• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 8,734 Views, 594 Comments

It Runs In The Family - Onomonopia

  • ...
17
 594
 8,734

Knight and Night

Batmare screamed in pain as the former scientist tossed her across the room with a smack of his hoof, sending her sailing into one of the floating pony bodies. She crashed to the floor with groan and quickly sprung to her hooves, as the giant monster started to lumber towards her with a smirk. His skin began to rip as his muscles broke through his own body. Batmare reached inside her belt and tossed exploding batarangs at the titan, who held up a hoof to protect himself from the explosions. She scowled as he walked through her attacks and threw herself into the air, flying right at him with both rear hooves extended and driving them right into his jaw.

"Is that really all the famed Batmare can do?" the monster asked with a smirk, as he grabbed her legs and lifted her over his head, slamming her into the ground. She gritted her teeth when she felt her right wing break from the impact, dazing her enough that she couldn't do anything as he lifted her up again and prepared to slam her once more. Reflex kicked in, and she grabbed his hooves with her electric gauntlets, sending a torrent of electricity into his body. He roared in discomfort and threw her across the room, watching with a frown as she rolled and vanished into the rows of ponies. "Come out, come out, wherever you are," he taunted as he started to walk through the rows of the ponies, looking past them with a growl. Batmare had taken refuge on the other side of the room opposite of where he had been, trying to keep her pained breathing quiet as she assessed the damage to her body.

'Damn, wing's broken in at least three places,' she thought to herself as she gingerly tried to move her wing, wincing as pain shot through her body. 'That means I no longer have my aerial advantage. And since he is at least three times as strong as me, most of my martial arts won't work on him either. What do I do?' She got back to her hooves and started to sneak through all the floating bodies, hoping that her stealth would keep her alive long enough to help her think of a plan. And then, she saw her chance to beat him in the form of a pillar in the center of the room, one of four that seemed to keep the entire place standing. If she could figure out a way to bring it down, she might make it out alive. But as she looked over her remaining gadgets, she noted that none of her explosives had the power to destroy the pillar. Maybe she could--

"Got you." Batmare spun around and kicked the titan in the jaw, turning his head to the side slightly despite it being one of her strongest kicks. He reached out to grab her with his massive hoof, but Batmare slipped underneath and flipped herself onto his arm. He roared and tried to grab her with his other arm as she flipped over him and placed both of her remaining explosive batarangs on his face, leaping off before he could grab her and detonated them with a smile.

"No, I got you," she said as she pressed the remote detonation on her gauntlet, blowing up both of the batarangs and causing the titan to roar with pain as he staggered back, holding his smoldering face. She whipped out her grappling hook and fired it around his throat, stomping on the cord to throw him off balance and force him to stumble towards her. "And now, I'll bring down the house!" Batmare flipped into the air over the titan and kicked him in the back of the head with her hooves, sending him staggering forward again into the column. She looked back with a smile as she saw cracks begin to spread across the first column, but scowled as the titan pulled his head out of the pillar and looked back at her with rage.

"It will take more than that to kill me!" he roared as he charged her again, his speed much faster than it was before. She barely had time to throw up her hooves to protect herself as he charged into her, throwing her across the room and sending her skidding along the floor. She fired her grappling hook towards his face as he resumed his charge, nailing him in the eye, perfectly. He staggered back in pain and placed his back up against the side of the pillar, holding his hooves to his bleeding eye. Batmare then grabbed her smoke pellets and threw them all around his hooves, completely blinding him in the smoke. Her eyes were protected by the cowl so the smoke gave her no problems as she raced through it to drive her hoof into his face, smiling to herself when she heard the sound of bone being broken. He let out one last pathetic groan before he dropped to the ground, stunned and beaten. She smiled at her triumph before crying out in pain as her wing reminded her that she had been broken too.

"Damn it, that's the second time I've broken my wing," she groaned as she got back to her hooves, using Zecora's mental block technique to keep the pain at bay. She staggered herself past the titan's unconscious body to the computer panel that she had broken earlier. Despite the extensive damage, she could still plug in one of her gauntlets to the terminal and download all the information that was on the hard drive. As she slowly looked through the documents, her eyes got smaller and smaller when she realized that this wasn't just a few psychopaths who wanted to bring about the end of the world. There were literally thousands of names on the list of members that were a part of the organization, with the addresses of each and every one of them. All except for the white cloaked figures she had seen, their information just showed their cloaked forms and a question mark next to their name. Odd, the lack of information or facial features reminded her of the-

"You think that you've won just because you stopped me?" Batmare turned towards the broken titan, who sat bleeding on the ground with a smirk on his face. "You have no idea how deep this den of vipers goes. You haven't even scratched the surface of what will be your final act. I'd recommend just killing yourself, for that would be a far better fate than what they will do to you."

"I'm not afraid of a bunch of weirdo's in cloaks," she replied as she looked through the files again, smiling when she found the emergency release switch. Once she flipped it, she looked back at the floating ponies that were trapped in the spells and smiled as they all started to drop to the ground. A quick scan with her detective vision told her that only some of them had made it out alive, while the others hadn't been so lucky. After a few seconds, the ponies started to groan and shakily got to there hooves, most of them looking around with confusion at the place where they found themselves. Then, their confusion turned to either joy or terror at the sight of Batmare. "It's alright, you're all going to be alright. There's an elevator at the other end of the room. Take that to get out of here. Those of you who are strong enough to carry those who are unable to walk on their own, please do so." The ponies all started to do as she asked, helping the weak and elderly out of the building. Most of them looked with terror at the titan that lay on the ground, but he paid them no mind. His eyes and hatred were fixated on Batmare.

"You will not make it out of here alive," he snarled as he forced himself back to his hooves, his massive body starting to decompose. The elixir that he had drunk was now starting to turn against him and his body could no longer stay together. But he didn't plan to go alone. "Computer, self destruct protocol. Password: new world." The computer turned a blazing red as sirens started going off throughout the base, the voice over the speaker saying that they had sixty seconds to escape.

"Are you crazy?! In your current state there's no way that you can get out of here in time!" Batmare yelled at him, his answer was to chuckle at her.

"No, I cannot. But neither can you," he said with a sick smile, and with the last of his strength he threw his body into the elevator, shattering the glass and destroying the cable connecting it in the process, bringing the elevator car down on him as well. Batmare looked at the bloodstained car while trying to avoid throwing up, changing her thoughts from the dead pony to how she was supposed to escape. With her wing and the elevator both out of commission, her only chance to escape was a small one. She aimed her grapple gun to the ceiling and pointed it at the support beams, hoping that the base wasn't further underground than she had thought. She rappelled into the rafters and pulled out a device that she hoped she wouldn't need to use, a Mark Three Twilight Special. This little ball of energy was three of the most powerful spells in Equestria placed in three separate chambers, so that when they collided upon their release, it made the explosions look like firecrackers. She primed the bomb and placed it on the ceiling, jumping down behind the computer terminal for safety and wrapping her cape around herself.

The explosion was said to be felt all throughout the city, waking up every pony within fifty miles. As for the Batmare, who had been next to the explosion, it felt as if her ears had been obliterated by the sound of the explosion, and her already broken body was sent sailing across the room, along with the rest of the corpses and technology that had remained in the room with her. After about five minutes of regaining her senses of hearing and feeling, she used her might to push a sheet of the metal ceiling off of her so that she could drag herself out of the small hole that she had been tossed into. She got out with a groan and fell to her side, breathing heavily as pain coursed through her body. Her front right leg was practically numb and she was fairly certain that she had a gash in her side. Rarity would not be happy about having to get the blood out of her suit, as well as having to stitch it up again. She forced herself back to her hooves and slowly limped towards the massive hole that she had made in the ceiling, the explosion having ripped a hole in the streets. She coughed up a bit of blood as she walked into the moonlight, reaching into her belt to pull out her grapple gun. She pointed it towards the edge of the hole and fired, pulling twice to make sure it was secure when she felt it hit. She hit the retract button and felt the rope start to pull her up, the barely conscious Batmare holding onto the gun.

R?R

Batmare groaned and lifted her still aching head, blinking the static out of her eyes. The moment she lifted her head she felt the insane pain course through her body again, and she gritted her teeth as she forced it back down, focusing instead on where she was. She was on a night blue bed in the center of a circular room, the room having been painted to look like the night sky with the top of it being a full moon. That, along with all the royal-looking clothing in the closet across from her, told her where she was.

"Why am I here, Luna?" she asked as she turned her head towards the door, where the silhouette of Princess Luna stood silently. The princess walked out of the doorway and over to Batmare, looking over her wounds while wincing every now and then. "Why did you bring me here?"

"I brought you here because you were injured," she responded in a calm voice, floating over a stack of bandages to Batmare's side. "When I found you, during my investigations of that massive explosion that tore apart the night, you had almost bled out and were in a terrible state. Half of your bones were broken along with your wing, and you were covered in second degree burns. It is a miracle that you are still alive, despite the medical treatment."

"You allowed other ponies to operate on me?" she asked with a growl that turned into a wince, as her body reminded her that she was still hurting. "That could have jeopardized my mission. I thought that I was clear when we last spoke?"

"Do not worry, I was the only one who attended to your wounds," Luna said with a huff as she started trying to wrap bandages around her body, only to frown with annoyance when Batmare waved them away. "And considering the amount of damage you had gone through, consider it a miracle that I had the resources on hand to save your life. Keeping you alive while I tried to mend your wounds was one of the most terrifying experiences that I have ever had to go through, I thought that I had lost you at least twice during the surgery. Even my great magical skills couldn't heal all of your wounds, and you will be hurting for at least a week. Not to mention my sheets are probably ruined from the amount of blood you spilled on them. Would a simple 'thank you' be too much to ask for saving your life?"

"Thanks," Batmare muttered from under her breath as she forced herself back up, the pain continuing to course through her body when she started to slowly move her limbs to see how much she had recovered. She would require more surgery in the future, but right now the important matter was giving Luna what she had found out. She pressed a button on her gauntlet and a small memory unit slipped out, which she then hoofed to Luna. "This is a list of all the known members who worked with the group that has been foalnapping fillies. It tells you their addresses and who they are, but if there's any information on the leaders, it's not on here. You can use your magic to scan it like the others I have given you," she started to walk towards the window, narrowing her eyes at the sun which was slowly beginning to rise over the horizon. "I need to go. It's late."

"You've become so much like him, has anypony told you that?" Luna asked her softly as she floated the memory unit over to her hoof, planning on giving it to Celestia later. "Your tone, your demeanor...the fact that you don't like others helping you."

"Yes, I've been told that already," Batmare said. "How long until I need to go visit a doctor?"

"I recommend by the end of tomorrow. The stiches I gave you won't hold up forever." Luna said. Batmare nodded and spread her wings to soar back home, but an aura of magic encompassed her, and she looked over her shoulder to see that Luna was looking at her with a smirk. "You're crazier than he was if you think that I'm just going to let you fly home in your state. I'll teleport you." Batmare nodded, knowing that she wasn't being given a choice in the matter, and closed her eyes as Luna's magic started to teleport her back home. Luna watched her vanish in the flash of light, sighing as she headed over to where Celestia normally spent the mornings watching the sun rise. Luna looked at the device that she had been given, hoping that the information inside would be enough to finally help put an end to the foalnappings and murders. Heaven knows that she couldn't ask any more of Batmare. She hadn't brought it up in fear of offending her, but that was the second time that she had found her close to death. Luna didn't know how much more Batmare's body could take before she finally gave out. And Luna didn't know what she would do if Batmare was to die, especially after all that Batman had gone through to make sure that she had a future. Luna looked out the window at one of the few stars left in the sky, making a silent wish upon it.

'Batman, I do not know if you can hear me, but please help her to find happiness,' Luna whispered silently to the stars, praying that she would be heard. 'She is going down a path from which I don't know if she can return. Please, if you can hear me, help Scootaloo once again.' Luna then turned and headed back towards where her sister should be, wondering what the next day would hold.