• Published 28th May 2013
  • 2,020 Views, 27 Comments

Dark Terrors - Dragon Angel Knight



Luna helps Equestria through it's nightmares.

  • ...
4
 27
 2,020

Queen Chrysalis: The Hard Choices

The Hard Choices


Tonight was a lot more different than the norm for the Lunar Alicorn. There were no petitioners tonight, which wasn't uncommon. During nights like this, Luna often entertained herself with one thing or another, usually a book that had caught her eye (which happened frequently due to the millennium deep chasm between her and her beloved subjects).

This night, however, was occupied with an entirely different matter. One that Luna had only heard about second hand from Celestia the night after the events of the wedding of Princess Cadence and Captain Shining Armor. The Changelings.

Before Luna, seated at a table specifically enchanted to show a map of the known world, was her sister, and the newly crowned Twilight Sparkle as well as the respective heads of their guard. Stolid Aegis sat next to Celestia, a frown upon his face. Twilight's guard captain, student, and friend, Trixie Lulamoon (thankfully without her rather tacky hat) was to her charge's right a bemused expression on her face. And finally, Luna's own guard captain, a thestral (1) by the name of Helia sat next to her.


"I believe I may have a way to find the changelings," Helia was saying, "But it is a long shot."

"Please explain, Helia," Celestia said.

"Yeah, I think we'd all like to hear this," Trixie said with a scoff.

"Be nice!" Twilight said, "She's trying to help."

"Sorry," Trixie said, her mentor's glare setting her straight.

"If there are no further interruptions," Helia began, "I propose that Princess Luna uses her dream walking abilities to locate the changeling queen."

"Wait, would that even work?" Aegis asked.

"Every being has a different... feel, I guess the word would be, while in the dreamscape," Luna said, "If I can get the potential area to be searched down to within a one-thousand mile radius, I should be able to locate this changeling queen."

"Wouldn't that be dangerous, though?" Twilight asked, worried.

Luna gave a little chuckle and a knowing glance at Celestia before replying, "Dear Twilight, there is a certain degree of danger inherent in everything we do. Especially when it comes to walking out the door in the morning. (2) This is really no different."

"If you are sure," Celestia said, "then I give my blessing for this endeavor."

"And I, mine," Twilight said a bit hesitantly.

`~`~`~`~`~`~


As discussed, the potential search area was narrowed down to within a thousand miles. Which was child's play to Luna. The only thing that made the lunar alicorn hesitate was that the area was the Everfree Forest, which would make the search itself very difficult because of the properties of the forest itself. That did not discourage Luna, however, as her ethereal, dream walking form soared over the forest.

Luna searched for the better part of half an hour before she found a dreaming form laying in rest at the Castle of the Pony Sisters... her old home.

`~`~`~`~`~`~`~


Luna entered the dreamscape of the changeling queen, Chrysalis. She had expected to see were the dreams of an unrepentant criminal. Not the scene that lay out before her.

Chrysalis was dreaming of her own home. And how she was cast out by the majority of the Changeling Hive (1), the exceptions being those who were loyal enough to stay with their deposed ruler. The queen herself was on the ground, those who had stuck with her beginning to berate her for her failures.

"You should have done more!" One shouted and struck out at Chrysalis with a holed hoof.

The others began shouting more of the same, striking out as soon as they were done speaking. Chrysalis herself was a sobbing wreck of bruises and glossy black skin riddled with cuts from those who had thought it prudent to use the sharp edges of their hooves as a cutting tool.

Eventually, the beatings stopped. The vicious changelings faded. The queen sat up and, sniffling quietly said in a wavering voice, "I know you're there, Moon Princess. Come out."

Luna obliged the queen and walked in front of her. She sat down and asked," How long were you aware I was here?"

"The moment the nightmare started," Chrysalis responded, "I am a mistress of mental magics. Fat lot of good that does me, though."

"What do you mean?" Luna asked.

"Most of my Hive, my country, abandoned me after that failed raid on Canterlot," Chrysalis spat bitterly, "All because I was foolish enough to invade..."

"I can empathize with that..." Luna said quietly, "I am sure you are aware of my... past mistakes."

"What sentient isn't?" Chrysalis asked, "The condensed story came out about a week after you came back."

"What most might not be aware of is that I did not voice my problems to my sister," Luna said, "I kept it to myself. Kept on repeating that things would be better the next night, and the next, until... Well, the rest is history."

"Why are you telling me about this?" Chrysalis asked.

"So that you do not walk the same path I did when I was faced with being forgotten. Or shunned. Or feared," Luna replied solemnly, "Help may be given, but only if those who need it have the strength to ask."

"I... I admit, I hadn't thought about coming under a banner of peace," Chrysalis said somberly, "I... We were just so desperate! Our children were dying of starvation! I just didn't know what to do!!"

"You made what you thought was the best choice at the time," Luna said comfortingly, "It was a hard choice, but one that we as rulers must face on a daily basis."

Chrysalis remained silent as Luna pondered her next words. The queen herself was getting a bit restless under the moon princess's thoughtful stare.

"I have reached a decision," Luna said.

"About what?" Chrysalis asked.

"What to do with you," Luna said simply.

"Oh," Chrysalis said morosely, "So... what's the plan?"

"I am cordially inviting you to attend a hearing in Canterlot," Luna said, "You and whatever of your subjects you have that are willing and able to make the journey are welcome to stay in our fair city as my guests and under my protection."

"What's the catch?" Chrysalis asked, "This seems too good to be true."

"The only catch is that you remain in your natural forms for the duration of your stay," Luna said, "Otherwise you and yours are free to come and go as you wish."

"What about food? And housing?" Chrysalis asked, some measure of confidence and royal authority seeping into her visage.

"There should be enough ambient emotion in Canterlot that would feed you and yours for the duration of your stay," Luna replied, "if not longer. As for housing, Princess Twilight Sparkle has been doing some research into the conditions your race favors and has been working to convert the caverns below Canterlot from a crystal mine into a large housing area. I am right in assuming changelings prefer the cooler night and underground temperatures, correct?"

"Yes," Chrysalis affirmed, "But some sunlight during the day would be good as well."

"So, I take it you accept my invitation?" Luna asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I... accept," Chrysalis said, "On behalf of the Changeling hive, I thank you."

Luna smiled and got up to leave. Before she left the dreamscape, however, she turned back and said, "One more thing..."

"Yes?" Chrysalis asked warily.

"Do not be surprised if some of your changelings find suitable mates among Equestrians," Luna said, "It appears that cross species relations are not as... taboo as they were before my banishment."

Chrysalis smiled, her fangs glinting in the faint light of her dreamscape and said, "I would absolutely support any one of my changelings, should they decide to marry ponies. Or gryphons. Or whatever else there is out there."

Luna smiled once more before leaving the dreamscape of the now regal looking Changeling Queen.


`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~


One more Luna found herself chasing after the Shade, as she had taken to calling it. It was, yet again barreling its way towards Canterlot. Unfortunately, as with every other time, the Shade was moving much too fast for Luna to overtake, and it soon disappeared from view. However, this did not dampen her mood as it had the other times. This time, she had good news to share with her sister, and a delegation of Changelings to help prepare for.

Author's Note:

1) thestrals, batponies, whatever you want to call them.

2) A cameo in the next chapter for anyone who can correctly guess what movie/book I paraphrased this from.

And, I have to apologize for taking this chapter down... I needed to rewrite a part, involving Trixie and Twilight close to the beginning of the chapter so it doesn't mess up another ship I have waiting to set sail later on in the story. But, this is edited and done, so yay!!!
Edited by mikemeiers here on fimfiction.