• Published 28th May 2013
  • 2,020 Views, 27 Comments

Dark Terrors - Dragon Angel Knight



Luna helps Equestria through it's nightmares.

  • ...
4
 27
 2,020

Applejack: Honesty's Lie

Honesty's Lie





Another night down and another nightmare to quash. Luna was nothing if not meticulous when it came to breaking a nightmare's hold. She knew from personal experience how the darker side of emotions could hurt somepony and she had no desire to see the ponies under her charge go through her pain. So, with her duties at court satisfied or moved to Day Court where Celestia could handle them, Luna once more delved into the realm of dreams.

Luna cast her astral form around the dreamscape for a a long while before a nightmare made itself known. Heading once more in the direction of the Ponyville dreamscape, Luna found herself in the nightmare of Applejack, another of the Bearers of Harmony. Unable to act until needed, Luna watched the scene unfold.
`~`~`~`~`~

Applejack looked cautiously up at the face of Applebloom. She was afraid that the young earth pony filly would be angry or so upset that she would shut the older mare out entirely. Giving a sigh that sounded more approriate from Granny Smith, Applejack wouldn't have blamed the filly for either reaction. Anything would have been better than this stunned silence she was getting.

Slowly, however, Applebloom came to her senses, and she was positively livid.

"So all those years," She began loudly, "Y'all made me believe that mah ma and pa were dead? And fer what? So you could keep your damn dirty little secret?!"

"Please, 'Bloom," Applejack pleaded, "Ah was just tryin' to protect you!"

"From what, exactly, mother?" Applebloom spat out venomously, "From knowin' mah ma was alive the whole time? Or fer yer damn conscience?!"

"A-ah... Ah'm sorry!" Applejack sobbed pitifully.

"Yer a whorse!" Bloom screeched, "Ah don't ever wanna see you again! Liftin' yer tail fer any stallion what comes yer way!"

Applebloom turned and ran as fast as she could away from her mother. Applejack tried to get up and follow her, to catch her, but for every step she took, it semed that Applebloom had taken a hundred. Before long, Applebloom had dissappeared from sight and Applejack had collapsed into a sobbing heap.

Luna approached the sobbing mare and comforted her 'til the sobbing was little more than sniffles. Applejack dried her tears and stared off into the disance Applebloom had run off into.

Luna was the first to speak, "How long have you kept this from her?"

"Her whole life," Applejack responded.

"Who was the father, if I may ask?" Luna asked again.

Applejack's expression darkend and she looked up into the cloudless dark sky and said, "Ah don't know. Ah was raped. That's how 'Bloom came about."

Luna pulled her head back in surprise before saying, "I am sorry, I had no idea."

"Not yer fault, Princess," Applejack said with a small smirk, "Anyhow, it don't matter, cause the monster that did it isn't around anymore. He ain't ever gonna hurt anyone again."

Luna blinked again, believeing that discretion was the better part of valor in this instance and said, "why have you kept this from her?"

Applejack sighed and looked to where Applebloom had run off to and said, "Ah didn't want her to get picked on for nothin' she's not in control of. And Ah suppose part of it was because Ah didn't want her to feel like Ah don't want her."

"Why would she ever think that?" Luna asked curiously.

"Ah... Ah heard stories...." Applejack said slowly, "Of rape victims not wanting the reminder of their rapist... so they try 'n off themselves or drown themselves in the drink or some such nonsense.... Ah know she has too, 'cause she asked about it a while back. Guess that Ah'm just scared of how she'd react if Ah told her, y'know?"

"It is a completely rational fear, that of the unknown," Luna said sagely, "But I know the best way to deal with this problem, Honest Applejack."

"Yea? An' what would that be, Yer Majesty?" Applejack asked curiously.

Luna looked down at Applejack and replied, "Tell her the truth. Soon."

Applejack started to tear up and asked, "But what if...?"

Luna interrupted Applejack's question with a hoof and said, "Regardless of how your daughter reacts to this information, the sooner you do this the better it will be for everyone. I know from experience that letting things, such as this, fester, it only gets worse when the time comes that the news will out itself. And believe me, the simple and direct route is always preferable to the over the top, 'eternal night' route."

The end of Luna's statement got a chuckle from Applejack, who wiped her tears on her foreleg and said, "Thank you, Princess. Ah.... Ah'll tell 'Bloom after ah pull myself together. Ah'd appreciate it if ya'll were there to help out... If'n it ain't too much trouble, Ah mean."

"I would love to," Luna replied, "Just send a letter through young Spike, and I will be here if there are no pressing matters to deal with in Canterlot."

"Thank ya kindly, Princess," Applejack said with a smile.

With that, the princess of the night left Applejack's dream. Lost in thought, Luna almost didn't notice the black shape flee from the dream realm. Steeling herself, Luna began to chase after it. The dark mass sped on ahead, heedless of the alicorn chasing it. Eventually, Luna had to give up the chase, as the dark mass had managed to out pace her and disappear. But not before Luna heard a laugh. Not a happy laugh, but a dark, evil one that sent chills up her spine.