But that is passing breezes. There are some that say your presence here with the humans is a sign you are not to be trusted. They think you are disloyal to the Guard. That you are…” he paused, his ears flattening, “’not truly a pony.’”

Fate grimaced; that struck a bit close to home for her. The Princesses and her family had taken great care to hide the fact that she wasn’t originally from Equestria. There were only a hoof-full of individuals in Equestria who knew of her past, and she knew she could trust all of them. However, if that secret did get out, there would be uncomfortable questions; uncomfortable questions that would be very unpleasant given her rank and position.

“As I have said,” Radi continued, “they are fools to say so, Nahodha. If this is a thing you have decided you must do, then it must be done. I say to them, ‘Fate Testarossa-Sparkle is Captain for a reason, and you are not.’” Radi’s voice started to get hot, his eyes narrowing. “They say to me, ‘Radi, you are a fool.’ I say to them, ‘Fate Testarossa-Sparkle is my Nahodha. What she asks, I do. And you would be wise to-’”

“Thank you, Radi,” Fate interrupted gently, “but I think I understand.”

“Forgive me, Nahodha, but to hear you spoken of that way makes my blood hot. Were it not for you and Mister Ferret, my bones would be amongst the grass and my flesh in the bellies of vultures.”

“You’re welcome for that, by the way,” Yuuno commented idly.

“And you can be certain that many of us, your Shadowbolts, feel much the same Nahodha,” Radi concluded firmly.

Fate sighed and gave Radi a gentle smile. “Thank you. It means a lot to hear that.”

“There is no need to thank me. It is the truth.”

---

“Cent-Com Air Command, this is Bureau Transport Helicopter Riot Zero-One, approaching on route Blue-One-Niner. Transmitting IFF verification codes now.”

Chrono leaned against his seat as the helicopter approached the spire that was the Bureau‘s Central Command building, the rotors whirring softly as they flew. “Not a bad trip, don’t you think?” He glanced over to his fellow passenger.

“Indeed. And if nothing else, it certainly saves me the bus fare,” Trixie replied, the blue unicorn shifting idly in her seat. “Thank you for giving me a lift on your little visit, Captain.”

“It’s no problem, Trixie. We’re going in roughly the same direction anyway. You should be able to get to the main train station from HQ.”

“I know,” Trixie snorted. “I should return this evening with my assistants, once they’ve given their reports to Lady Carim.”

“Make sure to give the Director my regards as well,” Chrono replied. “It’s been a while since we last spoke face-to-face.”

“I didn’t know you and Lady Carim were that close, Captain,” Trixie teased.

“Hardly close,” Chrono rolled his eye, “but I’ve got nothing but respect for Director Gracia and the work her organization does. And if it weren’t for her support, we probably wouldn’t have gotten this unit off the ground.”

“Really?”

Chrono nodded. “It was thanks to her efforts that our little group got the approval of the Three Legends.”

“The Three Legends?” Trixie quirked an eyebrow.

“Honorary Marshal Kiel, Chief of Staff Crowbel, and Judicial Advisor Phils,” Griffith supplied, glancing over his shoulder at Trixie. “Unofficially, they’re the highest authorities in the Bureau outside of the Board of Directors. Whatever they say, goes.”

“Lady Carim’s got a lot more pull than I expected, then,” Trixie replied thoughtfully.

Chrono nodded, shifting in his seat as the helicopter banked gently, then came to a halt. It settled down onto the waiting helipad, a soft ‘thump’ announcing their landing as the rotors began to slow down.

“Alright everyone,” Vice announced as he pulled off his headset, “this is your pilot speaking. We thank you for flying Granscenic Airlines, and we hope you have a pleasant trip.”

“Thank you, Vice,” Chrono replied as he reached up and unbuckled the flight harness. Trixie and Griffith did the same. “This‘ll probably take a while. You know how these meetings are. You’re free to return to the base if you like; we can call you to pick us up.”

Vice shook his head and smirked. “I’m sure I can find something to occupy my time here, sir. Besides, having an escape route is always a good idea, even if all you’re dealing with is bureaucrats.”

“Wise words,” Chrono chuckled. “I’ll have to keep that in mind.”

Griffith clicked his tongue in mock-disapproval, then shook his head as he followed Chrono and Trixie out of the helicopter and over to the building proper.

The elevator doors hissed open as the trio stepped inside. “I’m still a bit curious as to why you had to come out here, Captain,” Trixie admitted.

“It’s one of the issues of being in command, Trixie,” Chrono sighed dramatically.

“Since RIOT Force is under the Capital Defense Corps’ jurisdiction, we’re obliged to attend the CDC’s weekly administrative meetings,” Griffith explained. “It’s mostly a formality, really.”

“Less a formality and more a requirement,” Chrono muttered. “We get to play Gais‘ captive audience for a while before we give our individual reports and requests. And if we don‘t show up, then there‘s hell to pay.”

“Ugh.” Trixie winced. “You have my sympathies, Chrono.”

There was a soft chime as the elevator slowed down, before the doors hissed open. A woman paused at the entrance to the elevator. She was tall, her short, sandy-brown hair neatly cut and styled. Her slim, oval glasses rested on her pert nose, guarding her deep-set blue eyes. Her expression was one of mild irritation as she stepped onto the elevator. Her blue uniform coat and skirt were neatly pressed. The white collar of her shirt bore a Major’s rank badge; a gold eight-pointed star set into a small silver bar. Her long legs were covered in pantyhose, and her feet were tucked into narrow, low-heeled leather shoes.

“Well,” the woman said as she stepped into the elevator, her heels clicking as she strode in, “you‘re early, Captain Harlaown.” The way she said it reminded Chrono of a particularly irritated schoolmarm. She glanced over at Trixie and arched a thin eyebrow as the doors hissed shut behind her.

“Trixie,” Chrono said placidly, gesturing to the blue mare, then over to the woman, “this is Major Auris Gais. Major, this is Trixie Lula-”

“I’m familiar with who she is, Captain Harlaown,” Auris interrupted as she stepped over and leaned against the side of the elevator, keeping Griffith between her and Trixie. One of her slender, well-manicured fingers pressed one of the floor buttons. “I’m simply surprised to see her here, that’s all. What business brings you here, Trixie?”

“Passing through,” Trixie replied brusquely.

“Trixie has business with her superiors in the Saint Church.” Chrono explained, smiling faintly at Auris’ discomfort. “I figured it’d only be polite that we give her a ride part-way to her destination. After all, it‘s quite a long trip to the Grand Cathedral.”

“I see,” Auris replied, fixing Chrono with a piercing stare. “Do you always use Bureau equipment to provide private transport for your subordinates, or is this just a special case, Captain?”

“It‘s a simple courtesy, Major,” Chrono replied. “And I‘m sure if you looked it up in the regs, you‘ll find there‘s nothing forbidding an officer from aiding a member of the Saint Church.”

Auris grunted softly, as if acknowledging his point. She glanced over at Trixie, her eyes narrowing slightly. Trixie met her eyes, then let out a soft ‘humph’ and turned her nose up at her.

There was a soft chime as the elevator came to a halt. Auris stood up fully, then nodded to Chrono. “I’m sure you can find your way to the meeting room, Captain Harlaown, once you‘ve handled your… other business.”

“Of course, Major,” Chrono saluted as Auris stepped off the elevator, the doors hissing shut behind her.

“Well,” Trixie growled, “she was a ball of sunshine and happiness, wasn’t she?”

“Yup,” Chrono replied, causing Griffith to sigh.

“I didn’t expect she’d get this antagonistic this quick, sir,” Griffith said.

“This is probably just the tip of the ice berg, Griffith,” Chrono replied.

“Is she really that important?” Trixie quirked an eyebrow.

“She’s Lieutenant General Gais’ personal assistant,” Chrono replied. “That makes her the old hawk’s right-hand woman.”

“And she shares his last name? What is she, some trophy wife he managed to get into a position of power?”

“Worse,” Griffith replied as Chrono stifled a chuckle, “she’s his daughter.”

“Ah. Unpleasantness must run in the family, then,” Trixie grimaced.

“I’m afraid the Major shares her superior’s distaste for both Equestrians and the Saint Church,” Chrono replied. “Don’t take it personally, Trixie.”

“Trixie never takes anything personally,” the blue mare replied with an offended snort. “Especially the prejudices of those who she is clearly far superior to.”

“Yeah,” Chrono replied, his good humor dissolving away, “just don’t let them hear you say something like that. Gais and his cronies aren’t being overt about it, but they’re looking for any reason to get RIOT Force in trouble, backers be damned. Let‘s not give them a reason.”

“I’ll keep that in mind then.”

“Please do,” Chrono replied as the elevator slowed and came to a halt with a chime. “Looks like this is our stop. Griffith, would you mind escorting Trixie out of the building? Last thing we need is someone giving her problems because she’s unattended.”

“I’ll see to it, Sir,” Griffith replied.

“Thanks.” Chrono smirked, giving a wave to Trixie as he stepped off the elevator. “Have fun on the train, Trixie.”

“Have fun at your meeting, Captain,” Trixie replied with a similar smirk as the doors hissed shut.

Chrono rolled his good eye, then sighed and set off to the meeting room.

---

Turkey again, Teana thought to herself as she eyed her sandwich. Does the commissary only have turkey sandwiches, or do I just get there after they‘re picked clean?

She shook her head and took a bite out of the sandwich in question, a bit of liberally applied mustard leaking out from around the edges. She shifted the concrete stair she was seated on, chewing away as she stared out into the distance. The bay glittered under the summer sun, casting silvery waves along the blue surface of the water. Really quite pretty, all things considered.

It was also blessedly quiet, which was another good thing about eating alone. It gave her a chance to think. She bit another chunk out of her sandwich, then leaned forward and rested her elbows on her knees.

Her mind was restless as she quietly played through the events of that morning, poking through the memories to find holes in how she’d handled things. It was a habit of hers after training sessions; questioning her strategies and second-guessing her actions..

Right… let’s ignore forgetting about contacting HQ, she thought to herself, swallowing the rather mustard-laden mouthful of sandwich. What were the major flaws? What were our weaknesses? Our weak-points? What did Special Instructor Sparkle exploit to get the upper hand?

It was a familiar mental list, one that she’d been quietly adding to over the past week. Subaru’s weaknesses were obvious, and many of them were shared by Scootaloo: impetuousness, reckless aggression, reliance on direct assaults, and an unfortunate tendency to ignore strategizing. The others, by comparison, were quite refreshing. Erio was the best of the lot, balancing adhering to orders with taking his own initiative. Caro’s reluctance to fight was balanced by her skill at support magic, which made her an excellent asset. Spike, meanwhile, lacked mobility and flexibility, but was a defensive power-house. If anything, it was HER squad that was the weaker of the two.

And of the three of us, she thought morosely, I’m probably the weakest of the three in terms of power and mobility. Even with my illusion magic I still have to play catch-up. As much as I hate to say it, Scootaloo and Subaru complement each other well. I’m the odd one out…

“Stupid pony,” she muttered to herself. She glanced up as she heard footsteps behind her, but sighed heavily. “Look, Subaru, I‘m not really in the mood right now,” she began.

“Good thing I’m not Subaru, then,” a different voice interrupted.

Teana glanced back as Spike approached, the purple dragon’s hands full of plastic wrapped sandwiches like the one Teana was snacking on. “Mind if I join you?”

“Would it change anything if I said no?”

“Not really.” Spike waddled over and plopped down beside her, unwrapping one sandwich and biting it clean in half.

Teana grimaced slightly, then turned and looked straight ahead. “Not much for table manners, I guess?”

“Eh, it’s not like there’s anybody around to judge,” Spike replied around the remains of the sandwich. He swallowed noisily. “These’re kind of bland…”

“Mustard usually helps,” Teana replied, trying to sound casual.

“Cool. Got any?”

“No.”

“Shoot,” Spike grumbled softly. Teana risked a glance back at him as he unwrapped another sandwich. He glanced at her in return, then offered the sandwich.

Teana waved it off. “I’m fine.”

“Mmf. More for me, then.” Spike tore off a huge chunk of the sandwich and chewed quietly.

Teana shook her head, then resumed eating her own lunch. Maybe if I ignore him, he’ll…

“So,” Spike interrupted her train of thought, “I kinda noticed something.”

“Mm?”

“Yeah,” Spike shifted himself, leaning against the dark metal handrail running up the middle of the stairs and looking at her. “Though it wasn‘t exactly hard to miss.”

“What?”

“Something‘s eating at you.”

Teana grimaced, turning to face him fully. “Maybe I just prefer eating alone. Ever think about that?”

“And you could do that just fine without leaving the mess hall,” Spike countered. “But it seems whenever you get all grumpy you grab a sandwich or two and leave without saying a word to anybody. So what’s the deal?”

“The deal? There is no-”

Spike held up a hand. “Yeah, stop right there. I’ve spent half my life growing up around six mares with varying degrees of issues. I may not study it like Twilight does, but I think I can tell when someone’s having a friendship problem.”

Teana snorted. “A ’friendship problem?’”

“Yeah, a friendship problem. So,” Spike picked up another sandwich and unwrapped it, “wanna talk?”

“There’s nothing to talk about,” Teana replied, sounding a bit more defensive than she liked.

“Uh huh. Sure.”

Teana grumbled under her breath. “Look, it’s none of your business, alright? I just like having some alone time. Is that really so much to ask for?”

“So it’s got nothing to do with Scootaloo and Subaru hanging out together?”

Teana froze, then coughed and glanced away. “Don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I saw the look you gave them when they sat together and started chatting,” Spike replied. “I’m surprised it didn’t set the table on fire.”

Teana grimaced. “Subaru… Subaru can hang out with whoever she likes. As long as it doesn’t interfere with the training or our squad dynamics, I don’t care.”

Spike quirked an eye ridge at her.

Teana glared at him. “Seriously. I. Don’t. Care. Not one little bit. At all.” She crossed her arms before her and leaned forward. “Not at all…”

“Well, that’s good. They do seem to be getting along pretty well.”

Teana’s hands clenched.

“I mean,” Spike continued, seemingly unmindful of her reaction as he devoured another sandwich, “they spend all that time together with the special training and stuff. Plus, they’ve got a lot in common together. And not just in terms of their skill sets.”

Teana felt her eye start to twitch.

“I mean, sure, Scootaloo’s all brash and rude and stuff, but that’s not much different from you-”

Spike paused as Teana glared at him. “Sorry,” he deadpanned, “did I hit a nerve?”

“You know,” Teana replied stiffly, “if this is your way of solving ‘friendship problems,’ then you really need to re-think your methodology.”

“And you need some counseling,” Spike replied. “What’s your deal with Scootaloo anyway?”

“It should be obvious,” Teana growled. “She’s a brat. She’s disrespectful, she’s hot-headed, she insults everyone-”

“Mostly you,” Spike corrected. Teana inhaled slowly and closed her eyes.

“Yes, mostly me. And I’ll admit, I’m not the easiest person to be around.” She then pointed a finger at Spike. “But I’m at least trying to be civil. Besides, she‘s the one who started this whole… feud, fight, whatever you want to call it. Not me. I’m not the one at fault.”

“So…” Spike tilted his head as Teana huffed.

“So she’s the one that needs to make up to me,” Teana continued, pointing at herself. “Really, just because she and Subaru are all buddy-buddy doesn’t mean I have to accept her. She doesn‘t deserve someone like Subaru.”

Teana paused as Spike smirked. “What? What’s so funny?”

“You’re jealous.”

Teana’s cheeks turned pink, then red as she got to her feet. “I don’t have to put up with this.”

“You are! You’re actually jealous that Subaru and Scootaloo are getting along!”

“Shut up! That’s not it at all!”

“Then wh- hey!”

Teana stalked off, doing her best to tune out Spike’s shouts.

I am NOT jealous of a pony, she thought to herself. I’m especially not jealous of some stupid, foul-mouthed little pegasus brat. Subaru is my friend. Doesn’t matter how chummy she and that orange chicken get, she’s MY friend. Not Scootaloo’s.

And yet, part of her couldn’t shake the feeling that that wasn’t quite the case.

---

“It’s…” Shari whispered in wonder as she inspected the Device suspended before her, “it’s beautiful…”

Fate smiled faintly at Shari’s expression. She’d expected Shari to gush over the Device Radi had delivered, and she wasn’t disappointed. The Device hovered in a suspension field over Shari’s workbench, while the young Device Meister pored over it with a variety of analytical tools.

The Device in question looked relatively simple: it was a large, deep green jewel set into a belt-buckle. It was the design, however, that caught Fate’s eye. The jewel was carved into an elegant, double-crown heart cut, the facets catching the light and holding it in its depths. The gem was set into a large golden clasp, resembling an abstract draconic head as viewed from straight ahead. A long loop of violet leather emerged from behind it, smooth and unbroken.

“It really is a work of art,” Yuuno agreed, the archeologist leaning in to look at the Device.

“You don’t understand,” Shari said in a hushed voice, a large, jeweler’s-loupe like device pressed to one of her eyes. “Princess Luna herself built this from Equestrian materials. This gem is a flawlessly cut Imperial Crystal, with… I’m guessing at least a Grade AA Bureau Purity Rating. And these cuts are utterly flawless. So precise! And to think, Princess Luna does all this without any machines or tools.” She reached up, slowly turning the Device about with one hand. “I’m not sure about this metal, though…”

“It’s called orichalcum,” Fate supplied. “It’s the same substance integrated into Raising Heart. It’s an extremely strong, magically conductive artificial metal. I’d imagine Teacher used it because of the uniqueness of Spike’s Linker Core.”

I think I’ll hold off on telling her how it’s made, Fate thought to herself. If I told her it was synthesized from pure sunlight, she’d probably have a fit…

“Mmm… yes, yes,” Shari replied distractedly as she inspected the buckle. “This is fascinating… I’ve never seen circuitry this fine before. Even by the standards of direct crystallization matrix circuitry, this is impressive. There’s so many interlocking redundancies the only way you’d be able to overload it is by hooking it up to a starship’s power core…”

“This one seems to know her craft, Nahodha,” Radi glanced over to Fate, his expression neutral, though his tail swished nervously.

“I’d hope so,” Shari replied, removing the eye-wear and returning her glasses to her nose. “I mean, Princess Luna is working with me… or I’m with her. I’m not sure…”

Radi snorted. “You will forgive my caution, young human,” he said calmly. “I did not mean to say you were not skilled.”

“Well, I may not have centuries of experience like Princess Luna does, but I’m not half bad,” Shari grinned, giving the zebra a thumbs-up. Her grin faltered, however, as Radi looked at her hand, then up at her. “Um…”

Radi looked at Fate, one eyebrow quirking.

Fate sighed. “That was a good gesture, Radi.”

“Ah,” the zebra nodded, then turned back to Shari. “Well then, Miss Shari, have you finished your inspection?”

“Uh… well, I suppose so. I mean, I could probably stare at this thing all day…” Shari sighed and carefully lifted the belt out of the suspension field, folding it back up and slipping it into the black box it originally came in. “I think I can probably give it clearance for use by Trainee Spike, though it’d probably be best to hold off on giving it to him until I finish the other Devices.”

“How long will that be?”

“Tomorrow at the latest.” Shari ruffled her hair. “The actual manufacturing’s already taken care of. All I need to do is a few checks on the programming once they arrive, and they’ll be ready for show time.”

“Excellent. Though really, I’m surprised you got them ready this quickly…”

Shari blushed. “Well, that’s the difference between Equestria and the Bureau, I guess. Thanks to advanced and efficient manufacturing methods, we’re able to produce quality Devices relatively quickly. Even custom designs like the ones I created only take a comparatively short time to produce.” She glanced longingly at the box containing Spike’s Device. “However, there’s something to be said about the old-fashioned way of doing things. Not a lot of Meisters hand-build Devices nowadays.”

Fate nodded. “I know what you mean.” She glanced down fondly at Bardiche’s golden triangle, first crafted by Linith, then refined by Luna. “Mass production is all well and good, but a Device that someone takes personal care to design and craft is more… meaningful, I suppose.”

Shari let out a soft ’aww,’ causing Fate to quirk an eyebrow. “S-sorry, Captain,” she stammered, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. “I just didn’t take you for the sentimental type…”

“It’s not something I typically indulge in,” Fate admitted as she re-holstered Bardiche. “But that’s beside the point. I’ll make sure to inform Twilight about this. Make sure to send a report to Captain Harlaown as well.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Shari saluted quickly.

“Well, that’s that taken care of,” Yuuno said smoothly, looking over at Fate and Radi. “We should probably get something to eat. I think we managed to avoid the rush, at least.”

“Would you mind joining us, Radi?” Fate glanced at the zebra.

Radi bit his lips thoughtfully. “If you wish it, Nahodha, I will join you and Mister Ferret…”

“If you’re uncomfortable,” Fate started to say, only for Radi to wave it off.

“It is not an issue of comfort, Nahodha. I simply do not wish to impose on you too much.”

“Radi, you’re not imposing,” Fate shook her head. “Please.”

“As you wish.”

“The only problem I see is that it‘ll have to be a quick lunch,” Yuuno added, scratching behind one ear. “The last thing we want is to be late to the training field. Still, at least we can feed you before you head out…”

Radi’s ears perked forward. “The training field? Hmm…” one hoof gently rubbed under his chin, “Tell me, is my little ndege still in this group, or has she gotten herself in further trouble?”

“Scootaloo’s still here,” Fate replied. “She’s actually doing well, despite a few hiccups here and there.”

The zebra nodded. “That is good. I would like to speak with her before I take my leave, if I may.”

“I’ll see what we can do,” Fate replied. “I guess I could ask Chrono if he doesn’t mind you observing this afternoon‘s session.”

“I would very much like that, Nahodha.”

---

Scootaloo grimaced, her eyes narrowed and her brow furrowed in concentration. A warm breeze tickled over her outstretched wings and sent the small gem dangling from her ear swinging.

Okay, she thought to herself. I can do this. I can do this. Just keep telling yourself that…

And with a huff of breath, she focused herself. She felt the tickle in the back of her skull as she accessed her Device, then channeled energy into it as she ran through the spell formulas. There was a soft chime as she felt the components of the spell ‘click’ together, the channels settling into place.

She opened her eyes as a deep purple Belkan triangle slowly rotated beneath her hooves. She then flexed her wings and raised one hoof.

“Wing! Road!”

She stomped hard as she finished the trigger phrases. There was a rush of power, just like before. A glittering purple haze spilled outwards instead of a solid ribbon of light and energy, extending out a few feet before dissolving into tiny wisps of fog.

Come on… She clenched her teeth, willing the energy to coalesce. Just form the rutting Wing Road already! Just once I’d like this stupid spell to work!

The haze, however, did not comply. It remained a fuzzy haze that began rapidly dissipating as her concentration fragmented.

“Rrrgh!” She stomped both hooves in irritation, breaking the spell as she did so. She spun about, turning to look at Twilight and Subaru. “I’m sick of this! What am I doing wrong?!”

“I’m still not sure myself,” Twilight admitted, looking at the readings on the hovering holographic monitors. “The energy readings look fine… Are you sure you cast it like we practiced?”

“Yes, I’m sure,” Scootaloo snapped, skating over towards the two of them. “I memorized it and everything! I even have it plugged into my ru-” She cut the curse short. “Into my Device.”

Twilight didn‘t comment on her tone, her attention more focused on the screen. “Then I’m not sure what the problem is. Of course, I expected there‘d be problems with the spell adaptation. We just need to keep working on it.”

Scootaloo sighed and took a seat on the shimmering ground beneath her, her eyes landing on her reflection. “We’ve been working on this since last week, and I still can’t get it right…”

“Hey, it’s okay. Don‘t worry about it.”

Scootaloo looked up as Subaru skated over to her, then crouched down. “The important thing is you haven’t given up, right? Come on Scoots. Maybe you’ll get it this next time.”

Scootaloo looked at her teammate with a quirked eyebrow. The human mage was looking at her with a smile, though her blue eyes held a hint of concern.

“Yeah, sure,” Scootaloo replied gruffly, breaking away and looking to the side. “Right…”

“Come on Scoots, don’t be like that. I know you can do it! What do you say?”

Scootaloo risked a glance at Subaru, then grimaced as she saw Subaru’s grin. There it was again; that seemingly unflappable confidence and boundless optimism. The second Scootaloo showed even the slightest hint of faltering, Subaru was there to urge her on.

It was like looking at some of her fillyhood pictures. She was pretty sure she’d had a similar grin when she was still with the Crusaders.

“Rrrgh… fine.” Scootaloo got to her hooves and flicked her tail. “Let’s try it again…” She then rolled her eyes as Subaru did a little fist pump.

“Alright then,” Twilight called over to them, the monitors hovering around her as she approached. “If you two don’t mind, I’d like you to both cast the spell at the same time. A side-by-side comparison should help…”

“Right.” Subaru punched her gauntleted right hand into her left. “I’ll let you take the lead Scoots.”

“Uh, sure…” Scootaloo inhaled, then focused again. “On three.”

Subaru nodded, then drew her fist back.

“One.” Scootaloo focused herself, pushing energy into her Device.

“Two.” A pair of Belkan triangles formed beneath them; blue for Subaru, purple for Scootaloo.

“Three!” Scootaloo raised her hoof.

“Wing! Road!”

There was a roar as Subaru’s spell unfurled, a long road-like ribbon of light spilling skyward. Scootaloo, meanwhile, found her hooves surrounded by purple haze again.

“See?” Scootaloo glared irritably at the hazy trail of fog, then over at Subaru. “It’s just like all the other times I tried it before. Why isn’t it, you know, solidifying?”

“Uh,” Subaru frowned, causing Scootaloo to sigh.

“Yeah, I thought as much…”

“Wait Scootaloo,” Twilight replied quickly, her horn glowing as she typed on a hovering hard-light keyboard. “Just… wait.”

“Huh? What gives… uh, ma’am?” Scootaloo glanced back at the unicorn. Twilight’s eyes were flicking over the monitor, right before they widened in realization.

“Scootaloo,” Twilight replied, “I want you to try skating up the Wing Road you just created.”

“What?” Scootaloo glanced at the haze, then back at Twilight. “You’re kidding, right?”

“No, I’m not. Just trust me, okay?”

“Alright…” Scootaloo turned back, then inhaled and skated forward slowly.

Her skate wheels dipped down into the haze. And then, they started curving upwards. Scootaloo froze, her eyes going a bit wide.

“It’s… it’s working?!”

“Come on Scootaloo,” Subaru urged, punching the air encouragingly. “Keep going!”

Scootaloo slowly skated further up the hazy ramp, slowly rising off the ground as she went. She soon came to a stop at the end of the fog bank, hovering ten feet off the ground. “Okay, what gives? I thought the spell wasn‘t working.”

“No, it’s working,” Twilight replied, her eyes lighting up. “But not the way we thought it would!”

“Uh,” Scootaloo glanced down at them. “Say what? The spell’s supposed to make a road, not… you know,” she stomped on the hazy fog bank, “this.”

“And you’d be correct. However, there’s a distinct difference; specifically, your Linker Core.”

Subaru slapped her forehead. “Pegasus magic! It’s focusing through her pegasus magic! Instead of a generating a fully-fledged mana construct it’s forming a suitable surface through Scootaloo’s natural nubekinesis!”

“Exactly!” Twilight was getting excited. “It’s not a Wing Road it’s a… a Cloud Road! All of Scootaloo’s spells are modified versions of traditional pegasus weather manipulation abilities. So it makes sense that she generates an nubekinetic construct using her magic!”

“So if we modulate the variables in the construct’s manifestation formula to account for the differences in density, she should be able to generate a Road with the same speed and range as mine?”

“Exactly right, Subaru!”

“Uh, that’s all well and good,” Scootaloo interjected, shuffling her hooves, “but I’m not sure how solid this thing is. Maybe I should get-”

And right about then, the cloud beneath her dissolved. Scootaloo let out a squawk and tumbled down, only to come to a stop as Subaru caught her.

“Gotcha!” Subaru grinned, then carefully set the pony down.

“Uh… thanks.” Scootaloo shook herself slightly. Sheesh… she didn’t even flinch when she caught me.

“Yeah, the stability’s going to need work,” Twilight noted. “But we’re on the right track now, at least.”

“Told you, Scoots,” Subaru grinned. “I told you it’d work!”

Scootaloo flushed slightly and flicked her tail. Despite herself, however, she started to smile at Subaru’s exultations. Just a small smile.

---

“And unless anyone has any further business,” Gais announced with a note of finality, “we can consider this meeting adjourned. Good day, gentlemen.”

Chrono tried not to let his relief show as he got to his feet, Griffith calmly putting the scattered papers and notes in order. The meeting had run long, as usual, as the older officers seemed more than content to chatter on about minutiae and minor issues with their budget proposals. Of course, Chrono kept his opinions to himself during the proceedings. He knew he was the most junior man at the table, and there was no need to rock the boat.

However, as much as he disliked the man, he had to admit Gais did keep order quite well. It was almost worth listening to his self-aggrandizing to watch him work. Almost.

Is there anything else we need to worry about, Griffith? He tried to look nonchalant as he contacted his executive officer telepathically.

Aside from lunch, you mean? Well, there’s the meeting with Major Nakajima.

Ah. Almost forgot about that. Let’s see if we can’t ditch the Lieutenant General…

I doubt it’ll be that easy, Griffith replied as he glanced toward the head of the table. Gais was approaching calmly, his aide Auris just behind him and standing at his right shoulder.

“Captain Harlaown,” Gais said gruffly, “may I have a word with you?”

“Of course, Sir,” Chrono replied as Griffith closed his briefcase.

“I noticed you had little to actually report during your section of the meeting…”

“Well sir,” Chrono replied smoothly, “We’ve only been in business for a little over a week. It’d make sense that I wouldn’t have much to report, Sir.”

“I see. At least your command isn‘t too strenuous, then.” Gais’ gaze lingered on his slung arm. “That’s good. And I assume the Equestrians aren’t giving you any trouble?”

“If they were, sir, you’d be the first to know,” Chrono assured him. “And before you ask, neither have the Altenritter.

Gais grunted. “Good to hear.” Chrono could have sworn he heard a little hint of disappointment in the Lieutenant General’s voice.

“I can assure you, sir, that everything is well in hand.” Chrono did his best to put on a friendly smile for the two of them.

“It’s good to hear that. I know that taking a command position like this is difficult, especially for someone as young as you are. You‘re welcome to contact me whenever you have an issue you can‘t deal with. After all, you‘re still new to this. Things can… happen.”

“I appreciate your concerns, sir,” Chrono replied, ignoring the implications of that last sentence “It’s nice to see that you’re putting aside your famous animosity for the Dimensional Navy for the time being.”

Gais smiled thinly, though his deep-set eyes narrowed. “You’ll find, Captain Harlaown, that my distaste for the Navy is sometimes a little… over-exaggerated.”

“I’m sure.” Chrono glanced over at Griffith as the lavender-haired man coughed softly, before he turned back to Gais. “I hope you’ll forgive me, Lieutenant General, but I really must be going. Business to attend to and such. I’m sure you’ll understand.”

“Of course, Captain Harlaown. I won’t keep you. Major?”

Auris nodded politely, then followed Gais as he stepped past Chrono and out of the room.

Ugh. Chrono’s lips twisted in distaste. Lay on the seniority, why don’t we? Well, at least we now know where we sit with him, don’t we Griffith?

Indeed, sir. Griffith adjusted his glasses as Chrono began walking, falling into step behind him. Though I have to wonder if he was actually being genuine about that offer…

I doubt it. Gais is a politician, Griffith. He wouldn’t have gotten this far if he didn’t know how to play the game. Chrono grimaced as he reached the elevator and pressed the call button. But if he thinks I‘m just going to come crawling to him when things go poorly, he‘s underestimating me.

Begging your pardon sir, but maybe you’re being a bit pessimistic?

Not really. If I come to him for anything, he’ll spin it to his advantage. That’s the way this sort of thing works. Either way, I’m not going to give him any satisfaction.

If you say so, sir. Griffith sighed audibly as the elevator arrived. The two of them stepped inside.

“Hopefully we should be able to get through the rest of this trip without too much trouble,” Chrono continued, dropping out of telepathy. “We still have that meeting with Major Nakajima, right?”

“Right, sir. I’ve already notified him that we’re on our way.”

---

“So, Captain Harlaown, I’m assuming it’s your treat this time?”

Chrono chuckled softly as he leaned back in his chair, looking at Major Genya Nakajima. Genya was an older man, his feathered hair and bushy eyebrows a steely gray. His skin was well-tanned, and his dark eyes were slightly almond shaped, which sat oddly with his long, lean face. His shoulders were broad and his frame was solid, but not excessively so. His brown Ground Forces uniform jacket was unbuttoned, and his yellow tie slightly loosened.

“Only if you’ll allow me, sir,” Chrono replied. “After all, my salary’s gone up just a little bit since I got put in charge of RIOT Force. I think I can afford to pick up the tab.”

“Welcome to the wonderful world of being in charge,” Genya replied with a chuckle. “Enjoying yourself?”

“Eh,” Chrono shrugged one shoulder. “It’s like my old job, but with more paperwork and fewer chances to hit people. Of course, now I have even more things to worry about. It’s… been an adjustment, to say the least.”

“I’d imagine,” Genya leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table, his fingers lacing together. “Going from working in the field to working behind a desk must be hell.”

“Like I said, fewer chances to hit people,” Chrono sighed dramatically, eliciting a snort of amusement from Griffith. “But I’ll admit, it’s nice to have a cozy office, instead of a ship berth or a work room stuffed with twenty desks.”

“Trust me, you’ll get used to the creature comforts in no time.”

“Excuse me, sirs,” the waiter asked politely. “Can I take your drink orders?”

Chrono put in his order, then turned back to Genya. “Though with all the stress I have to deal with, I’ll imagine I’ll be as gray as you by the time I’m thirty.”

“Careful, Mister Harlaown,” Genya chuckled. “You may get what you’re asking for.”

“Don’t worry. I’ve got Griffith here to make sure I don’t bite off more than I can chew. Right, Griffith?”

Griffith shrugged. “Not like you’d listen, sir.”

Chrono smirked, though his eyes quickly scanned over the restaurant. The lunch rush was mostly over, which meant it was easier to keep an eye out for suspicious individuals. Plus, it was a place frequented by personnel that worked at Central Command, so the staff were used to seeing people in uniform.

This would be easier if he was a mage, Chrono thought to himself as he scanned the menu. Then we could do this via telepathy.

The waiter returned with their drinks, took their orders, and left with their menus.

“So,” Chrono said softly, dropping his voice slightly as Griffith shifted in his chair, moving so that anyone trying to read Chrono’s lips from the side would have their view blocked, “I assume you’ve brought the information?”

Genya nodded and spoke quietly. “It’s all on the data-stick my coat pocket. I’ll hand it over when we start to leave. It’s not much, though.”

“Has there been any advances in the JS case?”

Genya sighed. “I’ve been making some inquiries to the other investigative battalions outside of Mid-Childa, but there hasn’t been a break in the case yet. You’d think between the Bureau and the Saint Church, we’d manage to find a lead on the bastard.”

“Trust me, it’s hard to find someone who doesn’t want to be found. Remember the Jewel Seed Case? Presea Testarossa had her own private asteroid in D-Space, and nobody even knew she was around until she started mucking around in Equestria.” Chrono took a sip of his water and grimaced. “Of course, Presea was being subtle in her own way.”

“That much is true,” Genya replied, pinching the bridge of his nose. “The thing is, I’m pretty sure this guy’s been behind at least a dozen labs that‘ve been shut down recently for illegal research. Unfortunately, the connection’s circumstantial at best. The labs were set up by shell companies and paid for by dummy accounts, and most of them were abandoned when the authorities came knocking.”

“Then how can you tell it’s him?” Chrono quirked an eyebrow.

“It’s all research he’s been involved in: illegal bio-manipulation, military cybernetics, mass-based weaponry development, Lost Logia research and so on. But like I said, it‘s all circumstantial. Aside from the fact that it‘s his area of expertise we can‘t actually pin it on him.” Genya grimaced. “What worries me is that those sorts of operations cost a lot to set up. Just furnishing those labs alone would cost a small fortune. Where’s he getting the resources to do all this? And more importantly, how’s he able to clean up after himself so damned quick?”

“I could think of a few ways,” Chrono said with a soft huff, then glanced up and tapped his lips as the waiter approached with their meals. He nodded to the waiter politely, right before the young man scurried off.

“You‘re talking about this mysterious ‘shadow cabal‘ inside the Bureau?” Genya muttered around his sandwich.

“It’d make sense,” Chrono replied. “What better way to avoid capture than by working with the very people that’re trying to catch you?”

“Hrm… it’s still a stretch, Chrono. Even after what you told me, it still sounds like a bunch of conspiracy-theory mumbo-jumbo. It‘s hard to wrap my head around.”

Chrono shook his head. “I don’t blame you. But at least you’re giving me the benefit of the doubt.”

“Only because I know you well enough. And because I know Gil Graham.” Genya grimaced in disgust.

Chrono grimaced at the mention of his now-disgraced mentor. “Let’s… talk about something else, why don’t we?”

“Sure. Now,” Genya smiled at Chrono, “How’s my youngest daughter doing so far?”

---

“Alright everyone,” Twilight announced, “we’ll be wrapping up today’s exercises with some individual sparring! Take about fifteen minutes to catch your breath and recover before we start.“

Subaru exhaled and plopped onto her rear, stretching out her legs and letting out a loud sigh. She bent forwards, her chest almost pressing into the ground as she stretched out, eyes half-closed Her rollerblades were beside her, the straps loose as they sat there. She could hear Scootaloo skating around behind her, the rolling of her skates almost drowning out her soft muttering.

And then a second set of footsteps caught her attention. She opened her eyes, only to find her vision filled with a familiar pair of shoes. She glanced upwards at their owner. “Hey, Tea.”

“Hey, Subaru,” Teana replied as Subaru sat back up. “Everything going alright?”

“Great!” Subaru grinned up at her friend. “Scootaloo’s really making good progress with our training…” She paused as Teana grimaced. “What’s the matter, Tea? Something bothering you?”

“No. I’m fine, Subaru.” Teana huffed. She slid a hand through her hair to wipe away some of the sweat, then cleaned her hand off on her pants. “Probably just the heat.”

“You’re getting plenty of water, right?”

“Of course. I’m not an idiot…”

Subaru smiled meekly. “Just making sure. I mean, the last thing you need is to get sick during training, right?”

“Right.” Teana paused and glanced off to the side, then took a step back. “What in the…”

“Huh? What’s up Tea?” Subaru followed Teana’s gaze, then blinked as she saw the black uniformed pony walking towards Scootaloo, accompanied by Captain Testarossa-Sparkle.

No, wait… not pony, Subaru amended as she saw the stripes and the tail, zebra! A zebra wearing Captain Testarossa-Sparkle’s uniform?

Scootaloo quickly noticed as well, her body going stiff as she saw him approach. The zebra broke away from Captain Testarossa-Sparkle, coming to a halt just a few steps away from Scootaloo. The pegasus quickly bowed her head in deference. The zebra snorted, his tail swishing as he reached up and gently patted her on the head with one hoof.

“Huh…” Subaru got to her feet, then picked up her rollerblades and slung them over one shoulder. “I guess they know each other…”

“I didn’t know Scootaloo had a visitor.” Teana folded her arms and furrowed her brow. “Though considering he’s wearing the same outfit Captain Testarossa-Sparkle wears, he must be from the same unit.”

Subaru smiled, then began walking towards them.

“Subaru!” Teana quickly jogged after her and grabbed her arm. “Where’re you going?”

“I’m going to go introduce myself.” Subaru continued walking, nonchalantly dragging Teana along even as the gunslinger dug her heels in. The other girl’s shoes squeaked softly on the smooth surface of the S4.

“Rrrgh! You idiot. What if it’s a private conversation? You shouldn’t just butt into other people’s business like that!”

“Well, if it’s private, then I’ll just leave them alone.” Subaru stopped and glanced at Teana. “What’s the harm in asking?”

“It may be best if you two give them a few moments.”

Subaru paused, glancing down at Fate as she spoke. “Y-yes ma’am,” she quickly responded, coming to attention as the golden unicorn approached.

Captain Testarossa-Sparkle smiled faintly. “I understand your eagerness to meet new ponies, Subaru, but this is a special case.”

“Um, if you don’t mind me asking, ma’am,” Teana interjected, gesturing towards Scootaloo and her companion, “but who is he?”

“His name is Radi. He’s one of my Shadowbolts… and one of Scootaloo’s mentors.”

“Mentors?” Teana and Subaru looked at each other as they spoke in unison.

Captain Testarossa-Sparkle nodded. “He helped instruct her in hoof-to-hoof combat. Where do you think she got all those acrobatic kicks from?”

“Oh,” Subaru nodded. “So, he taught her how to fight?”

“Yes. He tried to teach her some other things, but I‘m not sure they stuck…”

---

“You are doing well, ndege?

Scootaloo tried not to look too embarrassed. “Well… yes, sir. I guess so.”

Radi fixed her with those pale green eyes of his. Scootaloo tried not to look too nervous, but she knew it was hopeless. “You guess so, ndege?”

“Uh… well…” She huffed and scuffed one of her skate-clad hooves on the ground. One of the first things she’d learned about Radi was that it was nearly impossible to lie to him. Scootaloo was pretty sure he didn’t know any magic that let him sense lies, but nonetheless he seemed to look straight through her.

Or maybe she was just bad at lying.

“It’s… well, it’s complicated, sir.”

“Complicated?” The word was half-question, half-statement.

Scootaloo shuffled her hooves. She felt like a school-filly all over again. “Yes, sir. I mean… I’m trying my best, sir. But… well… sometimes I get… you know…”

“Ah. You are still my ndege,” Radi snorted in amusement.

Scootaloo blushed. Ndege. The word meant ‘little bird’ in Zebrican. Of course, Radi had explained why he called her that. It was short for the Zebrican idiom, ‘angry little bird in a big empty nest.’

“It’s not like that,” Scootaloo objected, starting to skate in a tight figure-eight in front of him “I mean, I’m trying to be nice… kinda. It’s just there’s this one person that just sets me off, you know? She reminds me of those jackasses from training camp. You know…”

“Yes, yes, I know.” Radi extended a hoof, neatly stopping her mid-way in her pacing. “You have many problems with such individuals, my ndege. This I know. But surely not all is such doom and gloom, yes?”

Scootaloo sighed. “Well… there is one person.”

Radi quirked an eyebrow in curiosity, waiting for her to continue.

“Her name’s Subaru. And… well, she’s trying to be my friend. Like, really, really trying. She’s never said anything mean about me, she’s always trying to be encouraging, and when I start getting snippy she tries to, y’know, keep me in line.”

“Mm.”

“But… I just don’t know.” Scootaloo sighed and dipped her head. “I want to like her. I want to trust her. But after everything with Hotshot and with what happened with Rainbow Dash… I’m not sure I can.”

“Have you meditated as I have taught you, ndege?”

Scootaloo blinked. “Huh? Well… uh…”

Radi snorted, his ears folding back. “You have not. It is no wonder your head is so clouded.”

“L-look, it’s not like I haven’t wanted to, you know. It’s just… well… all this.” Scootaloo swirled a hoof about in the air, gesturing all around. “I’ve been dealing with all this stuff. It’s kinda hard to sit down and zone out when you’ve got more important things to worry about…”

Radi just gave her a straight, level look, the sort that made Scootaloo want to jump off the S4 and into the bay.

Scootaloo swallowed. Why couldn’t he be more like Zecora? Zecora doesn’t do the whole ‘stare into your soul’ thing unless she’s pissed.

She sighed heavily, looking down at the ground. “I’m sorry, Radi. You’re probably regretting trying to teach me…”

“I am doing no such thing, ndege.

Scootaloo paused as he reached over and gently patted her on the head with one hoof. “You are young, ndege. The young do many things that are unwise. It is the job of the elders to help them see their foolishness… and make sure they do not hurt themselves overmuch. Even if Nahodha Testarossa-Sparkle had not asked me to, I would have seen to you.”

“Thanks…” Scootaloo sighed softly.

He then promptly thumped his hoof on the top of her head.

“Ow!” One skate-clad hoof went to her mane.

“However,” he said sternly, “that does not mean you can ignore my teachings, ndege. You are still a fledgling. And fledglings do not become adults until they have shed that which weighs them down. I will expect you to meditate from here on out. Understood?”

“Yes sir,” Scootaloo grumbled, only to hiss as Radi thumped her on the head again, faster than she could react.

“Do not grumble at me, ndege,” Radi lowered his hoof. “The purpose of meditation is to clear your mind of distraction, not to ‘zone out’ as you put it. You will do this, or I will ask Nahodha Testarossa-Sparkle to check on you to make sure.

“Alright, alright, I’ll do it! Just don’t hit me again! Sheesh…”

Radi nodded in satisfaction, then glanced back over his shoulder. “Those two humans there… they seem curious about me.”

Scootaloo followed his gaze, then grunted as she watched Fate talking to them. Subaru was laughing nervously, scratching the back of her head while Teana just huffed, her hands on her hips. “Yeah. Those’re the two I told you about.”

“Ah. Which one is this ‘Subaru’ you spoke of?”

“The one with the blue hair.”

“Ah. And the other is the one that ‘sets you off,’ I presume?”

Scootaloo grunted and nodded, then blinked as Radi turned and trotted off towards them. Scootaloo skated after him slowly, her ears folded back as she followed along.

---

“Oh great, here he comes,” Teana muttered to Subaru. “Just try to act natural, alright?”

“I’ll be fine, Tea,” Subaru replied as Fate stepped out of the way. The zebra trotted up to her and Teana, his tail swishing as his hooves clip-clopped on the ground.

“Lieutenant Radi,” Captain Testarossa-Sparkle said, gesturing to Subaru and Teana, “these are Privates Subaru Nakajima and Teana Lanster. They’re Scootaloo’s squad mates.”

Radi nodded, then looked Subaru directly in the eyes. His pale-green eyes were fierce and stern, but Subaru swallowed and didn’t look away. “It’s… a pleasure to meet you, sir,” she managed to say.

“Yes, it is,” he replied simply.

Subaru slowly extended a hand. “I… heard you were Scootaloo’s mentor. You must be pretty impressive, sir.”

Radi quirked an eyebrow at that. “Why do you say such a thing?”

“Because Scootaloo’s pretty impressive herself, sir.”

Radi paused at that. He then nodded and broke eye contact, gently lifting a hoof up and resting it in Subaru’s hand.

Subaru felt the edge of his hoof rest against her fingers. The edge of his hoof was filed almost to a blade-like sharpness. She shook it firmly, then let go.

Radi nodded in approval. “You will take good care of my ndege, yes?”

“She’s my squad mate and my friend. Of course I would.”

Radi hmmed, looking up at her again. His ears flicked. “Yes. You would.” He then turned his attention on Teana, who met his eyes briefly before glancing away nervously. “And you as well, I hope?”

“Yes sir,” Teana replied.

“That is good. My student is in good hooves. She is a proud little bird,” Radi glanced back at Scootaloo, who flushed and glanced away, “but she has a strong heart. Be mindful of this, yes?”

“Absolutely, sir,” Subaru replied promptly, though she was surprised. Radi’s gaze was still focused on Teana. The zebra nodded slowly, then turned back to Captain Testarossa-Sparkle.

“I would like to excuse myself, Nahodha. Your sister will resume training, and it would be best I stepped out of the way.”

“Of course. Excuse us, girls.”

Subaru nodded as the Captain and her zebra companion trotted off. She heard Teana let out a loud breath as Scootaloo skated closer. “He seemed… nice,” Subaru ventured as she looked at Scootaloo.

“Relax,” the pegasus replied, “I think he likes you Subaru.”

Subaru blinked. “Huh? You think so?”

“Yeah. Lieutenant Radi doesn’t like touching others very much. Or being touched, for that matter. So the fact that he let you shake his hoof…”

“Oh… oh my gosh,” Subaru blushed.

“Is he always like that?” Teana shivered, hugging herself as she looked at Radi‘s retreating backside..

“Yeah. Radi’s really super-intense. I’m not sure he knows how to turn it off.” Scootaloo stretched her wings. “He’s not bad once you get to know him, though.”

“Right… I’ll take your word on that…”

---

“So,” Fate ventured as she and Radi walked along, “what do you think?”

Radi grunted softly. “The blue-maned one, Subaru, is good. Her spirit is strong, and she does not show fear easily. She is much like my ndege, but… refined. The orange-maned one, Teana… I am not so sure.”

“Oh?”

Radi shook his head. “There is darkness in her gaze. Something is lurking in her, but I do not know what. You would do well to take care, Nahodha. She is trouble.”

“That lines up with what I’ve gathered,” Fate replied. “I’m just glad you confirmed it for me.”

“You rely that much on me, Nahodha?” Radi asked curiously.

“You’re much better at reading others than I am,” Fate replied with a smile. “But then again, you’ve had a lot more practice at it.”

“Survival is the best teacher, Nahodha.“ Radi grunted in agreement. “Many of you ponies would not last long in the veldt, not even my ndege, skilled though she may be.”

Fate arched an eyebrow in amusement. “Does that include me, Lieutenant?”

“I would not dare say such a thing out loud, Nahodha,” Radi replied with a straight face.

Fate laughed softly, then shook her head. “Anyway,” she continued, “do you think you’ll hang around a little while longer for the sparring?”

“Hrm. Yes, I think so.” Radi nodded.

---

“I’ve confirmed that Captain Harlaown and his aide have left the building, sir.”

Gais sighed softly, gesturing to one of the chairs in front of his desk. “Sit, Auris. Was he seen with anyone else during his time here?”

Auris shook her head. “No sir. After the administrative meeting he and his aide left the building to have lunch. He then returned, stopped by the Base Command Authority and requisitions department to turn in his paperwork, then returned to the transport helicopter that brought him here.”

Gais grunted, then slowly turned in his desk chair, letting one hand linger on the ink blotter atop his desk. ”Auris,” he began, trying to keep his voice even, “there’s something I’d like for you to do for me.”

“Yes, sir?”

“I want you to do some digging.” He reached up, rubbing his mustache with one gloved hand before continuing. “I want you to find out whatever you can about the Captain’s Equestrian friends. Anything we can use.”

“Of course, sir.” Auris adjusted her glasses, a glint of sunlight briefly hiding her eyes. “Are we seeking to discredit them?”

“Not yet,” Gais replied. “But I’d like to be prepared if we need to move against Chrono’s little friends. Dig up whatever dirt you can find on them. Something we can throw around.”

“Of course sir. But what about the Altenritter?”

“There’s not much we can do about them,” Gais replied. “Those monsters are very publicly turning over a new leaf. And as far as the Bureau is concerned, the damned Saint Church could bathe in sewage and still smell like roses.” He paused, then nodded to himself. “On second thought though… see what you can find about their ‘Equestrian liaison;’ the blue unicorn that holds the Altenritter’s leash, whatever her name is.”

“Trixie, sir.”

“Yes, Trixie.” He turned fully, looking out the window and reclining his chair back against his desk. “I don’t care how cute and sweet they seem to be; even pretty little ponies can have secrets they want to hide. Find them.”

“As you wish, sir.”

Gais nodded absentmindedly. I’m sorry I have to do this, Harlaown, he thought to himself, but you’re just another soldier caught up in this war, and you‘re on the wrong side. Hopefully you’ll smarten up before it destroys you, like it did my old friend…

---

The setting sun shone down on the S4 as Twilight stood on the pier, gently tapping on the holographic keyboard with her telekinesis.

Another day, another successful practice, she thought to herself in satisfaction. Raising Heart, have you logged the data with Shari?

Yes, my Master. Data logs have been saved to Shari’s terminal, as well as the base’s server and your personal terminal.

Great! She waved to her trainees as they walked by, the six of them waving back as best they could given their exhausted state. Aside from the few hiccups today, things seem to be going pretty well!

Then she realized that Spike, Erio and Caro had stopped. The young dragon raised a hand, waving them on before he quickly jogged over to Twilight, the scuff-marks from that afternoon’s sparring practice still on his scales. “Hey, uh, Twilight? Can I talk to you for a sec?”

“Sure,” Twilight replied, shutting off the terminal. “What’s the matter?”

“Well,” Spike grimaced and shuffled his feet. “It’s about Teana…”

Twilight sighed. So much for an ideal day. “Go on…”