• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 8,727 Views, 594 Comments

It Runs In The Family - Onomonopia

  • ...
17
 594
 8,727

Riches to Riches

The Cave.

Scootaloo stared at the giant monitor in front of her, racking her brain in efforts to try and find where the Demon Spawn would strike next, but she could think of nothing as she continued to stare at the six-sided star on the screen. Why was it a six sided star? Normally, summoning-stars were pentagrams with five sides, each of the points connected to some sort of sacrifice or symbol. This wasn't her first time dealing with ponies who wanted to summon beings of darkness, but this was the first time for her that a group of ponies had managed to do it.

"Argh, there are no patterns or clues," she groaned to herself as she fired up the list of the ponies who had been associated with the Demon Spawn, scrolling through half, expecting the ponies in there to give her a clue. But no matter how she looked at it, the ponies didn't match up either. Some of them were simple folk who hadn't done anything weird, whereas others were the rich and popular kind, whom others were used to seeing in the paper for doing something crazy. Then there were the real sickos, the kind that Scootaloo dealt with on a regular basis. She spent another ten minutes scrolling, before she finally gave up and decided to just go crusading in hopes that she would find something. She scooped her cowl off of the keyboard and placed it over her head, brushing her mane to the side and out of her eyes as she snapped the clamps into place, so that the cowl wouldn't fall off. Batmare rose from her chair and turned around...to see the silver mare standing across the cave from her.

"You," Batmare said with a growl as she reached inside of her utility belt and whipped out two batarangs, which she flung towards the silver mare with deadly precision. But much to her amazement, the batarangs went right through the silver mare and struck the wall on the other end of the cave, falling to the floor with a clink. No sooner had they hit the ground than Batmare pulled out the electric horseshoes of her belt and turned them on, rushing towards the mare with the magic electricity crackling on her hooves. Unlike with the batarangs, the silver mare actually dodged out of the way of the punch that Batmare threw, disappearing in the blink of an eye. Batmare came to a stop and looked around the cave, finding that the mare had somehow gotten past her and to the computer. She took a step forward to attack, but a silver barrier shot up in front of her.

'I did not wish to do this, but your actions have shown me that if I let you out, you will try to attack me again,' she said--or at least Batmare assumed she said it, since she couldn't see her mouth move. Now that the mysterious mare was finally in front of her, she could see what she looked like. She was definitely a silver pony, but it was an ethereal silver, like she was something that didn't belong in this world. Her cloak also looked other-worldly, covered in strange markings that seemed to glow with power, just like her. Finally, there were her eyes-- two spheres of glowing silver. Her eyes shown with a soothing yet powerful aura, telling Batmare that she was a deadly foe. She pressed a button on the keyboard, watching as the screen began to change.

"What did you do?" Batmare asked as the image on the screen began to twist and turn, eventually coming to a stop when it showed Equestria and its cities from the side.

'You are looking for your answers in the wrong places,' the silver mare said to Batmare as she started to zoom in with the computer, showing all five of the places the fillies had been murdered. 'When a beast is normally summoned, a simple spell on the surface will do. But when you are dealing with the ultimate demons, you must continue to go higher until you make a path for them to rise to the surface.' Batmare narrowed her eyes at the map, realizing what she was talking about. Each of the murders hadn't just taken place at a different location; they had taken place on a different level. Each one was lower than the last, the highest being the one that she had found on accident. Now that she thought about it, the first filly that had been found had been in an old mineshaft, hundreds of meters under the ground.

"So why are you helping me?" Batmare asked as she kicked a hoof against the shield, frowning when she saw that it was still up. If you've been watching me for all this time, why pick now to actively come out and help me? What has changed?" The silver pony looked at her with those empty eyes, seemingly looking through Batmare.

'The darkness that will consume this land is coming faster than I had thought possible. Despite the Batman stopping the evil ten years ago, it was only temporarily sealed,' she explained as she walked up to the other side of the silver barrier. 'If left on your own, you would not be able to stop the darkness from being summoned in time and this world would be lost, just like countless others. And that is something that I will not allow.' See pressed another button on the keyboard and the image of a massive skyscraper came into view, a building that one of the richer ponies in Equestria owned. 'This is where you will find the Demon Spawn as you call them tonight. But you must leave now.'

"Wait, what do you-?" Scootaloo covered her eyes as the silver mare vanished in a flash, sending a blinding light through the cave that scared away some of the bats. When she could see again, the silver mare was gone and she was alone once again. Seeing that the barrier was gone as well, Batmare walked up to the computer screen and looked at the building, her eyes narrowing as she looked at it. Now that she had a target, she could plan for how to get in. She jumped down a level and raced over to her breaking-and-entering supplies, figuring that she'd need a number of items to help her get inside. She pressed a button on the side and stepped back as the black metal doors opened, revealing her stashes of burglary tools. Diamond-tipped window cutters, smoke pellets that revealed magic trip lasers, and her personal favorite, sonic batarangs that could blow all the windows out of a building no matter the size. Of course, she never threw them without her cowl on; she'd seen what they could do. As she finished placing those items in her utility belt, she turned and headed for the teleportation station that lay at the bottom of the cave. She stepped on the teleporter that would take her to the building, preparing herself mentally for what was to come as the magical energies surrounded her.

======--=====

The tower was located in the center of Stalliongrad, a place that was famous for its tougher ponies, who were less trusting than the other ponies in the land. The guards that had been stationed here were there for everypony's protection, and they did not take kindly to thieves and burglars, especially those that ran around in a suit. Even though the princesses had openly declared Batmare an ally of the nation, the guards here still didn't trust her and she more than once had to fight her way out of this city, not just from the criminals, but the guards as well. Normally, she would love the challenge of fighting the guards, but tonight she needed to be stealthy.

She appeared in a flash of light as the teleportation process came to a stop, once again praising Twilight's skills as she looked at the massive skyscraper across from her. She narrowed her eyes at the sheer size of the monstrosity for only a second before she spread her wings and threw herself off of the building on which she was standing, sailing into the night sky as she flew towards the building. The lights in the city had died down for the evening, making her flight over to the building uneventful, something that Batmare appreciated. She spread her wings wide to slow herself down as she landed on the side of the skyscraper, whipping out her grapple gun and firing it up towards a vent opening in the side of the building. Since she was this close to the building, she didn't want to risk a pony seeing her flying around when stealth was what she needed. She jumped next to the vent as the grapple gun finished pulling her up and flicked on detective vision, seeing that the vent covering was barely secured to the wall.

'So rich ponies can make a building this grand but can't be bothered by construction codes?' she thought to herself as she started to tug at the vent covering. It came off with no problem and gave her an access point to get inside, which she dove into without a moment's hesitation. She slid down the vent with all four hooves on the sides, wincing every time that a sound escaped from her hooves. She hoped nopony would hear it. But she managed to make it inside the building without raising any alarms, completing the first part of her plan.

'Infiltration successful,' she thought to herself as she kicked off the cover at the end of the vent and landed inside of the building, her eyes quickly scanning for any signs of ponies that may have heard her. 'Now to find where this meeting is taking place.' With nopony around, Batmare started to scan the area and quickly noted how similar the inside of this building looked to the interior of the warehouse that she had been in the other night. So once again, she had to sneak through a place where her suit stood out against the background as she made her way through the building. As she snuck through the corridors, she heard the sound of multiple hooves on the tiles, telling her that a large number of ponies were on their way. Spotting a place to hide, she dove out of the way just as six armed guards turned the corner and walked into the room where she had been hiding. They looked around once before moving on, none of them looking behind them as Batmare dropped down from the ceiling.

'They were carrying some of the most powerful magic crossbows that can be bought on the market,' she noted to herself, as she ran down the corridor from which they had just come. Whoever this pony was, they had their own personal army and the bits to fund it, a combination that never worked out well. The corridor ended when she reached an elevator. She pressed the call button and stood to the side so that if anypony was on it when it opened, they wouldn't see her right away. As she waited for the elevator, she thought about how far along technology had come in ten years. First, Twilight helped the princesses to replicate some of the gadgets that Batman had used, most of which were eventually given to Scootaloo, like the batarangs they replicated. While she was ahead of the rest of the world in terms of actual technology (thanks to Batman and the fact that he gave her something new every year on her birthday), it was still incredible to see just how fast the world had caught up to the tech that the humans used. Computers were starting to become a common item, while the weapons continued to get deadlier and deadlier, something that she remembered Batman talking about--how when new tech is discovered, the first thing that would be done with it would be to weaponize it. It was scary just how fast the world was changing in such a short time, and how thankful she was that she still had an edge over most of the populace. She heard the elevator ding and she moved closer to the wall as two ponies stepped out.

"...and then the foal actually started to plead for his life, like I actually cared," one of the ponies, a tough looking unicorn, said as he stepped off the elevator.

"Dude, not going to lie, that's pretty harsh," the other said as she shook her head and looked over at the unicorn, her eyes widening when she saw the Batmare standing there. Faster than the unicorn could turn around, Batmare shot out with one of her hooves and slammed the unicorn's skull into the wall, smirking to herself when she heard the skull crack. "Not going to lie, you totally deserved that one," the other pony said before a kick to her muzzle knocked her out as well. Batmare grabbed the two unconscious bodies and dragged them onto the elevator with her, standing them up and leaning them against the side of the elevator in case any other ponies got on. Batmare pressed the button for the top floor and jumped onto the ceiling. She stretched out her legs so that she could hold herself in place, keeping herself there as she felt the elevator start to go up. Just as she had expected, about half way up to the top, the elevator stopped and two more ponies got on.

"Hey, how's it going?" one of the ponies in a scientist outfit asked as the elevator doors closed behind them. When neither of the two responded, the scientist and his associate checked up on them to see what was wrong, but two hooves to the back of their heads put them down as well. The rest of the ride up went without another interruption, and Batmare rolled out of the elevator when it came to a stop on the top floor, pulling out a batarang and turning to the right...and making herself known to six tough-looking stallions that had been lounging around.

"Well, what do we have here?" one of them asked as he got off his couch with a chuckle, cracking his joints as he started to walk over to her. "Aren't you the legendary Batmare? You're a lot smaller than I read in the paper, not to mention you look like a freakin' Halloween foal." Batmare decided to shut him up with a flying kick to the face, but he moved his head to the side just in time to avoid most of her hoof, though a bit of it still grazed his jaw. "Oh, you've got some fight in you. I like it."

"Think we should tell the boss that she's here, Blaze Mane?" another one of the ponies asked.

"Don't be stupid, you know what he'll do to you if you interrupt his meeting," another one reminded him. "You want to end up like Black Heart? Turned into some freaking demon?" Batmare blocked a punch from Blaze Mane and countered by slamming her re-enforced cowl into his nose, paying close attention to what the other's were saying. Ponies were being turned into demons? How did that work? But if that was the case, she couldn't play around any longer. So when she dodged another attack from Blaze, she reached into her belt and pulled out her electric horseshoes, driving both of them into the pony's jaw. He went down without another sound as she spun on a dime and threw herself at another one of them, driving her knee into his muzzle and knocking a few teeth out. The other four ponies sprung to their hooves but were knocked right back down as Batmare threw four batarangs at them, only one of the ponies being fast enough to dodge out of the way. She flipped through the air and landed on one of the downed ponies, driving her electric hoof into his face and putting him out of the fight.

"That's it lady, you're going down!" the one that was still standing roared as he grabbed a lamp and started to swing it at her. Batmare caught it with one of her hooves and smiled at the pony as she coursed the electricity in her horseshoes through the pole, zapping the pony on the other end and causing him to cry out in pain as he fell to the floor. She barely had time to check to see if he were still breathing when a blast of magic caught her in the back, causing her to take a step forward to steady herself. She slowly turned her head around to see that one of the ponies had grabbed a crossbow and was pointing it at her chest.

"Time to die, freak!" he screamed as he fired the magic bolt into her chest with a laugh. But the laugh died down when he saw the spell disperse against her chest and the sound of her laughter echoed throughout the room. "W-what's going on? Why didn't that spell kill you?"

"Simple, you foal," she said with a chuckle as she ran up to him and grabbed him by the neck, smiling evilly when his eyes shrank in fear. "You can't kill...what's already dead." She drove her back hoof into his chest and sent him crashing through the door that they were supposed to be guarding, splintering it under the force of the impact. Batmare started to walk through it but heard a sound behind her. She looked over her shoulder to see the only pony that she hadn't knocked out yet slowly get to his hooves, chuckling as he did so.

"Can't kill you, huh? That act might work on my foolish co-workers, but I know the truth. You're just a mare under all that armor and tricks, just flesh and blood. But the ponies in the other room...they're beyond us. All you're doing is marching towards your own death."

"Thanks for the warning," she said as she threw another batarang into his head, knocking him out. She walked past the pony she had kicked through the doors, into a corridor with two more sets of doors at the end of it. She placed her ear on the door and listened in, hearing the voices of two other ponies on the other side.

"...And you're certain that the other supplier will be able to keep supplying us with the ash we need?" a deep voice said from the other room, a power flowing through it that sounded...otherworldly.

"If he wishes to live, he will continue to do so," another voice said, this one sounding more businesslike than the other voice, but there was a coldness to it that made it hard to tell which one of them was the greater evil. "That foal aside, what should we do about BlackMane? That pirate has constantly stolen supplies that we need for our rituals and has interfered on more than one occasion, not to mention killing several of our most powerful guards."

"Leave him for now, I am more concerned with finishing the plan. We are so close now that our leader will not allow any more slip ups." Batmare noticed that the room went quiet for a second, which to her was never a good sign. And it was interesting, hearing that BlackMane was interfering with the Demon Spawn; she thought he only went after rich ponies. Then again, this pony was rich, so maybe it made sense. The two began to whisper to each other, obviously spooked by something and she couldn't hear what was going on anymore.

'Time to make an entrance,' she thought to herself as she pulled out a number of smoke pellets and an explosive batarang from her belt as well. She placed the batarang on the door and backed off, preparing her smoke pellets for her entrance. The batarang went off in a massive explosion that blew the door off its hinges, the smoke from the door being followed up by the smoke pellets that she threw into the room. She smiled as she heard the ponies began to panic, each of them asking the other what was going on. She slowly walked into the room, the light behind her casting a dark shadow over the two, who peered through the smoke to see her. She noted that one of the two was wearing a white cloak, just like the ones from the warehouse.

"Hello, stallions," she said in a dark voice, her tone sounding like death incarnate as the two started to back away from her. "Tonight you're going to do one of two things. You tell me what your plan is and go to jail, or you put up a fight and go to a hospital...your choice."