• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 8,745 Views, 594 Comments

It Runs In The Family - Onomonopia

  • ...
17
 594
 8,745

Birthday Surprise

After another night of fighting the local scum and trying to find more information about the Demon Spawn, Scootaloo had finally fallen asleep in her bed around four in the morning. She had planned to sleep in the rest of the day, but then she remembered the arrangement that she had made with her sister the day before, moments before a loud knocking came at the door. Scootaloo groaned as she looked at the clock, which read noon, before rolling out of bed and landing on all fours, walking over to the door and once again opening it to blinding sunlight.

"Well, look who's finally up," Applebloom said with a smile as she pulled Scootaloo into a hug. "We come by earlier but ya didn't answer yer door. So we figured that we'd let ya get some sleep before we visited again."

"You're too kind," she muttered as she tried to keep her eyes open. Through her bleary eyes, she could see Sweetie Belle and Rainbow Dash standing behind AB, both of whom were smiling at the scene. "So are we going to do something or are you going to continue to crush me to death?"

"Oops, sorry," Applebloom said as she let go of her. Scootaloo closed the door behind her as she left her house and turned back to her friends.

"Alright, what do you have planned for me on my special day?" The three noticed the lack of enthusiasm in her voice, but that didn't stop them from smiling at her with a hint of mischief in their eyes.

"Well, first we're going to do something that you just love to do, but haven't had the time to go do in a while," Rainbow Dash said with a smile.

"I swear, if you're thinking what I-"

"We're going to get you some new clothes!" Sweetie yelled.

"I will kill you all," Scootaloo threatened, but her words were lost on her friends, who grabbed her arms and dragged her through the streets despite her resisting them as painlessly as she could. But it was to no avail, as she quickly found herself outside of the Carousel Boutique, shuddering at the thought of having to go inside. "I could drop all of you right now and the courts would rule it as self defense."

"Come on, you used to go in here all the time when we were younger," Sweetie Belle said with a smile, as she placed both hooves on Scootaloo's back and started to push her towards the door, having the other two help her when Scootaloo managed to stop Sweetie by bracing her legs against the door. After a minute of pushing, screaming and fighting, the three finally managed to not push her through the door, but broke the hinges on the door instead, and they all tumbled inside. Scootaloo pushed the other mares off of her and looked up to see...

"Is that...something that humans would wear?" she asked in disbelief, as she stood up and walked over to the outfit that was resting on one of the manikins that sat in the center of the room. It was just as she thought, a tee shirt, short pants combo. And on the front of the shirt was a black bat in the center of a yellow circle, bringing back memories for her. "What is this?"

"It's my gift to you," Sweetie said with a smile as she walked over to her friend and hugged her. "I noticed how down you've been lately, and figured that you could use something somewhat familiar to cheer you up. Now I know that the bat symbol in the center isn't the same as your father's, but it was the best I could do." Scootaloo looked at the clothing in her hooves with a thin smile, happy with how they looked, despite what Sweetie said. She placed them on a table next to her and wrapped her friend in a hug as well.

"I love it. Thanks for the gift." She let go of Sweetie as she threw the clothes on. "How do I look?"

"Like a human would." Sweetie said with a smile. "Now come on. The rest of us each has a gift for you as well, and for Applebloom's, we can't be late, so let's get going." Scootaloo raised an eyebrow, wondering what they had planned for her, but she followed with a shrug. Applebloom took the lead this time and led the group through the streets of Ponyville, Scootaloo chatting with RD about what the Wonderbolts were up to.

"I make sure that I only pick the best fliers for my team, or the ones with the most heart," RD said when Scootaloo asked how the recruitment process was going. "If we're supposed to be the aerial defenders of Ponyville, then we need to be the best. We can't let the Dark Knights beat us." Scootaloo rolled her eyes at RD's rivalry with the Dark Knights, which had formed ever since the Knights had managed to stop an Ursa back when it had attacked Ponyville, before the Wonderbolts could. "Of course, Luna's training program is only for the toughest of the ponies, so they have that going for them, but we won't lose!"

"I hope that whatever you guys had planned for me isn't happening outdoors, because it looks like it's going to rain," Scootaloo muttered as she looked up at the sky, seeing the black clouds that had formed. She hadn't been informed of any rainstorms coming near Ponyville, but then again, the pegasi sometimes forgot days when they were supposed to make it rain.

"We're here!" Applebloom yelled as they reached their destination. Scootaloo looked past her to see that they had arrived at the bowling alley.

"And why are we here again?" Scootaloo asked as she walked over to Applebloom.

"Because we haven't done this in ages, and ah still owe ya fer beating me that one time by one pin," she said with a wink. "And Rainbow thought it would be a good idea to help ya unwind since yer so tense and stressed from yer job." Scoot's really didn't want to, but she owed her friends from all the times she hadn't been there for them, so she figured that this small sacrifice wouldn't hurt. So with a bit of a forced smile on her face, she followed her friends and sister inside. She noticed immediately that there was already a small area set up for her with a banner hanging overhead, with the words 'Happy Birthday' written on it and the table already had a cake on it.

"You guys really didn't have to reserve me my own spot," she told them, feeling touched that they cared this much.

"Anything fer our friend," AB said. "Now let's get our bowling balls and we'll get started." Scootaloo went with one of the heavier balls for her, while the other mares went with mostly lighter ones, except for RD, who matched Scootaloo pound for pound. Naturally, the mares had set it up so that Scootaloo went first. The girls cheered for her as she threw the ball down the lane and yelled even louder when she hit the strike.

"How did you do that so easily?" RD asked as Scootaloo sat down while Sweetie went up.

"It's easy to calculate how the ball will roll when the proper spin is applied," Scootaloo said as she poured herself a drink that they had gotten. "You should try to throw a batarang. Much harder to do."

"I'll take your word for it," Rainbow said as Sweetie sat back down at the table with a huff, having only hit five pins. After watching AB buck the ball down the lane and obliterate the pins as well as the back wall, it was RD's turn to go. And just like Scootaloo, she nailed a perfect strike with ease and had a huge smile on her face as she walked back over. "I just throw as hard as I can and hope that I don't kill anypony in the process. So far it hasn't failed me."

"Uh-huh. Okay, how about when we finish up we get to cake?" Sweetie suggested. So after their rousing game of bowling (RD and Scootaloo crushed the other two), they let Scootaloo cut the cake while singing her the birthday song--with their own little bits of personal history thrown in, embarrassing Scootaloo to the point where she hid under the table.

"Alright, so we got my new outfit and we went bowling, where you three promptly destroyed any reputation I had. What horrors await me next?" she asked with a smile as they left the bowling alley an hour later.

"Next up is my gift, and trust me when I tell you that it will be the greatest gift you ever received," Dash boasted as she started to walk away. "Just follow me to see...Scootaloo what's wrong?" Scootaloo had completely blocked out everything that RD had been saying and was simply staring down the street. Her friends all followed her gaze, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. But Scootaloo saw somepony that she always hated to see. The silver mare.

"I'll catch up with you guys later. Something's come up," she said in a tone that made none of them question her, despite the many questions they did have. So they all left Scootaloo alone as thunder crackled across the sky and simply went their separate ways. Once they were gone, Scootaloo walked up to the silver mare and glared at her. "What are you doing here? If any of my friends saw you-"

'They cannot see me unless I choose to be seen by them,' she said without moving her mouth again, which was starting to creep Scootaloo out. 'And I had to risk meeting you here in order to pass along a warning, for there is not much time left.'

"What are you yammering on about?" Scootaloo asked. The silver mare began to answer, but then a massive lightning bolt flashed across the sky and shook the very land beneath them. Scootaloo looked up at the sky with confusion while the silver mare looked up at it with fear.

'I've always hated thunder,' she muttered to herself as she looked from the sky to Scootaloo, debating her next move. 'Very well, I will have to be quick. Tonight the Batman is going to die unless you or somepony else goes to save him. And if he dies, then this world and many others will be helpless at the hooves of evil. This may be the last time we speak for a while, but remember what your father has taught you and be honest with yourself. Do not ask me any questions, for I must get out of here to be safe. Farewell and remember my warning.' Scootaloo had no idea what she was talking about, but she stepped back as the mare began to glow, expecting to see her teleport away like she normally did. But instead she surrounded herself with silver energy and shot into the sky in a burst of light, one that could still be seen by Scootaloo even as she reached the dark clouds. Scootaloo wondered why she left in such a way that would draw attention to herself if she preferred not to be seen.

'But what worries me the most is that she knew of Batman and said that he was going to die,' Scootaloo thought to herself as she spread her wings and flew down the streets towards her house, worry for her dad beginning to seep into her mind. As she raced through her door and down into her cave, she wondered if the mare had been telling the truth. While she wasn't certain of whether or not the silver one could be trusted, there was a way to find out. The moment she reached the dimensional stone that was on her keyboard she flicked it on and sat down in her chair, her fears keeping her from sitting still as she waited for the other side to answer.

"Hello?" the butler's voice answered from the other side.

"Alfred, it's me, Batmare," Scootaloo said quickly, not wanting to waste anytime. "I received word that Batman may be in trouble and it could be possible that he might die. Is he there right now or is he still out on his nightly route?" The silence that followed her question was the longest silence of her life, her question being answered before any words could be said.

"Batman went to the abandoned part of Gotham two nights ago," Alfred explained with hidden concern in his voice. "He stayed within radio contact most of the time, but when he reached the main room he went silent. We have sent his protégé and Robin in after him, but so far neither have been able to get into the underground facility. We do not know whether he is still alive, but we can only hope." Scootaloo wasn't aware of what Alfred said next, or the fact that she turned off the device as she headed out of the cave and up the stairs, her mind was only focused on what she had heard. Batman might be dead. Alfred could have told her that the world was coming to an end and that would have hit her with less impact than the news she had just received.

'No, he can't be dead, the Batman can't die!' Scootaloo thought to herself as she sat down on her couch. 'Dad can't die! He's survived everything else that the world has thrown at him without batting an eye, it would take more than whatever he was fighting to bring him down! But...what if...?' Scootaloo stood back up as an idea entered her head, an idea that she needed the help of another in order to achieve. At a speed that would make Rainbow Dash proud, Scootaloo shot out of her house as fast as her wings could carry her to the Golden Oaks library, kicking in the door before she flew into the room to find the alicorn she was looking for.

"Scootaloo? What the heck are you doing barging into my house like this?" Twilight screamed as Scootaloo came skidding to a stop in front of her, the wind from her speed knocking a large number of the books off the shelves. "And you knocked most of the books off my-"

"My place. Now," Scootaloo said in such a dark tone that all of Twilight's rage vanished as she wondered what was up. Twilight instructed Spike to pick up the books that had fallen (both of them ignored the groan that he gave) as they raced out of the library towards Scootaloo's home. Twilight noticed that Scootaloo hadn't locked her door in her rush, and the cave's entrance was still open and in plain sight.

"What were you thinking?" Twilight asked as she and Scootaloo started to descend down into the cave. "What if a neighbor had passed by wondering what was up and found-"

"I need you to replicate the spell that Morgaine used ten years ago to open a portal between dimensions," Scootaloo said as she tossed her dimensional stone over to Twilight before she raced to the batsuit, slipping it on in the blink of an eye and heading over to her armory as well.

"I'm sorry, WHAT?!" Twilight asked in disbelief as Batmare slipped her utility belt on. "Are you crazy?! Why on Equis would you want me to open-?"

"I need to go to Batman's world and save his life before he dies," Batmare said with no emotion as she finished placing her batarangs into her belt. Twilight gave her the look of all looks, a mix of compassion and sheer disbelief all in one.

"Scootaloo...Batman's-"

"Batman never died; he managed to survive the explosion and the massive blood loss due to a friend of his on the other side. The reason that I haven't told you or anypony else about him still being alive, is because he asked me not to, but now that his life's on the line I needed to tell you," Scootaloo said as she walked up to Twilight. "The portal please." Twilight placed a hoof on her head as she tried to comprehend what Scootaloo had just told her, but if all of it was true, that meant that Batman's life was on the line and he needed her help.

"Scootaloo, what are you planning to do?" Twilight asked as she started up the portal.

"Simple. I'm going to Gotham."